Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Missed call. Now what?

GunnerV
02-17-2020, 06:51 AM
Hello all,
I was fortunate enough to receive a call on Friday, but I was out and about and it went to voicemail. I called back a few hours later and left a message. Do I continue to attempt to contact the recruiter, or is it better to sit back, stare at the phone, and wait for a return call?
Thanks in advance.

captjns
02-17-2020, 07:02 AM
Hello all,
I was fortunate enough to receive a call on Friday, but I was out and about and it went to voicemail. I called back a few hours later and left a message. Do I continue to attempt to contact the recruiter, or is it better to sit back, stare at the phone, and wait for a return call?
Thanks in advance.

Try to return the call. Keep your mobile with you. Much better than staring at the phone, which is as much fun as watching the paint dry on the front door.

BoilerUP
02-17-2020, 07:02 AM
I’d try one more call today, then wait.

PotatoChip
02-17-2020, 07:10 AM
Don’t forget that today is a holiday. Maybe try tomorrow?

GunnerV
02-17-2020, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the advice. I just called the office number and got no answer. I'll try one more time tomorrow and then wait it out if I don't get through. I start a West coast-Hawaii line on Thursday, so I'd love to make contact prior to that. Thanks again for the advice.

Night_Hawk
02-17-2020, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the advice. I just called the office number and got no answer. I'll try one more time tomorrow and then wait it out if I don't get through. I start a West coast-Hawaii line on Thursday, so I'd love to make contact prior to that. Thanks again for the advice.

I would keep calling; I would not leave more than one message, but keep calling

C2078
02-17-2020, 09:34 AM
I would keep calling; I would not leave more than one message, but keep calling

This! Keep calling, multiple times a day, do not leave message.

Flier2019
02-17-2020, 11:37 AM
I'm in the same boat as you! Left two messages and now I'm just going to call at different times tomorrow and hope she picks up!

navigatro
02-17-2020, 01:39 PM
Leave 20+ messages. They like persistence.

brownie
02-17-2020, 02:56 PM
Just show up to the next class😝

AvgAv8r
02-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Hello all,
Thanks in advance.

First off...CONGRATS!

Same exact thing happened to me. I didn’t get the message for over 20 hours.

Don’t sweat it. Leave a message, but RELAX. They will call again. Just be ready to answer some basic questions and review your resume. Be yourself.

R E L A X

I stressed about missing the call as well. If I could go back and tell myself anything, it would be exactly that....relax. They WANT to talk to you. The people working there in HR are truly awesome folks.

They’ll call.

GunnerV
02-18-2020, 08:58 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I got the call back while I was in the car this morning. I pulled over and "got 'er done" right there on the side of the road. (I couldn't wait any longer, lol.) It was a brief review of my resume with a few questions, very low key and conversational.
Bottom line is the Hogan is on the way! He mentioned to take it while you are well rested, don't delay, try to take it on one sitting and not to prep, just answer honestly.
Now to take some of your advice and RELAX.

C2078
02-18-2020, 09:57 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I got the call back while I was in the car this morning. I pulled over and "got 'er done" right there on the side of the road. (I couldn't wait any longer, lol.) It was a brief review of my resume with a few questions, very low key and conversational.
Bottom line is the Hogan is on the way! He mentioned to take it while you are well rested, don't delay, try to take it on one sitting and not to prep, just answer honestly.
Now to take some of your advice and RELAX.

Good luck Gunner!!!

GunnerV
02-18-2020, 10:27 AM
Thanks all!
Hogan received and completed.
How do you know if you passed or failed? The screen after I finished said "Thank you for completing this assessment process and we look forward to speaking with you soon. Recruiters routinely review assessment results and you will be contacted directly. Thank You for your continued interest in UPS."
Is that the standard reply until the Hogan gets scored?

BlazingSaddles
02-18-2020, 10:40 AM
Couple years old but the advice I was given was before hitting submit get your phone out and record the screen as you hit submit. It’ll flash through to fast to see but there’s a screen that says something like “congratulations”. I can tell you from experience that if you failed it you get a screen that you can read at the end “thank you for applying but we have many qualified.......”

GunnerV
02-18-2020, 11:09 AM
Couple years old but the advice I was given was before hitting submit get your phone out and record the screen as you hit submit. It’ll flash through to fast to see but there’s a screen that says something like “congratulations”. I can tell you from experience that if you failed it you get a screen that you can read at the end “thank you for applying but we have many qualified.......”
Thanks for the response. I had my phone out but was expecting a little more time so I had it set on picture mode vs movie mode.
Oh well. I did not get the TBNT screen or e mail yet so I am hopefully optimistic!

