Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Updated reserve and schedule info

PossibleDeviation
02-01-2020, 03:49 PM
So I am < 6 months in as a Regional, MSP based FO; I am from the area and have little interest in moving or commuting in the future if I don't have to. Would I be crazy to leave and try to get on now that hiring mins have been lowered? Wondering if anyone can provide updated info regarding time on reserve, reserve schedules/lines, typical schedules/lines for FO years 2 and 3 and current upgrade time?

My thought process is that Sunny would be a better place to be while I wait for the call from Delta..... if it ever will come; and if it doesn't, then I'd have a few year jump-start on seniority had I not left. Any info or insight provided is much appreciated!

**My background is all part 61 training, CFI'd my way to 1,500, non-aviation bachelors, 30 years old, no failures or marks on my record.

maverickchill
02-02-2020, 01:24 AM
Anything is better than a regional... except Sun Country.
FOs are on reserve for about 12-14 months. Typically the top 30 FOs have bypassed leaving upgrade around 3 years. Upgrade has dropped recently because more are bypassing, top 50 or so.
Not sure how the additional cargo flying will effect these trends.

wannabee
02-02-2020, 11:06 AM
Itís not a bad gig if you live in MSP. I came from a regional and I like it here way better. Theyíre in the process of making reserve rules a little more palatable, mainly to attract and retain commuters. And for what itís worth, if the current hiring trend continues Iíll be off reserve ~5 months after OE. If youíre gonna come, nowís the time to do it.

PossibleDeviation
02-02-2020, 03:55 PM
Yep - I am local to MSP which is why I am debating at this point. Seems almost like it'd be silly not to unless I am missing something...

- Any idea what the flying looks like once off reserve?
- Any info on how the flying for Amazon will work?
- How long was training from start to LOE?
- Do they put you up if you're local?

3rdGen
02-02-2020, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=PossibleDeviation;2969858]Yep - I am local to MSP which is why I am debating at this point. Seems almost like it'd be silly not to unless I am missing something...

- Any idea what the flying looks like once off reserve?
a mixture of flying, (2-6 days trips, mixed with Redeye and turns)
- Any info on how the flying for Amazon will work?
no info on amazon, rumor to be focused out of ONT and TPA
- How long was training from start to LOE?
training runs about 3 months, from firs day to checkride (tends to be shorter)
- Do they put you up if you're local?
hotels for new hires if outside 50 miles, starting March all pilot get hotels if outside 50 miles for training events (initial, recurrent, upgrade)

nibake
02-03-2020, 11:17 AM
To be blunt - it's a no brainer for you. You're not leaving anything behind at your regional with so little time there, and SY QOL for locals is hard to beat. The biggest problems here are pay and work rules, especially for commuters. Since you won't be commuting, if you get the offer, take it. Don't think twice about it. Despite the pay relative to other places and some of the negativity, there are a lot of Minnesota guys who are living very well here. The flying is really cool and the pilot culture is excellent.

Redbeard
02-09-2020, 05:04 PM
Anything is better than a regional... except Sun Country.

All the regionals are hiring, I'm not sure why you'd stick around if its worse than a regional. :D

maverickchill
02-09-2020, 06:11 PM
When I was hired at sunny, regionals were not better. Now they have hiring bonuses, higher pay scales, and career path programs or flows to majors. Sunny needs to step it up to compete for new hires.