Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

SonicFlyer
01-15-2020, 10:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWEwgsKb690

deltabound
01-15-2020, 12:26 PM
That was neat.

My god though, what happened to American?

After watching that breakdown of different markers, with AA in the lowest/most undesirable tier for so many metrics, I'm half tempted to look at Spirit before looking at American for those rare instances when $$$ must be spent on actual airfare.

Yikes. How, exactly, does DP stay in charge?

Big E 757
01-15-2020, 01:11 PM
That was neat.

After watching that breakdown of different markers, with AA in the lowest/most undesirable tier for so many metrics, I'm half tempted to look at Spirit before looking at American for those rare instances when $$$ must be spent on actual airfare.

Blames it on unions and weather and the Max grounding.

Jaww
01-15-2020, 01:13 PM
Blames it on unions and weather and the Max grounding.

Well we blame it on the weather too...the unprecedented summer weather, that is always precedented.

El Peso
01-15-2020, 02:26 PM
That was neat.

itís quite simple really. 2019ís terrible operating performance is a direct result of toxic relations with AA mechanics. So to fix the problem in 2020, Mr. Parker decided to add pilots and flight attendants to that list as well, bringing the total of AA employees currently in contract negotiations to over 85,000. Yup 2020 is going to be fun to watch. Congrats to Delta. They couldnít ask for a better competitor.

N6279P
01-15-2020, 04:55 PM
Better slap another self-congratulatory sticker next to the boarding door.

iaflyer
01-15-2020, 05:39 PM
That was neat.

After watching that breakdown of different markers, with AA in the lowest/most undesirable tier for so many metrics, I'm half tempted to look at Spirit before looking at American for those rare instances when $$$ must be spent on actual airfare.Well, here's one example:

http://3rjfy21znlo631twxe405qqvzc4-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/20171129_061922.jpg

American's business class seating on some A321s doesn't have any seatback video - you need to bring your own iPad or whatever, and put it in that empty space. I kid you not...

While not everyone watches the screen, if I was paying the $$$ for the seat, I'd really like to have the option - especially when many Delta planes have it in business class, and coach - in every seat.

sailingfun
01-15-2020, 06:25 PM
That was neat.

Have you ever actually ridden in coach on Spirit?

Der Meister
01-15-2020, 07:32 PM
Well we blame it on the weather too...the unprecedented summer weather, that is always precedented.

Rofl! I think we have some nasty gumm stuck to our shoes. That has exacerbated the already mounting staffing problems. One cound say the operation was gummed up. ;-D

Have you ever actually ridden in coach on Spirit?

The fact that you say spirit has a coach class says all I to know...considering they dont have a "coach" class as they are a single class configuration (high density is the technical term) airline... this comes from personal experience working for a ULCC. For the record I'd much rather fly on a ULCC because at least I get what I paid for unlike at AA...

Baradium
01-15-2020, 09:58 PM
Rofl! I think we have some nasty gumm stuck to our shoes. That has exacerbated the already mounting staffing problems. One cound say the operation was gummed up. ;-D

The fact that you say spirit has a coach class says all I to know...considering they dont have a "coach" class as they are a single class configuration (high density is the technical term) airline... this comes from personal experience working for a ULCC. For the record I'd much rather fly on a ULCC because at least I get what I paid for unlike at AA...

Doesn't spirit have a section of quasi first class seats just with no extra service? I know it's at least extra legroom.

Bert Sampson
01-16-2020, 04:07 AM
Doesn't spirit have a section of quasi first class seats just with no extra service? I know it's at least extra legroom.

Creatively named the Big Front Seats

UnusualAttitude
01-16-2020, 05:41 AM
Well, here's one example:

http://3rjfy21znlo631twxe405qqvzc4-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/20171129_061922.jpg

American's business class seating on some A321s doesn't have any seatback video - you need to bring your own iPad or whatever, and put it in that empty space. I kid you not...

While not everyone watches the screen, if I was paying the $$$ for the seat, I'd really like to have the option - especially when many Delta planes have it in business class, and coach - in every seat.

As someone who has spent a lot of time in those seats it doesnít really bother me. I have a feeling it wonít bother the business traveler too much either. Avgeeks who track all of the gee whiz stuff on all the airlines will balk at it. The ability to stream the on board collection on my iPad is fine with me. My iPad has a better screen and with my noise cancelling headphones itís a lot better than plugging in to the on board audio jack.

AA needs to be focused on on-time and baggage performance and somehow making some effort to improve the former US Air hubs. I will absolutely avoid CLT at all costs. The RJ operation there is garbage. I try to fly AA as often as possibly (keep my miles in one place) but if CLT is my only option I look to DL, UA, or SWA.

Funk
01-16-2020, 06:09 AM
As someone who has spent a lot of time in those seats it doesnít really bother me. I have a feeling it wonít bother the business traveler too much either. Avgeeks who track all of the gee whiz stuff on all the airlines will balk at it. The ability to stream the on board collection on my iPad is fine with me. My iPad has a better screen and with my noise cancelling headphones itís a lot better than plugging in to the on board audio jack.

AA needs to be focused on on-time and baggage performance and somehow making some effort to improve the former US Air hubs. I will absolutely avoid CLT at all costs. The RJ operation there is garbage. I try to fly AA as often as possibly (keep my miles in one place) but if CLT is my only option I look to DL, UA, or SWA.

