Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Scoop
03-11-2020, 05:24 PM
Starting Friday. This is going to get interesting.:eek:

Scoop

ShyGuy
03-11-2020, 05:31 PM
I知 fully expecting furloughs. :eek:

weasil
03-11-2020, 05:32 PM
Yeah this is bad. Oy

Flying Monkey
03-11-2020, 05:33 PM
I知 fully expecting furloughs. :eek:

I知 not. Far too early for that kind of talk, imho.

20Fathoms
03-11-2020, 05:39 PM
Holy smokes. That will sideline entire categories. Knew I should致e bid a line of Amsterdam trips....:rolleyes:

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 05:41 PM
I知 not. Far too early for that kind of talk, imho.
Agreed. Its 30 day suspension on flights from Europe; Amcits exempt with screening is what I heard (could be wrong had some background noise so wasn't clear). Pretty sure this was discussed with air carriers before the decision as it not only affects US carriers, but European as well. That's a lot of metal and a lot of people affected. They are not going to wipe out the US and European Air Line industry over this.

Probably be tax breaks, and emergency funds tied to this. Furloughs, meh. Too early. Besides if you've been around this business Shy Guy, you know it is volatile. Should always be prepared with a fund. You ain't got the stomach for it, then probably time to move on to another career.

lake
03-11-2020, 05:47 PM
Rumor is that they wanted to shut down all public travel and Congress asked for them to wait a few days. If things don't change for the better expect all public travel including cruises and flights to stop Sunday...
coming from DC lawyer who works for white house

popcopy
03-11-2020, 05:49 PM
Rumor is that they wanted to shut down all public travel and Congress asked for them to wait a few days. If things don't change for the better expect all public travel including cruises and flights to stop Sunday...

I'd be alright with that. Hole up in my house with the fam, distance myself from neighbors and co-workers. Work in the garden, take a walk, and eat pancakes 24/7 out of the 5 10lb bags of pancake mix we have. Can we please do this?

tunes
03-11-2020, 05:50 PM

and that's exactly what that is, a rumor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80ktsClamp
03-11-2020, 05:51 PM
My bet (again) is that we see localized full shut downs over the next few weeks.

The cases will more than likely wane after a peak in a couple weeks and things will rebound sharply. People don't like being holed up and will demand to get back out after a bit.

Also... does the UK have rail lines to mainland Europe or anything? ;)

Viking busdvr
03-11-2020, 05:52 PM
I'd be alright with that. Hole up in my house with the fam, distance myself from neighbors and co-workers. Work in the garden, take a walk, and eat pancakes 24/7 out of the 5 10lb bags of pancake mix we have. Can we please do this?

the question is- Did you get in on the TP hoarding early in the game? Otherwise you may want to ease up on the pancakes a bit....

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 05:54 PM
We're safe in our van down by the river. Got the bunker right there in case it goes all World War Z out there. TP stocks are buttressed, we've got rolls of duct tape and plastic to seal all the air leaks up tight. Got the respirators tuned up. Lots of canned food, the Alex Jones water filter and pancake mix too. Bring it.

forgot to bid
and that's exactly what that is, a rumor

But its a rumor on the internet

deltabound

Simple fact is, if you could get 330 million people to "shelter in place" for two weeks (then seal the border, or 2 week quarantine travelers), you could probably nip all of this in the bud.

I don't think this can happen in the USA, however. Starting with ZERO social trust (like Japan) and very weak government control (unlike China). Not to mention the average schmuck doesn't have $50 to their name, and can't miss even a second of work.

The Atlantic had a couple of good pieces about this:

Where to go if you get CV:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/where-do-you-go-if-you-get-coronavirus/607759/

Cancel Everything: (https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/where-do-you-go-if-you-get-coronavirus/607759/)
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/

Iceberg
03-11-2020, 05:55 PM
the question is- Did you get in on the TP hoarding early in the game? Otherwise you may want to ease up on the pancakes a bit....

My household is bad at this stocking up thing. We only have about 4 rolls left. I may have rounded up. Pancakes ran out tonight too..

forgot to bid
03-11-2020, 05:55 PM
Just use the water hose people

deltabound
03-11-2020, 05:57 PM

Thank you.

Hoarding TP makes zero sense for the zombie apocalypse.

OTH, this might be a good time to buy some stock in Bidet producers stock....

Aviator147
03-11-2020, 05:58 PM
Official statement says it applies to foreign nationals. Flights might continue at a reduced rate?

tennisguru
03-11-2020, 05:58 PM
NBA just suspended the rest of the season...

CX500T
03-11-2020, 05:59 PM

I use the water hose on those who come to raid my TP stash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HilVFpvzuBM

forgot to bid
03-11-2020, 06:00 PM
I once heard the company liked code sharing for risk sharing.

This will be interesting.

OOfff
03-11-2020, 06:01 PM
. Besides if you've been around this business Shy Guy, you know it is volatile. Should always be prepared with a fund. You ain't got the stomach for it, then probably time to move on to another career.
Stay classy.

forgot to bid
03-11-2020, 06:06 PM
Tom Hanks has it.

I say that. Because he seems to be one of the first mega celebrities to get it.

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 06:08 PM
Stay classy.
moderating now? get over yourself. nothing harmful or hateful in that statement.

ERflyer
03-11-2020, 06:11 PM

I have flown two NBA charters and have been to Europe all in the last 15 days. I feel a need to self quarantine. Looks like I値l get that chance.

deltabound
03-11-2020, 06:16 PM
I use the water hose on those who come to raid my TP stash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HilVFpvzuBM

SNORT!!!!

