Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : CommutAir or Trans States?

everett_cessna_pilot
05-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Well I have offers at both. I am leaning more towards Commut for the days off. I will be living in Seattle and commuting back and forth. Any ideas on which to take? All responses negative or positive will be appreciated!

Laxrox43
05-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Commutair...upgrade time is faster. Plus you will have no affiliation with GoJets (Trans States Holdings) whatsoever...

The reason I say that is because my friends roomate from college finished his Indoc test w/ Trans States, and they said "oh by the way, you will be flying the CR7 for GoJets, not the EMB145 for TS..." --- and now the kid is screwed...

Good luck.

kremit14
05-06-2007, 07:40 PM
hold out longer build your time and go to a better company then both of those.

Pilotpip
05-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Commutair...upgrade time is faster. Plus you will have no affiliation with GoJets (Trans States Holdings) whatsoever...

The reason I say that is because my friends roomate from college finished his Indoc test w/ Trans States, and they said "oh by the way, you will be flying the CR7 for GoJets, not the EMB145 for TS..." --- and now the kid is screwed...

Good luck.

They haven't pulled that stunt in a while. Go for whatever location suits you best and offers you what you want.

everett_cessna_pilot
05-06-2007, 07:59 PM
well Commut has more days off and treats their pilots better from what i have seen. I was at mesa for a month in training and got screwed over left and right. so im sure that life would be better then mesa! the think is i dont know too much about Trans States.

Korean1DR
05-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Well I have offers at both. I am leaning more towards Commut for the days off. I will be living in Seattle and commuting back and forth. Any ideas on which to take? All responses negative or positive will be appreciated!

Quality of life my friend... that is the key...;)

ERJ135
05-07-2007, 06:00 AM
I spent some time at Commutair. You will be treated well. They are a good group of pilots and managers. Based up in Plattsburgh I saw the DO and CEO on a regular basis when I was working and its an open door policy with them. You can go see them with any concerns. So FWIW when I was there I was based in Plattsburgh and there was an FO that commuted from SEA. I guess he had something like a boat ride, then a train, and then bus ride just to get to the airport. Over an hour ride. Then direct to BOS, then to the Burgh from the there. So its possible. Good luck in whatever you chose. I talked to my buddies up there they said they are really short staffed. Total opposite when I was there. I flew like 160hrs in 6 months when I was there sitting reserve. So if you want hours and you'll probably be in the Dash 8 before long thats the place to be. Just my two cents.

BoilerUP
05-07-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm pretty sure Commutair just took a day off away from EVERYBODY at the company due to lack of crews...commute from friggin SEATTLE to the east coast to fly for a regional? You're just asking for a life of pain right there...

kansas
05-07-2007, 06:44 AM
As with most decisions of this nature, determine your priorities. Pay, base, ease of commute, company culture/philosophy, days off, equipment, industry reputation...

And see which one hits more of your higher priorities. Good luck.

iflyjets4food
05-07-2007, 08:17 AM
I vote neither. Keep instructing, or whatever you are doing to build time until you can go someplace better.

Laxrox43
05-07-2007, 08:26 AM
These folks have some good points. Can't you hold out just a little longer for Skywest, or Horizon?...wait for it...wait for it...

It will come before you know it bud...

Heck, even try to do something with a base in Denver or something with a midwest base. Your commute will be a little more bareable...

Burt Reynolds
05-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Wait and go somewhere better than both. Commuting blows no matter how far you have to go, but if I were you I'd rather commute to SkyWest or Horizon.

ghilis101
05-07-2007, 01:35 PM
can you get the dash as a new hire or are they putting all new hires in the Beech at commutair? man thats hard core flying in the northeast in the winter without an autopilot, in icing conditions, flying approaches to minimums. good luck

beeker
05-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Commutair DID just take 2 days away from everyone but they are paying for it. We do have a guy commuting from seattle and he can't stand it. If trans states has less then 10 days off every 28 days wow! Commutair has been fine for me but I wouldn't recommend anyone comming here with other people hiring right now. Upgrades are just as fast at 2 or 3 other regionals that are much better and remember fast upgrade now is for the people hired 2 years ago not the people hired today. But if you do come welcome aboard and if you do come that will allow me to upgrade see you on the line. We are short staffed get ready to fly.

beeker
05-07-2007, 01:49 PM
New hires will start getting the Dash shortly, next class or two.

everett_cessna_pilot
05-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Well thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like im headed back to being a CFI for a few more months and waiting out for Horizon. The fiance will like that news. What is the hiring looking like for Horizon?

ExperimentalAB
05-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Not good...I think you'll be holding out for Horizon for a LONG time...keep your options open elsewhere!

labbats
05-08-2007, 04:38 AM
Go to whichever doesn't have a training contract and keep updating your resume to Skywest and Horizon. Your odds of getting a call increase by being 121 current.