BoilerUP
02-18-2020, 11:11 AM
Thanks all!
How do you know if you passed or failed? The screen after I finished said "Thank you for completing this assessment process and we look forward to speaking with you soon. Recruiters routinely review assessment results and you will be contacted directly. Thank You for your continued interest in UPS."

That’s a pass.

Westsideflyer
02-18-2020, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the response. I had my phone out but was expecting a little more time so I had it set on picture mode vs movie mode.
Oh well. I did not get the TBNT screen or e mail yet so I am hopefully optimistic!

Sounds like a pass congrats! If you click the original hogan link again the pass/fail screen will reappear in the top left corner. Another 502 call should be coming shortly!

DSflyer05
02-18-2020, 12:03 PM

You passed. It makes it very clear if you didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunnerV
02-18-2020, 12:33 PM
Sounds like a pass congrats! If you click the original hogan link again the pass/fail screen will reappear in the top left corner. Another 502 call should be coming shortly!

Thanks for this intel. I went back and clicked the link and was able to video it this time. As the others have mentioned, it's a PASS! I am truly grateful for all the responses. Thanks to everyone here who has helped me through the process so far.

AvgAv8r
02-18-2020, 01:39 PM
Thanks for this intel. I went back and clicked the link and was able to video it this time. As the others have mentioned, it's a PASS! I am truly grateful for all the responses. Thanks to everyone here who has helped me through the process so far.

congrats!!!

Grease
02-18-2020, 02:09 PM

Order your “Big Brown” book right away, if you haven’t already! It sounds like you’ll be needing it!

Westsideflyer
02-18-2020, 03:22 PM

Anytime! Big brown is a must good luck!

Gunnaro
02-19-2020, 04:52 AM
I missed the call too. Tried for a year straight calling and emailing. No response...finally had help from someone inside. Good luck.

AvgAv8r
02-19-2020, 06:46 AM
GunnerV

Dont be surprised if you get the call for the interview by the end of the week.

I always got the advice to take the first available. I wasn’t able to do that because of a work scheduled trip. They were completely and totally accommodating.

I think you’re going to find that they’re truly great people there at HR. I really enjoyed my time there during the interview.

Good luck!!!

C2078
02-19-2020, 07:40 AM
Except a few strays here and there, we are a very close nit group with a Union who only has to look out for us. For example, there seems to be a lot of discord and disagreement among the Fedex pilots. Mostly not here and mostly because we are united against an employer who is constantly trying to beat us down, TRYING bring the key word, that helps.

767pilot
02-19-2020, 08:31 AM
Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice. One of the reasons I have set my sights on UPS was the unity and camaraderie of the pilot group and I am already seeing signs of that here on this forum.

Obviously no one has shown him our on site board :)

Flier2019
02-19-2020, 08:51 AM
A year????

jetlaggy
02-19-2020, 09:02 AM

yeah..always a couple of bad apples

whalesurfer
02-26-2020, 06:46 AM
Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice. One of the reasons I have set my sights on UPS was the unity and camaraderie of the pilot group and I am already seeing signs of that here on this forum.

Are you saying our message board somehow proves otherwise?? How so?

When I log on I see people collecting thousands and thousands of dollars for our own brothers and sisters who’re fighting cancer and other serious illnesses, I see people collecting money for probationary crew members who are out on sick leave and who most of us had never even met, I see people searching and giving advice regarding specific layovers or moving to SDF or buying and selling cars, etc, etc.

I also see a few, VERY few political commentators who’re addicted to sharing their views on there. So what? There might be 25-35 guys/gals out of ~3,000 pilots in that category. ..and just like when I watch TV channels I’m perfectly capable of skipping those channels or threads in this case.

They’re a very tiny group and overall I’d say Bar & Grill DOES show the unity and camaraderie of our pilot group. Am I wrong?

UPSFO4LIFE
02-26-2020, 07:29 AM
Are you saying our message board somehow proves otherwise?? How so?

When I log on I see people collecting thousands and thousands of dollars for our own brothers and sisters who’re fighting cancer and other serious illnesses, I see people collecting money for probationary crew members who are out on sick leave and who most of us had never even met, I see people searching and giving advice regarding specific layovers or moving to SDF or buying and selling cars, etc, etc.

I also see a few, VERY few political commentators who’re addicted to sharing their views on there. So what? There might be 25-35 guys/gals out of ~3,000 pilots in that category. ..and just like when I watch TV channels I’m perfectly capable of skipping those channels or threads in this case.