After 30 years, Cornholio finally makes sense.

Chakerik
03-11-2020, 06:20 PM
moderating now? get over yourself. nothing harmful or hateful in that statement.

oof is always on a high horse

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 06:24 PM
oof is always on a high horse
I will admit, it was a bit terse. I'll do better.
Tone is lost often in written word on the interwebs unless you write like Hemingway or Kipling.

Name User
03-11-2020, 06:25 PM
My bet (again) is that we see localized full shut downs over the next few weeks.

The cases will more than likely wane after a peak in a couple weeks and things will rebound sharply. People don't like being holed up and will demand to get back out after a bit.

Also... does the UK have rail lines to mainland Europe or anything? ;)
My wife's friend said it best when a concert they were going to this weekend was canceled..."we'll just go somewhere else".

Fatcat
03-11-2020, 06:30 PM
there were rumors that Rudy Gobert possibly had the virus because he was touching mics last night and got sick.

Turbo1
03-11-2020, 06:31 PM
I can't even attend my kids graduation from medical school because of this bull**** Total overreaction but looking for early retirement

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 06:32 PM
Release Date:
March 11, 2020(WASHINGTON) Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation

Banzai
03-11-2020, 06:34 PM
My optimism is waning...

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 06:36 PM
hang in there....this will pass soon enough

SparrowBird
03-11-2020, 06:38 PM
and everyone attacked me.

dbrownie
03-11-2020, 06:39 PM

Good point, I think a month or so will really clarify this. Going to be hard to wait it out.

popcopy
03-11-2020, 06:42 PM

We're safe in our van down by the river. Got the bunker right there in case it goes all World War Z out there. TP stocks are buttressed, we've got rolls of duct tape and plastic to seal all the air leaks up tight. Got the respirators tuned up. Lots of canned food, the Alex Jones water filter and pancake mix too. Bring it.

I'm not a prepper by any means! -- unless hoarding 5 10lb bags of pancakes (and numerous boxes of pasta) make me a prepper. Although, looking at this graph, it's pretty clear. In 10-14 days, it's gonna be bananas out there: https://i.imgur.com/sHM2j89.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/sHM2j89.jpg)
I can read these tea leaves pretty well. The worst is yet to come.

Scoop
03-11-2020, 06:43 PM
I will admit, it was a bit terse. I'll do better.
Tone is lost often in written word on the interwebs unless you write like Hemingway or Kipling.'

Just to lighten the mood a little bit.

I don't write like them but in any case I feel Dickens is more appropriate - to paraphrase "It was the best of times it is looking like the worst of times." :D

Lets not forget Caddyshack "I don't think the bad stuff will happen for quite a while."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB2fMCTEQn4

forgot to bid
03-11-2020, 06:43 PM
Good point, I think a month or so will really clarify this. Going to be hard to wait it out.

Patience will wear out before then. Also winter is ending.

That groundhog bill murray took to play whack a mole at the arcade said so.

I mean carl spackler
😁

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 06:45 PM
The worst is yet to come.
World War Z man. It's on like donkey kong.

forgot to bid
03-11-2020, 06:46 PM
Well. Ive been wanting to watch Strategic Air Command. Free on prime. Im going in

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 06:48 PM
Well. Ive been wanting to watch Strategic Air Command. Free on prime. Im going in
I'd add 12 o'clock High to the list as well.

OOfff
03-11-2020, 06:50 PM
Telling you your comment lacks class isn稚 杜oderating, it痴 feedback.

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 06:50 PM
'
Lets not forget Caddyshack "I don't think the bad stuff will happen for quite a while."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB2fMCTEQn4
Big hitter, the Lama.

popcopy
03-11-2020, 06:52 PM
I'd add 12 o'clock High to the list as well.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi is also avail on Netflix and is absolutely awesome.

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 06:59 PM
Telling you your comment lacks class isn稚 杜oderating, it痴 feedback.
You mean unsolicited feedback. Which is basically you have an opinion. That's fine. I have one as well. I don't care what you think is classy or not. You broach content affect with that act. That is the moderators purview. Not yours. You should stay in your wheel house - or become a moderator. Maybe next time send a PM when you have an opinion on someone's content.

Nvrgofullretard
03-11-2020, 07:10 PM
You mean unsolicited feedback. Which is basically you have an opinion. That's fine. I have one as well. I don't care what you think is classy or not. You broach content affect with that act. That is the moderators purview. Not yours. You should stay in your wheel house - or become a moderator. Maybe next time send a PM when you have an opinion on someone's content.

lol.....triggered

Phins2right
Jiro Dreams of Sushi is also avail on Netflix and is absolutely awesome.
I've actually been to his place in Ginza. It was out of this world.

Phins2right
lol.....triggered
oh yeah, totally. welcome aboard!

Thruster
03-11-2020, 07:14 PM
I've actually been to his place in Ginza. It was out of this world.

I heard he recently lost his Michelin Star for only catering to the the G650 crowd or something like that?

80ktsClamp
03-11-2020, 07:16 PM
Ban is only to foreign nationals who have been to certain parts of Europe.... that's a bit of a change.

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 07:21 PM
I heard he recently lost his Michelin Star for only catering to the the G650 crowd or something like that?
I don't know about that. We were there in 2008.

Wouldn't surprise me as I don't think they take "general" reservations. We got in there thanks to the concierge at the Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo.

newKnow
03-11-2020, 07:30 PM
Ban is only to foreign nationals who have been to certain parts of Europe.... that's a bit of a change.

Until it gets chaged again. Who's in charge here?

