Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Year 1 & 2 FO take home , single

ChuckMK23
10-04-2019, 07:51 PM
Ball park take home not including post IOE and 1 year bonus... Thank you.

HalyardJammer
10-04-2019, 08:32 PM
How much are you planning to contribute to your 401k? Cheapest insurance? Where do you live?

Assuming you live in a state without a state income tax, expect reserve pay, 6% 401k, 12% federal tax, and the cheapest insurance to be roughly 1300 or 1400 per check. Lot of variables need to be answered to get a better number.

ChuckMK23
10-05-2019, 03:51 AM
Thank you!

Is pay bi weekly or 1st and 15th?

HalyardJammer
10-05-2019, 05:54 AM
Thank you!

Is pay bi weekly or 1st and 15th?

15th and last business day of the month.

Pedro4President
10-05-2019, 08:04 AM
CA or FO? .....

Crimson37Roger
10-05-2019, 08:37 AM
CA or FO? .....

Bro it says it in the title of the thread? .....

HalyardJammer
10-05-2019, 10:21 AM
CA or FO? .....

I got it covered.

Sasquatched
10-05-2019, 05:12 PM
I live in a state with state income tax and the middle health insurance package. Without picking up OT, I get around $2300/month take home. Iím on reserve, second year pay.

CaseTractor
10-05-2019, 05:17 PM
I live in a state with state income tax and the middle health insurance package. Without picking up OT, I get around $2300/month take home. Iím on reserve, second year pay.

Saaasssssqqqqquuuuaaaaattttcccccchhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

.......Survivor

Sasquatched
10-05-2019, 05:19 PM
Saaasssssqqqqquuuuaaaaattttcccccchhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

.......Survivor

Lol, busted. RIP

ChuckMK23
10-06-2019, 02:56 PM

How does one get by? I mean that rhetorical ly of course. That's far less than recruiters have been touting - that generally Y1 and 2 FO's are making almost $65K gross.

That's a disheartening low amount of pay and I get it that's the reality of the job. So I'm just waxxing out loud. I either go back to a career that pays six figures that I am burned out on at 55 or start over as an FO bringing home barely enough to cover my bare living expenses to commute . It's a tough choice for me!

I learned to fly in the Navy, and have always been a CFI on the side. I'd love to make jump to 121.

I admire you younger guys who are making the short term sacrifice and working hard to learn the industry for rewards later on!

pitchattitude
10-06-2019, 03:15 PM
How does one get by? I mean that rhetorical ly of course. That's far less than recruiters have been touting - that generally Y1 and 2 FO's are making almost $65K gross.

That's a disheartening low amount of pay and I get it that's the reality of the job. So I'm just waxxing out loud. I either go back to a career that pays six figures that I am burned out on at 55 or start over as an FO bringing home barely enough to cover my bare living expenses to commute . It's a tough choice for me!

I learned to fly in the Navy, and have always been a CFI on the side. I'd love to make jump to 121.

I admire you younger guys who are making the short term sacrifice and working hard to learn the industry for rewards later on!
I canít find the pay breakout on the Envoy careers page and certainly not justifying the pay, but the numbers that recruiting publish include per diem, which you do see in monthly check, and as I recall it also Includes value of commuter hotels, and may include company contributions to insurance and 401k. Big one is the sign on bonus which has been restructured. Have to take what you have left over after taxes on that first one and stretch it out the first year.

Or you can live in your parents basement or find a spouse that can support your aviation habit. Thereís a reason there is still a tight market of pilots willing to work for commuters. If you really want to fly for a living try a 135 place. If youíre 55, and donít have another source of income, you might not see the return on flying for a commuter. You said you learned to fly in the Navy, if you have a few thousand Navy FW hours, a fresh 121 type and currency will likely get you a call to at least an LCC before too long. Just have to suck it up until then.

