Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Experience gap

Colorado Max
10-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Hey everybody. I am 58 years old and haven't flown a plane in 20 years. I have an ATP, 2500 military hours, lots of PIC, multi engine, etc. Considering pursuing a flying career. Am I wasting my time, or is there a real possibility of getting hired. Thanks.

Excargodog
10-15-2019, 01:13 PM
Real possibility. Get current and do a year at a regional. A new type rating and 500 hrs SIC will convince people you are serious. I’d probably lower my sights to the LCCs after that, just to get somewhere you can hold left seat awhile before retiring.

If you are still gung-ho after age 65, there is Part 91 flying.

galaxy flyer
10-15-2019, 02:50 PM
As a former chief pilot of large-ish corporate flight department, here’s my interview question, “where’ve you been the last 20 years?” Aviation is still about dedication, experience and persistence, your resume screams, “well, times are good, I’ll try it now”.

Don’t get me wrong, corporate flight departments are short experienced pilots, Solairus has something like a half dozen G6000 openings right now and they’ve been open for awhile. You very well could latch onto a good job.

GF

Colorado Max
10-18-2019, 02:54 PM
As a former chief pilot of large-ish corporate flight department, here’s my interview question, “where’ve you been the last 20 years?” Aviation is still about dedication, experience and persistence, your resume screams, “well, times are good, I’ll try it now”.

Don’t get me wrong, corporate flight departments are short experienced pilots, Solairus has something like a half dozen G6000 openings right now and they’ve been open for awhile. You very well could latch onto a good job.

GF
Thank you sir. I appreciate your perspective, and I know I have a major resume obstacle to overcome. Based on your experience as a Chief Pilot, can you offer any advice on how to overcome that obstacle? What can I do now to make myself hirable?

galaxy flyer
10-19-2019, 12:00 PM
Well, as other posters put, get with a regional pass the type ride and IOE, get some line experience.

In an interview, be honest and upfront about the long break—“I had responsibilities, other opportunities, I realize it looks like aviation is just a “retirement gig” but have regained experience and skills. In a corporate interview, you should have some outside aviation talents that are valuable or interesting. Lots of corporate operators put a lot value there

TiredSoul
10-19-2019, 03:33 PM
You “left the industry” in what...’99?
I don’t know but it may have been a difficult year hiring wise and you had a decision to make about supporting your family yadayadayada.
I don’t see anything wrong with it.
You could still retire at 65 as a Captain at a Regional.
Alternatively get current at a Regional and apply with one of the ACMI carriers.