Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Profit Sharing

PilotWombat
02-13-2020, 08:56 AM
Can somebody help a FNG? I'm looking at my pay statement from the PS check, and it's not the same as the PS election tool and my own calculations say it should be. Somehow, the pre-tax pay is higher, but the take-home is lower. Is anyone else's different then they were expecting or is it just mine?

igotgummed
02-13-2020, 09:04 AM
There was a topic on fb recently about witholdings, and something being wrong with them. Many pilots noticed MUCH more being taken out in taxes than should be. May be worth a look.

tennisguru
02-13-2020, 09:14 AM
My take home was more than I was expecting...

TED74
02-13-2020, 09:19 AM
Looks to me like they withheld 33%. Remember, this has nothing to do with or affect your actual tax liability.

PilotWombat
02-13-2020, 09:29 AM
Looks to me like they withheld 33%. Remember, this has nothing to do with or affect your actual tax liability.

Yeah, I understand that. I guess my question isn't so much about the taxes/withholding, but rather, why is the pre-tax payment amount different than what the election tool said it would be?

Cldelta
02-13-2020, 09:37 AM
More than likely it is ALPA dues.

Myfingershurt
02-13-2020, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I understand that. I guess my question isn't so much about the taxes/withholding, but rather, why is the pre-tax payment amount different than what the election tool said it would be?

the actual percentage turned out to be 16.7% vs. what the profit sharing tool estimated to be 16.6%.

iaflyer
02-13-2020, 10:19 AM
They withhold 22% of the taxable amount of profit sharing, so it's being taxed as a bonus. Mine was right on. At the very bottom of your paycheck, there is a taxable amount. It shows how amount taxable and the amount taken out for taxes.

bohicagain
02-13-2020, 10:37 AM
After all calculations mine was $150 more than expected.
Gonna tell the wife we got a $150 bonus and that Dinner is on Delta this weekend.

popcopy
02-14-2020, 04:58 AM
Don’t for get to $ave some of dat money today!

my anthem for the day: https://youtu.be/yvHYWD29ZNY

hockeypilot44
02-14-2020, 06:22 AM
Make sure you read the history of profit sharing blast put out by the MEC if you are unfamiliar with it's history.

The Localizer
02-14-2020, 06:23 AM
The thank you 321 with all of our names on it is a really nice touch. It’s nice to see that as we go into contract war with them. At the end of the day I still love this job and company

DWC CAP10 USAF
02-14-2020, 06:37 AM
22% Federal
6.2% SS
1.45% Medicare
1.85% ALPA
0.4% DPMA (if applicable)

32.9% total

Then whatever your state witholds.

freezingflyboy
02-14-2020, 06:41 AM
My pre-tax amount was exactly as expected but my take home was less than expected, by approximately the amount of my ALPA dues. Ain't gonna make or break me. Happy Profit Sharing Day to all!

Texasbound
02-14-2020, 07:02 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/delta-ceo-says-the-carrier-will-go-carbon-neutral-next-month/ar-BBZZYZq?ocid=spartandhp

Looks like Ed found something to spend your profit on next year.

buckleyboy
02-14-2020, 07:13 AM
Make sure you read the history of profit sharing blast put out by the MEC if you are unfamiliar with it's history.
Hope none of us is so naïve to see truth in the press releases about profit sharing being a way to thank us.

BobZ
02-14-2020, 07:20 AM
See.....if we had just 'monetized' PS for a 3% pay raise we would all have a lot less to worry about today.

Know what i mean, Vern?

sailingfun
02-14-2020, 07:23 AM
They withhold 22% of the taxable amount of profit sharing, so it's being taxed as a bonus. Mine was right on. At the very bottom of your paycheck, there is a taxable amount. It shows how amount taxable and the amount taken out for taxes.

Its taxed as ordinary income. Don’t confuse the withholding as the tax.

