Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Hiring Pool

Hacker15e
11-06-2019, 04:30 AM
According to emails sent to a couple applicants who interviewed in September, Purple is officially back to having a hiring pool.

We want to congratulate you again on successfully
completing the FedEx Express Crewmember interview
process! As we are approaching Fed Ex's peak season, we are
reducing the size and number of Basic Indoctrination {BI)
classes. Currently, we do not have a Bl class to offer you, you
are in our hiring "Pool" and we look forward to getting you
started.

We will stay in touch with you to keep you updated and hope
your interest in working at FedEx continues and you are able
to join our team. We encourage you to make your
employment decisions based on what you believe is best for
you, your family, and your career. We will let you know when
Bl classes are scheduled; Bl classes are ftlled in the order
applicants were interviewed. You will be scheduled for class
before applicants who successfully complete the interview
process after you.

Skytrucker01
11-06-2019, 05:05 AM
The pool is real. Late Aug successful interview...no call yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viperdriver180
11-06-2019, 05:09 AM
The last line of that email indicates Ďfirst in-first outí of the pool..contrary to the folks at Brown..

Skytrucker01
11-06-2019, 05:17 AM
Letís hope so!

switch monkey
11-06-2019, 05:24 AM
The last line of that email indicates Ďfirst in-first outí of the pool..contrary to the folks at Brown..

And contrary to purple, circa 2006. Ask me how I know...

rvfanatic
11-06-2019, 05:31 AM

That was garbage. I was fortunate enough to get the first class date I was available for brown (didnít accept), but many are not. It gives no predictability or stability to applicants. Although unfortunate that hiring is slowing, FedEx is doing it right w this style pool.

RST said today ďRecent poolies that were told they could expect a class in January are now being told to expect a class date next summer.Ē

wrxpilot
11-06-2019, 05:41 AM
That was garbage. I was fortunate enough to get the first class date I was available for brown (didnít accept), but many are not. It gives no predictability or stability to applicants. Although unfortunate that hiring is slowing, FedEx is doing it right w this style pool.

RST said today ďRecent poolies that were told they could expect a class in January are now being told to expect a class date next summer.Ē

Meanwhile every other major is hiring like crazy. This is a decent place, but absolutely not worth waiting until summer for. Keep interviewing folks, and get some numbers behind you. Seems like a good time to get hired at UAL/DAL/AMR.

Moosefire
11-06-2019, 07:18 AM
Meanwhile every other major is hiring like crazy. This is a decent place, but absolutely not worth waiting until summer for. Keep interviewing folks, and get some numbers behind you. Seems like a good time to get hired at UAL/DAL/AMR.

Both Delta and United have pressed the pause button on hiring at least once in the last two years (I think United didnít hire for about 5 months). Doesnít strike me as all that crazy that we do the same every once in a while.

rvfanatic
11-06-2019, 09:50 AM
Both Delta and United have pressed the pause button on hiring at least once in the last two years (I think United didnít hire for about 5 months). Doesnít strike me as all that crazy that we do the same every once in a while.

As a FDX shareholder, the performance of FDX vs UAL and DAL are vastly different in the last two years. I feel this slow down means much more at FDX given the atmospherics surrounding it and the consistently poor quarterly returns. It may not be #1 choice for many given the short term fluctuations. I hope it rebounds soon. Fred is a smart guy. Time will tell.

opt0712
11-06-2019, 12:17 PM
As a FDX shareholder, the performance of FDX vs UAL and DAL are vastly different in the last two years. I feel this slow down means much more at FDX given the atmospherics surrounding it and the consistently poor quarterly returns. It may not be #1 choice for many given the short term fluctuations. I hope it rebounds soon. Fred is a smart guy. Time will tell.

Thank you for being a shareholder. Alas, and as you know economic conditions affect FedEx vastly different than UAL or any Legacy. Those that want to be here shouldn't make that decision based on "short term fluctuations."

howardhughes8
11-06-2019, 02:29 PM
Those that want to be here shouldn't make that decision based on "short term fluctuations."

