Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Timing the latest time to enter

tsimmns927
03-04-2020, 11:25 AM
For the realist on here, whats your thoughts on when might be the latest someone could enter the regional airlines under this current crazy hiring cycle. Im a 37 year old man and considering making the switch within the next year. Putting myself at 38 With 2 years to acquire certs and build time before getting to a regional at 40. Honestly Id hope to land a job at Envoy since it would be in base for me. Since I know there is no safe thing is this industry, but is it safe to say that as long as I get in before 40 that Id be safe in this current hiring cycle before the hiring slows down in future years? While I might never make a legacy, I think Id be perfectly fine at a regional for life.

feltf4
03-04-2020, 11:29 AM
For the realist on here, whats your thoughts on when might be the latest someone could enter the regional airlines under this current crazy hiring cycle. Im a 37 year old man and considering making the switch within the next year. Putting myself at 38 With 2 years to acquire certs and build time before getting to a regional at 40. Honestly Id hope to land a job at Envoy since it would be in base for me. Since I know there is no safe thing is this industry, but is it safe to say that as long as I get in before 40 that Id be safe in this current hiring cycle before the hiring slows down in future years? While I might never make a legacy, I think Id be perfectly fine at a regional for life.

everyone is about to tell you youre going to get furloughed.

chrisreedrules
03-04-2020, 11:55 AM
If you want to fly, fly. This industry is cyclical.

galaxy flyer
03-04-2020, 01:00 PM

As was said, if you want to life, fly and dont worry about the career path. You might be at a regional, maybe a major, possibly a legacy. Or an ACMI or a corporate great gig. You might end up flying a clapped out Learjet. Its about flying, not career. Career will work itself out.