Iceberg
02-14-2020, 09:05 AM

Semantics dude. We know you know oh so much. This gets covered 16 times per year. We got it.

iaflyer
02-14-2020, 09:06 AM
Its taxed as ordinary income. Don’t confuse the withholding as the tax.Huh? ....

Bert Sampson
02-14-2020, 09:19 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/delta-ceo-says-the-carrier-will-go-carbon-neutral-next-month/ar-BBZZYZq?ocid=spartandhp

Looks like Ed found something to spend your profit on next year.

Gotta get ahead of that “flight shaming” tidal wave.

m3113n1a1
02-14-2020, 09:43 AM
Semantics dude. We know you know oh so much. This gets covered 16 times per year. We got it.

Yet so many people still believe there's some sort of special "bonus" tax.

Weakwater
02-14-2020, 10:22 AM
Hope when you demand single engine taxi, limited APU usage, blast fences or any other cost cutting measures. That you know that the people at Endeavor do not get to share in your profits but have to work just as hard if not harder to prove that we are not part of the DL family.

MJP27
02-14-2020, 10:28 AM
Hope when you demand single engine taxi, limited APU usage, blast fences or any other cost cutting measures. That you know that the people at Endeavor do not get to share in your profits but have to work just as hard if not harder to prove that we are not part of the DL family.

ummmmm....ok. Thanks

fishforfun
02-14-2020, 10:35 AM

Thanks. Feel better?

PilotJ3
02-14-2020, 10:50 AM

Yeah...please contact your MEC and make sure you tell them how you feel.

fishforfun
02-14-2020, 10:54 AM

Can we in turn blame you for any economic downturns with delta? I mean if you want to take credit for our success you should also take blame for our failures.

CGfalconHerc
02-14-2020, 10:55 AM

The RJDC has your check.

3 green
02-14-2020, 10:56 AM
22% Federal
6.2% SS
1.45% Medicare
1.85% ALPA

32.9% total

That is not nearly enough..Bernie will correct that if he gets in office.

Iceberg
02-14-2020, 11:03 AM
Yet so many people still believe there's some sort of special "bonus" tax.

Yet nobody said that.

Bluto
02-14-2020, 12:13 PM
Thanks! Glad you got my single engine taxi demand. :rolleyes:

GogglesPisano
02-14-2020, 12:17 PM

We really appreciate it.

Chakerik
02-14-2020, 12:27 PM

So you think no one at delta flew for DCI carriers in the past?

Yeah the pilots make those demands. The pilots also decide who gets profit sharing. :rolleyes:

It's in our contract. Simple as that.

BobZ
02-14-2020, 12:37 PM
So you think no one at delta flew for DCI carriers in the past?

Yeah the pilots make those demands. The pilots also decide who gets profit sharing. :rolleyes:

It's in our contract. Simple as that.

It got in our pwa at great cost. And thia pilot groups sacrifices and investments in delta were essential in enabling the success of today.

That history has also created the future opportunities for those currently working their way toward joining delta and sharing in the success.

Chakerik
02-14-2020, 12:48 PM
It got in our pwa at great cost. And thia pilot groups sacrifices and investments in delta were essential in enabling the success of today.

That history has also created the future opportunities for those currently working their way toward joining delta and sharing in the success.

Well put Bobz. Good to see you're back on here:)

GucciBoy
02-14-2020, 01:23 PM
Yet nobody said that.

You calling iaflyer a nobody?

waldo135
02-14-2020, 01:51 PM

No it’s not. If it were, the withholding would be different for some people. ‘Bonus’ income is taxed right now at a flat 22% for EVERYONE. Here’s just one article that explains it.
https://www.thebalance.com/how-bonuses-are-taxed-4586785

Edit: Yes, when you pay your taxes it’s taxes as ‘income’, but the IRS withholds a flat 22% for everyone.