Bmcfly23
05-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Tsa's minimum is 10 days off for reserve and 11 for a lineholder. The lowest line for FO's this month had 13 days off. I also have never heard of them pulling the stunt of switching you to blowjets after your there for TSA.

Commuting sucks!!

Do what will give you the best QOL

peace

everett_cessna_pilot
05-08-2007, 09:10 AM
yeah looks like im going to hold out for horizon or skywest. that way ill stay west coast based at least. thanks for the input.

flynavyj
05-08-2007, 09:26 AM
probably a good decision, if you're from the west coast, i'd hope for skywest or horizon so you can be close to your home, if that's where you want to stay.

given that transstates sux at passing people through training, not having a training contract doesn't negate the fact that a good percentage of pilots won't pass tsa's training, and washout with the red X...so i'd say, stay away from here if you can.

flyerfly
05-08-2007, 10:42 AM
First off WE at TSA have nothing to do with GoJet. They are simply owned by the same company. We don't affiliate ourselves with them. And to be honest with you I really don't think about them that much. Its time waisted. Another thing. Think about it this way. If you have a good amount of PIC in general aviation airplanes just do like everyone else is doing. Come to TSA get a type and some time in it and leave!!! Thats what I'm doing and I tell you I don't regret it for a minute. Flying this thing is way more fun then flight instructing and I'm doing 89 hrs a month and getting paid for it. Don't flight instruct over an airline job thats just dumb. Unless you really like flight instructing. We have a motto at TSA. TSA trains them Chataqua hires them. As for me Air Wisconsin here I come!!!

flyerfly
05-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Oh and Skywest loves hiring TSA people. I have a buddie with 700 tt and about 150 in the jet who has an interview with skywest.

ghilis101
05-08-2007, 11:38 AM
is skw making tsa people fly the sim or are they exempt from it in the interview?

CRJ1000
05-08-2007, 07:59 PM
is skw making tsa people fly the sim or are they exempt from it in the interview?
1 1/2 years ago the sim was for everyone...even current 121 guys. Not sure about now. I had a Eagle friend who was sent home after messing up the sim several month ago. They told him to come back in 6 months.
The sim is not to bad...just like any other ME sim you have seen.

xjtr
05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
xjet is hiring... west coast bases... quick upgrades...
Also what is important for you? qol? money? quick upgrade? A lot of people go to Horizon for the money but I think that you could go to skywest or xjet and upgrade in 2 years or so and make more money than a Horizon fo that has been there for that long. Of course nothing is guaranteed... the majors will all be hiring soon and pic is what they seem to be looking for jet or tprop..

everett_cessna_pilot
05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
yeah i do want to stay on the west coast. quality of life is what i want. plus i only have 500 and 80. I feel more experience would be better. I would go with Express if I can get a LAX or ONT base. All of my family and my fiance are here. So back to being a cfi for another 500 hours. Plus I can finish up my business degree then! Then I will apply to Horizon, Skywest and Express. Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. Helped me figure out what is a better way to go!

ghilis101
05-09-2007, 03:05 AM
The sim is not to bad...just like any other ME sim you have seen.

well the reason i ask is because i thought that sim was highly inappropriate for jet guys. and no, i had never seen an ATC sim prior to interviewing at skywest

Shrek
05-09-2007, 05:06 AM
I vote neither. Keep instructing, or whatever you are doing to build time until you can go someplace better.

Ding ding ding.........we have a W I N N E R .;)

Shrek
05-09-2007, 05:10 AM
well the reason i ask is because i thought that sim was highly inappropriate for jet guys. and no, i had never seen an ATC sim prior to interviewing at skywest

I guess you won't be going to United, Continental, etc etc.

Get used to it..........continual training till we are 65.

BoilerUP
05-09-2007, 05:14 AM
I *think* he meant jumping into a piston twin FTD when you've been flying a jet for a while. If you threw me into a Baron Frasca at this point I could fly the thing just fine, and I could survive an engine failure at rotation...but it sure wouldn't be pretty.

I kinda felt the same way a few months back when I got in a King Air - "WTF are all these black knobs for? Okay these on the left are the power levers, but what about these other four? Props are in the middle...oh yeah, reduce to 1800 after takeoff...but what about those on the far right? Mixtures, I got it! No wait, that's not it...condition...conditioner...condition levers! AHA!"

;)
:D

ghilis101
05-09-2007, 05:30 AM
thanks Boiler. for those of us that came from jets, that sim was not a true indication of flying skill. not to mention those of use who were flying glass before were screwed. dont get me wrong i still flew the thing and got the job, but im just pointing out that its a ridiculous way to test somebody whos coming from another jet

CFI's eat that sim up because its their bread and butter. thats why im wondering if SKW has waived the sim requirement for people with an SIC type in a crj or erj, or people with any other jet type

POPA
05-09-2007, 06:00 AM
Don't flight instruct over an airline job thats just dumb.

:rolleyes: