Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : 2020 System Bid Rumormill Churn

DirtyPurple
01-06-2020, 08:22 AM
Happy New Year,

Soliciting for the newest "from a credible source" details for our potential system bid this year. I'll go first.

- MD & Airbus will be on min BLG through potentially October. Bidpack city purity will continue to degrade, maybe intentionally as to turn up the heat for MD/Bus guys who will then want to leave those bidpacks.

- System bid at the earliest will be in June. MD/Bus guys will have been "properly motivated" to flee their bidpacks into the 777/767 fleets.

- These actions should/may prevent an excess bid.

What say you?

Bruno82
01-06-2020, 08:27 AM
What does BLG stand for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoHaz
01-06-2020, 08:30 AM
What does BLG stand for?

Big Lazy Giraffes......... Get outta here, foggita bout it

Nightflyer
01-06-2020, 09:51 AM
What does BLG stand for?

BLG stands for Bid Line Guarantee.

BlueMoon
01-06-2020, 09:55 AM
My guess is sooner than June. Not sure how many people there are left to train on the 767 and 777 from the last bid, but since we are taking deliveries of them still they will need staff them. Even if it is just moving MD and A300 guys to those seats.

Huck
01-06-2020, 09:59 AM
MD11's will be fully committed to the CRAF by June.

I think all of our fleet planning just got exploded in a car on the Baghdad airport.....

ClutchCargo
01-06-2020, 11:10 AM

I think all of our fleet planning just got exploded in a car on the Baghdad airport.....

Excellent Smithers!

155mm
01-06-2020, 12:43 PM

I don't think so, the A300 has been proven battle ready:
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/aviation-international-news/2007-02-01/dhl-crew-saves-a300b4-after-sam-hit-takeoff

abides
01-06-2020, 01:34 PM
Does this mean that new hires will be getting 757 again? The humanity.

2dogs
01-06-2020, 05:34 PM

Absolutely NOT going to happen. Trump will be removed from office and pelosi will appoint herself President and peace will be restored.

Gotta go it's Happy Hour!

gatorhater
01-06-2020, 06:41 PM
Absolutely NOT going to happen. Trump will be removed from office and pelosi will appoint herself President and peace will be restored.

Gotta go it's Happy Hour!

Sounds like youíve been pregaming before happy hour.

Freighthumper
01-07-2020, 10:42 AM
System bid in April to man new 76/77s and an FDA bid in March.

DirtyPurple
01-07-2020, 11:30 AM
System bid in April to man new 76/77s and an FDA bid in March.

Thatís a good one...and it lines up with the system bids from the last few years. I hope you are right.

Tuck
01-08-2020, 08:10 PM
Happy New Year,

Soliciting for the newest "from a credible source" details for our potential system bid this year. I'll go first.

- MD & Airbus will be on min BLG through potentially October. Bidpack city purity will continue to degrade, maybe intentionally as to turn up the heat for MD/Bus guys who will then want to leave those bidpacks.

- System bid at the earliest will be in June. MD/Bus guys will have been "properly motivated" to flee their bidpacks into the 777/767 fleets.

- These actions should/may prevent an excess bid.

What say you?
Not sure what you mean by prevent an excess bid? If we need to decrease seats and thus motivate MD pilots to flee their bidpacks, that will be excess bid or whatever the new term is in new 24.

1. small FDA bid in Feb or Mar
2. excess bid few months after - with 1-2 base closures

C2078
01-09-2020, 05:51 AM
Not sure what you mean by prevent an excess bid? If we need to decrease seats and thus motivate MD pilots to flee their bidpacks, that will be excess bid or whatever the new term is in new 24.

1. small FDA bid in Feb or Mar

2. excess bid few months after - with 1-2 base closures

When you say base closure, do you mean pilot domicile? Other than the FDAís, Fedex only has ANC and LAX (MEM of course). You suggesting both ANC and LAX will be on the chopping block?

pinseeker
01-09-2020, 06:36 AM
When you say base closure, do you mean pilot domicile? Other than the FDAís, Fedex only has ANC and LAX (MEM of course). You suggesting both ANC and LAX will be on the chopping block?

Are you sure about that? I seem to remember something about IND!

C2078
01-09-2020, 06:41 AM
Are you sure about that? I seem to remember something about IND!

Well that was stupid [emoji15]. Duh, of course. My bad!

WATRS
02-06-2020, 11:34 AM
Any new rumors?

Thrust Hold
02-06-2020, 03:08 PM
Any new rumors?

First Class in 4 months will be March 12th - 8 HKG based pilots.

HoursHore
02-06-2020, 03:11 PM

this aged well. 😜

C2078
02-06-2020, 03:37 PM
First Class in 4 months will be March 12th - 8 HKG based pilots.

Welcome to Corona [emoji16]

manolo1492
02-06-2020, 06:44 PM
Weíll be back on the standard protest chatter by the time those 8 make it out here.

Huck
02-06-2020, 07:11 PM
this aged well. 😜

It ain't over yet....Surely this ain't your first election year....