GucciBoy
02-14-2020, 02:08 PM

No it’s not. If it were, the withholding would be different for some people. ‘Bonus’ income is taxed right now at a flat 22% for EVERYONE. Here’s just one article that explains it.

https://www.thebalance.com/how-bonuses-are-taxed-4586785

Edit: Yes, when you pay your taxes it’s taxes as ‘income’, but the IRS withholds a flat 22% for everyone.

From the article you posted:

“Bonuses might be subject to their own withholding rules, but they’re treated just like your other ordinary income at tax time.”

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but what sailing said is correct.

waldo135
02-14-2020, 02:11 PM
From the article you posted:

“Bonuses might be subject to their own withholding rules, but they’re treated just like your other ordinary income at tax time.”

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but what sailing said is correct.
I challenge you to find a single Delta employee that had something besides 22% withheld on the PS check, regardless of their tax bracket. When you file, yes it’s lumped in with all the rest.

Denny Crane
02-14-2020, 02:19 PM
I challenge you to find a single Delta employee that had something besides 22% withheld on the PS check, regardless of their tax bracket. When you file, yes it’s lumped in with all the rest.

FYI there is a difference between “withholding” and “taxed.” With that in mind go back and reread the posts. Sailingfun is correct.

Denny

Hank Kingsley
02-14-2020, 02:20 PM
More than likely it is ALPA dues.

Agreed, however, the delta pilots negotiated PROFIT SHARING! That's why all 90k of us received PS. Delta pilots negotiated this under bankruptcy.

GogglesPisano
02-14-2020, 02:43 PM
Hint: It all washes out on April 15.

GucciBoy
02-14-2020, 03:26 PM

So you agree then with sailing and Denny that it is withheld at 22% and taxed as ordinary income?

waldo135
02-14-2020, 04:03 PM
So you agree then with sailing and Denny that it is withheld at 22% and taxed as ordinary income?
Actually I am agreeing with iayer. He said it correctly first. Sailing ‘corrected’ him, even though the original comment was correct.

Gspeed
02-14-2020, 04:08 PM
Someone please educate me. When PS was very first bargained over, did the company simultaneously implement it for the rest of the non-pilot employees? I have a friend that says yes though the ALPA emails imply that ALPA negotiated it and then other employees began receiving it much later.

I just want to make sure I have a clear understanding over the history of events.

DALMD88FO
02-14-2020, 05:29 PM
Someone please educate me. When PS was very first bargained over, did the company simultaneously implement it for the rest of the non-pilot employees? I have a friend that says yes though the ALPA emails imply that ALPA negotiated it and then other employees began receiving it much later.

I just want to make sure I have a clear understanding over the history of events.
We negotiated it then before the ink was dry they implemented it for the rest of the work force. It didn't really matter as profit was not in our vocabulary at the time.

Gspeed
02-14-2020, 05:34 PM
We negotiated it then before the ink was dry they implemented it for the rest of the work force. It didn't really matter as profit was not in our vocabulary at the time.

Ok. I ask because his claim is that it was originally for everyone, not just the pilots. We just happened to be the only ones to get it written in a CBA. I’m trying to get an accurate fact check on that.

Big E 757
02-14-2020, 07:54 PM
Ok. I ask because his claim is that it was originally for everyone, not just the pilots. We just happened to be the only ones to get it written in a CBA. I’m trying to get an accurate fact check on that.

I seem to remember that at one point, all the noncontract people did have some kind of profit sharing a while ago.

Green Needles
02-15-2020, 04:50 AM
On behalf of all the regional employees and contractors that do NOT get profit sharing, yet help make your profits possible: YOU'RE WELCOME!

Jaww
02-15-2020, 04:56 AM
On behalf of all the regional employees and contractors that do NOT get profit sharing, yet help make your profits possible: YOU'RE WELCOME!

Are we really doing this again?

CBreezy
02-15-2020, 05:12 AM

You're more than welcome to negotiate with your company a profit sharing plan. And, other than Endeavor, anything you do to "save money" directly helps your company's bottom line, not mine.