That is the million dollar question, and one that we will only know many years after. Are Fedex hiccups a speed bump or a structural/business decision/fundamentals problem? Maybe over extended? Not saying this is the case, but what I am saying is the business environment is changing at a much more rapid pace than the past, and some companies fail to adapt quickly enough.

rvfanatic
11-06-2019, 02:41 PM
That is the million dollar question, and one that we will only know many years after. Are Fedex hiccups a speed bump or a structural/business decision/fundamentals problem? Maybe over extended? Not saying this is the case, but what I am saying is the business environment is changing at a much more rapid pace than the past, and some companies fail to adapt quickly enough.

As of Sept. 30th, UPS was up a market-beating 23% year to date and the FDX is down 11%. UPS' dividend also yields over 3% compared to FedEx's less than 2%. Source: the google machine.

Itís obvious which company is adapting and which is behind. Although, itís important to note that purple had over 50% of the market share in China while UPS less than 10%, so the tariffs are crushing purple. I have lots of friends at FDX and wish the company the best. But I would look very closely at purple given the turbulence. Does 76yr old Mr Smith have a succession plan in place? Lots of uncertainty.

BoilerUP
11-06-2019, 02:45 PM
FDX is going to be just fine...

rvfanatic
11-06-2019, 03:38 PM
FDX is going to be just fine...

Whistling past the graveyard :D

Fdxlag2
11-06-2019, 04:09 PM
Whistling past the graveyard :D

Iíll let you know when the check doesnít clear.

howardhughes8
11-06-2019, 06:12 PM
Iíll let you know when the check doesnít clear.

I most definitely would not worry about the check clearing!! My only feedback/opinion is geared towards potential new hires. Not doom and gloom, but not shooting stars either. Whoever is at Fedex 1+ years will be just fine, no doubt. But to your point, according to a previous post, if true, Fedex had 50% market share, an American company in China, how long was that going to last?? From a very broad point of view, it seems Fred has put a lot of eggs in one very unstable basket. Maybe he is right, maybe he isnít, but one thing is for certain, and this applies to all industries, 75+ year olds are not the revolutionaries/visionaries in the world, and maybe, just maybe his vision hasnít adapted fast enough to this ever changing global commerce world. China is important (as a trade partner, as a society they are a bunch of intellectual property thieves), but placing many eggs in a market you have little control over....

Noworkallplay
11-06-2019, 06:16 PM
As of Sept. 30th, UPS was up a market-beating 23% year to date and the FDX is down 11%. UPS' dividend also yields over 3% compared to FedEx's less than 2%. Source: the google machine.

Itís obvious which company is adapting and which is behind. Although, itís important to note that purple had over 50% of the market share in China while UPS less than 10%, so the tariffs are crushing purple. I have lots of friends at FDX and wish the company the best. But I would look very closely at purple given the turbulence. Does 76yr old Mr Smith have a succession plan in place? Lots of uncertainty.

So what employer are you at thats so stable and never has itís hurdles? We just dumped our girlfriend (Amazon), which helped brown Immensely. We also are heavily vested in Asia and we also have the Brexit issue. So I bet when those small items get ironed out things will turn. This isnít the first time purple had a hurdle and found a way to jump over it.

howardhughes8
11-06-2019, 06:21 PM
So what employer are you at thats so stable and never has itís hurdles? We just dumped our girlfriend (Amazon), which helped brown Immensely. We also are heavily vested in Asia and we also have the Brexit issue. So I bet when those small items get ironed out things will turn. This isnít the first time purple had a hurdle and found a way to jump over it.

Small items??? 😳😳😳

howardhughes8
11-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Purple hitting a speedbump? No doubt. Insurmountable? Not at all. Lack of long term vision with Fred 75+? Maybe.

Again, Fedex is a global powerhouse brand, no doubt. But it seems they have been trying to get too ďcuteĒ lately, too forward looking which may or may not pan out. A mixture of NOW, medium term and some long term is probably more appropriate in this business landscape that changes every 5 minutes.