They’re a very tiny group and overall I’d say Bar & Grill DOES show the unity and camaraderie of our pilot group. Am I wrong?
I agree to some extent, but the ones vocal on the B&G are a very small percentage of the whole group. My guess is that probably half the membership read it and about 100 post on it. Overall though, the IPA is as unified a group as I have ever been in. You will never get 100% agreement on anything.

767pilot
02-26-2020, 08:44 AM
Are you saying our message board somehow proves otherwise?? How so.. . Am I wrong?

Maybe you've missed the messages between bk and JB or bk and most anyone else. Obviously you missed the smile at the end of my post. Lighten up Frances.

AvgAv8r
02-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Thanks all!

Well? Did the call come for the interview/sim?

GunnerV
03-02-2020, 02:31 AM
Well? Did the call come for the interview/sim?

Yessir, I’ll be there April 3rd! :D

TigerDriver08
03-02-2020, 06:50 AM
Hello all,
Thanks in advance.

How long between your application becoming locked did you receive your first call? My application is now active/locked. I’m very excited after 3 years of applications.

navigatro
03-02-2020, 08:12 AM
How long between your application becoming locked did you receive your first call? My application is now active/locked. I’m very excited after 3 years of applications.

Hang in there and good luck.

GunnerV
03-02-2020, 11:51 AM

Very quickly. I updated in January, was locked and called within a month. Good Luck!

senecacaptain
03-02-2020, 07:10 PM

Congrats !

any job fairs ? any obvious "it locked because of ___________" ?

GunnerV
03-02-2020, 09:51 PM
I dont know, I'm flying a 767 now, so maybe the additional heavy international hours I flew between last year's app and this years update put me beyond some internal "gate"?

senecacaptain
03-03-2020, 10:54 AM
I dont know, I'm flying a 767 now, so maybe the additional heavy international hours I flew between last year's app and this years update put me beyond some internal "gate"?

awesome, congrats again

Whalehunter
03-03-2020, 12:28 PM
I got the call and missed it, let the phone tag begin.

Lykaskygod
03-03-2020, 01:23 PM
I got the call and missed it, let the phone tag begin.

What call are you waiting for?

Whalehunter
03-03-2020, 01:44 PM
What call are you waiting for?
Resume review.

Lykaskygod
03-03-2020, 01:50 PM
Resume review.
Good luck!
It’s a quick resume review and standard questions like DUI and investigations on your license.
Also, why UPS.

Whalehunter
03-03-2020, 02:18 PM
Good luck!
It’s a quick resume review and standard questions like DUI and investigations on your license.
Also, why UPS.
thank you, appreciate it.

senecacaptain
03-03-2020, 06:06 PM
Just to triple-check, the call comes AFTER your app goes locked, correct. To clarify, has anyone had an active, green thumbs up, app on file and a surprise pop up phone call from UPS comes ?

Thanks

Whalehunter
03-03-2020, 06:16 PM
Just to triple-check, the call comes AFTER your app goes locked, correct. To clarify, has anyone had an active, green thumbs up, app on file and a surprise pop up phone call from UPS comes ?

Thanks

Mine shows a green thumbs up. When I click on the app everything is locked except 2 items.

AvgAv8r
03-03-2020, 07:51 PM

Mine went from LOCKED to back to green at one point. So, take a deep breath. Several months later it went back to locked and I got the call right away.

Not saying this to steal your sunshine, but just saying it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

All that said....I hope you get the call ASAP!!!

LT Shiney Sides
03-05-2020, 02:26 PM
Noticed yesterday evening my app locked sometime during the day...well phone call came this morning while at an interview and couldn’t get to it. I’ll pay for whatever it takes to land this job, so please share some suggestions. Thanks guys!

Whalehunter
03-05-2020, 02:34 PM
Noticed yesterday evening my app locked sometime during the day...well phone call came this morning while at an interview and couldn’t get to it. I’ll pay for whatever it takes to land this job, so please share some suggestions. Thanks guys!

I got the call on Monday and missed it. Got the call today and waiting for the Hogan.

PotatoChip
03-05-2020, 02:37 PM

Wow, nice!!
My app has been locked for almost two months, so I’m also open to suggestions!
I had another internal rec sent in since as well...

LT Shiney Sides
03-05-2020, 02:41 PM
I had two internals submitted in Dec. They redid them in Jan, though over debate, there were several who said you didn't have to. Then I'm sure the kicker for me was hitting up the booth during NGPA last month! I read that that's the key (internals and job fair), well that's what I did, so...