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 07:32 PM
Until it gets chaged again. Who's in charge here?
The chicken. :D

OOfff
03-11-2020, 07:36 PM
yeah, I知 just going to continue naming classless comments as such. I知 not sorry you have a problem with that.

Denny Crane
03-11-2020, 07:37 PM

Watch Dr Strangelove........more appropriate for our situation. :)

Along with the TP I got a 1000 rounds of ammunition...

Denny

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 07:44 PM
yeah, I知 just going to continue naming classless comments as such. I知 not sorry you have a problem with that.
So if you call out 50 classless posts - in your opinion - do you get a prize? Just curious.

Phins2right
03-11-2020, 07:46 PM

Denny
I like the cut of your Jib there Mr. Denny.

Denny Crane
03-11-2020, 07:57 PM
I like the cut of your Jib there Mr. Denny.

Here you go!!!:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

Denny

OOfff
03-11-2020, 08:02 PM
So if you call out 50 classless posts - in your opinion - do you get a prize? Just curious.
no, obviously not. However, maybe you値l think twice about posting garbage like that since this episode has made you so upset

C17B74
03-11-2020, 08:15 PM

Denny

What about the Bible, Russian Rubles, pack of chewing gum and one prophylactic. Boy can have a good time in Vegas or something like that. That痴 good stuff Denny C!
*1000 rounds ain稚 near enuff though...

ShyGuy
03-11-2020, 08:15 PM
75 posts and joined Feb? Second screen name :D

Phins, I致e been in the industry post 9/11 but pre 2008 recession. I致e seen some volatility. Age 65, 2008-2010 recession, MERS, Ebola, and this Covid. I値l probably be okay - better than most - but that isn稚 the point here. The point is unlike any of the previous downturns, it doesn稚 look like there is any fiscal/tax break/economic fix to this one. This is fear, people staying home, people not spending, not traveling, not flying. The only 吐ix has to be a medical one and a vaccine is a year out. For our industry this is very damning. Obviously we aren稚 going into furloughs right away. The industry will offer unpaid leaves of absence first. It all depends how long this lasts. I知 hoping this thing fizzles out in the summer or sooner. But if this lasts a while, airlines like Delta have already announced 15-40% capacity cuts. If those last for a longer timeframe than the summer or later this year, furloughs would be inevitable.

Hopefully this thing ends by summer and people go back to normal. As of now advanced booking outlook has ABSOLUTELY tanked.

Bucking Bar
03-12-2020, 02:49 AM

Yeah, so that's not really a "ban" at all.

Italy locked down restaurants. Food delivery service wait times are running 9 days. Italy has a lot of older smokers. The Italian death rate from SARS-2, COVID-19 is well over twice the global average.

The United States has 327,000,000 people. I hope we can bring the % of recovery up much higher than the global average. https://www.census.gov/popclock/

3 green
03-12-2020, 03:01 AM
Does everyone expect to get the coronavirus at some point, or do you think you will not get it?

Bucking Bar
03-12-2020, 03:17 AM
Does everyone expect to get the coronavirus at some point, or do you think you will not get it?

It is going to be as common as the cold and if you are a <60 non-smoker (or other environmental hazards) then it will be about as dangerous as bad flu (around 1% mortality). If you are an older smoker or compromised, it is going to be very serious.

Would like to see Delta step up and handle the inevitable exposure we will get while traveling as an OJI.

tennisguru
03-12-2020, 03:47 AM
It is going to be as common as the cold and if you are a <60 non-smoker (or other environmental hazards) then it will be about as dangerous as bad flu (around 1% mortality). If you are an older smoker or compromised, it is going to be very serious.

Would like to see Delta step up and handle the inevitable exposure we will get while traveling as an OJI.
I think they are starting to see obesity as an underlying issue that can make it worse as well.

ERflyer
03-12-2020, 04:57 AM

Would like to see Delta step up and handle the inevitable exposure we will get while traveling as an OJI.的 served six presidents and have never done anything other than tell the exact scientific evidence and made policy recommendations based on the science and the evidence.

的 mean, people always say, well, the flu does this, the flu does that, Fauci said. 典he flu has a mortality of 0.1 percent. This has a mortality rate of 10 times that. That痴 the reason I want to emphasize we have to stay ahead of the game in preventing this."

- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Dr. Anthony S. Fauci

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 05:03 AM
10*0.1=1 So 1% is basically what he's saying?

ERflyer
03-12-2020, 05:04 AM

Yes.

Based on what we know at this time.

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 05:05 AM
75 posts and joined Feb? Second screen name :D

Phins, I致e been in the industry post 9/11 but pre 2008 recession. I致e seen some volatility. Age 65, 2008-2010 recession, MERS, Ebola, and this Covid. I値l probably be okay - better than most - but that isn稚 the point here. The point is unlike any of the previous downturns, it doesn稚 look like there is any fiscal/tax break/economic fix to this one. This is fear, people staying home, people not spending, not traveling, not flying. The only 吐ix has to be a medical one and a vaccine is a year out. For our industry this is very damning. Obviously we aren稚 going into furloughs right away. The industry will offer unpaid leaves of absence first. It all depends how long this lasts. I知 hoping this thing fizzles out in the summer or sooner. But if this lasts a while, airlines like Delta have already announced 15-40% capacity cuts. If those last for a longer timeframe than the summer or later this year, furloughs would be inevitable.

Hopefully this thing ends by summer and people go back to normal. As of now advanced booking outlook has ABSOLUTELY tanked.
We are not that far apart on when we arrived.
It's my 69th screen name BTW ;)

contrails12
03-12-2020, 05:11 AM

Yes so if 60% of the US population gets in infected

300M X .6 X .01 = ?