PurpleToolBox
02-21-2020, 04:59 AM
Rumors in the AOC last night, 50 displacements on the 757 MEM Captain.

CandlerKid
02-21-2020, 05:12 AM
They are still training new Captains on the 75, so not sure I believe that one yet. 4 training slots in April on the current ITU bid. Youíd think theyíd stop that before displacing but then again that would make too much sense!

Spicoli
02-21-2020, 07:00 AM

rumor from who/where?

0617Ld
02-21-2020, 09:07 AM

I also heard in the AOC last night they are finally changing the pizza vendor.

Thrust Hold
02-21-2020, 06:42 PM
I also heard in the AOC last night they are finally changing the pizza vendor.

Due to trying times weíll be switching to Little Caesarís. 😂

Daniel Larusso
02-22-2020, 03:50 PM
They are still training new Captains on the 75, so not sure I believe that one yet. 4 training slots in April on the current ITU bid. Youíd think theyíd stop that before displacing but then again that would make too much sense!

If you read Section 24 carefully, especially in the context of realigning folks out of planes like the MD or Bus, the whole thing would make sense(if true in the first place). We tend to look at the idea of shrinking a category especially given current BLGís, but the company doesnít really need a displacement to get folks out of the 757 on a bid-itís the most junior aircraft in the system. Think about it in terms of available options for folks realigned from other seats and itís clearer.

Redeyz
02-29-2020, 10:28 AM
Received de-identified email from mgt type this week. Reads...

The first bid would reduce the MD11 by about 30 - 40 crews and the MEM B757 by approximately 30 - 40 Captains. I doubt you would be able to bid out of XXX on this bid. The second bid would address any shortages that were left from the first bid.

Best regards,

The Walrus
02-29-2020, 10:59 AM
Is that Kxxx, Pxxx, Exxx or Vxxx?

PW305
02-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Whatís with all the vacation cancellations in April if business is so bad? Are we picking up all the extra belly freight that isnít going on the pax carriers?

Adlerdriver
02-29-2020, 02:07 PM
Whatís with all the vacation cancellations in April if business is so bad? Are we picking up all the extra belly freight that isnít going on the pax carriers?
Nah, couldnít be that. :rolleyes: It must be all the humanitarian flying the company is patting themselves on the back for in every other email or FCIF.

Theyíre putting MDs back into Asia on regular 767 routes. I doubt thatís to handle the 28,000 pounds (what? 4-6 pallets?) of humanitarian aid theyíre so proud of.

OKLATEX
03-01-2020, 05:08 AM
Nah, couldnít be that. :rolleyes: It must be all the humanitarian flying the company is patting themselves on the back for in every other email or FCIF.

Theyíre putting MDs back into Asia on regular 767 routes. I doubt thatís to handle the 28,000 pounds (what? 4-6 pallets?) of humanitarian aid theyíre so proud of.

I hadnít heard about the MDs showing up in Asia. I have noticed a fair amount of open time on the 777 and in HKG.

Are they adding MDs on the routes because of capacity issues with the loss of the PAX airlines capacity in Asia? Are we actually picking up business, or are they adding MDs because of the complexity of country restrictions on our Asia System?

WATRS
03-01-2020, 07:13 AM
Received de-identified email from mgt type this week. Reads...

The first bid would reduce the MD11 by about 30 - 40 crews and the MEM B757 by approximately 30 - 40 Captains. I doubt you would be able to bid out of XXX on this bid. The second bid would address any shortages that were left from the first bid.

Best regards,

Any indication on timeline for 1st and 2nd bid?

Nightflyer
03-01-2020, 07:24 AM
I don't understand why we would reduce the number of 757 Captains. Are we over manned in that airframe?

I can understand the MD, as we are parking some of those, but I have not heard we are parking any 75's.

hoya saxa
03-01-2020, 09:17 AM
There have been a boatload of Xtra pairings on the MD MEM since open time release. Most with at least one Intl deadhead and mostly to/from/around Asia. Also mostly trunk flights, not charter, so I assumed they were base/equipment changes to remedy staffing issues in ANC/HKG/LAX and MEM 77.

While these havenít gotten NEARLY the interest in terms of makeup requests they normally would theyíve all been gobbled up. No thank you - not scared of the virus, just the hassle factor and threat of being thrown into quarantine by some over-zealous functionary. Still, itís weird to see a 60 hour double deadhead international trip with 1-2 live legs sit in open time for two hours with only a couple of requests for it.

Adlerdriver
03-01-2020, 01:45 PM
Are they adding MDs on the routes because of capacity issues with the loss of the PAX airlines capacity in Asia? Are we actually picking up business, or are they adding MDs because of the complexity of country restrictions on our Asia System? I have no doubt the company is making a **** ton of money filling the belly freight vacuum.
Theyíre putting an MD on NRT-SIN. Japan has yet to make any significant restrictions regarding the coronavirus. SingaporeĎs have been the same since itís kicked off and we simply deal with that by going to the terminal hotel and not actually entering.
If the company was worried about actually being proactive and building a cogent plan to deal with the various restrictions, the first thing they wouldíve done is position crews at all the non-China outstations and have them fly turns in and out of CAN. That way no one would actually have the China stink on them. This would allow relatively normal operations in Vietnam and the Philippines which have been significantly affected by the fact that no crews can actually enter either country if theyíve been in China. Most importantly it would also keep crews safer and away from ground zero. The companyís plan up to now has been to just be completely reactionary, so I think itís a pretty safe assumption that the change to the MD is purely based on lift and a short term money grab.
Ether that or itís a big money route they donít want to risk since theyíre having a hard time filling normal HKG flying with HKG crews who are so fed up with the BS and are staying home and not excepting draft.