Call the SkyMiles customer service number and ask if theyíll move your AA miles into a SkyMiles account. You might be surprised that you donít have to lose your miles to upgrade in service. (1-800-323-2323)

deltabound
01-16-2020, 07:16 AM
Spirit.

Iíve heard itís an acquired taste.

How bad can it be?

(Checks internet for how bad can it be)

Oh wait, never mind.

gloopy
01-16-2020, 07:28 AM

It won't be long before that's standard and for good reason. The amount of people who don't have vastly superior IFE in their pocket/carry on is fairly low and falling rapidly. Of those in that category, almost zero will pay for it in a baked in ticket price. Its a very poor allocation of resources for all involved, especially when the industry as a whole still lacks the real commodity people want (think they need LOL!) which is unlimited free wifi with adequate bandwidth for all to use.

I could (couldn't?) care less about some quirky IFE touch screen that's forcibly interrupted dozens to hundreds of times per flight, random screen freezes and outages etc, just to access average entertainment content. Give me fast wifi any and every day over the crapy proprietary touch screens and their content. If anyone disagrees, just carbon shame them with the added weight required for all that obslete equipment anyway.

Lemon Jello
01-16-2020, 07:42 AM
Spirit.

Iíve heard itís an acquired taste.

How bad can it be?

(Checks internet for how bad can it be)

Oh wait, never mind.
Spirit guy here. Congratulations on this prestigious recognition. Hopefully it will mitigate all of the bad PR you guys have been getting lately. Hate to see Delta become the industry laughingstock again like in the late 80ís and early 90ís.

interceptorpilo
01-16-2020, 07:52 AM
Spirit guy here. Congratulations on this prestigious recognition. Hopefully it will mitigate all of the bad PR you guys have been getting lately. Hate to see Delta become the industry laughingstock again like in the late 80ís and early 90ís.

jelly much?

Bert Sampson
01-16-2020, 08:00 AM
jelly much?

ďall the bad PRĒ lol

deltabound
01-16-2020, 09:31 AM

HAH! I richly deserved that! No hard feelings, please.

I think everyone sat up and took notice of Spiritís 100 plane Airbus order.

I find it highly amusing to do the news sweep every week of all US carriers for poorly behaved passengers. Delta, United, American, SWA, Spirit...welcome to the rotating news cycle of carriers who routinely have crazy stuff happen on a regular basis.

Denny Crane
01-16-2020, 12:47 PM
Dang! Where's UAL when you need them. They usually help out with the News cycle a few days later......:D

Denny

Hank Kingsley
01-16-2020, 01:04 PM
Me too. Spirit who? We're all in the same boat, labor. Don't kick us, we have a great group of employees rowing together

Big E 757
01-16-2020, 01:25 PM
Dang! Where's UAL when you need them. They usually help out with the News cycle a few days later......:D

Denny

Well, they tried, they had a compressor stall in EWR either last night or early this AM. I just saw a clip on the news but didn’t hear it. If they did dump fuel all over Northern New Jersey, no one would ever notice though, so they didn’t do enough to take the spotlight off of us...yet.

Broncos
01-16-2020, 04:10 PM
Well, they tried, they had a compressor stall in EWR either last night or early this AM. I just saw a clip on the news but didnít hear it. If they did dump fuel all over Northern New Jersey, no one would ever notice though, so they didnít do enough to take the spotlight off of us...yet.
It was in a 757. They couldn't dump fuel if they tried.

Big E 757
01-16-2020, 04:27 PM
It was in a 757. They couldn't dump fuel if they tried.

Thanks. It was a joke about them making the news to outdo our issue. Not the event itself.

aa73
01-17-2020, 04:22 AM
Seat back screens have zero to do with the ability to stay entertained in flight (thatís what high speed WiFi is for)...and everything to do with ďbrand perception.Ē

The point being, if you step on board an AA plane with no screens, it broadcasts ďcheap and bare bones.Ē The same aircraft on
Delta with seat back screens showing the Delta widget broadcasts ďclassy airline.Ē Regardless on whether they are used or not.

Delta is all about brand perception and theyíve gotten to a point where they are gaining revenue premium from that.
AA is all about cutting costs to the max, while still ensuring the passenger returns (albeit ticked off.) Case in point, our 45 or so
newest 737s came with seat back screens installed. Well, the first one just went in for its Oasis mod (reconfiguring from 160 to
172 seats)... and you guessed it, they ripped out the screens.

Its sad to watch how far weíve fallen. The only thing that will fix it will be a complete management revamp, from top to bottom,
with AIRLINE folks instead of bean counters.

Congrats Delta.

Al Czervik
01-17-2020, 04:50 AM

Denny

Looks like Delta again...

GhettoJet
01-17-2020, 05:12 AM
That was neat.

Unfortunately, JetBlue and Spirit both have better products than we do right now...and yes, I commute on Spirit all the time.

crewdawg
01-17-2020, 06:03 AM
Looks like Delta again...

How is this news worthy...I bet not one kid got a rash because of this! :D

Two Kings
01-17-2020, 07:15 AM
Unfortunately, JetBlue and Spirit both have better products than we do right now...and yes, I commute on Spirit all the time.

Iíll defend American a little bit. I commute Boston to JFK on AAs 321 frequently and the quality of the crews and aircraft are top notch. JetBlueís crews are great too but the 190s are showing their age badly now. AAs new 321s are very nice.