1,800,000 people die

Fredturbo
03-12-2020, 05:12 AM
My optimism is waning...

waning moon versus waxing moon. I always get those mixed up.
are you sure your optimism isn稚 waxing?

Scoop
03-12-2020, 05:15 AM

I saw that. But if planes are pretty empty how many will we be flying to Europe? No one knows how this will end. This could be short lived but bring on a recession. I mean NBA canceled? What about MLB? On the other hand this could burn out quickly and after a very slow period pent up demand may kick in.

We are in uncharted territory, you know where they would draw dragons and sea monsters on old maps :D. As many have said, hope for the best and plan for the worst.

And now for something totally different. A stream of consciousness on toilet paper (TP):

With all this demand for TP due to a flu, imagine what a pandemic of the Hershey squirts would look like! I think I am going to add TP to my investment portfolio. Store about 5000 cases in the attic and shed and during the next crisis I'm golden.
My goal is to be the TP king of Chicago. When you hear the term "Big TP" in the future you will know it started right here. Gentlemen we can not allow a TP gap to develop! If only MR Whipple was here to guide us through these TP challenged times.

Does anyone under 40 even know what I am talking about or are these just the non-sensical ravings of a lunatic madman?

Scoop - Trying to look on the bright side of life. :)

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 05:17 AM
Yes.

Based on what we know at this time.

300M X .6 X .01 = ?

1,800,000 people die
Yup, that's what the math says.
It's the end of the world as we know it.

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 05:19 AM
I saw that. But if planes are pretty empty how many will we be flying to Europe? No one knows how this will end. This could be short lived but bring on a recession. I mean NBA canceled? What about MLB? On the other hand this could burn out quickly and after a very slow period pent up demand may kick in.

We are in uncharted territory, you know where they would draw dragons and sea monsters on old maps :D. As many have said, hope for the best and plan for the worst.

And now for something totally different. A stream of consciousness on toilet paper (TP):

With all this demand for TP due to a flu, imagine what a pandemic of the Hershey squirts would look like! I think I am going to add TP to my investment portfolio. Store about 5000 cases in the attic and shed and during the next crisis I'm golden.
My goal is to be the TP king of Chicago. When you here the term "Big TP" in the future you will know it started right here. Gentlemen we can not allow a TP gap to develop! If only MR Whipple was here to guide us through these TP challenged times.

Does anyone under 40 even know what I am talking about or are these just the non-sensical ravings of a lunatic madman?

Scoop - Trying to look on the bright side of life. :)
Don't squeeze the Charmin. Rats, dated myself now haven't I.

popcopy
03-12-2020, 05:28 AM

300M X .6 X .01 = ?

1,800,000 people die

Now try and fathom the amount of hospital overcrowding for the other 18 million americans who require hospitalization.

Book will be written about this.

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 05:34 AM
Now try and fathom the amount of hospital overcrowding for the other 18 million americans who require hospitalization.

Time to shut down the country. Quarantine everyone. Martial Law!! <---this is sarcasm. As was the other post re: the end of the world.

My wife is an MD, I'm not worried about this bug. As the number of truly infected comes to light, the mortality % will fall.

GucciBoy
03-12-2020, 05:34 AM
Yup, that's what the math says.

It's the end of the world as we know it.

300M X .6 X .01 = ?

1,800,000 people die

The reason the seasonal flu has a low mortality rate is due in large part to the high infection rate. The more people contract COVID-19, the lower the mortality rate will become. Once the vaccine is available, it will be just another flu strain that kills .1% of the people it infects (the vast majority of which are high-risk individuals).

If you think Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are going to experience anything other than mild inconvenience, you池e officially a mass-hysteria participant.

TED74
03-12-2020, 05:39 AM
The reason the seasonal flu has a low mortality rate is due in large part to the high infection rate. The more people contract COVID-19, the lower the mortality rate will become. Once the vaccine is available, it will be just another flu strain that kills .1% of the people it infects (the vast majority of which are high-risk individuals).

If you think Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are going to experience anything other than mild inconvenience, you池e officially a mass-hysteria participant.

The flu also has a vaccine that has varying levels of effectiveness, and widespread usage.

My folks are older and immunocompromised. One is on dialysis and can't just stay home. My neighbors have little ones with at-risk lung/breathing conditions. I'm sure Tom Hanks is going to be fine, but that's not the cause of my concern.

forgot to bid
03-12-2020, 05:42 AM

No. Theyre going to die. They have to. You get this, you die. Right?

/s but thats how people are acting. When in reality they should have concerned for those are compromised- just like any flu.

How many people have it. Supposedly it spreads fast and ocmes across very mild unless you have other issues. Meaning the x in x/(known deaths) is way larger than we know. Meaning the mortality rate is far smaller than 1%.

Meaning we lost our minds over something similar to the flu that we live with every year and collectively ignore.

CBreezy
03-12-2020, 05:48 AM
Time to shut down the country. Quarantine everyone. Martial Law!! <---this is sarcasm. As was the other post re: the end of the world.

My wife is an MD, I'm not worried about this bug. As the number of truly infected comes to light, the mortality % will fall.

But you have to test to do this. The Admin is so concerned about the stock market and the election that they have, until recently, tried to prevent people from getting tested and claiming they have it locked down. They look like idiots

D B Cooper
03-12-2020, 05:49 AM

So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.

The mortality rate on this isn't accurate, because they have no idea how many have been infected and are showing mild or no symptoms. Anyone who has contracted a cold or flu since January could have had this particular virus.

forgot to bid
03-12-2020, 05:50 AM
But you have to test to do this. The Admin is so concerned about the stock market and the election that they have, until recently, tried to prevent people from getting tested aey nd claiming they have it locked down. They look like idiots

They lifted all bans on testing afaik. But if you.have limited tests, what do you do?