11-06-2019, 07:54 PM

Of course... more doom and gloom... Can anyone who is a real poolie verify that they were told this? I know people that were hired last year around this time and they didnít hear anything about a class date until Feb or so...

Skytrucker01
11-06-2019, 08:04 PM
I can tell you that the people in class right now are from early August successful interviews. I say successful interviews because those that interviewed in Aug did not get actual CJOs like those in Oct (the hiring Dept changed their methodology around them). There are most likely a few stragglers out there from early Aug that did not make it into the Nov class.

Everyone after that is on hold until the proverbial ďtheyĒ decide when to start classes back up. (As a poolie, I donít exactly know who makes that decision so I left it as ďtheyĒ). From direct conversations with the hiring department over a month ago, ďtheyĒ will make a decision no earlier than mid-Dec on when to crank back up and what the class size will be.

That is the first hand truth as I know it as of the end of September. Things may have changed since then but, as usual, it is hard to separate rumor from truth at times on social media. Like I said, the info above is from a direct conversation with hiring as they knew the story in the day I talked to them.

Anyone have updated facts?

Precontact
11-07-2019, 07:32 AM
Does 76yr old Mr Smith have a succession plan in place? Lots of uncertainty. Yes - his son apparently.

opt0712
11-07-2019, 07:43 AM

Looks like the ever reliably stable United. rvfanatic are you pontificating as a concerned shareholder or someone that's looking at a career here?

kronan
11-07-2019, 08:10 AM
UPS crew force a stable 2725
FedEx has expanded to 5073 (numbers according to APC)

So, naturally, as a Pilot. Iíd choose the company with the greater profitability margin and dividend payout.

Which has always been UPS.

UPS is a trucking company with some planes. FedEx is the reverse

Corkscrew
11-08-2019, 01:57 AM

Who is RST?

3pointlanding
11-08-2019, 04:01 AM
This is not big deal. Every peak season it is all hands on deck and all the flex instructors are out flying. The China problem will sort itself out and the TNT acquisition will finally sort itself out. Purple is opening a Philippine hub at the old Clark Air Base and we are making overnight deliveries from China to India and adding more cities to the European market. This tells me we are growing and positioning ourselves for the growth in e commerce. FedEx didn't get this big by stagnation. It is always moving forward.

Hacker15e
11-08-2019, 04:53 AM
Who is RST?

A former FedEx pilot who runs an interview prep company called "Ready, Set, Takeoff."

Corkscrew
11-08-2019, 08:26 AM
A former FedEx pilot who runs an interview prep company called "Ready, Set, Takeoff."

Ok, Thanks.

FXLAX
11-08-2019, 10:22 AM
UPS crew force a stable 2725

FedEx has expanded to 5073 (numbers according to APC)

So, naturally, as a Pilot. Iíd choose the company with the greater profitability margin and dividend payout.

Which has always been UPS.

UPS is a trucking company with some planes. FedEx is the reverse

In my experience, most pilots donít have either as their top three or four choices of where to go.

crwfshkid
11-08-2019, 11:14 AM
In my experience, most pilots donít have either as their top three or four choices of where to go.

Not what Iím seeing from my buddies leaving the AF recently.

hoya saxa
11-08-2019, 11:57 AM

Not at all the case from people I know in the job hunt. But we all have different sample groups I suppose.

rvfanatic
11-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Looks like the ever reliably stable United. rvfanatic are you pontificating as a concerned shareholder or someone that's looking at a career here?

Yes, yes, no.

FXLAX
11-08-2019, 06:42 PM
Not what Iím seeing from my buddies leaving the AF recently.

Not at all the case from people I know in the job hunt. But we all have different sample groups I suppose.

I donít know about the Air Force, or any military service pilots. Cargo probably fits culturally closer to military pilots compared to passenger flying. But I spent a dozen years at the regionals and the whole time I was there (and speaking with contemporaries at several other regionals), cargo came up about 10% of the time as the top tier of places to work.

