Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Reserve Abus and Boeing in LAX

Happydayz
10-31-2019, 07:36 AM
I am curious what its like on reserve in LAX. Do you get the minimum call of 2 hours? Assigned much earlier? Percentages? Etc....
Also, how many hours are you flying per month? Days off at home if you can sit at home on reserve?

Thanks

HappyD

CaptTrashy
11-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Depends, Short Call or Long Call. Short call is 2 hour call, Long is 12.5 hours. Short call has different time zones like 0300/0900/1300/1700. Long call you are placed into rest upon assignment. Where is home? Reserve utilization changes month to month so it’s hard to answer that. There are five monthly periods off 120hrs, 72hrs, and two 48hrs.

ShyGuy
12-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Flew with a LAX 320 FO who was hired early July 2019 that had a regular line for this month, December.

VirginEskimo
12-07-2019, 09:21 PM
I note the title says ďAbusĒ. I believe one letter was left off. Did you mean to spell ďAirbusĒ or ďAbuseĒ?

pipewrench
12-08-2019, 04:50 PM
Flew with a LAX 320 FO who was hired early July 2019 that had a regular line for this month, December.
Not even close, 2 years and awarded the last open flying line. Most likely back on reserve in January.

pipewrench
12-08-2019, 04:57 PM
If you live in base it’s not bad 79 hour guarantee for 2 hour short call and 75 for long call. Very rarely get 2 hour call outs, most often assigned the night prior. I work on average 6 days a month on short call and unusual months are 15 days max. You can pick up if you want to around 95 hours. Those who commute get abused for some reason and work way more than I do.

ShyGuy
12-08-2019, 10:25 PM
Not even close, 2 years and awarded the last open flying line. Most likely back on reserve in January.

Oops, yes he said it was an OF line.

ShyGuy
12-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Oops, yes he said it was an OF line.

If you live in base itís not bad 79 hour guarantee for 2 hour short call and 75 for long call. Very rarely get 2 hour call outs, most often assigned the night prior. I work on average 6 days a month on short call and unusual months are 15 days max. You can pick up if you want to around 95 hours. Those who commute get abused for some reason and work way more than I do.

Reserves can pick up more than 95. Itís a pay only thing. You can pick up as much as you can get away with as long as you still have rest before/after reserve block days.

miker1
12-09-2019, 07:21 AM
Not sure why, lax 73 fo reserves getting beat up this month. Premium several times a day multiple days already

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CaptTrashy
12-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Not sure why, lax 73 fo reserves getting beat up this month. Premium several times a day multiple days already

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Because there arenít any available this month. Have you seen the list?

TheRotorTrash
01-29-2020, 07:13 AM
Which fleet flies fewer redeyes out of LAX? Are their any general opinions about which is the better aircraft to be on in terms of QOL and pairing quality?

ShyGuy
01-29-2020, 09:11 AM
The Airbus isnít doing any red eyes at the moment. Even when we did as Alaska, at best it was about 3-5 from each base. The Boeing has taken over the bulk of the east coast flying and therefore do lots of redeyes. QOL is going to turn into an A vs B debate which I wonít go into. Paring quality would depend on what you like. Airbus does have 5 day pairings which the Boeing does not. At the moment all Hawaii is Boeing only. The Bus has turned to mostly up/down the west coast with some midcons. All of this is subject to change, standard disclaimer.

TheRotorTrash
01-29-2020, 12:56 PM
Thank you. I appreciate the info.