KYTBRD
03-03-2020, 06:14 AM
While itís possible there is some pickup due to belly freight due to the lack of passenger flying I think the answer is much simpler. As countries continue adding rules and requirement the 777 creforce is becoming more difficult to manage with who has been to China, who hasnít been to China, and when have people been to various other countries that now have restrictions. Opening it up to the MD makes a bigger pool of folks who will fly into and around these countries and prevent immigration issue being continually being an issue on a the 777 crews. I think this will is an effort to add to their ability to service all the various countries no matter how much cargo is on board.

Fdxlag2
03-03-2020, 06:52 AM
While itís possible there is some pickup due to belly freight due to the lack of passenger flying I think the answer is much simpler. As countries continue adding rules and requirement the 777 creforce is becoming more difficult to manage with who has been to China, who hasnít been to China, and when have people been to various other countries that now have restrictions. Opening it up to the MD makes a bigger pool of folks who will fly into and around these countries and prevent immigration issue being continually being an issue on a the 777 crews. I think this will is an effort to add to their ability to service all the various countries no matter how much cargo is on board.

Along with the realization that the pairings are going to have to change drastically with a lot more inefficiency.

Sunny1
03-04-2020, 09:42 AM
I don't understand why we would reduce the number of 757 Captains. Are we over manned in that airframe?

I can understand the MD, as we are parking some of those, but I have not heard we are parking any 75's.

Last week I took a 757 to Victorville. The FedEx rep I talked to on the ramp said it was one of two arriving that week for storage.

ClutchCargo
03-04-2020, 10:36 AM

It appears to me that the MD-11 is not picking up any additional flying to speak of. Iíve seen two or three pairings in the last week that flew to Asia. Last time I checked an hour or so ago there was zero trips in open time. Compare that with the 30+ trips in open time for the triple seven, most of which have over 70 hours of credit....

Checked open time for the Memphis MD-11 Captainís Seat There is one trip in open time that goes to CAN with a 72 hour layover there. That is the only trip in open time. It pays about 51 hours.

opt0712
03-04-2020, 11:00 AM
It appears to me that the MD-11 is not picking up any additional flying to speak of. Iíve seen two or three pairings in the last week that flew to Asia. Last time I checked an hour or so ago there was zero trips in open time. Compare that with the 30+ trips in open time for the triple seven, most of which have over 70 hours of credit....

Checked open time for the Memphis MD-11 Captainís Seat There is one trip in open time that goes to CAN with a 72 hour layover there. That is the only trip in open time. It pays about 51 hours.

On the MD FO side, there have been an Asia trip dropping every morning plus XTRA ANC and CDG, with at least 20 trips still in open time before assignments. It's definitely picked up.

Stan446
03-04-2020, 06:28 PM
In April, the Anc MD11 will be flying direct to Can 3-4 times a week. Right now, Mem crews are coming through Anc and going on to Can. I think the pairing then flies to Kix and DH back. Check out flt 197 in Mar on Tues and Thurs. Anc-Can in Apr is flt 159 usually Tues and Thurs but then becoming TWTF. Flight leaves Anc around 23:30 local.

Tuck
03-04-2020, 08:27 PM
On the MD FO side, there have been an Asia trip dropping every morning plus XTRA ANC and CDG, with at least 20 trips still in open time before assignments. It's definitely picked up.

Oh there have been plenty of XTRA pairings on the MD - of course they get picked up almost instantly - especially in Memphis. Going to be hard to negotiate a OIM 2.0 when all these guys fight over trips at straight time - think every China trip in Open Time last Thursday in MEM had 3-6 requests in within 30 seconds. Can't wait for 2021.....hope you all like 3% a year. Yeah Memphis!

Stan446
03-04-2020, 10:36 PM
Oh there have been plenty of XTRA pairings on the MD - of course they get picked up almost instantly - especially in Memphis. Going to be hard to negotiate a OIM 2.0 when all these guys fight over trips at straight time - think every China trip in Open Time last Thursday in MEM had 3-6 requests in within 30 seconds. Can't wait for 2021.....hope you all like 3% a year. Yeah Memphis!
If we have another shortfall, via virus in 2021, maybe we would have some leverage. I say hold short now. Don't fly China. Let FedEx start feeling the shortage.

flextodaline
03-05-2020, 01:49 AM
If we have another shortfall, via virus in 2021, maybe we would have some leverage. I say hold short now. Don't fly China. Let FedEx start feeling the shortage.