Just wait, in a few years, the pilot shortage will hit cargo before it hits any passenger airline.

NewOldGuy
11-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Yep, I think the military considers it as a far higher option. Flying overnights, not so big a deal, schedule changes, not so big a deal. Passengers were an afterthought. Definitely two ways of thinking.

PA31
11-09-2019, 12:12 AM
I donít know about the Air Force, or any military service pilots. Cargo probably fits culturally closer to military pilots compared to passenger flying. But I spent a dozen years at the regionals and the whole time I was there (and speaking with contemporaries at several other regionals), cargo came up about 10% of the time as the top tier of places to work.

Just wait, in a few years, the pilot shortage will hit cargo before it hits any passenger airline.

During my decade at the regionals few of my co-workers were trying to get on at a major cargo carrier. I think this was only because our network was largely other passenger pilots who went on to fly at legacy pax airlines. I made the jump to cargo and havenít looked back since.

wrxpilot
11-09-2019, 01:47 AM

That definitely hasnít been my experience. I got hired at United and here at the same time. Despite living in a United base, I came here. I also know a guy that left United in his first year to come here, and another guy that left AA after being there for three years to come here. There was also a guy at Delta in my interview group.

FXLAX
11-09-2019, 08:09 AM
During my decade at the regionals few of my co-workers were trying to get on at a major cargo carrier. I think this was only because our network was largely other passenger pilots who went on to fly at legacy pax airlines. I made the jump to cargo and havenít looked back since.

Yes, this was more the norm. Major cargo carriers tended to be less known compared to the major pax carriers. Also, there was the perceptual differences many regional pilots had about the passenger airline lifestyle versus the cargo airline lifestyle, in that one was viewed way more ďglamorousĒ than the other. I donít know, maybe itís a generational thing?

That definitely hasnít been my experience. I got hired at United and here at the same time. Despite living in a United base, I came here. I also know a guy that left United in his first year to come here, and another guy that left AA after being there for three years to come here. There was also a guy at Delta in my interview group.

This, to me, was definitely the exception. Just as I ended up here instead of any passenger airline. My first choice was FedEx. But over the years, that changed for personal reasons. Then I came back around when circumstances changed. But as the other poster above also seems to say, this tends to be the exception.

Point being is that I donít think pilots pick FedEx over ups, or vice versa, because of the stock price, profitability, or size of the pilot group, or change in the size of the pilot group. They pick one or the other because they have a buddy working there that explains to them what itís really like (with all the great benefits of flying for one of them) as opposed to what the perception is from regional pilots in general about cargo flying. There are more buddies working at AAL, DAL, SWA, UAL (about 55K), than there are at FDX or UPS (8K). And because of this perception, there will be a shortage at cargo before there will ever be one at passengers, especially when considering that that perception is perpetuated among regional airlines where the biggest pool of pilots exist.

Globemaster2827
11-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Thank you for being a shareholder. Alas, and as you know economic conditions affect FedEx vastly different than UAL or any Legacy. Those that want to be here shouldn't make that decision based on "short term fluctuations."

Yeah... FedEx is struggling for one of the same reasons Atlas is... Trade. Personally I think the Trade War ends after the election regardless of who wins.

opt0712
11-09-2019, 09:38 AM
Yes, this was more the norm. Major cargo carriers tended to be less known compared to the major pax carriers. Also, there was the perceptual differences many regional pilots had about the passenger airline lifestyle versus the cargo airline lifestyle, in that one was viewed way more ďglamorousĒ than the other. I donít know, maybe itís a generational thing?

This, to me, was definitely the exception. Just as I ended up here instead of any passenger airline. My first choice was FedEx. But over the years, that changed for personal reasons. Then I came back around when circumstances changed. But as the other poster above also seems to say, this tends to be the exception.

