Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Self-quarantine

Hoosier Daddy
03-16-2020, 08:07 AM
Not to add to the hysteria on APC, but this question has been floating around my house:

Our job requires constant and repeated exposure to the environments where Covid-19 could be transmitted and our risk of contracting this is higher than, say, an office worker. Also, people may be asymptomatic for days or weeks, and possibly never show symptoms but still be contagious.

We have older people close to us, and I've been staying away from them for 4-5 days after I return from a trip. I can see getting into a fly/self-quarantine loop where I'd never see my parents again.

We obviously can't work from home. So how are you balancing the risk of flying vs being potentially contagious forever?

freezingflyboy
03-16-2020, 08:10 AM
I'm starting to think the cratering global economy is going to take care of this problem for us.

gloopy
03-16-2020, 08:11 AM
Not to add to the hysteria on APC, but this question has been floating around my house:

Our job requires constant and repeated exposure to the environments where Covid-19 could be transmitted and our risk of contracting this is higher than, say, an office worker. Also, people may be asymptomatic for days or weeks, and possibly never show symptoms but still be contagious.

We have older people close to us, and I've been staying away from them for 4-5 days after I return from a trip. I can see getting into a fly/self-quarantine loop where I'd never see my parents again.

We obviously can't work from home. So how are you balancing the risk of flying vs being potentially contagious forever?

Keep doing what you're doing for a while. Its not a big deal and its easy to do. It won't last forever.

wankel7
03-16-2020, 08:14 AM
Put a RV in your driveway to stay in for a few days after you come home?

forgot to bid
03-16-2020, 08:15 AM
Put a RV in your driveway to stay in for a few days after you come home?

Shes a bute clark.

Shi##er is full.

BobZ
03-16-2020, 08:17 AM
Ive moved to a hotel due to otherwise what would be close contact with elderly parent.

Do what you think is best.

TurbineBlade
03-16-2020, 08:19 AM
Got a condo on the beach. Iím gonna live here until all this crap blows over. My wife works from home, one son in the Marines, and another in high school. As long as Iím working with all this crap around....Iím gonna live it up on the beach while my wife slaves away at home taking care of the boy, etc. I figure 6 months is good. May have a permanent tan by then.

casual observer
03-16-2020, 08:27 AM
The Chinese government could do whatever it wanted. It locked people into their apartments and beat people that did not comply with their directives. It seems like it took them a couple of months to get a handle on it.

It will be interesting to watch the Italians, because their culture is more like ours.

They have made a big deal about closing down school where we are, but all the kids decided it's just early spring break. I have never seen so many people out.

I think we have a choice. Half measures and enduring social, healthcare and economic pain or basically a marshal law crackdown for a month or two.

I believe we will have to basically shut Delta down by the end of the week. I don't see how you justify travel with many people in a closed space. It is basically the recipe for virus spread.

Interesting times.

notEnuf
03-16-2020, 08:33 AM
Buying another Xbox and 4K, I'll be in the basement.

forgot to bid
03-16-2020, 08:47 AM
The Chinese government could do whatever it wanted. It locked people into their apartments and beat people that did not comply with their directives. It seems like it took them a couple of months to get a handle on it.

It will be interesting to watch the Italians, because their culture is more like ours.

They have made a big deal about closing down school where we are, but all the kids decided it's just early spring break. I have never seen so many people out.

I think we have a choice. Half measures and enduring social, healthcare and economic pain or basically a marshal law crackdown for a month or two.

I believe we will have to basically shut Delta down by the end of the week. I don't see how you justify travel with many people in a closed space. It is basically the recipe for virus spread.

Interesting times.

I think Italians have 25% elderly and supposedly they live with their children. Who live with their children. And they all smoke. Including the children.

we pack ours away in a nursing home.

I think a North Korea is 0. Every once in a while it goes up to 1. Then back to 0.

Vincent Chase
03-16-2020, 12:17 PM
Ive moved to a hotel due to otherwise what would be close contact with elderly parent.

Do what you think is best.
You're not elderly yourself?!!!

deltabound
03-16-2020, 12:36 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/15/business/economy/coronavirus-worker-risk.html

Good chart up at the NYT that lays out which professions are most at risk for infection. (behind a paywall, but easily circumvented with a "private" setting on most browsers)

About what you'd expect: Dentists, paramedics, flight attendants, police, nurses....all are on the front lines.

Pilots are in another, less risky bracket. Less relative exposure to disease, but we are in close proximity to others.

Honestly, the biggest risk of getting this is probably interacting with the FA's. I've already flown with numerous ones who "were sick" or "just getting past a cold." A significant portion of them aren't stepping down for this, and obviously, not getting tested or self-quarantining. My guess is that due to $$$, most really can't afford extended downtime for illness.

Only going to get worse as their hours dry up, as well.

BobZ
03-16-2020, 12:39 PM
You're not elderly yourself?!!!

I am.

But already disclosed i identify as a 30 yr old triathlete. Oh and btw my preferred pronouns are he him you guy man dude and El Jefe'. :)