That's the funniest post I've read......"hold short"......sure......maybe when knowledge overpowers greed, then that'll happen.....until then remember the FDX battle cry, "It's all about me"!

Stan446
03-05-2020, 01:55 AM
That's the funniest post I've read......"hold short"......sure......maybe when knowledge overpowers greed, then that'll happen.....until then remember the FDX battle cry, "It's all about me"!
The cry is from the tv show, "'Windsors", "Its me then you, BUT ME FIRST!"

flextodaline
03-05-2020, 03:49 AM
The cry is from the tv show, "'Windsors", "Its me then you, BUT ME FIRST!"

I "stan" corrected......:)

Thrust Hold
03-05-2020, 04:15 AM
Last week I took a 757 to Victorville. The FedEx rep I talked to on the ramp said it was one of two arriving that week for storage.

VP Fleet Update:

ĒThe 757 fleet remains stable at 119 units. Eight of these aircraft operate in our ďIntra-CanadaĒ network, where FedEx does not have operating rights. These aircraft are owned by FedEx Canada and operated by Morningstar.

There are four 757s parked at this time, one on a short-term basis and three on a long-term basis. The short-term aircraft will return to service in mid FY21, and the other aircraft return-to-service dates are yet to be determined.Ē

kwri10s
03-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Just RTB from China and the plane was packed. Just under 200K in cargo. I hear we have a big backlog and with the supply chain tightening over the next few months, that means even more products will be needed ASAP. I'd say we will have all the flying we want over the next six months. This should balance out the previous over hire situation nicely. It might even allow us to finally bury the TNT integration debacle. I think a nice place to enter the stock. We've been pulled down with the passenger bubbas but I'm not sure where the cargo reduction threat will be.

I really don't know why we have not thought outside the civilian flying box and stood up two outside China cargo stages. That would seem like a simple solution. A north stage in KIX and a south stage in Clark. Have the 767 guys fly out and backs from the stage locations and augment them with US 767 guys on 150% three-week deployments. That way no one is stuck RON'ing in-country and the company could minimize the 777 and 11 crews having to crew rest in China. Rebuild 777 and 11 trips to turn KIX/CLK and build additional trips where needed you know a bunch of AVA/Draft trips will get filled. Rent a couple of floors of a hotel and now you have a stage headquarters to operate out of. Send a couple of duty officers to be "staff" and Tada! FDX deployments. Reduces the threat to the most pilots, which in turn diminishes the threat that someone in MEM tests positive. If that happens, what is the companies response to an infected AOC going to be? Way too much downside risk. Just simple risk analysis would seem to say keep as many of the crew dogs as possible out of China/Korea.

Stan446
03-05-2020, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=kwri10s;2990328]Just RTB from China and the plane was packed. Just under 200K in cargo. I hear we have a big backlog and with the supply chain tightening over the next few months, that means even more products will be needed ASAP. I'd say we will have all the flying we want over the next six months. This should balance out the previous over hire situation nicely. It might even allow us to finally bury the TNT integration debacle. I think a nice place to enter the stock. We've been pulled down with the passenger bubbas but I'm not sure where the cargo reduction threat will be.

I really don't know why we have not thought outside the civilian flying box and stood up two outside China cargo stages. That would seem like a simple solution. A north stage in KIX and a south stage in Clark. Have the 767 guys fly out and backs from the stage locations and augment them with US 767 guys on 150% three-week deployments. That way no one is stuck RON'ing in-country and the company could minimize the 777 and 11 crews having to crew rest in China. Rebuild 777 and 11 trips to turn

I nominate you for management. Don't you think the company has looked at this? Taipei always seemed like a better location than CAN. My guess is it has to do with getting inroads into china. We bought Airbus products to get our Paris hub. FedEx is pretty forward thinking on how to move in to new markets. We could fly Can-Tpe but China hates Taiwan. You realize that? We do Clark only to get around the China-Taiwan issue. We waste almost 4hrs of flying just to serve Taipei from Can.

kwri10s
03-05-2020, 09:44 PM
I nominate you for management. Don't you think the company has looked at this? Taipei always seemed like a better location than CAN. My guess is it has to do with getting inroads into china. We bought Airbus products to get our Paris hub. FedEx is pretty forward thinking on how to move in to new markets. We could fly Can-Tpe but China hates Taiwan. You realize that? We do Clark only to get around the China-Taiwan issue. We waste almost 4hrs of flying just to serve Taipei from Can.

What? Do you seriously think the company actually thinks about anything but right at this instant? How many ice storm events have we had to endure because we cannot be proactive? All we need to avoid those events is to watch the WX channel. They can't even make a tactical decision in advance for those. We tried to launch crews to Puerto Rico during the hurricane that trashed the island. All we see is this box has to move right there. Point A to point B. No strategic planning. Very little risk avoidance unless it is forced on us by an outside force. We had Airbusses long before we tried to open Paris, so that's a poor example. Of course, China doesn't want us in TPE. So we workaround. But again, forced by an outside agency.