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 05:54 AM
But you have to test to do this. The Admin is so concerned about the stock market and the election that they have, until recently, tried to prevent people from getting tested and claiming they have it locked down. They look like idiots
You're pretty uninformed about this. I'll leave it at that. My wife's hospital has been getting regular updates since early Feb on this bug. They have their protocols in place, this includes testing for those that present the specific symptoms of the CV-19. The docs know what to look for, you don't, and neither does any professed medical/virologist expert on this forum. Let's leave the "medicining" to the pro's OK? Oh yeah invest in Quest and Labcorp....

CBreezy
03-12-2020, 06:01 AM
You're pretty uninformed about this. I'll leave it at that. My wife's hospital has been getting regular updates since early Feb on this bug. They have their protocols in place, this includes testing for those that present the specific symptoms of the CV-19. The docs know what to look for, you don't, and neither does any professed medical/virologist expert on this forum. Let's leave the "medicining" to the pro's OK? Oh yeah invest in Quest and Labcorp....
​​​​​​
Until recently, the CDC has limited testing to people who presented symptoms AND had traveled to a problem area/been in contact with someone with the virus. This is a fact.

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 06:09 AM
​​​​​​
Until recently, the CDC has limited testing to people who presented symptoms AND had traveled to a problem area/been in contact with someone with the virus. This is a fact.
There has been more testing than just that I can assure you. Listen, you can't have 150M+ people run to the hospitals demanding to be tested. That will overwhelm ANY medical system (gov't run, private, whatever). See what they're working towards? Perhaps not. No sense wasting O2 on you about anyway. My doc wife has no idea what's she's talking about. You're right, this is going to be an unmitigated disaster of biblical proportions. Best of luck to you, and see you on the other side.

CBreezy
03-12-2020, 06:15 AM
There has been more testing than just that I can assure you. Listen, you can't have 150M+ people run to the hospitals demanding to be tested. That will overwhelm ANY medical system (gov't run, private, whatever). See what they're working towards? Perhaps not. No sense wasting O2 on you about anyway. My doc wife has no idea what's she's talking about. You're right, this is going to be an unmitigated disaster of biblical proportions. Best of luck to you, and see you on the other side.

That isn't at all what I am saying.

Also this. I'm sure your wife is way more qualified than he him.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/03/811504588/cdc-criticized-for-its-slow-release-of-coronavirus-testing-kits

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 06:58 AM
That isn't at all what I am saying.

Also this. I'm sure your wife is way more qualified than he him.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/03/811504588/cdc-criticized-for-its-slow-release-of-coronavirus-testing-kits
yes, yes she is. Because unlike this clown she knows how long it can take to develop tests for a previously unknown bug. She also is smart enough to not make this a political hit job. Her charge is do no harm. She is a healer first and foremost. She understands there will be time to analyze the what's,who's and how's once we get past this. However, now is not the time to be casting stones. Good day to you.

deltabound
03-12-2020, 07:02 AM

It's always darkest before it's pitch black.

(I kid, I kid!)

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 07:05 AM
It's always darkest before it's pitch black.

(I kid, I kid!)
Thats good there :D

CBreezy
03-12-2020, 07:05 AM
yes, yes she is. Because unlike this clown she knows how long it can take to develop tests for a previously unknown bug. She also is smart enough to not make this a political hit job. Her charge is do no harm. She is a healer first and foremost. She understands there will be time to analyze the what's,who's and how's once we get past this. However, now is not the time to be casting stones. Good day to you.

Did you ever bother to look at his resume? He's an MD and the head of National Center of Disaster Preparedness at Columbia University. But yes, I'm sure a generic doctor who works in a hospital know way more about pandemics than he does. LOL at you

deltabound
03-12-2020, 07:11 AM

300M X .6 X .01 = ?

1,800,000 people die

Mostly boomers though. They're damned expensive. Silver linings.

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 07:16 AM
Did you ever bother to look at his resume? He's an MD and the head of National Center of Disaster Preparedness at Columbia University. But yes, I'm sure a generic doctor who works in a hospital know way more about pandemics than he does. LOL at you
He's an academic. Don't't really care about his resume, he's not in a position to do anything but throw rocks. My wife is an adjunct at JH, shes mainly in the trenches though. Been there for decades. So yeah, not impressed by your NPR doc.

contrails12
03-12-2020, 07:24 AM
He's not practicing. He's in academics. You obviously are not near anyone in the medical field. Don't really care about his resume, he's not in a position to do anything but throw rocks.

i wonder when there痴 a space flight disaster if your wife goes on podiatrists central dot com and makes up a bunch of nonsense and when called out on it she says 努ell my husband is in the aerospace industry so I知 an expert don稚 question me

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 07:27 AM
i wonder when there痴 a space flight disaster if your wife goes on podiatrists central dot com and makes up a bunch of nonsense and when called out on it she says 努ell my husband is in the aerospace industry so I知 an expert don稚 question me
All the time.
Just relaying what I'm hearing from someone in the biz. What is it you are an expert at again?

BobZ
03-12-2020, 07:30 AM

Im sure npr likewise has no agenda. And wouldnt shop 'experts' to further that end.

GucciBoy
03-12-2020, 07:51 AM
He's an academic. Don't't really care about his resume, he's not in a position to do anything but throw rocks. My wife is an adjunct at JH, shes mainly in the trenches though. Been there for decades. So yeah, not impressed by your NPR doc.