Green Needles
02-15-2020, 05:34 AM
You're more than welcome to negotiate with your company a profit sharing plan. And, other than Endeavor, anything you do to "save money" directly helps your company's bottom line, not mine.

Being wholly owned, anything that my company does to cost or save money directly affects your company's bottom line.

CBreezy
02-15-2020, 05:37 AM
Being wholly owned, anything that my company does to cost or save money directly affects your company's bottom line.

That's why I said Endeavor. Learn to read. If you want profit sharing, negotiate it. It wasn't a gift for Delta pilots.

GogglesPisano
02-15-2020, 05:37 AM

We really appreciate.

Chakerik
02-15-2020, 05:43 AM
That's why I said Endeavor. Learn to read. If you want profit sharing, negotiate it. It wasn't a gift for Delta pilots.

This. Look up the orgin of profit sharing. Negotiate it. We dont have anything to do with your lack of profit sharing.

Bluto
02-15-2020, 06:14 AM
So apply to Delta. We're hiring. None of us owes you a thing.

sailingfun
02-15-2020, 06:18 AM

I would like to point out that the profit sharing was negotiated for massive life changing concessions provided to keep Delta in business. We are still not back to the pre concession contract overall. Our regional partners on the other hand our enjoying vastly better contracts than back prior to 911.

Cogf16
02-15-2020, 06:26 AM
22% Federal
6.2% SS
1.45% Medicare
1.85% ALPA

32.9% total

Deleted...

GogglesPisano
02-15-2020, 06:31 AM
I'm a tax dummy but do want to check the math. Do I subtract the 401K, DPMA and ALPA dues(the deductions) before I subtract 22, 6.2 and 1.45% AND my state withholding? Thanks

401k is pre-tax (depending on what you checked.)

Everything else is on that list after-tax.

Gspeed
02-15-2020, 08:26 AM
Yeah and lots of us here were regional pukes for 5, 10, or 15+ years. So take the pity party elsewhere. K thanks.

dbrownie
02-15-2020, 09:18 AM

Why would you come on a mainline thread and complain about what we have and what you don’t have?
Do you really feel we “owe” you something ?
I flew at the regionals (and got furloughed) no one gave me this.

Crown
02-15-2020, 09:21 AM

thanks man. Much appreciated. Keep up the good work

Big E 757
02-15-2020, 09:44 AM
Are we really doing this again?

Every year.

gloopy
02-15-2020, 09:51 AM

So we can all assume you've already thanked the ASA, Comair, ACA, Compass and other pilot groups who you largely replaced the flying they were doing for the opportunities, seniority numbers, captain positions and career advancement you currently enjoy? By your logic, DL also owes PS to SKYW, Republic and others. So why not all outstation fuelers? Gate Gourmet? Expedia? William Shatner? Georgia Power (except for that one time maybe)? Not to mention what you do to "cost or save" DL money effects who DL decides to award (or reassign) flying to in the future. Also not to mention that the current PS was negotiated specifically to one day counter deep concessions as part of the deal.

Its not that you're offending anyone at DL. I think pretty much everyone gets the scope of this argument (pun intended?) so all this line of logic will ever result in is to cast a shadow on your own pilot group. Fortunately I think most (if not all) DL pilots understand that and realize your position is not only incorrect but an outlier rooted in bitterness and entitlement.

The Localizer
02-15-2020, 10:08 AM

Myself and a ton of pilots spent countless working for regionals including the same company you do right now. We also didn’t get signing bonuses, guaranteed interviews college assistance which is what many Regionals are offering today. When we started many of us made 19/hr for the first year on probation. Many of us could not upgrade for 5-7 years and were making poverty level wages with families. On top of that there are a whole lot of delta pilots that came before us that had to endure mergers, bankruptcy contracts, and that whole 9/11 thing. There are plenty of opportunities for you to go to other carriers if you don’t want to wait for delta or if you didn’t get hired. Until then, maybe it’s best to keep those kind of comments to yourself

