Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : The end of forced upgrades?

UnprotectdPilot
03-13-2020, 02:50 AM
One bonus of COVID-19 is that it’ll potentially let Envoy play a little catch up on staffing. Granted, there weren’t any displacements for upgrade or no the last vacancy bid, but it was rather small.

Also, with AA talking about capacity cuts and potential E190, 757, 767, and 330 retirements, flow might be coming to an end for awhile. Time to get comfy in your seat and start coming up with alternative plans if AA goes BK again...

NoValueAviator
03-13-2020, 05:07 AM
ah yes, what a boon. a glut of pilots devalues our labor and Envoy gets caught up on staffing. I’m sure they will approve lots of good LOAs needed to fix reserve and other issues while also approving drops in this environment

MqWhistleblower
03-13-2020, 05:42 AM
I wonder if the DECs are going to get displaced to FO

coodrough568
03-13-2020, 06:44 AM
I wonder if the DECs are going to get displaced to FO

Thats what I'm worried about with only a handful of CAs below me. On top of that I was displaced to captain on a jet I was never an FO on.

pitchattitude
03-13-2020, 07:12 AM
Thats what I'm worried about with only a handful of CAs below me. On top of that I was displaced to captain on a jet I was never an FO on.
Almost without exception, most FOs start out on a plane they have never been an FO on either!

SkylineAviation
03-13-2020, 07:29 AM
One bonus of COVID-19 is that it’ll potentially let Envoy play a little catch up on staffing. Granted, there weren’t any displacements for upgrade or no the last vacancy bid, but it was rather small.

Also, with AA talking about capacity cuts and potential E190, 757, 767, and 330 retirements, flow might be coming to an end for awhile. Time to get comfy in your seat and start coming up with alternative plans if AA goes BK again...

Not just talked about, it’s been announced 767 grounded in May. 757 end of summer 2021

Cyio
03-13-2020, 07:31 AM
Not just talked about, it’s been announced 767 grounded in May. 757 end of summer 2021
The MD80 was scheduled to go for about a decade before it actually went. We shall see.

SkylineAviation
03-13-2020, 07:34 AM
The MD80 was scheduled to go for about a decade before it actually went. We shall see.

I hope it doesn’t happen either but comparing the reasons for them announcing accelerating these groundings to the md80 is not fair

wiz5422
03-13-2020, 08:40 AM
With the accelerated reduction, the trickle effect is going to be felt by all WO to remain in compliance with scope.

Cujo665
03-13-2020, 12:23 PM
Delta just announced parking 300 jets. If something similar happens at AA, scope will force the parking of a mess of RJ’s.
Not good.

skyemiles2
03-13-2020, 12:33 PM
Delta just announced parking 300 jets. If something similar happens at AA, scope will force the parking of a mess of RJ’s.
Not good.

Would force majeure not apply in this situation, similar to the MAX? That would buy a few months before we’d have to park RJs, potentially enough to see the other side of this.

Cyio
03-13-2020, 01:30 PM
Not good.
"Up to 300 Jets" is the correct term. They are not parking 300, but they could park up to that. Lets not throw more wood on the fire than we need too.

MEGAFUPM
03-13-2020, 02:32 PM
"Up to 300 Jets" is the correct term. They are not parking 300, but they could park up to that. Lets not throw more wood on the fire than we need too.

We also don't fly for Delta.

buddies8
03-13-2020, 06:15 PM
but we secretly wish we did.

uavking
03-13-2020, 06:31 PM

It's naive to think that AA and UA aren't headed in the same direction in this environment.

MqWhistleblower
03-13-2020, 07:46 PM
DECS numbers have been updated. Furlough insight?

CLE to IAH
03-13-2020, 08:17 PM
sure. Considering they literally just TODAY said they will continue hiring.....

dera
03-13-2020, 08:24 PM

Or just the fact that DECS numbers usually update just before a vacancy bid?

MqWhistleblower
03-13-2020, 08:32 PM
Or just the fact that DECS numbers usually update just before a vacancy bid?

we shall see.

can we go back to AIP week? It wasn’t that bad

dera
03-13-2020, 08:35 PM
we shall see.

can we go back to AIP week? It wasn’t that bad

I mean, you as a whistleblower know that DECS numbers have nothing to do with company seniority? So where do you pull this furlough crap from?

MqWhistleblower
03-13-2020, 09:47 PM
I mean, you as a whistleblower know that DECS numbers have nothing to do with company seniority? So where do you pull this furlough crap from?