The point is that the first FDX employee or family member of an employee that is diagnosed in MEM will be a mind-numbing disaster from both a PR and operational standpoint. Yet we are not trying to mitigate that at all; just hoping nothing happens. What could possibly be their solution if someone tests positive? Put returning crews in 14-day sleep room quarantine when they return from China? We would be our own Carnaval Cruise ship in AOC with cross-pollination running rampant if anyone becomes a carrier.

HoursHore
03-06-2020, 05:48 AM
Someone probably already has it. This thing can be so mild in people under 50 with no underlying conditions that it’s no worse than a mild cold if not completely asymptotic. That’s why it spreads so easily.

whataclub
03-06-2020, 06:12 AM
All of that logical thinking needs to stop immediately. These boards are for irrational thoughts and ideas only.

MEMA300
03-06-2020, 08:02 AM
Just RTB from China and the plane was packed. Just under 200K in cargo. I hear we have a big backlog and with the supply chain tightening over the next few months, that means even more products will be needed ASAP. I'd say we will have all the flying we want over the next six months. This should balance out the previous over hire situation nicely. It might even allow us to finally bury the TNT integration debacle. I think a nice place to enter the stock. We've been pulled down with the passenger bubbas but I'm not sure where the cargo reduction threat will be.

I really don't know why we have not thought outside the civilian flying box and stood up two outside China cargo stages. That would seem like a simple solution. A north stage in KIX and a south stage in Clark. Have the 767 guys fly out and backs from the stage locations and augment them with US 767 guys on 150% three-week deployments. That way no one is stuck RON'ing in-country and the company could minimize the 777 and 11 crews having to crew rest in China. Rebuild 777 and 11 trips to turn KIX/CLK and build additional trips where needed you know a bunch of AVA/Draft trips will get filled. Rent a couple of floors of a hotel and now you have a stage headquarters to operate out of. Send a couple of duty officers to be "staff" and Tada! FDX deployments. Reduces the threat to the most pilots, which in turn diminishes the threat that someone in MEM tests positive. If that happens, what is the companies response to an infected AOC going to be? Way too much downside risk. Just simple risk analysis would seem to say keep as many of the crew dogs as possible out of China/Korea.

you give these ppl too much credit. They react or put out fires based on our existing structure. Your plan would take years of number crunching and power points. This will all be done and over with by the time its over. Honestly thats how it should be set up regardless, especially given current and past events. Some retired AF guy i bet agrees with you.

brn2fly1
03-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Any word on the supposed system bid?

DirtyPurple
03-06-2020, 02:00 PM
I was wondering that myself amid the thread drift. Would the manufactured hysteria of Corona speed up any system bid, or push it out farther?

StarClipper
03-06-2020, 02:02 PM
I was wondering that myself amid the thread drift. Would the manufactured hysteria of Corona speed up any system bid, or push it out farther?

I would think push it further due to uncertainty

Noworkallplay
03-06-2020, 02:09 PM
I would think push it further due to uncertainty

I agree. The most recent FCIF stated we are well positioned to profit massively from this when manufacturing in Asia starts up again. It also stated we have a big backlog of freight currently. You now see the MD being expanded into Asia for additional lift. The MD guys who had a dry last few months are jumping on charters faster than they can be built. If you watch OT in HKG it goes fast also as well as 777. People are starting to realize that the virus is out and cant be contained to any certain region like I have been saying for weeks now. I hope people aren't putting safety ahead of extra money but I'm not optimistic about that. The company cant afford to do a big shuffle of the deck when they don't know what the next 6 months holds for demand on each aircraft and base. Stock price was under 130$/share today so good opportunity to buy.

NoHaz
03-09-2020, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE Stock price was under 130$/share today so good opportunity to buy.[/QUOTE] Or you could wait a day and get a 10% + discount...Mayhem

golfandfly
03-09-2020, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE Stock price was under 130$/share today so good opportunity to buy. Or you could wait a day and get a 10% + discount...Mayhem[/QUOTE]

Mayhem indeed... Iím not discounting the impact of the corona virus, but it seems as if people think itís the apocalypse. Crazy times...

PurpleToolBox
03-22-2020, 08:44 PM
Or you could wait a day and get a 10% + discount...Mayhem

Mayhem indeed... Iím not discounting the impact of the corona virus, but it seems as if people think itís the apocalypse. Crazy times...[/QUOTE]

Any more rumors on a System Bid? I wonder what impact the Coronavirus has had in the long term planning? There seems to be a lot of MDs out in the Asian system right now.

Stan446
03-23-2020, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE Stock price was under 130$/share today so good opportunity to buy. Or you could wait a day and get a 10% + discount...Mayhem[/QUOTE]
I've been at FedEx for 24yrs. Stock was $35 went to $50 when I sold 2 yrs later when I got hired in 1996. I think it hit $250? last year and now is $90. And that was before the virus. FedEx stock sucks.

Buy UAL and Dal stock in Aug. Those two airlines are coming back.

Huck
03-23-2020, 04:50 AM
And that was before the virus.

No, it wasn't.

Moosefire
03-23-2020, 07:07 AM
But seriously, whenís the Bid coming?

Thrust Hold
03-23-2020, 07:35 AM
But seriously, whenís the Bid coming?