Mesabah
02-15-2020, 11:19 AM
I would like to point out that the profit sharing was negotiated for massive life changing concessions provided to keep Delta in business. We are still not back to the pre concession contract overall. Our regional partners on the other hand our enjoying vastly better contracts than back prior to 911.
GN has no idea about what is going on, I wish they would explain it to them here about what Delta profit sharing is. Furthermore, Endeavor has profit sharing, however we don't have any profits for obvious reasons.

badflaps
02-15-2020, 11:31 AM
GN has no idea about what is going on, I wish they would explain it to them here about what Delta profit sharing is. Furthermore, Endeavor has profit sharing, however we don't have any profits for obvious reasons.
They might try to fly their scheduled departures, that would be a start.

theUpsideDown
02-15-2020, 12:18 PM
Work hard, if you can take a paycut that would help, management will want record profits again next year.

In fact can we just split up your after tax paycheck among the 14,500 of us?

Iceberg
02-15-2020, 01:14 PM
You calling iaflyer a nobody?

Not a nobody, THE nobody. Much respect.

I just strongly dislike that every time a bonus is paid someone refers to the withholding as taxes and then some higher functioning human has to point out that it’s taxed just like normal income but withheld at a straight rate thus proving their higher functioning brain is much smarter than everyone else and also proving the view from their pedestal strongly resembles the inside of their own rear end.

Ok, I’m done now.

Mesabah
02-15-2020, 01:14 PM
They might try to fly their scheduled departures, that would be a start.
We need to attract more pilots, perhaps profit sharing?:D

overqualified52
02-16-2020, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=gloopy;2977553]So we can all assume you've already thanked the ASA, Comair, ACA, Compass and other pilot groups who you largely replaced the flying they were doing for the opportunities, seniority numbers, captain positions and career advancement you currently enjoy? By your logic, DL also owes PS to SKYW, Republic and others. So why not all outstation fuelers? Gate Gourmet? Expedia (http://i.viglink.com/?key=481c1e0bb7406ee862f1f8858ec6342e&insertId=9016ffc80a3d39ad&type=L&exp=-1%3Ana%3A0&libId=k6pcd2120100a0tt000MA8fjxv3e&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.airlinepilotforums.com%2Fnew reply.php%3Fdo%3Dnewreply%26p%3D2977553&v=1&iid=9016ffc80a3d39ad&opt=true&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.expedia.com&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.airlinepilotforums.com%2Fdel ta%2F127402-profit-sharing-7.html&title=Reply%20to%20Topic%20-%20Airline%20Pilot%20Central%20Forums&txt=%3Cspan%3EExpedia%3C%2Fspan%3E)? William Shatner? Georgia Power (except for that one time maybe)? Not to mention what you do to "cost or save" DL money effects who DL decides to award (or reassign) flying to in the future. Also not to mention that the current PS was negotiated specifically to one day counter deep concessions as part of the deal.

Its not that you're offending anyone at DL. I think pretty much everyone gets the scope of this argument (pun intended?) so all this line of logic will ever result in is to cast a shadow on your own pilot group. Fortunately I think most (if not all) DL pilots understand that and realize your position is not only incorrect but an outlier rooted in bitterness and entitlement.[/QUOTE. I don’t think it has anything to do with anyone “owing” Endeavor anything . I happen to be a 26 year captain there and for better or worse and a bit of bad luck in my career I happen to still be there . If you can wrap you’re mind around how much time and experience that is , LOL . The argument is , is that you can’t have it both ways . We are already a part of Delta . Forget “wholly Owned”. We are like Siamese Twins , joined at the hip . Delta owns every penny of Endeavor’s Existence . They pay us , own all the aircraft and without Delta there is no Endeavor . So if the profit sharing pot is 1.6 Billion , then Endeavor portion is around 2.5 percent to be split amongst endeavor folks who are Delta as Delta can be . All those other airlines you mentioned are separate companies and were separate companies with their own internal existence . Endeavor is Delta and Delta is Endeavor , regardless of your opinion. It’s not “Entitlement” . It’s already something that we are a part of and is our portion. As far as getting “hired” at mainline , it’s a luck of the draw and luck of answering silly questions the right way versus necessarily being a good pilot .