Point being is that I donít think pilots pick FedEx over ups, or vice versa, because of the stock price, profitability, or size of the pilot group, or change in the size of the pilot group. They pick one or the other because they have a buddy working there that explains to them what itís really like (with all the great benefits of flying for one of them) as opposed to what the perception is from regional pilots in general about cargo flying. There are more buddies working at AAL, DAL, SWA, UAL (about 55K), than there are at FDX or UPS (8K). And because of this perception, there will be a shortage at cargo before there will ever be one at passengers, especially when considering that that perception is perpetuated among regional airlines where the biggest pool of pilots exist.

I'm with you given that more regional guys are putting FedEx in their top two due to being fed up with pax, terminals, flight attendants, gate agents, etc. All those stressors added up over a career can be exhausting.

FXLAX
11-09-2019, 01:36 PM
I'm with you given that more regional guys are putting FedEx in their top two due to being fed up with pax, terminals, flight attendants, gate agents, etc. All those stressors added up over a career can be exhausting.

Regional pilots donít know what they donít know. Unless they have buddies that work at major cargo who have a frame of reference, prior passenger airline employment, and that can explain what they donít know when it comes to differences, they donít always put cargo at the top of their list.

DC021
11-10-2019, 10:24 AM
Regional pilots donít know what they donít know. Unless they have buddies that work at major cargo who have a frame of reference, prior passenger airline employment, and that can explain what they donít know when it comes to differences, they donít always put cargo at the top of their list.

Absolutely, most regional folks simply arenít exposed to the operation. Heck, when I was flying out of MSP, DAL was all I knew and UAL/AA wasnít even considered by most members of that domicile. Iím guessing most crews based in ORD will have UAL as their top pick, and so forth for the crews working within the AA system.

FX wasnít even on my radar until I jump seated with us a year ago.

JulesWinfield
11-17-2019, 03:57 AM

All the more reason for them to develop single pilot cockpits, followed by full automation.

BoilerUP
11-17-2019, 04:11 AM
The "big six" of FDX, UPS, SWA, DAL, UAL and AAL will be the very last to feel any pinch in pilot supply, well after you begin seeing it in on-demand cargo carriers, DHL/Amazon contract carriers, ACMI airlines, regional airlines, and ULCCs.

Why? Because these six airlines provide the best compensation, benefits and career progression and will draw from every source of qualified pilots available.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the "pilot shortage" to factor at FDX anymore than I would for single pilot Part 25 operations to provide relief from such "shortage".

CFIGUY22
11-17-2019, 11:01 PM
You know, to this day I still cannot understand why most "regional" guys write off cargo airlines (FedEx, UPS) off, like its not even on the radar. While I understand the intrigue of the legacy carriers, it's not like the two are making chump change. I dunno call me crazy maybe there is a reason why there's such a high concentration of the most impressive and decorated aviators working at these places?

Jma313
11-18-2019, 05:53 AM
You know, to this day I still cannot understand why most "regional" guys write off cargo airlines (FedEx, UPS) off, like its not even on the radar. While I understand the intrigue of the legacy carriers, it's not like the two are making chump change. I dunno call me crazy maybe there is a reason why there's such a high concentration of the most impressive and decorated aviators working at these places?

I think itís due to the fact that the cargo carriers are ďout of sight, out of mindĒ for the most part.

DirtyPurple
11-18-2019, 07:06 AM
The disgust toward cargo ops is frankly hilarious to me.

The 777 RFO job is the most rockstar job on the planet.

Let the regional people flock to the Big 3 while dodging the horrors of cargo life. Better them than me.

aviatorpr
11-18-2019, 07:08 AM
Back on thread topic, Iíve heard the pool is 200 deep. Any word on how quickly they will drain it? With DAL and UAL wanting to hire 1000+ next year, will those in the pool wait around or try for a major that can get them on property and in class sooner than later?

Fdxlag2
11-18-2019, 07:28 AM
Back on thread topic, Iíve heard the pool is 200 deep. Any word on how quickly they will drain it? With DAL and UAL wanting to hire 1000+ next year, will those in the pool wait around or try for a major that can get them on property and in class sooner than later?