My guess was originally in April, but with recent events they'll delay it as long as possible to get a better idea of what the future holds.

The number of Eligible bidders for June ITU vs available training slots tends to indicate that they can drag out the training for Vacancy 19-01 for many more months. Potentially into the fall. Just a WAG based upon the available information.

Stan446
03-23-2020, 08:26 AM
No, it wasn't.
Yes it was.

hoya saxa
03-23-2020, 08:46 AM
Yes it was.

No, it wasnít. Heís right. It was in the 150-165 range before the virus became big news here. Started down late Feb/early Mar. Didnít go below 100 and hit 90 until about a week ago. Back up 105-115 range lately.

HvyJet
03-23-2020, 08:47 AM
Robert "Bob" Crandall

"I've never invested in any airline. I'm an airline manager. I don't invest in airlines. And I always said to the employees of American, 'This is not an appropriate investment. It's a great place to work and it's a great company that does important work. But airlines are not an investment.'"

tnkrdrvr
03-23-2020, 12:47 PM
Robert "Bob" Crandall

"I've never invested in any airline. I'm an airline manager. I don't invest in airlines. And I always said to the employees of American, 'This is not an appropriate investment. It's a great place to work and it's a great company that does important work. But airlines are not an investment.'"

Considering that as a pilot you are already investing your career and pension in your company, it is wise to diversify away from that part of the economy

BluePAX
03-26-2020, 07:38 PM
So summer or later for a bid. An interesting questionis how much will folks want to stay international vs domestic now.

Magenta Line
03-27-2020, 08:43 PM
Probably summer would be my guess. Here’s my 2 cents...

1. Retirements - I can only speak for the triple but we have 40-some retirements who have given their one year bonus notice. Most of those retirements are late in the year, Oct-Dec.

2. Acft deliveries - We are still slated to get 2 more triples this year sometime during the summer months.

40 retirements, 2 additional jets, my guess is 50-60 777 MEM Capts in primary, who knows about secondaries.

Right now, the only really “open” training letters are the triple & the 76. They will probably be exhausted by the end of the summer so taking all of this together in aggregate makes me think a summer bid with training in Sept.

There are people scattered about on all of the training letters but there are lots of FDA returnees and LCA/Flex types and not that many who had 19-01 bid awards remaining.

kronan
03-28-2020, 04:39 AM
There are a lot of unknowns right now.

A bunch of next month's flying went into SUB as FedEx consolidates some of the shipping between markets by adding legs onto bigger\smaller airplanes to better suit the predicted loads.

And, trucks more freight because of the uncertainty regarding our delivery guarantee,

I'm thinking a decent percentage of would be retirees will rescind their notification, barring a big snap back in the stock market.

Some will no doubt stay the course, but others will look at their investment balance along with the typical recovery time frames (2-3 years) and say, you know what, another year wouldn't be that bad. Especially if I can drop 30% of it and give this retirement income level a shot.

Overnitefr8
03-28-2020, 07:45 AM
From SVP Don Dillman todayRealignment bid

We are actively analyzing scenarios that range from realignment bids to hiring additional First Officers. The current volatility in our business prevents us from putting together a firm staffing plan. We are reevaluating every month and will let you know ASAP.

PurpleToolBox
03-28-2020, 02:36 PM
From SVP Don Dillman todayRealignment bid

We are actively analyzing scenarios that range from realignment bids to hiring additional First Officers. The current volatility in our business prevents us from putting together a firm staffing plan. We are reevaluating every month and will let you know ASAP.

The reason why they can't put together a plan is because they way they do bids turns into an 18 month long fiasco. If they did bids month to month, they would always know what they need.

BluePAX
03-28-2020, 10:47 PM
The reason why they can't put together a plan is because they way they do bids turns into an 18 month long fiasco. If they did bids month to month, they would always know what they need.

Why don't they do this then? Is the reasoning from a business perspective and not an airline one?

OKLATEX
03-29-2020, 04:44 AM
Why don't they do this then? Is the reasoning from a business perspective and not an airline one?

Iíve heard it is the way the budget for training.

I would even settle for quarterly bids.

I do believe though with current events they really donít know what to do.

J586
03-29-2020, 08:07 PM
BLG stands for Bid Line Guarantee.

Thank you for being an adult and just answering the question without all the BS that could come from answering this question.

Asked and Answered

i love this.

Nightflyer
03-29-2020, 10:59 PM
Thank you for being an adult and just answering the question without all the BS that could come from answering this question.

Asked and Answered

i love this.

No "like" button here, but thank you.

Heavyflyer
04-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Heard rumors of 75's being parked. Any truth to that?

Thrust Hold
04-01-2020, 01:54 PM

Last VP of Flight Ops Update (March 4th):

Fleet Update:

ďThere are four 757s parked at this time, one on a short- term basis and three on a long-term basis. The short-term aircraft will return to service in mid FY21, and the other aircraft return-to-service dates are yet to be determined.Ē

Heavyflyer
04-01-2020, 02:06 PM
Last VP of Flight Ops Update (March 4th):

Fleet Update:

ďThere are four 757s parked at this time, one on a short- term basis and three on a long-term basis. The short-term aircraft will return to service in mid FY21, and the other aircraft return-to-service dates are yet to be determined.Ē

Thanks!

filler

J586
04-01-2020, 07:12 PM

Thank You!