Gspeed
02-16-2020, 09:35 AM
I hope Endeavor successfully negotiates access to Delta profit sharing for their CBA. We’ll all be rooting for you. Until then though.....

iahflyr
02-16-2020, 10:10 AM
A word of caution from an UAL guy. We just got our profit sharing pay advice and lots of people are finding that their profit sharing checks are actually under withheld.

The federal government withholds 22% from a bonus check. I was in a 28% tax bracket during the Bush/Obama years, but now I got pushed to a 32% tax bracket under Trump’s tax bill for the same income. On top of that, the federal government used to withhold 25% from a bonus check, but now it only withholds 22% (a wonderful trick to make us feel like our taxes are lower than they actually are). These two things compounded caused me, and a lot of my fellow single pilots to be pushed into a spot of being under withheld for their profit sharing checks. Be sure to check this out so you don’t become surprised come tax time.

gloopy
02-16-2020, 11:18 AM
We are already a part of Delta . Forget “wholly Owned”. We are like Siamese Twins , joined at the hip . Delta owns every penny of Endeavor’s Existence . They pay us , own all the aircraft and without Delta there is no Endeavor . So if the profit sharing pot is 1.6 Billion , then Endeavor portion is around 2.5 percent to be split amongst endeavor folks who are Delta as Delta can be . All those other airlines you mentioned are separate companies and were separate companies with their own internal existence . Endeavor is Delta and Delta is Endeavor , regardless of your opinion. It’s not “Entitlement” . It’s already something that we are a part of and is our portion. As far as getting “hired” at mainline , it’s a luck of the draw and luck of answering silly questions the right way versus necessarily being a good pilot.

I believe you believe that. Really. But none of that means what you want it to mean. Comair and ASA were wholly owned just as Compass was. The first was completely liquidated as a wholly owned (years after both exit from bankruptcy and after the successful DL/NW merger) and the second two were sold to other airlines and their futures are now different from one another and arguably uncertain. There used to be a recruitment advertisement for a regional flight academy (owned by Comair at the time, which was owned by Delta at the time) that said "being owed by Delta means everything!" Not so much though.

You are not owed anything other than what your pilot group negotiates with your management. Also your management is just that, and is not Delta management. DL's profit sharing plan only exists because the DL pilot group, and the DL pilot group alone, negotiated it along with massive concessions at the time. Currently DL management choses to gift it to other employee groups, but they don't have to (not sure if the dispatchers have that codified in a CBA or not but I don't think so). They could choose to give it to EDV if they wanted to, but there is no entitlement whatsoever to it from your perspective. We all know what a wholly owned company is and that has nothing to do with what your opinion of it should be. There is no "Endeavor portion" invented out of thin air beyond what you negotiate with your management. Good luck trying to even get binding language to another company (and yes, DL is another company to the one your bargaining agent is dealing with). Who knows, maybe you'll be able to. But you're not owed it, and being a wholly owned simply doesn't mean what you seem to want it to mean.

Iceberg
02-16-2020, 12:14 PM
I’m still wrapping my mind how around how long and much experience 26 years is. I can’t get to the rest of it.

DWC CAP10 USAF
02-16-2020, 01:14 PM
A word of caution from an UAL guy. We just got our profit sharing pay advice and lots of people are finding that their profit sharing checks are actually under withheld.

The federal government withholds 22% from a bonus check. I was in a 28% tax bracket during the Bush/Obama years, but now I got pushed to a 32% tax bracket under Trump’s tax bill for the same income. On top of that, the federal government used to withhold 25% from a bonus check, but now it only withholds 22% (a wonderful trick to make us feel like our taxes are lower than they actually are). These two things compounded caused me, and a lot of my fellow single pilots to be pushed into a spot of being under withheld for their profit sharing checks. Be sure to check this out so you don’t become surprised come tax time.