No hiring until FDX New Year next summer.

Skytrucker01
11-18-2019, 07:34 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191118/a96c408b2d20ac315fe25b5d625072d5.jpg

Here is what was pushed out to the poolies.

wrxpilot
11-18-2019, 03:28 PM
The disgust toward cargo ops is frankly hilarious to me.

The 777 RFO job is the most rockstar job on the planet.

Let the regional people flock to the Big 3 while dodging the horrors of cargo life. Better them than me.

Iím still puzzled why there seems to be this misconception that regional folks donít want to come here. They do, and a lot already have been. Lots of people from SkyWest, Compass, and Republic in particular from that Iíve seen. There are certainly less, which makes sense because weíre a lot smaller than a legacy airline.

aviatorpr
11-18-2019, 07:00 PM
actual CJOs like those in Oct (the hiring Dept changed their methodology around them).

I have only heard of successful applicants receiving phone calls with the job offer, nothing official in writing until a class date is offered. Can you elaborate as to what the actual CJOs were for those in Aug and Oct.

Skytrucker01
11-18-2019, 07:09 PM
Prior to Sep, we basically got a call from hiring who said, congratulations on a successful day 2, weíll be in touch when we have a class for you. Starting sometime in Sep/Oct, people that had a successful day 2 got phone calls that involved one or more fleet capts and a senior pilot in the hiring dept (conference call style) actually saying the words ďjob offerĒ and even an estimate of a class date (which all went down the drain with the training freeze).

Yes, itís nuanced and, yes, this is second hand info because, as I said, I got my call in August. Friends of mine who successfully interviewed after I did passed along the above info when we were reveling in our good fortunes together.

Basically it was a change in notification format from what I gather. Nothing major, but a positive change...puts a little more personal touch to the process.

Hopefully that makes sense...not trying to stir the pot at all...just pass a long that the notification process had changed over the last few months.

aviatorpr
11-18-2019, 07:14 PM
Good info, thank you for expanding.

FXLAX
11-18-2019, 07:20 PM
The "big six" of FDX, UPS, SWA, DAL, UAL and AAL will be the very last to feel any pinch in pilot supply, well after you begin seeing it in on-demand cargo carriers, DHL/Amazon contract carriers, ACMI airlines, regional airlines, and ULCCs.

Why? Because these six airlines provide the best compensation, benefits and career progression and will draw from every source of qualified pilots available.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the "pilot shortage" to factor at FDX anymore than I would for single pilot Part 25 operations to provide relief from such "shortage".

If there were to be a pilot shortage, FDX and UPS would feel it before AAL, DAL, SWA, UAL. And Iím not as optimistic as you are.

FXLAX
11-18-2019, 07:27 PM
Iím still puzzled why there seems to be this misconception that regional folks donít want to come here. They do, and a lot already have been. Lots of people from SkyWest, Compass, and Republic in particular from that Iíve seen. There are certainly less, which makes sense because weíre a lot smaller than a legacy airline.

My assertion is just anecdotal from taking to them for 12 years in the cockpit, crew room, layovers, etc. About 10% of them have cargo at their top destination. Thatís not to say that the other 90% donít go to cargo, especially if that the first or only job offer they have.

wrxpilot
11-18-2019, 08:15 PM
My assertion is just anecdotal from taking to them for 12 years in the cockpit, crew room, layovers, etc. About 10% of them have cargo at their top destination. Thatís not to say that the other 90% donít go to cargo, especially if that the first or only job offer they have.

Maybe thatís just how the pilot group was where you were at? I was at SkyWest, and many of the people I flew with had FedEx as a top choice. Flying UEX stuff has a tendency to make one hate everything about passenger carriers.

abides
11-18-2019, 09:32 PM
Great info for poolies here, guys.

The hiring has slowed, but with peak behind us and a new bid on the way out, the new year should reveal a more complete plan for hiring. Donít let it get you down.