ChuckMK23
10-06-2019, 03:51 PM
I canít find the pay breakout on the Envoy careers page and certainly not justifying the pay, but the numbers that recruiting publish include per diem, which you do see in monthly check, and as I recall it also Includes value of commuter hotels, and may include company contributions to insurance and 401k. Big one is the sign on bonus which has been restructured. Have to take what you have left over after taxes on that first one and stretch it out the first year.

Or you can live in your parents basement or find a spouse that can support your aviation habit. Thereís a reason there is still a tight market of pilots willing to work for commuters. If you really want to fly for a living try a 135 place. If youíre 55, and donít have another source of income, you might not see the return on flying for a commuter. You said you learned to fly in the Navy, if you have a few thousand Navy FW hours, a fresh 121 type and currency will likely get you a call to at least an LCC before too long. Just have to suck it up until then.

Former Helo Navy Helo guy with only 600 fixed wing hours, 4000 hours TT. You're right I may have to suck it up. Good reality check! I appreciate the info.

havick206
10-06-2019, 04:00 PM
Former Helo Navy Helo guy with only 600 fixed wing hours, 4000 hours TT. You're right I may have to suck it up. Good reality check! I appreciate the info.

A lot of the military helo guys bounced to JetBlue and Spirit at around the 18-24 month mark at Envoy. You might be able to do it in a little less time given then fact youíre not entire helo.

CLE to IAH
10-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Quick upgrade can help..... I live in Texas and my envoy FO checks (in training) are 17xx each time.

Now. Thatís with increased per diem but also decreased MMG so ymmv.

Hoping to upgrade this go round or next

Also, my kids are all on wifeís insurance and Iím pretty healthy and donít use flex accounts etc. so I donít have a big of an expense there

I know itís not great. Itís better than the 450 and 600 checks I was getting at XJT on reserve for three years.

BigZ
10-06-2019, 10:16 PM
Quick upgrade can help..... I live in Texas and my envoy FO checks (in training) are 17xx each time.

Now. Thatís with increased per diem but also decreased MMG so ymmv.

Hoping to upgrade this go round or next

Also, my kids are all on wifeís insurance and Iím pretty healthy and donít use flex accounts etc. so I donít have a big of an expense there

I know itís not great. Itís better than the 450 and 600 checks I was getting at XJT on reserve for three years.
Heads up, first couple of check out of training will be bad. Month after that the per diem will start to show up there and it will be a touch better

jake cutter
10-07-2019, 11:06 AM
How does one get by?

Marry up or live at home with mom and dad. Or just have a really good side hustle.

HalyardJammer
10-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Marry up or live at home with mom and dad. Or just have a really good side hustle.

Or work OT.

Chato
10-07-2019, 06:59 PM
Or work OT.

OT in the 145 is not even worth it

Captain Kirk
10-07-2019, 07:47 PM

Amen!!
Commute in for an ORF turn or the long RDU overnight worth 3.38. No thanks

HalyardJammer
10-07-2019, 09:19 PM

If folks are struggling to pay their bills or get ahead in life, OT is a valid option. It's not all Waco turns. There is a bunch of good flying.

HalyardJammer
10-07-2019, 09:21 PM
Amen!!
Commute in for an ORF turn or the long RDU overnight worth 3.38. No thanks

So how does the company make you specifically, happy?

Captain Kirk
10-08-2019, 03:06 AM
So how does the company make you specifically, happy?

Who ever said I wasnít happy? 🤔
We were talking about OT on the 145.
As far as answering your question, my beefs with Envoy are minimal.
I come to work, do my job, go home and help the Union as much as possible. Occasionally I scratch my head at some of schedulingís antics but all in all this beats working for a living 😁😁

NoValueAviator
10-08-2019, 04:52 AM
The OT does suck around here. Hey, letís do a 6 hour two day that isnít commutable on either end. Or a 9 hour 3 day. Thatís totally a productive use of my time off.

jake cutter
10-08-2019, 08:29 AM
OT is only good if you are senior enough to get a chunky turn or two. Otherwise itís 2-3 hr scraps.