Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Quick question

Pilotguy21
02-14-2020, 08:46 AM
Should be a quick answer...

Does Fedex allow G550 flying on the side?

Sluggo_63
02-14-2020, 09:11 AM

No outside commercial flying.

I'm assuming you don't own it and are just taking it out for a $2,000 hamburger.

StarClipper
02-14-2020, 01:41 PM

The answer is no, and I still donít understand why. Up until a few years ago it wasnít an issue, then we go an email or FCIF saying we could no longer do it. The sad part is the union stayed silent, never even challenge the company on it.

Pilotguy21
02-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Copy, does anyone know of an airline that does?

Thrust Hold
02-14-2020, 03:41 PM
If you get a job here, you don't need to do any flying on the side.

pinseeker
02-14-2020, 03:53 PM
The answer is no, and I still donít understand why. Up until a few years ago it wasnít an issue, then we go an email or FCIF saying we could no longer do it. The sad part is the union stayed silent, never even challenge the company on it.

Maybe no one said anything because it is in the contract and has been from the beginning as far as I can remember. I don't have a copy of my 98 contract, but the 06 contract had it in there.

Pilotguy21
02-14-2020, 04:06 PM

ya I get that. Just curious more than anything if anyone allows it

max8222
02-14-2020, 06:22 PM
Not sure if this had any bearing on the change, but one of our crewmembers was flying a corporate twin on his days off and crashed just after takeoff. He lost his life, not sure how many were on the plane.

HIFLYR
02-14-2020, 06:35 PM
Maybe no one said anything because it is in the contract and has been from the beginning as far as I can remember. I don't have a copy of my 98 contract, but the 06 contract had it in there.

It was not in the first contract.

MEMFO4Ever
02-15-2020, 03:22 AM

As others have stated, we used to be able to do this. Why we can no longer is an interesting question. I had, and still have it somewhere, an Outside Flying Letter. Basically you had to agree to not exceed the FAR hour limits and you could not work for a company or entity that directly competed with Purple. Since the vast majority of us do not block anywhere near the FAR limits it was a pretty good gig. On first year pay it made a lot of sense to dump Purple trips since outside corporate flying paid so much more. When the word came out that it was no longer authorized I asked every person in my food chain at the time why. The answer; because we said so. I am certain there are those that still do this, just beware of the consequences if your part-time job involves compensated, non-military flying and gets discovered. Lying here remains a one-way street.

pinseeker
02-15-2020, 04:04 AM
It was not in the first contract.

Since you have a copy of that first contract, can you post the original 12.A.1?

HIFLYR
02-15-2020, 08:31 AM
Since you have a copy of that first contract, can you post the original 12.A.1?

Well I do not still have a copy of the first contact. I did however work under it and being a former corporate guy flew a few trips for former employers during that time. As a previous poster stated it started as a policy and was included in the contract after that. You can simply call the union if you actually want a copy.

02-15-2020, 08:47 AM

That's ridiculous.. You can make $2K a day for a few hours worth of work flying great equipment and keep your hotel points, get a rental car, meals, etc.. and yes, they claim it's strictly because of the FAR limits as there is no way to police that so to speak..

pinseeker
02-15-2020, 02:27 PM
Well I do not still have a copy of the first contact. I did however work under it and being a former corporate guy flew a few trips for former employers during that time. As a previous poster stated it started as a policy and was included in the contract after that. You can simply call the union if you actually want a copy.

Yeah, I worked under that contract as well. I still believe that the contract said the same thing as today, you have to get permission from the company to do so. The only difference I see is that since we went Flag/Domestic, the company doesn't approve it any more.

HIFLYR
02-15-2020, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I worked under that contract as well. I still believe that the contract said the same thing as today, you have to get permission from the company to do so. The only difference I see is that since we went Flag/Domestic, the company doesn't approve it any more.

Whatever you think, then

Huck
02-15-2020, 06:09 PM
I got a letter about 2003. Came from Jack Lewis, I think. I wanted to fly with my uncle before he retired from flying corporate.

It was revoked some years later.

I sure would like to donate my time to flying for a charity here in my state, but it can be considered commercial flying (by some people) and I can't take the risk.....

StarClipper
02-15-2020, 06:55 PM
IMO, if FedEX doesnít want me flying anywhere else for compensation, then they should pay me for the MAX Iím allowed to fly as regulated by the FAA. At least pay me for 100 hours every month and you can say you own my time.

abides
02-15-2020, 07:09 PM
IMO, if FedEX doesnít want me flying anywhere else for compensation, then they should pay me for the MAX Iím allowed to fly as regulated by the FAA. At least pay me for 100 hours every month and you can say you own my time.

Youíre delusional.

Fdxlag2
02-15-2020, 07:14 PM

Take a stand, fly all you want. That will show them.

StarClipper
02-15-2020, 07:35 PM
Take a stand, fly all you want. That will show them.

Didnít say that, but if theyíre going to restrict me to own my time, then they should pay me for it. If during my 3-4 weeks off I want to make a couple weekend trips on a GV or Global and take home and extra 10K that shouldnít be non of their business. As long as Iím legal to do there work thatís it.

Just like the FDAs, we should get the housing allowance whether or not we choose to get a place there. What if I just want to stay at hotels when Iím there? As long as I there on time every time to move their freight thatís all that matters.

Rajplt
02-15-2020, 07:59 PM
Copy, does anyone know of an airline that does?

I have a buddy at United that has approval. Flies 91 corporate on the side.

02-15-2020, 08:09 PM
I have a buddy at United that has approval. Flies 91 corporate on the side.

Only if he is not getting paid...

Rajplt
02-15-2020, 08:12 PM
You are wrong.

ARAMP1
02-15-2020, 11:10 PM
I sure would like to donate my time to flying for a charity here in my state, but it can be considered commercial flying (by some people) and I can't take the risk.....
Depending on what it is, you possibly could. I know pilots that volunteer with Civil Air Patrol.

Leroy Smith
02-16-2020, 06:18 AM

IIRC 117 only counts 121, 135 and 91k time towards the flight / duty totals.

No idea about UAL's policies, but the FAA no longer cares if he is flying Part91 on the side.

02-16-2020, 12:13 PM
IIRC 117 only counts 121, 135 and 91k time towards the flight / duty totals.

No idea about UAL's policies, but the FAA no longer cares if he is flying Part91 on the side.

All valid points, but if he is getting paid, as in for hire, it's considered a commercial operations and they (FDX) think it counts..

Precontact
02-16-2020, 02:26 PM
Why should FedEx endorse outside paid flying? What's in it for them?

n188r
02-16-2020, 06:40 PM
Why should FedEx endorse outside paid flying? What's in it for them?

They donít need to endorse it. That would be stupid. They just need to NOT prohibit it. Just like they donít prohibit me from rock climbing, racing motorcycles, shooting guns, etc. (not that I do any of that).

At my previous Corp gig, the legal eagles decided that it was a liability for us to fly for someone else on our days off. We eventually found a compromise and were allowed to fly as long as we took vacation. The lawyers felt that would remove them from liability.

901Dude
02-16-2020, 07:49 PM
They donít need to endorse it. That would be stupid. They just need to NOT prohibit it. Just like they donít prohibit me from rock climbing, racing motorcycles, shooting guns, etc. (not that I do any of that).

At my previous Corp gig, the legal eagles decided that it was a liability for us to fly for someone else on our days off. We eventually found a compromise and were allowed to fly as long as we took vacation. The lawyers felt that would remove them from liability.

Use vacation? No thank you.

n188r
02-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Use vacation? No thank you.

I agree. I never did. Wasnít worth it.