I know many of you wanted the unfettered opinions of random ex-regional pilots on what proportion of individual demographics want a pilot job at FX. With those successfully aired, I think that horse is dead. Letís show it some mercy.

FXLAX
11-19-2019, 03:05 AM
Maybe thatís just how the pilot group was where you were at? I was at SkyWest, and many of the people I flew with had FedEx as a top choice. Flying UEX stuff has a tendency to make one hate everything about passenger carriers.

I spent many hours in skywest jumpseats. My experience with them was about the same but not quite as disproportionate, like you say.

As for where I was, XJT, at first many didnít ever want to work for CAL/UAL. But once we saw that it was the same everywhere else (DAL, AAL, Jetblue, frontier, midway), pilots just realized itís just the way it is. Each system has its issues but all entirely a different animal than cargo, perceptually in a not as good of a way.

DirtyPurple
11-19-2019, 03:15 AM
I know many of you wanted the unfettered opinions of random ex-regional pilots on what proportion of individual demographics want a pilot job at FX. With those successfully aired, I think that horse is dead. Letís show it some mercy.

Love your phrasing here. And Iím guilty of contributing to that derailment. My apologies.

I have a Sep interview/hire buddy in the pool. Although I have no direct line to decision makers in HR, after a few years of observing the system bid cycle, it doesnít seem realistic that hiring will begin anew until after our 2020 system bid closes. More than likely in the spring, of the last few cycles are any indicator.

We never know exactly when the company will offer a system bid. Itís certainly a negative QoL aspect of FDX life WRT life planning around when we will go to training/upgrade. BUT...itís also the reason why the company is able to hire into all potential seats.

I was hired directly into WB FO. So on one hand Iíd like some more company transparency WRT system bids / bidding for training, Iíd be complaining from the lofty WB FO perch. Doesnít make sense.

Skytrucker01
11-19-2019, 05:18 AM
As someone who would love to be in the lofty WB FO seat, when does the system bid close out? Or havenít they announced it yet?

Sluggo_63
11-19-2019, 05:21 AM
If there were to be a pilot shortage, FDX and UPS would feel it before AAL, DAL, SWA, UAL. And Iím not as optimistic as you are.
Youíre probably right, but management can change that dynamic by making FedEx more attractive to the pilot population. Sadly they still think this is 2008 and they donít have to compete for the top pilot prospects.

DirtyPurple
11-19-2019, 05:29 AM
As someone who would love to be in the lofty WB FO seat, when does the system bid close out? Or havenít they announced it yet?

Not announced yet for 2020 unfortunately. It'll be on the front of PFC, you'll get links/updates for the practice bids and then the final award.

OKLATEX
11-19-2019, 05:44 AM

There isnít a bid open at all.

At best, there wonít be a bid until late winter/early spring. That is when they have typically occurred over the past few years. I think there is an expectation that there will be a bid during that same time period next year.

That being said, I heard during the last Union Meeting in Ops that the next big might be as late as the Fall of 2020 with some clean up bids prior to that. Typically those smaller bids are used to keep training in a particular fleet and/or to staff Cologne or Hong Kong. They donít typically create a lot of movement.

I havenít looked at the training letters lately to see if there are many people yet to train. I know Captain Upgrades on the 76 have slowed dramatically.

The company, in my opinion (shared by many as well) has a strange view with bids. They rationalize the big bids as Ďbudgetedí for the fiscal year with the accounting people. Makes sense in a way; however, the company always then turns around and makes a statement that things have changed and they are taking a new look at the staffing needs.

Seems logical then to run smaller/more frequent bids.

Iíve been at airlines that run bids quarterly and monthly. Would love to see a quarterly bid here personally. But, misery loves company. Iíve got a friend at Delta and they seem to run these massive bids as well.

CheewiesCopilot
11-28-2019, 09:45 PM
How long does it typically take to get a call back ?

Jma313
11-29-2019, 12:33 PM
How long does it typically take to get a call back ?

Are you talking about a callback for the interview or a callback for an interview decision?