Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Safety Pilot/ Time building

cristian223
03-07-2020, 05:38 PM
Hey guys, I'm at 350 hrs single and multi-engine commercial with instrument, Is there anyone who owns an airplane around the Houston area that needs a safety pilot or is doing Time building and would like to split the cost PM
thanks

35Right
03-12-2020, 07:29 AM
I understand the safety piloting, but how do you share the cost of time building? If only one person can log the time, why would I pay for half of that flight?

Cidgrad130
03-12-2020, 10:16 AM
I understand the safety piloting, but how do you share the cost of time building? If only one person can log the time, why would I pay for half of that flight?

I don't think you "understand the safety piloting"
Pilot flying on a vision restriction device, Pilot Monitoring (safety pilot) is responsible for traffic clearing and obstacle and terrain clearance. Both log PIC time while in this configuration. There should be a small amount of time when the vision restriction device is not in use that only the sole manipulator of the controls can log PIC time (takeoff and landing).

cristian223
03-12-2020, 11:48 AM
Pilot flying on a vision restriction device, Pilot Monitoring (safety pilot) is responsible for traffic clearing and obstacle and terrain clearance. Both log PIC time while in this configuration. There should be a small amount of time when the vision restriction device is not in use that only the sole manipulator of the controls can log PIC time (takeoff and landing).
That's a really good explanation, thanks for clearing any doubts!

kettlechips
03-12-2020, 11:18 PM

Pilot flying on a vision restriction device, Pilot Monitoring (safety pilot) is responsible for traffic clearing and obstacle and terrain clearance. Both log PIC time while in this configuration. There should be a small amount of time when the vision restriction device is not in use that only the sole manipulator of the controls can log PIC time (takeoff and landing).Right but OP said "safety pilot or is doing time building" inferring there's another way to log PIC time other than acting as a safety pilot

BravoPapa
03-13-2020, 03:13 PM
Right but OP said "safety pilot or is doing time building" inferring there's another way to log PIC time other than acting as a safety pilot

It doesn't infer that at all. He's just saying if anybody is already doing time-building, would you like share instead of doing it by yourself. "...or is doing time building AND WOULD LIKE TO SPLIT THE COST."

35Right
03-14-2020, 09:37 AM
I fully understand how safety piloting works.

Right but OP said "safety pilot or is doing time building" inferring there's another way to log PIC time other than acting as a safety pilot

Exactly.

He's just saying if anybody is already doing time-building, would you like share instead of doing it by yourself. "...or is doing time building AND WOULD LIKE TO SPLIT THE COST."

Which goes back to my original question. Let's say Pilot A is time building (ie just flying to put time in the logbook)-- why would Pilot B split the cost if only Pilot A is able to log the time?

If I fly from A to B and Pilot #2 flies from B to C, why would I share the cost for the flight from B to C since I can't log that?

BravoPapa
03-14-2020, 08:24 PM
If I fly from A to B and Pilot #2 flies from B to C, why would I share the cost for the flight from B to C since I can't log that?

As someone else said, you apparently don't understand how safety pilot works. Flying from A to B and from B to C IS ALL DONE VFR WITH THE PILOTS TAKING TURNS UNDER A HOOD. Therefore both pilots can count the ALL the time, except for the few minutes takeoff and landing when the pilot flying isn't under the hood. Only the pilot flying can count that.

35Right
03-14-2020, 09:21 PM
As someone else said, you apparently don't understand how safety pilot works. Flying from A to B and from B to C IS ALL DONE VFR WITH THE PILOTS TAKING TURNS UNDER A HOOD.

I have a full and complete understanding of what safety piloting is. You are not paying attention to what I'm saying.

Is there anyone......that needs a safety pilot or is doing Time building and would like to split the cost PM thanks

The OP asks if anyone [1] needs a safety pilot or [2] is doing time building and wants to split cost.

Perhaps by saying "or is doing time building" he/she was actually offering to be PF while another individual acted as the safety pilot. That's not how it sounded though. As Kettlechips mentioned above, the question seems to imply there is a second method in addition to safety piloting (note the "or" in the OPs question), which can be used to build PIC.

BravoPapa
03-14-2020, 09:37 PM
I have a full and complete understanding of what safety piloting is. You are not paying attention to what I'm saying.

The OP asks if anyone [1] needs a safety pilot or [2] is doing time building and wants to split cost.

Perhaps by saying "or is doing time building" he/she was actually offering to be PF while another individual acted as the safety pilot. That's not how it sounded though. As Kettlechips mentioned above, the question seems to imply there is a second method in addition to safety piloting (note the "or" in the OPs question), which can be used to build PIC.

Yeah, doesn't sound like that to me. What he means, or the way I read it is if you're doing time building, why don't we do it together and split the costs by doing it under the hood. Otherwise as you said, there would be no benefit. So I assume that's what he meant from the start.

VegasChris
03-15-2020, 05:23 AM
Or if one person is a CFI and gives instruction both can log it as PIC along with dual given/dual recieved. Lots of CFIs are pretty slow right now