I don稚 really care about this spat, but I will point out that you trashed a guy because he痴 殿n academic and in the next breath told us your wife is an academic.

Hank Kingsley
03-12-2020, 08:09 AM

My friend, you would have broken Dr. Janus's rocking chair in about 50 pieces.

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 08:27 AM
I don稚 really care about this spat, but I will point out that you trashed a guy because he痴 殿n academic and in the next breath told us your wife is an academic.
Yeah, but that's the facts. She doesn't do much there but is periodically engaged by them due to her expertise. Not full time.

forgot to bid
03-12-2020, 08:56 AM
Fear porn is the term some people use. And there are a lot of people who love to be miserable.

I for one will just stick to regular porn. :D

captkdobbs
03-12-2020, 08:59 AM
... A stream of consciousness on toilet paper (TP):
...Store about 5000 cases in the attic and shed and during the next crisis I'm golden.
Scoop - Trying to look on the bright side of life. :)I wonder what the R-value of TP is... You may have the best insulated attic and shed in the area, oh TP King.

StartngOvr
03-12-2020, 09:05 AM

300M X .6 X .01 = ?

1,800,000 people die

Your math is correct. Your 60% hypothetical is complete nonsense. That number is off by an order of magnitude, perhaps even two.

Seasonal flu is more contagious than this bug and nowhere near this number gets infected. And that痴 with none of the current protocols in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

theUpsideDown
03-12-2020, 09:11 AM
Im sure npr likewise has no agenda. And wouldnt shop 'experts' to further that end.
The NPR agenda? Is conservative media still pretending NPR has an agenda or are these left over talking points?

interceptorpilo
03-12-2020, 09:26 AM
The NPR agenda? Is conservative media still pretending NPR has an agenda or are these left over talking points?
Do you ever even listen to NPR? I do all the time and their agenda is so clear on different subjects it virtually smacks you in the face.

WIPilot
03-12-2020, 09:36 AM
Your math is correct. Your 60% hypothetical is complete nonsense. That number is off by an order of magnitude, perhaps even two.

Seasonal flu is more contagious than this bug and nowhere near this number gets infected. And that痴 with none of the current protocols in place.

Influenza has an R value of 1.3
COVID-19 has an R value of 2.2

The seasonal flu is NOT more contagious than this bug. Try using science.

BobZ
03-12-2020, 09:37 AM

Idk. Are you still pretending there is any kind of media that doesnt have some kind of agenda.

TED74
03-12-2020, 09:44 AM
Agendas are in the eye of the beholder. If you think gay folks by definition have an agenda, NPR probably does too. I think it is fair to say NPR leans progressive. Doesn't bother me a bit as a regular listener.

Web265
03-12-2020, 09:50 AM

That number is changing constantly. NYU just reported it for COVID-19 as 1.3-1.5. Literally minutes ago. They also feel that the R value will go down as more statistics come in.

The problem with quoting these statistics is they are rapidly changing as more data come from in.

forgot to bid
03-12-2020, 09:58 AM
That number is changing constantly. NYU just reported it for COVID-19 as 1.3-1.5. Literally minutes ago. They also feel that the R value will go down as more statistics come in.

The problem with quoting these statistics is they are rapidly changing as more data come from in.

Do you guys remember the movie We Were Soldiers? From the book We Were Soldiers once... and young.

There is a great scene where this Vietnam platoon was being held down in the middle of the night and decided to launch a flare to see where the vietcong were. And it turned out, all around them. That's what I think is really going to happen with COVID19. It's here. We're just noticing it now. Doesn't hurt to curb influx of likely carriers.

Or put it in airplane terms. It's night, and you're in the middle of thunderstorms, but none of them have lightning and you have a A320 radar. You are desperate to know where these build ups are.

All of a sudden a big lightning flash and you see you're surrounded by massive storms! And just like that, it goes dark again.

gloopy
03-12-2020, 09:59 AM
Tom Hanks has it.

And once again he's stuck on an island with Wilson.

https://sm.mashable.com/t/mashable_sea/news/t/tom-hanks-/tom-hanks-and-rita-wilson-test-positive-for-coronavirus_fn2g.960.png

Anyway one aspect of the so called European "travel ban" that's getting almost no coverage is that its being continuously monitored with the specific goal of reducing the 30 day duration if possibe. That could happen by region (Germany has thus far shown some of the better numbers WRT Cv19) and as testing/screening and better data come in (duration of being contageous while aasymptomatic, how long we know it can live on surfaces and a bunch of other things) we could see EU travel return sooner. Even if it lasts 30 days an orderly resumption will be very manageable.

The goal isn't really even to stop the spread, although that would be nice. The real policy prize will be if the curve can be flattened. A sudden spike could quickly overwhelm ER's, ICU's, number of ventilators available nationwide as well as hospital bed space.

And yet some still want open borders with unlimited free western style medical for the entire planet.

forgot to bid
03-12-2020, 10:00 AM

https://sm.mashable.com/t/mashable_sea/news/t/tom-hanks-/tom-hanks-and-rita-wilson-test-positive-for-coronavirus_fn2g.960.png

Anyway one aspect of the so called European "travel ban" that's getting almost no coverage is that its being continuously monitored with the specific goal of reducing the 30 day duration if possibe. That could happen by region (Germany has thus far shown some of the better numbers WRT Cv19) and as testing/screening and better data come in (duration of being contageous while aasymptomatic, how long we know it can live on surfaces and a bunch of other things) we could see EU travel return sooner. Even if it lasts 30 days an orderly resumption will be very manageable.