OKLATEX
04-02-2020, 06:09 AM

I hear they do this to save cycles on the 757 fleet.

The system form has changed because of turbulence in the economy before all this, they were doing this then, Iím sure it is just continuing with current situation.

From my understanding at least.

BluePAX
04-14-2020, 04:14 PM
Anything new here? The boredom is strong while isolating...

Thrust Hold
04-15-2020, 06:25 AM
Anything new here? The boredom is strong while isolating...

ITU bid out tomorrow will likely give us an idea of the next New Hire class for June, but a system bid is probably on hold until the dust settles from the Coronavirus fallout.

Huck
04-15-2020, 06:33 AM
I saw one of the fleet captains last week and asked. He said maybe in May.

Rum Runner
04-15-2020, 08:31 AM
I saw one of the fleet captains last week and asked. He said maybe in May.

22 new hires in July according to the training letter.

10 MEM 767
12 MEM 757

Hedley Lamarr
04-15-2020, 12:22 PM
Anybody have a copy of the last System Bid?
Company removed it and was wondering the min/max positions they posted from that bid.

Seems like they would have to offer those openings to people on seniority list first, especially 67 FO.

OKLATEX
04-23-2020, 01:07 PM
For Memphis it was:

767 Min/Max--471
757 Min/Max--298

60 Short on the 767 and 13 Short on the 757, as of the last bid pack.

magic rat
04-23-2020, 02:31 PM
From MD folks today:
"The much-rumored System Bid, previously scheduled for early March, is now on indefinite hold"

Also said MD-10-30s going overseas possibly...WOW!!

whataclub
04-23-2020, 03:01 PM
Correct me if I am wrong (which I probably am), is the company allowed to hire into the 75/76 in Memphis without a new system bid? It was my impression that the 19-01 training bid had/has essentially run out. If they want to bring new hires on into a non-FDA position doesnít that mean they need to run a new system bid?

OKLATEX
04-23-2020, 04:07 PM
From what I see based on 19-01 Final Results and the Training Letter, for the 767 at least, they are allowed per 24.C.2.c.ii(b).

They show enough vacancies on the 767 in Memphis.

Looks like to me they donít need to run a bid for awhile. Several months ago, I thought the Union said they cold stretch it out through summer, and that was per Crew Planning.

Could be wrong on all the above as well.

Regardless, I still think the Company has no idea what to do given the economic fallout of COVID. Iím sure they would rather delay any bid.

Not sure how many 767s were supposed to take, but Boeing had the assembly lines shutdown. I think they recently reopened.

Thrust Hold
04-25-2020, 05:48 AM
Correct me if I am wrong (which I probably am), is the company allowed to hire into the 75/76 in Memphis without a new system bid? It was my impression that the 19-01 training bid had/has essentially run out. If they want to bring new hires on into a non-FDA position doesnít that mean they need to run a new system bid?

There were seats (vacancies) unfilled on 19-01. They can use those.

kronan
04-25-2020, 07:00 AM
They can always add people to the 75

WATRS
05-06-2020, 05:41 PM
Anybody know anything new about if/when one may come out this year?

Stan446
05-06-2020, 09:06 PM
Anybody know anything new about if/when one may come out this year?
Read PFC Business update.

BluePAX
05-07-2020, 10:06 AM
Read PFC Business update.
Its not very clear in the update. Only says that they were unable to post a realignment bid as planned and hiring 75/76 FO's. The subtle tone seems to indicate it won't happen until Fall or later, but that's a guess since it is such such a vague update.

OKLATEX
05-07-2020, 10:57 AM
Latest rumor I've heard is a displacement bid for the MD in October.

DirtyPurple
05-07-2020, 01:14 PM
Latest rumor I've heard is a displacement bid for the MD in October.

Ooh, thatís a good one. I hadnít heard that yet. Thanks.

Thrust Hold
05-07-2020, 01:45 PM
75/76 Fleet Update:

"I have received many questions regarding a System Bid. Due to the uncertainties surrounding our current operating environment, execution of a bid is on hold for the foreseeable future."

Magenta Line
05-08-2020, 08:36 PM
For the triple, the training letter will run out in late summer/early fall with roughly 20 Capt and 10 FO remaining at this post. Aug dates not filled yet. Then it varies from month to month with FDA returnees and the various FLX types but those are ones and twos.

Additionally, currently thereís a slowdown at the schoolhouse with device sanitization between sim periods so that slows down sim periods and training output.

We were supposed to get 2 more triples in Ď20 but I believe the triple production line is shut down or at least is suspended at Everett. The first one was a June delivery I think so IDK how far down the line it had progressed (if at all) before production was stopped. My guess (and thatís all it is) ... we get 1 triple this yr but will get 4 next year; 3 scheduled plus the other one that was programmed for a Ď20 delivery.