Appreciate the words for us to double check withholdings...thank you!!!

On a related note about the jump up in tax bracket, I don’t think the jump up to 32% is causing you to be under withheld. Assuming income of $191,650 (top of the 2017 28% bracket) using the 10/15/25/28% brackets, compared to $191,650 using the 2018 10/12/22/24/32% brackets, your tax bill would actually be about $3,600 less in 2018.

Am I missing something?

dbrownie
02-16-2020, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=gloopy;2977553]. We are already a part of Delta . Forget “wholly Owned”. We are like Siamese Twins , joined at the hip . Delta owns every penny of Endeavor’s Existence . They pay us , own all the aircraft and without Delta there is no Endeavor . So if the profit sharing pot is 1.6 Billion , then Endeavor portion is around 2.5 percent to be split amongst endeavor folks who are Delta as Delta can be . All those other airlines you mentioned are separate companies and were separate companies with their own internal existence . Endeavor is Delta and Delta is Endeavor , regardless of your opinion. It’s not “Entitlement” . It’s already something that we are a part of and is our portion..

No disrespect intended but you are delusional if you think there is a “Endeavor portion” of profit sharing.

I worked for Allegheny Airlines wholly owned by USAIR never did I think I was a USAIR pilot, when furloughed I flew for WIGGINS AIRWAYS, Cessna caravans owned by FEDEX, never considered part of FEDEX and part of their compensation.

Endeavor is not Delta, Delta is not Endeavor. sorry that’s not reality.
Being NY based I fly with tons of new hires from Endeavor, great guys and gals, sharp pilots. So this isn’t a bash on regional folks.
Delta’s profit sharing is not available to you because you do not work for Delta.

NavyFlyer
02-16-2020, 08:08 PM
[/QUOTE. I don’t think it has anything to do with anyone “owing” Endeavor anything . I happen to be a 26 year captain there and for better or worse and a bit of bad luck in my career I happen to still be there . If you can wrap you’re mind around how much time and experience that is , LOL . The argument is , is that you can’t have it both ways . We are already a part of Delta . Forget “wholly Owned”. We are like Siamese Twins , joined at the hip . Delta owns every penny of Endeavor’s Existence . They pay us , own all the aircraft and without Delta there is no Endeavor . So if the profit sharing pot is 1.6 Billion , then Endeavor portion is around 2.5 percent to be split amongst endeavor folks who are Delta as Delta can be . All those other airlines you mentioned are separate companies and were separate companies with their own internal existence . Endeavor is Delta and Delta is Endeavor , regardless of your opinion. It’s not “Entitlement” . It’s already something that we are a part of and is our portion. As far as getting “hired” at mainline , it’s a luck of the draw and luck of answering silly questions the right way versus necessarily being a good pilot .[/QUOTE]

A 26 yo Captain!?! You should be hired immediately with that kind of experience!!!

Never mind the countless applicants with varied backgrounds, experience, more flight hours and better training paths. Disregard the command and combat leadership of some of the retired military aviators.

But you do have bad luck for sure bro. 26 and living a rough life as a Captain with a pretty awesome career ahead of you.

Entitled and whiney is what you are. Ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m3113n1a1
02-16-2020, 08:12 PM
A 26 yo Captain!?! You should be hired immediately with that kind of experience!!!

Never mind the countless applicants with varied backgrounds, experience, more flight hours and better training paths. Disregard the command and combat leadership of some of the retired military aviators.

But you do have bad luck for sure bro. 26 and living a rough life as a Captain with a pretty awesome career ahead of you.

I think he meant he's been at Endeavor for 26 years.

But also, combat experience doesn't really help you fly a bus from point A to point B :D

igotgummed
02-17-2020, 05:20 AM

But also, combat experience doesn't really help you fly a bus from point A to point B :D

Yeah, but it means you can introduce yourself by your callsign.

