Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : ATL base for New Hire F/O's?

lbell
10-14-2019, 11:39 PM
What is the possibility of getting ATL straight out of training?

Or how long is the average waiting time to transfer to ATL as a new hire F/O?

Thanks in advance!!

Philknight
10-15-2019, 02:19 AM
Probability is zero or just a little less than zero.

Casualinterest
10-15-2019, 03:01 AM
What is the possibility of getting ATL straight out of training?

Or how long is the average waiting time to transfer to ATL as a new hire F/O?

Thanks in advance!!After the new planes get here and all the vacancies are done who knows. But I fly with FO's who only spent a month or two somewhere else. I don't think it'll be impossible. There are plenty of 3-9 month FO's in ATL. Now you'll be on reserve for a year at least. But it's possible

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lbell
10-15-2019, 06:30 AM
Thanks. My sister lives her & my GF too. So would be awesome if I could get ATL.

Flogger
10-15-2019, 06:50 AM
Thanks. My sister lives her & my GF too. So would be awesome if I could get ATL.

It is a complicated thing. You CAN get ATL as a newhire, but it is unlikely. You CAN switch to ATL fairly quickly, but there are restrictions, such as equipment locks.

Be ready to not get to ATL quickly and be ready to not get to ATL for a while.

VoiceOfReason
10-15-2019, 09:29 AM
It is a complicated thing. You CAN get ATL as a newhire, but it is unlikely. You CAN switch to ATL fairly quickly, but there are restrictions, such as equipment locks.

Be ready to not get to ATL quickly and be ready to not get to ATL for a while.

Our commuter policy will make this a lot easier. Talk to a recruiter, not us curmudgeons here on the message boards.

Flogger
10-15-2019, 10:14 AM
Our commuter policy will make this a lot easier. Talk to a recruiter, not us curmudgeons here on the message boards.

As a curmudgeon who was fed BS by a recruiter who had most likely been fed BS about ATL, I agree with you referring to me as a curmudgeon, but I think my advice on this is sound and not the least bit negative.

Casualinterest
10-15-2019, 06:37 PM
As a curmudgeon who was fed BS by a recruiter who had most likely been fed BS about ATL, I agree with you referring to me as a curmudgeon, but I think my advice on this is sound and not the least bit negative.To be fair, I think the company really did anticipate it becoming our largest base. The math all changed when the erj plan fell through. We've heard this from multiple people at the executive level. I think we kinda just got the rug pulled out from under us and it left a lot of hopeful ATL people holding the bag. Not that there's a ton of sympathy from the mem or MSP 200 commuters. But yea it still kinda sucks. I'm still holding out cautious optimism that oo will slowly start to fade away in ATL.

KSCessnaDriver
10-16-2019, 04:20 AM
To be fair, I think the company really did anticipate it becoming our largest base. The math all changed when the erj plan fell through. We've heard this from multiple people at the executive level. I think we kinda just got the rug pulled out from under us and it left a lot of hopeful ATL people holding the bag. Not that there's a ton of sympathy from the mem or MSP 200 commuters. But yea it still kinda sucks. I'm still holding out cautious optimism that oo will slowly start to fade away in ATL.

The only way we grow in ATL at this point is 200 flying. Somehow I doubt we add more 200s again, but crazier things have happened.

bonanza
12-16-2019, 01:58 PM
You can get ATL at Skywest just after training.

ComanchePilot
12-18-2019, 06:56 PM
I'm a new hire FO. My class date was in August 2019. Our experience may help answer this question.

Of my class of 12, seven live near Atlanta and four live near Detroit. We were all assigned NYC initially.

During our ground school, there was a vacancy bid. In this bid, everyone who wanted Detroit got Detroit (effective January 1).

During our sim training, there was another vacancy bid. In this bid, everyone who wanted Atlanta got Atlanta (effective February 1).

This is no guarantee of future results, but in the case of my class, no one has to spend more than 2 months at a base other than the one they wanted. (Note: We were assigned the 200. Results might vary for 900 FOs.)

ASAPsafetyGUY
12-19-2019, 07:36 AM

Sister or GF. Hmmmmm.

ASAPsafetyGUY
12-19-2019, 07:39 AM
I'm a new hire FO. My class date was in August 2019. Our experience may help answer this question.

Of my class of 12, seven live near Atlanta and four live near Detroit. We were all assigned NYC initially.

During our ground school, there was a vacancy bid. In this bid, everyone who wanted Detroit got Detroit (effective January 1).

During our sim training, there was another vacancy bid. In this bid, everyone who wanted Atlanta got Atlanta (effective February 1).

This is no guarantee of future results, but in the case of my class, no one has to spend more than 2 months at a base other than the one they wanted. (Note: We were assigned the 200. Results might vary for 900 FOs.)

For a second there I thought I was reading a QRH procedure. lol. Welcome

pad39a
12-19-2019, 08:32 AM
I'm a new hire FO. My class date was in August 2019. Our experience may help answer this question....

Good things happen to those who fly Comanches

Beehan
12-19-2019, 08:01 PM
How much are ATL FO's flying on reserve? I heard it was slow earlier in the year but looking for any changes. Would you expect like a year on reserve in ATL while flying only 10-20 hours a month, a 2-3 year upgrade, and then more slowness on reserve after upgrade?

Casualinterest
12-20-2019, 01:18 AM
How much are ATL FO's flying on reserve? I heard it was slow earlier in the year but looking for any changes. Would you expect like a year on reserve in ATL while flying only 10-20 hours a month, a 2-3 year upgrade, and then more slowness on reserve after upgrade?That's accurate now. No idea what it will look like.

RJdriver89
12-20-2019, 06:45 AM
How much are ATL FO's flying on reserve? I heard it was slow earlier in the year but looking for any changes. Would you expect like a year on reserve in ATL while flying only 10-20 hours a month, a 2-3 year upgrade, and then more slowness on reserve after upgrade?

FOs on the -200 are more in the 30-50 hour realm looking at the resource report.