Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

popcopy
03-14-2020, 12:58 PM
Flying today, I realized how the checklist I was handling is nothing but a germ magnet. I advocate every pilot throw them in the gray bag at once. Delta CPOs need to make available individual checklists available for all types, in each base. Or can we print off checklists to carry with us?

Also, passing through ATL CPO today there were ZERO hand sanitizer wipes available ďout frontĒ by the computers. Iím not based in ATL, so maybe the stash is somewhere secret, but there should be a barrel of them at the ENTRANCE to the CPO. And the ONE sanitizer bottle I found in the entire public use area was bone dry. ó Whatís the actual *******?!

Some serious ball dropping happening.

CX500T
03-14-2020, 01:02 PM
Had to go to the CPO Admin to get wipes.

Have to call the duty pilot after hours in JFK.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

DontGetHooked
03-14-2020, 01:04 PM
Aren't the checklists on your iPad?

Scoop
03-14-2020, 01:12 PM
OK, but what about the throttles, switches knobs, and if you are on the 737 the geared levers, cranks, Johnson rods, pulleys, tackles, pull bars etc?

Scoop :)

popcopy
03-14-2020, 01:16 PM
OK, but what about the throttles, switches knobs, and if you are on the 737 the geared levers, cranks, Johnson rods, pulleys, tackles, pull bars etc?

Ive seen germ-a-phob pilots sanitize controls and switches when there isnít a virus pandemic. But iíve never seen a pilot wipe down his checklist (most of which are delaminating and full of crevices and cracks where pesky germs can camp out.) Itís just not in our nature to sanitize the checklist. I didnít do a checklist sanitizing ritual this morning even though i wiped down ever other switch and button. Weíre creatures of habit, and the checklist is being overlooked. I made this error today and Iíll bet a good number of yíall did too. Hence my concern.

sourdough44
03-14-2020, 01:23 PM
If your partner doesnít have Covid-19, no worries. What about walking through the airport? The cockpit doorknob, or just breathing?

If it comes a calling, itíll find you.

Planetrain
03-14-2020, 01:27 PM
Before throwing away the checklists and throttles, see if you can just borrow a pair of gloves from the TSA.

Iceberg
03-14-2020, 01:35 PM
Wipe the o2 mask and wear it. Canít touch your face then.

Hank Kingsley
03-14-2020, 01:38 PM
Try violet leaf oil on the anus, there's an Iranian cleric that says it works.

Dal808n
03-14-2020, 01:50 PM
That entire cockpit is disgusting. Our company does absolutely nothing to maintain it; it falls on us. That Oxygen mask too. Yes, you can wipe the actual mask, but what about the tubing? I get sick every time I don that thing and breathe the cesspool of germs emanating from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TED74
03-14-2020, 01:57 PM
Good time for the FAA to invoke ICAO O2 mask guidance not to require it below FL410.

forgot to bid
03-14-2020, 02:18 PM
Good time for the FAA to invoke ICAO O2 mask guidance not to require it below FL410.

I was about to write that.

unless you want quarantine time to get a away from the crazies.

C17B74
03-14-2020, 02:33 PM
Just curious as a box car driver. I will admit I forget to wipe down the handheld while wiping down the rest of my nest, good advice!

Just curious as a Box Hauler, we have ziplocks with Purell Wipes on board and N95 masks which may/may not work anyway and probably better used for those who have the virus to prevent further contamination. (I donít claim to know a darn thing) Masks are really for (false sense of security) when we have ground crews in various nations coming on board to clean, food prep and perform other required functions even though they wear masks and gloves for the most part. Normally 70% alcohol content wipes were recommended as weíve seen; however, as a bored long haul guy I read the back of the Purell wipes and it indicates 62% alcohol content, hmmmm...(CDC said 60%, just being cleaner is better) Well, at least we have wipes so I need to shut my trap.

As Pax carriers, do any of you up front wear masks coming on board, leaving your work area, lav breaks, etc.? Just another curious George since yaíll carry living germ carriers in greater numbers. Stateside airports donít seem to have many folks wearing masks in the terminals. Not a one on board an aircraft I was on a couple of days ago. (30 or so Pax on a 100+ seat aircraft) I timed the exit of pax - a mere 40 seconds, crazy times.

Note: I carry Hand Sanitizer, antibacterial agent wipes and a couple of form fit masks in case I get stuck somewhere not so good. Overkill, perhaps- but no one can take better care of you and your crew than you. Aircraft are probably the cleanest they have been since their production :)

Viking busdvr
03-14-2020, 02:36 PM
Just curious as a box car driver. I will admit I forget to wipe down the handheld while wiping down the rest of my nest, good advice!

