Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commuting from CLT

Jman85
10-27-2019, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know how the commute from CLT is?

Jma313
10-27-2019, 05:20 PM

There are a ton of commuters from PSA who live in MEM and commute to and from CLT but itís generally not too bad.

Jman85
10-27-2019, 05:54 PM
Thanks. Figured having American flights doesnít hurt.
Wasnít sure how often Fedex flies to MEM each night.

Riverside
10-27-2019, 09:06 PM

You know there's a way to find out how many flights there are.

rvfanatic
10-27-2019, 11:59 PM

http://www2.alpa.org/fdx/jumpseat/default.aspx

Pretty good movement of FedEx iron between the two. Live on lake Norman and enjoy!

Jman85
10-28-2019, 06:25 AM
I wish I could afford Lake Norman, gotta get hired first :)

Do a lot of trips start around midnight? Looks like that night flight gets in around 11pm.

As much as Iíd love to live in base in CLT, I donít want to wait another 5 years for the flow.

UnusualAttitude
10-28-2019, 06:47 AM
I wish I could afford Lake Norman, gotta get hired first :)

Do a lot of trips start around midnight? Looks like that night flight gets in around 11pm.

As much as Iíd love to live in base in CLT, I donít want to wait another 5 years for the flow.

Most of the trips on the AM side start between 2 and 4 AM.

Getting in at 11pm would work out for most of the AM commutes.

-UA

Stonewall
10-28-2019, 06:58 AM
There are quite a few Fedex pilots living in the Charlotte area, suburbs, and even out by the mountains who commute to MEM on FedEx metal. Jumpseat are pretty full especially at the beginning and end of the weeks.

Jman85
10-28-2019, 07:39 AM
How long till one can hold DHs at the start/end of trips?
I figure thatís the best case scenario one day. Being able to positive space myself to wherever the plane is since I live in a hub.

blinkpilot182
10-28-2019, 08:20 AM

Looks like you live in MEM? I commuted to CLT from FLL for a while a few years ago. It was an easy commute. It was even easy on holidays for the most part. Hub cities aren't so bad. AA runs multiple flights a day to MEM. Not sure what Purple does but I know they are in and out for sure. Doubt you'll have any big issues.

-blink

Jman85
10-28-2019, 08:22 AM
Live in CLT.
5 years till flow. Doing everything I can to not have to wait for that...

Thrust Hold
10-28-2019, 09:16 AM
How long till one can hold DHs at the start/end of trips?
I figure thatís the best case scenario one day. Being able to positive space myself to wherever the plane is since I live in a hub.

Depends on which plane you get. Results can vary greatly. 75 may be your quickest route to holding DHís.

Rajplt
10-28-2019, 12:58 PM
I did the CLT commute for a year. Very easy. Something to consider is that GSO is a pretty busy location especially on the 757. I have a buddy in Concord and he drives up to GSO and picks up his trips there. Good luck

Jman85
10-28-2019, 01:24 PM
I did the CLT commute for a year. Very easy. Something to consider is that GSO is a pretty busy location especially on the 757. I have a buddy in Concord and he drives up to GSO and picks up his trips there. Good luck

GSO is about 90 min away. Iíd absolutely do that. Thanks for the info. I have a buddy on the 75 (lives in MSP) and he loves it.

Just gotta get that interview