Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Tell me about the training...

lauree
11-17-2019, 06:33 AM
I’ve heard that systems training is computer based and people have done it from home. I’ve also heard training can be done in 60 days & they’ll fly you home if you have any breaks.
Anyone who’s been through recently - please discuss.

rondonq1
11-17-2019, 06:39 AM
I would not consider coming to the envoy. The managment very bad and airline is same as mesa. Flow ia big lie.

Cyio
11-17-2019, 07:15 AM
I’ve heard that systems training is computer based and people have done it from home. I’ve also heard training can be done in 60 days & they’ll fly you home if you have any breaks.
Anyone who’s been through recently - please discuss.

The initial systems training is done from home on a computer, however you do cover systems in ground school as well. Usually you will have indoc for a week, go home for 7-10 days for systems, come back for ground school and school house sims, go home for anywhere between 1 day and several weeks, come back for sims, which I believe for a new hire is a two week course.

The numbers may be off a bit, but that is the general time frame. As always there are outliers that will either shorten or lengthen that timeline considerably.

Cyio
11-17-2019, 07:17 AM
I would not consider coming to the envoy. The managment very bad and airline is same as mesa. Flow ia big lie.

Envoy has made large improvements over the last year, not without pain, but improvements non the less.

You certainly wouldn't be doing your career any disservice by coming here.

ViperCrosswind
11-17-2019, 08:01 AM
To get clear data call recruitment.

The training process is 5 steps

1 - Without an ATP you need to attend a CTP course with sims. This is done before you're on pay-roll. You're not getting paid, but they are paying for the hotels and the $7k the course cost. Before this you should study for your ATP written exam. You cannot take it until the CTP course is complete, however. The course is 7 days.

2 - Indoc. A week-ish of academics. The company flies to and from your home, puts in you in a hotel, pays you and you get per diem. It's basically endless briefs of "how to Envoy". This is capped with some security stuff.

3 - Systems Training CBT's - 10ish days of CBTs. About 4 hours of work a day takes care of you. Give them due dilligence.

4 - IPTs and Systems - About 10 days split with half the day on a "desktop trainer" of your aircraft working on flows, mechanics, and basic operating modes of the aircraft. The other half of the day are presentation on systems. You've already been introduced to them in the CBTs, but it's important to know your jet! At the end of this you take your ATP oral and do a procedure validation on the more advanced desktop trainer.

5 - Sims. 8 sims, two test sims. 4 hour periods with some brief and debrief before and after. The company again flies to you and from.

Personal thoughts - training was fairly thorough, and mostly adequate. It will never equal what you do "on the line" but I felt like it built a good base.

lauree
11-17-2019, 08:22 AM
Very thorough. Thanks!!

1 - Without an ATP you need to attend a CTP course with sims. This is done before you're on pay-roll. You're not getting paid, but they are paying for the hotels and the $7k the course cost. Before this you should study for your ATP written exam. You cannot take it until the CTP course is complete, however. The course is 7 days.

2 - Indoc. A week-ish of academics. The company flies to and from your home, puts in you in a hotel, pays you and you get per diem. It's basically endless briefs of "how to Envoy". This is capped with some security stuff.

3 - Systems Training CBT's - 10ish days of CBTs. About 4 hours of work a day takes care of you. Give them due dilligence.

4 - IPTs and Systems - About 10 days split with half the day on a "desktop trainer" of your aircraft working on flows, mechanics, and basic operating modes of the aircraft. The other half of the day are presentation on systems. You've already been introduced to them in the CBTs, but it's important to know your jet! At the end of this you take your ATP oral and do a procedure validation on the more advanced desktop trainer.

5 - Sims. 8 sims, two test sims. 4 hour periods with some brief and debrief before and after. The company again flies to you and from.

Personal thoughts - training was fairly thorough, and mostly adequate. It will never equal what you do "on the line" but I felt like it built a good base.

lbell
11-17-2019, 08:26 AM

Although I am not the original poster, thanks for answering the question.

pitchattitude
11-17-2019, 08:29 AM

Very good overview. The other thing is the company WILL work with you if you have a positive attitude and put forth the effort. That being said, most of the initial training is done by instructors who have not flown the line for Envoy and probably not flown the plane they are teaching. Some ground instructors don’t even have a commercial license. The other thing is the company is trying to teach you to fly a specific plane the way Envoy flys it. They don’t have time for remedial flight training and neither do you. You need to be instrument proficient and know Jepp charts when you get to training.

UncreativeUser
11-17-2019, 01:01 PM

Get over yourself dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLE to IAH
11-17-2019, 04:24 PM

Very helpful. :rolleyes:

BIueSideUp
11-18-2019, 02:41 AM

I'd say this probably answers all your questions right here 😂. I too will begin referring to the company as "the envoy"

CaseTractor
11-18-2019, 07:19 AM
I'd say this probably answers all your questions right here 😂. I too will begin referring to the company as "the envoy"

Geez, that’s kinda funny😂

“The Envoy” giveth and the Envoy taketh away... May the gods smile upon you and not smite you.

flyer206
11-18-2019, 07:57 AM
This guy did a really good write up of our initial training:

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/8rsyp4/atpctp_airline_training_and_ioe/

UncreativeUser
11-18-2019, 09:02 AM
I'd say this probably answers all your questions right here [emoji23]. I too will begin referring to the company as "the envoy"

That’s hilarious, I will refer the company as the envoy as well [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninerdriver
11-18-2019, 11:02 AM

https://i.imgflip.com/3grf79.jpg

11-18-2019, 03:04 PM

Hulas, is that you?

Tyrion
11-21-2019, 12:52 PM
I will disagree that the training at the Envoy is thorough. The DECs who have seen training at other places, and the old guys generally agree that training is not thorough. The expectation seems to be that you will be self taught through CBTs and reading the manuals. Without context provided by an experienced instructor or classmate, it is easy to miss something important on page 264 of the FM-1, or slide 48 on the 5th CBT you are doing for the day.

The training is adequate if you are good at self study to get through the check ride. You might find things confusing or over complicated that experienced could make crystal clear in a couple minutes.

iceman21
11-22-2019, 05:37 AM
Gotta love the thought that self-taught CBTs equate to "thorough training". This is the reason senior captains have issues flying with us noobs. I guess "we don't know what we don't know." is a very valid statement.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HalyardJammer
11-22-2019, 08:01 AM
Gotta love the thought that self-taught CBTs equate to "thorough training". This is the reason senior captains have issues flying with us noobs. I guess "we don't know what we don't know." is a very valid statement.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I was told during training that the reason this job used to require a college degree was that we were expected to teach ourselves.