All I’m saying is that I wouldn’t leave a green banana in the crew room if I was a new hire

Cyio
03-14-2020, 03:16 AM
It's naive to think that AA and UA aren't headed in the same direction in this environment.
Perhaps, perhaps not. UA and DL had a much larger financial impact for the EU closing due to their strategic partners. Even still, the stock market managed to claw some gains back and the three major airline stocks all closed up. These are good signs for us.

Cyio
03-14-2020, 03:18 AM
Has any company, regional or major talked about furloughing anyone? Seems that would be suicide in this market once this all passed. I would think a better and more likely solution would be to offer unpaid leave to those that want it, much like Delta has offered. This could solve the problem or at least buy some time.

MEGAFUPM
03-14-2020, 03:28 AM
but we secretly wish we did.

With their history of treating regionals worse than American and their DGI success rate are you sure about that?

NoValueAviator
03-14-2020, 05:43 AM
Has any company, regional or major talked about furloughing anyone? Seems that would be suicide in this market once this all passed. I would think a better and more likely solution would be to offer unpaid leave to those that want it, much like Delta has offered. This could solve the problem or at least buy some time.

Compass is furloughing. TSA is firing all pilots and closing down.

MEGAFUPM
03-14-2020, 05:48 AM

TSA isn't firing "all" pilots. And them and compass were already letting people go before any of this started. No need to inflate things beyond the truth than they already are.

CLE to IAH
03-14-2020, 05:49 AM
were you asleep when TSA made their announcement and the reasons for their issue?

if not, why are you pretending they’re related?

NoValueAviator
03-14-2020, 05:56 AM
were you asleep when TSA made their announcement and the reasons for their issue?

The question was “has any company talked about furloughing anyone” and the answer is obviously yes, and recently. You seem feverish.

paulhood
03-14-2020, 06:00 AM

Both Compass and TSA received reductions from United, so even though they were already reducing flying, the COVID situation is accelerating the process, at TSA new hires were asked to resign, they were not planning on doing so, since they still needed pilots to finish the year and they were counting on attrition to take care of it, but with all the majors stopping new hire clases, then there is less attrition.

Also GoJet received reductions from United and Delta accelerated theirs by one month, an announcement was made to re-run the bids for April to avoid furloughs, also voluntary LOAs are being offered at this time.

Gooch
03-14-2020, 07:11 AM
This morning I furloughed some of this panic and negativity into the DFW sewer system after breakfast and coffee. Does that count?

StuckOnReserve
03-14-2020, 07:32 AM
Both Compass and TSA received reductions from United, so even though they were already reducing flying, the COVID situation is accelerating the process, at TSA new hires were asked to resign, they were not planning on doing so, since they still needed pilots to finish the year and they were counting on attrition to take care of it, but with all the majors stopping new hire clases, then there is less attrition.

Also GoJet received reductions from United and Delta accelerated theirs by one month, an announcement was made to re-run the bids for April to avoid furloughs, also voluntary LOAs are being offered at this time.

Compass doesn’t operate for United, they only operate for AA and Delta (not much longer).

TSA was going to close up shop by end of year but still planned to be active for summer flying. Since UA has reduced their schedule for April and May the 145’s they were going to transfer to XJT over the next 90 days are all going at once. But TSA was still already a sinking ship with no chance of surviving before the virus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsmytime
03-14-2020, 08:03 AM
Compass doesn’t operate for United, they only operate for AA and Delta (not much longer).

TSA was going to close up shop by end of year but still planned to be active for summer flying. Since UA has reduced their schedule for April and May the 145’s they were going to transfer to XJT over the next 90 days are all going at once. But TSA was still already a sinking ship with no chance of surviving before the virus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amazing how people try to pile on to prove a point. The poster you were responding to didn’t even know who compass was flying for, yet was quick to lump them in with the United reductions.

CLE to IAH
03-14-2020, 08:18 AM
The question was “has any company talked about furloughing anyone” and the answer is obviously yes, and recently. You seem feverish.
the question was asked in the context of being related to covid. TSA is not. The compass reduction announcements came before we knew covid existed.

You already knew that though.

MqWhistleblower
03-14-2020, 08:47 AM
GoJet is in talks with their union to furlough pilots if they don’t rerun their bid

6ix9ineYearFlow
03-14-2020, 08:52 AM
TSH is circling the drain. It’s just a matter of time before 20x Compass operated ERJ-175s end up on Envoy property.

Cyio
03-14-2020, 10:14 AM
My point and lets be honest you know this, was in regards to Covid. Both of those companies had draw downs announced over a month ago.

Paid2fly
03-14-2020, 07:24 PM
This morning I furloughed some of this panic and negativity into the DFW sewer system after breakfast and coffee. Does that count?

Sure, why not?