And finally, the number I have heard is 40ish on retirements on the triple by yrs end.

Thatís a lot of background just to say, that in the triple at least, I think a bid will be needed by yrs end with retirements and probably an additional jet joining the fleet.

HOWEVER... with the current liberal application of VLT, DFT, RAT, voluntary trip extensions, vacation buy-back, etc, the company has opened up the checkbook and trips are being flown. That could easily continue and mitigate a shortfall in crews until the summer when most vacations kick in across all fleets, then weíll see.... the old lady/old man is gonna want a vacation when this is all done.

And, sim periods in the triple can be off station and/or draconian hours of the night. Jets can be traded pre-certification during or before production.

Although I think weíll have a bid this yr itís really just my guess. There are some known variables and metrics with jets and retirements which, IMO, drive a bid by yrs end at the latest.

Thrust Hold
05-09-2020, 03:18 AM
Training will be ramping back up:

"Due to the increase in extra sections and charters, we were unable to post a realignment bid this spring as originally planned. However, we will begin hiring 757 First Officers right away to shore up staffing needs on the fleet. In addition, we will hire 767 First Officers to staff FY21 aircraft deliveries. The 767 fleet currently stands at 85 with 18 coming into the fleet in FY21. In addition, some of the schedule opportunities for the 767 are in crew-intensive international long-haul, which is also driving this hiring need.Training team expects to return to a normal schedule this summer. The FAA in March issued a 90-day training deviation to lessen the impact of COVID-19 on the aviation industry. In response, reduced simulator training in April to about 50% of normal monthly levels. That’s about 350 fewer crews.

This month, that number will rise to around 450 crews and increase monthly to between 500 – 550 crews through July, August and September as we catch up from the deviation period. One other change is that instructors and pilots are now required to wear provided masks while in the training center."

Stan446
05-09-2020, 09:12 AM

"Due to the increase in extra sections and charters, we were unable to post a realignment bid this spring as originally planned. However, we will begin hiring 757 First Officers right away to shore up staffing needs on the fleet. In addition, we will hire 767 First Officers to staff FY21 aircraft deliveries. The 767 fleet currently stands at 85 with 18 coming into the fleet in FY21. In addition, some of the schedule opportunities for the 767 are in crew-intensive international long-haul, which is also driving this hiring need.Training team expects to return to a normal schedule this summer. The FAA in March issued a 90-day training deviation to lessen the impact of COVID-19 on the aviation industry. In response, reduced simulator training in April to about 50% of normal monthly levels. Thatís about 350 fewer crews.

This month, that number will rise to around 450 crews and increase monthly to between 500 Ė 550 crews through July, August and September as we catch up from the deviation period. One other change is that instructors and pilots are now required to wear provided masks while in the training center."
Cut and paste?

Thrust Hold
05-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Cut and paste?

What gave it away? The quotes?

I prefer legit sources and references. As opposed to rumor and chatter.

Stan446
05-10-2020, 01:30 PM
You are in the wrong place then.

Globemaster2827
05-10-2020, 02:22 PM

"Due to the increase in extra sections and charters, we were unable to post a realignment bid this spring as originally planned. However, we will begin hiring 757 First Officers right away to shore up staffing needs on the fleet. In addition, we will hire 767 First Officers to staff FY21 aircraft deliveries. The 767 fleet currently stands at 85 with 18 coming into the fleet in FY21. In addition, some of the schedule opportunities for the 767 are in crew-intensive international long-haul, which is also driving this hiring need.Training team expects to return to a normal schedule this summer. The FAA in March issued a 90-day training deviation to lessen the impact of COVID-19 on the aviation industry. In response, reduced simulator training in April to about 50% of normal monthly levels. Thatís about 350 fewer crews.

This month, that number will rise to around 450 crews and increase monthly to between 500 Ė 550 crews through July, August and September as we catch up from the deviation period. One other change is that instructors and pilots are now required to wear provided masks while in the training center."
I know this much... We don't have enough 767 First Officers right now. We're slammed and there's all the Draft you can handle. They may be apprehensive about hiring a bunch of guys right now in the fear that this is just a Sugar High though...

901Dude
05-10-2020, 03:50 PM
I know this much... We don't have enough 767 First Officers right now. We're slammed and there's all the Draft you can handle. They may be apprehensive about hiring a bunch of guys right now in the fear that this is just a Sugar High though...

767 is slammed...but nothing compared to 777 dudes. Their flying is thru the roof...and so is their paychecks.

Noworkallplay
05-10-2020, 04:04 PM
767 is slammed...but nothing compared to 777 dudes. Their flying is thru the roof...and so is their paychecks.

All fleets have the candy if you want to be gone 25-28 days a month. Good thing is itís available if you want it.

Thrust Hold
05-10-2020, 06:58 PM
You are in the wrong place then.

Not when I deliver information that is fact based.

Moosefire
05-10-2020, 08:50 PM
All fleets have the candy if you want to be gone 25-28 days a month. Good thing is itís available if you want it.

itís true... and it tastes good. Letís hope it lasts!