Just curious as a Box Hauler, we have ziplocks with Purell Wipes on board and N95 masks which may/may not work anyway and probably better used for those who have the virus to prevent further contamination. (I donít claim to know a darn thing) Masks are really for (false sense of security) when we have ground crews in various nations coming on board to clean, food prep and perform other required functions even though they wear masks and gloves for the most part. Normally 70% alcohol content wipes were recommended as weíve seen; however, as a bored long haul guy I read the back of the Purell wipes and it indicates 62% alcohol content, hmmmm...(CDC said 60%, just being cleaner is better) Well, at least we have wipes so I need to shut my trap.

As Pax carriers, do any of you up front wear masks coming on board, leaving your work area, lav breaks, etc.? Just another curious George since yaíll carry living germ carriers in greater numbers. Stateside airports donít seem to have many folks wearing masks in the terminals. Not a one on board an aircraft I was on a couple of days ago. (30 or so Pax on a 100+ seat aircraft) I timed the exit of pax - a mere 40 seconds, crazy times.

Note: I carry Hand Sanitizer, antibacterial agent wipes and a couple of form fit masks in case I get stuck somewhere not so good. Overkill, perhaps- but no one can take better care of you and your crew than you. Aircraft are probably the cleanest they have been since their production :)

yeah....no..... Letís not scare away the few remaining customers that we have...:rolleyes:

SonicFlyer
03-14-2020, 02:47 PM
That entire cockpit is disgusting. Don't you mean "flight deck?" :cool:

slowyourroll
03-14-2020, 03:02 PM
Not suprising to me that supplies are being kept in the CPO, my wife has to lock up the stuff on her hospital ward because people are taking it home.

Meow1215
03-14-2020, 03:04 PM
Delta already has a solution - the xerox copy of the DL checklist at 9E comes in pad of paper thatís not laminated. When the paper is worn or otherwise unacceptable, rip another one off the pad and start folding.

Gunfighter
03-14-2020, 03:07 PM
Don't you mean "flight deck?" :cool:
Pretty sure he meant cockpit. Some prefer the term box office, although I've never flown a plane with a box office voice recorder.

overqualified52
03-14-2020, 04:11 PM

Hey, good thing we arenít flying the old jets with FE panels and less automation . There would be twice as many Buttons, switches , knobs and gauges to wipe . Should we just show up in an Apollo Astronaut Suit?

aa73
03-14-2020, 04:52 PM
AA has had personal pilot checklists for decades, much to the ridicule of every other airline pilot group out there.
But Iím sure we give it right back up when we flip the tabs on the mechanical checklist :D

ZeroTT
03-14-2020, 05:28 PM
Hand hygiene is the key item for diarrheal diseases. If somebody else doesnít wash their hands then you can end up putting their poop in your mouth. Wash your hands and donít eat poop,Go team.

Covid is spread by people breathing. They breathe it out you can breathe it in. You can also get it on your hand and put it in your mouth. But even quadruple amputees can get covid without any trouble. Wiping stuff down is smart, but it is hardly sufficient.

sailingfun
03-14-2020, 05:36 PM
I canít believe anyone uses the airbus supplied headsets. The mics have got to be living Petri dishes.

StartngOvr
03-14-2020, 05:47 PM
I canít believe anyone uses the airbus supplied headsets. The mics have got to be living Petri dishes.

I donít even like touching them to get them out of my way and plug my own headset in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RAH RAH REE
03-14-2020, 06:24 PM
220 pilot here, what's a paper checklist?

What I wonder is if guys are still using the ship headsets.

tlewis95
03-14-2020, 06:26 PM
220 pilot here, what's a paper checklist?

What I wonder is if guys are still using the ship headsets.

You beat me by 30 seconds regarding the 220 checklists! I never do use the ship headsets but this week I haven't found a single one plugged in which leads me to believe that people that normally use them aren't. I am ok with that because I don't have to touch them to plug mine in.

Jaww
03-14-2020, 08:44 PM
You beat me by 30 seconds regarding the 220 checklists! I never do use the ship headsets but this week I haven't found a single one plugged in which leads me to believe that people that normally use them aren't. I am ok with that because I don't have to touch them to plug mine in.

I have anecdotally noticed the same thing.

DARR31
03-14-2020, 09:22 PM
Don't you mean "flight deck?" :cool:

Nope, he had it right the first time PC police.