Gone Flying
02-17-2020, 05:56 AM
[/QUOTE.

If he has been at EDV for 26 years I'm gonna bet he has about 20,000 hours of airline time on top of whatever he had to get hired there. im going to say without knowing much else that that is more than qualified on the flight time. I really dont think its "entitled"for someone of those qualifications to think they are competitive for a legacy job (again knowing nothing else about the individual)

CGfalconHerc
02-17-2020, 07:48 AM
If he has been at EDV for 26 years I'm gonna bet he has about 20,000 hours of airline time on top of whatever he had to get hired there. im going to say without knowing much else that that is more than qualified on the flight time. I really dont think its "entitled"for someone of those qualifications to think they are competitive for a legacy job (again knowing nothing else about the individual)

Didnt all EDV Captains get the first shot at the SSP? Some moved on to Delta, others didnt and hopefully moved on to another airline. Bottom line, if you go into the interview with an "I hate Delta" or "Delta owes me" chip on your shoulder, its gonna show, and you wont get the CJO no matter how much flight time you have.

JMHO..CG

gloopy
02-17-2020, 07:51 AM
If he has been at EDV for 26 years I'm gonna bet he has about 20,000 hours of airline time on top of whatever he had to get hired there. im going to say without knowing much else that that is more than qualified on the flight time.

Obviously...on the question of flight time. But just as obviously is the fact that airlines have numerous requirements aside from flight time. Plus often times those most vocally entitled are those who either didn't apply or didn't update after they did (because they didn't get called right away and felt jilted) or those who didn't get or finish a degree despite knowing for decades it was a requirement like it or not. Some apply and update and meet the requirements but never get a call. But very, very few do that for all the legacies (pax and cargo) and never get a call.

I really dont think its "entitled"for someone of those qualifications to think they are competitive for a legacy job (again knowing nothing else about the individual)

Based on flight time alone, obviously the hours are competitive. There's a lot more to it than that however, and a sense of entitlement is usually extremely easy to spot during an interview and well before (incomplete apps, not updating, not getting a degree when one is required, etc).

Gone Flying
02-17-2020, 07:55 AM
Didnt all EDV Captains get the first shot at the SSP? Some moved on to Delta, others didnt and hopefully moved on to another airline. Bottom line, if you go into the interview with an "I hate Delta" or "Delta owes me" chip on your shoulder, its gonna show, and you wont get the CJO no matter how much flight time you have.

JMHO..CG

100% agree. I think the person I quoted thought he was 26 years old not 26 years at EDV. just pointing out that someone with 26 years of experience at a regional probably isnt underqualified for the job based on paper qualifications.

Mesabah
02-17-2020, 07:58 AM

JMHO..CG
Overqualified52 had a class date set at NWA that didn't happen because of the merger. But of course, that's luck in this industry.

Gone Flying
02-17-2020, 08:07 AM
Overqualified52 had a class date set at NWA that didn't happen because of the merger. But of course, that's luck in this industry.
ouch
filler

CGfalconHerc
02-17-2020, 08:15 AM

The good news is that this is the best hiring environment our industry has ever seen..maybe he should look away from Delta and move in another direction if hes not happy with his current situation.

Or, he can sit in the left seat and complain that hes overqualified and that's why hes not flying across the pond for a pint in LHR.

Again, jmho..

gloopy
02-17-2020, 08:19 AM

That sucks, no disagreement. But that sometimes happens in the industry. Does OQ52 have a degree? Did s/he apply, agressively update, go to job fares and do interview prep/pay for app reviews and leverage their network, including asking their previously junior FO's for a rec (something that not everyone has the ability to do)? Ditto for numerous other airlines? If not then its just sour grapes based on entitlement.

Klondike Bear
02-17-2020, 12:11 PM

it might have helped you fly into St Louis during the riots in Ferguson a few years back.