The goal isn't really even to stop the spread, although that would be nice. The real policy prize will be if the curve can be flattened. A sudden spike could quickly overwhelm ER's, ICU's, number of ventilators available nationwide as well as hospital bed space.

And yet some still want open borders with unlimited free western style medical for the entire planet.

:D :D that's hilarious

BobZ
03-12-2020, 10:01 AM

its no different logic than the one used to limit terrorist infiltration.

StartngOvr
03-12-2020, 10:03 AM

Reliable numbers aren稚 established for COVID-19. Try using common sense.

But, since you池e an airline pilot who happens to be the leading virology expert (fancy stats and buzzwords) I値l defer you you. You池e right: 1.8 million are going to die.

gloopy
03-12-2020, 10:05 AM

What do you mean?

BobZ
03-12-2020, 10:06 AM
Reliable numbers aren稚 established for COVID-19. Try using common sense.

But, since you池e an airline pilot who happens to be the leading virology expert (fancy stats and buzzwords) I値l defer you you. You池e right: 1.8 million are going to die.

On the bright side it will likely solve homelessness and limited housing issues.

contrails12
03-12-2020, 10:07 AM

which is to say no logic at all

Almost all 9/11 high jackers were Saudis (exempt from travel ban) And none walked across the southern border (pointless wall)

BobZ
03-12-2020, 10:09 AM
What do you mean?

I mean the US limits or prevents travel and entry from locations that do not have adequate screening or security for hostile actors.

This is a battle/war. An unintentional hostile actor carrying a deadly pathogen is no less a threat to the homeland than a deliberate one.

Mesabah
03-12-2020, 10:11 AM

Almost all 9/11 high jackers were Saudis (exempt from travel ban) And none walked across the southern border (pointless wall)
If conservatives were crossing the southern border, the wall would be 1000ft high already. That thing is a political issue, nothing more.

gloopy
03-12-2020, 10:13 AM
I mean the US limits or prevents travel and entry from locations that do not have adequate screening or security for hostile actors.

This is a battle/war. An unintentional hostile actor carrying a deadly pathogen is no less a threat to the homeland than a deliberate one.

Right. This is a political propaganda catch 22 for any administration and any party out of power will be chomping at the bit to capitalize on it no matter what. Do something and its too much yet no matter what happens you didn't do enough.

BobZ
03-12-2020, 10:17 AM

Those saudis entered and stayed in the US under allowed immigration policy.

They were allowed to stay and act UNMONITORED.....because that is what the US government allowed. And imho...encouraged.

They also did not board the aircraft with any weapon that was not permitted by the FAA.

And the crews that confronted these individuals were COMPELLED by government directives to present no defense of the aircraft.

is that too much logic for you? Or are you and Doc Brown gona take a spin in the Delorean and change all that history so your nonsensical axe grinding will make sense.

CBreezy
03-12-2020, 11:28 AM

This is a dumb analogy. First, you can't catch terrorism. It doesn't float though the air and you can't leave it on surfaces. Second, it's already here. It's like spraying the perimeter of your property for termites because your roof caved in. You want to really solve this? You need to identify where the risk is currently through testing, encourage people to stay home if they are sick and keep emphasizing good hygiene. The only thing we can do is delay the spread until they create a vaccine or anti-viral so that it doesn't overwhelm our healthcare system.

BobZ
03-12-2020, 11:45 AM
This is a dumb analogy. First, you can't catch terrorism. It doesn't float though the air and you can't leave it on surfaces. Second, it's already here. It's like spraying the perimeter of your property for termites because your roof caved in. You want to really solve this? You need to identify where the risk is currently through testing, encourage people to stay home if they are sick and keep emphasizing good hygiene. The only thing we can do is delay the spread until they create a vaccine or anti-viral so that it doesn't overwhelm our healthcare system.

So you are advocating the position that continued unfettered entry to the US by people from anyplace in the world will have no negative impact on the success of the program you lay out.

Got it.

Its peculiar that my termite company protects my home by treating the soil around the perimeter of the structure.

Creating a barrier to intrusion by the vir..uhh i mean insects.

But then.....what do termite experts know about anything.

Hank Kingsley
03-12-2020, 12:03 PM
I'm not a Dr. Guess you have to say that if you read what the experts are reporting and repeat it here. But I do have a Dr. and RN in the immediate family. So I listen to their conversations.

The Chinese have slowed it down quite a bit. The S. Koreans have drive thru testing, Aussies have testing for all. And we don't even know how many people have been tested. John Bolton's NSC got rid the pandemic response team May 2018, that might have been short sighted. Those guys might have slowed it down here, assumption. The Italian fatality rate is 6.6%. Been to Italy, not a surprise.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Good website. I believe it's REAL news.

CBreezy
03-12-2020, 12:07 PM
So you are advocating the position that continued unfettered entry to the US by people from anyplace in the world will have no negative impact on the success of the program you lay out.

Got it.

Its peculiar that my termite company protects my home by treating the soil around the perimeter of the structure.

Creating a barrier to intrusion by the vir..uhh i mean insects.

But then.....what do termite experts know about anything.

That isn't what I'm saying at all. Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension.

​​ I'm saying closing the borders as THE mitigation strategy after the virus is basically in every major city in the US is like spraying your property after the termites have already infiltrated your house and caused major damage.

BobZ
03-12-2020, 12:10 PM
That isn't what I'm saying at all. Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension.

Ok. Whatever you say chief.