As for the checklist or anything else, just clean it off. I do every flight. BTW The screens on the 737 are not touch screens like your iPad. Incredible how many people touch those screens and the other gauges!

crewdawg
03-15-2020, 03:56 AM

I donít even like touching them to get them out of my way and plug my own headset in.

Like anything else, wipe them down good with alcohol wipes and you've likely killed 99% of the germs on it. At that point it's probably way more clean than touching a door handle, elevator button, computers in ops, etc... People don't bat an eye at laying down in an ops lounge chair without ever wiping down the chair that everyone and their brother has laid their head. :rolleyes:

popcopy
03-15-2020, 05:44 AM
Like anything else, wipe them down good with alcohol wipes and you've likely killed 99% of the germs on it. At that point it's probably way more clean than touching a door handle, elevator button, computers in ops, etc... People don't bat an eye at laying down in an ops lounge chair without ever wiping down the chair that everyone and their brother has laid their head. :rolleyes:

That's a lot easier said than done when there are ZERO wipes available in the CPO.

ďOur first priority on EVERY flight is the SAFETY of our passengers and crew....Ē :rolleyes: Bull-Hunky!

I donít feel safe going to work anymore.

crewdawg
03-15-2020, 05:59 AM
That's a lot easier said than done when there are ZERO wipes available in the CPO.

When I stopped going to ops before flights I just started buying my own wipes (do the same with ear plugs). Usually found them for less than 10 cents per wipe....of course they're gouging prices now or they're sold out. Still have plenty to get me by for quite a while.

I donít feel safe going to work anymore.

If we're in relatively good health, we likely have nothing to worry about. I have no issue going to work right now, I just will refrain from visiting my parents or grand parents for the time being.

notEnuf
03-15-2020, 06:07 AM
When I stopped going to ops before flights I just started buying my own wipes (do the same with ear plugs). Usually found them for less than 10 cents per wipe....of course they're gouging prices now or they're sold out. Still have plenty to get me by for quite a while.

If we're in relatively good health, we likely have nothing to worry about. I have no issue going to work right now, I just will refrain from visiting my parents or grand parents for the time being.

...or any trips to FL.

deltabound
03-15-2020, 07:24 AM
Company relief to use many more off the shelf wipes for the cockpit in the latest updates. Itís a specific list, but thereís plenty of options on it.

popcopy
03-15-2020, 09:52 AM

Youre not accounting for the germination period of this virus. (Estimates of a 4-14 days germination period) So, You may already have it and be spreading it before you start showing symptoms. This causes the exponential growth. Thatís why experts are hypothesizing as many as 500,000 in the US may already be carriers as of March 14th.

So, look at the current curve, and draw that line out 4-14 days of exponential growth, thatís where we Actually are today with the number of carriers. Itís A LOT more dangerous to be in an airplane right now than Delta wants you to think.

BobZ
03-15-2020, 10:09 AM
Youre not accounting for the germination period of this virus. (Estimates of a 4-14 days germination period) So, You may already have it and be spreading it before you start showing symptoms. This causes the exponential growth. Thatís why experts are hypothesizing as many as 500,000 in the US may already be carriers as of March 14th.

So, look at the current curve, and draw that line out 4-14 days of exponential growth, thatís where we Actually are today with the number of carriers. Itís A LOT more dangerous to be in an airplane right now than Delta wants you to think.

Well...the state of ohio is saying 100k in their state alone based on sampling.

Right now these numbers are darts on the board.

The NY gov this morning explained the problem at hand pretty well. Its not a 'curve'...its a wave.

And the objective now is to not have the wave break at a level that overwhelms the health care capacity to absorb the maybe 5-15% of cases that will require ICU beds.

Imho this will be a flu experience for most....its just they want to avoid a dantes inferno scene if ther are not enough ICU beds for the critically impacted.

Phins2right
03-15-2020, 12:10 PM

Plants germinate. Not viruses. A virus incubates.
So many things wrong with what you wrote, I'll just stop at that.

popcopy
03-15-2020, 12:13 PM
Plants germinate. Not viruses. A virus incubates.
So many things wrong with what you wrote, I'll just stop at that.

Okay, I did use the wrong word. Sorry. I meant to say Incubation period.

You wanna pick up my trips then?

Phins2right
03-15-2020, 08:14 PM
Okay, I did use the wrong word. Sorry. I meant to say Incubation period.

You wanna pick up my trips then?
Nah, thanks for the offer. Imma be going after those SILs. Work on my second business. After all, come June we won't have any jobs left in the airline industry - so I've been told on APC.