Its doubtful entry restrictions are the single strategy. Assuming so may fit a personal narrative....but that doesnt make it so.

contrails12
03-12-2020, 12:20 PM
the markets are responding well to the the administrations big announcement last night... only down 10% today

theUpsideDown
03-12-2020, 12:44 PM
Do you ever even listen to NPR? I do all the time and their agenda is so clear on different subjects it virtually smacks you in the face.
Ahhh, hate listening. I listen to NPR for news only, and really just the 5 min hourly which is just the facts.

*listens to npr first time ever* oh my God planet money and science Friday just told me to have an abortion. Quick to the stupid cave.
Idk. Are you still pretending there is any kind of media that doesnt have some kind of agenda.
Well I think your conflating NPR the network with some members and employees who have a left leaning and sometimes liberal view. That's not uncommon for media, which is why fox started. Fox and other MSM all have advertising they're hosting which is the goal (make a living because news ain't free). I'm not arguing the employees may be made up of some die hard liberals but they keep it out of the reporting and there's a lot of time spent keeping the facts in focus not the opinions.

Some folks like news flavored entertainment. I'm not a mascot for it but it's a free market. Consume what you like. I just want the news in 5 or less minutes. I got my own opinions already

colonials13
03-12-2020, 01:03 PM
Starting Friday. This is going to get interesting.:eek:

Scoop

Ban does not apply to Ireland.

BobZ
03-12-2020, 01:12 PM
Ban does not apply to Ireland.

Oh great. So we can look forward to still having drunk irishmen visiting us......i kidd i kidd. Lol

BobZ
03-12-2020, 01:15 PM
Ahhh, hate listening. I listen to NPR for news only, and really just the 5 min hourly which is just the facts.

*listens to npr first time ever* oh my God planet money and science Friday just told me to have an abortion. Quick to the stupid cave.

Well I think your conflating NPR the network with some members and employees who have a left leaning and sometimes liberal view. That's not uncommon for media, which is why fox started. Fox and other MSM all have advertising they're hosting which is the goal (make a living because news ain't free). I'm not arguing the employees may be made up of some die hard liberals but they keep it out of the reporting and there's a lot of time spent keeping the facts in focus not the opinions.

Some folks like news flavored entertainment. I'm not a mascot for it but it's a free market. Consume what you like. I just want the news in 5 or less minutes. I got my own opinions already

Every bit of media...in particular that calling itself 'news' is flavored.

80ktsClamp
03-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Oh great. So we can look forward to still having drunk irishmen visiting us......i kidd i kidd. Lol
Going to Ireland and getting drunk sounds much more palatable. 😬

Mesabah
03-12-2020, 01:18 PM
If you want to know where you can still travel, look for a map of Trump golf resorts.

Gone Flying
03-12-2020, 01:44 PM
If you want to know where you can still travel, look for a map of Trump golf resorts.

if I'm not mistaken, you can still travel to/from most of continental Europe as long as you are a US citizen/ permanent resident. I HIGHLY doubt a golf resort has any bearing on this decision. I could be wrong though, last week I thought this would get better by end of march and be another H1N1 with minimal economic impact beyond. 3 months. it appears I was WAAY wrong there.

badflaps
03-12-2020, 02:49 PM
Seems rather short sighted to want sick people streaming TP all over your manicured lawn.

Hank Kingsley
03-12-2020, 03:05 PM
the markets are responding well to the the administrations big announcement last night... only down 10% today

I've seen deer in my headlights, but that was frightening. Buying opportunities are there.

captjns
03-12-2020, 04:10 PM

Typical behavior of El Jefe and his sycophantic mob at 1600 PA Ave... Ready... Fire... Aim!

LandGreen2
03-12-2020, 05:40 PM
Typical behavior of El Jefe and his sycophantic mob at 1600 PA Ave... Ready... Fire... Aim!

I Know Right..which one would be better at commanding this crisis? The socialist guy or the guy who claims 150 million gun deaths since 2007?

captjns
03-12-2020, 06:34 PM
I Know Right..which one would be better at commanding this crisis? The socialist guy or the guy who claims 150 million gun deaths since 2007?

how about rewindinding 60 days back to the perfect beautiful paradym fairy tail of yore, Reality check? Clearly presently, it ain’t working.

deltabound
03-12-2020, 07:38 PM

Yes! That makes perfect sense!

POTUS is issuing travel bans to increase golfing tours in foreign lands!

Thank you for your clarifying insight. (I'll be sure to update you when my COPD mother dies from COVID-19)

Scoop
03-12-2020, 07:49 PM
Guys,

Chill out with the political posts. If you want to be the first person to ever change someones political leaning on the internet please go to FB.

Scoop

80ktsClamp
03-12-2020, 08:20 PM
Guys,

Chill out with the political posts. If you want to be the first person to ever change someones political leaning on the internet please go to FB.

Scoop

And a hint on changing their political leaning there: You're not. :)

80ktsClamp
03-12-2020, 08:20 PM
While we're at it, Apple has reopened all stores in china. This too shall pass.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-12/apple-reopens-all-42-china-stores-after-virus-closures

Phins2right
03-12-2020, 10:23 PM
So let me get this straight. China unleashes a bio weapon, hides it for 3 months, it gets out, spreads across the world. And we are screaming bloody murder at US Government? It's somehow the US Governments fault?

Slaphappy
03-12-2020, 11:01 PM
So let me get this straight. China unleashes a bio weapon, hides it for 3 months, it gets out, spreads across the world. And we are screaming bloody murder at US Government? It's somehow the US Governments fault?
I think he works for Norwegian, thats really all that needs to be said.

dbrownie
03-13-2020, 04:27 AM
Fear porn is the term some people use. And there are a lot of people who love to be miserable.

I for one will just stick to regular porn. :D

You win post of the day