Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Book recommendations

Hank Kingsley
03-18-2020, 04:40 PM
A few years ago, we had a thread recommending books. Any chance trying it again. Just a book, no commentary regarding it's merits. No opinions. Just a title. Got some time on our hands. Pretend your sitting in the cockpit and you're talking to another pilot.

I just finished Black Thursday.

BNUT
03-18-2020, 04:42 PM
The Dog Stars

Hank Kingsley
03-18-2020, 04:42 PM
The Dog Stars
Perfect, follow that example and thanks.

Former OH
03-18-2020, 04:43 PM
Say Nothing

CX500T
03-18-2020, 04:46 PM
The Perfect Machine

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

velosnow
03-18-2020, 04:49 PM
The Overstory

CBreezy
03-18-2020, 04:54 PM
Station 11

at6d
03-18-2020, 04:54 PM
I tend to favor military history...

American Sniper
Lone Survivor

Army at Dawn
Day of Battle (both excellent history)

Fighter Pilot
Spitfires, Thunderbolts and Warm Beer
All the Way to Berlin
Unbroken

Stuka Pilot
Panzer Leader

Band of Brothers
Beyond Band of Brothers
Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends

Night

30 Seconds over Tokyo

With the Old Breed

BobZ
03-18-2020, 05:03 PM
The Predatory Female.

UGBSM
03-18-2020, 05:04 PM
Mere Christianity
C.S. Lewis

Hank Kingsley
03-18-2020, 05:24 PM
Educated

Where the Crawdads Sing

Fred Driver
03-18-2020, 05:29 PM
Great WW II event. Short read but will remind you of the great people that came before you.

4fans
03-18-2020, 05:35 PM
Wool by Hugh Howey. It’s post apocalyptic so fitting for the situation.

NoDeskJob
03-18-2020, 05:36 PM
World war Z.

its 1000 times better than the movie. The movie shares the same title, that’s about it.

Cicada
03-18-2020, 05:37 PM
Educated

Where the Crawdads Sing

Good one,

Flying Drunk, by Joe Balzer

True story of a NWA Pilot arrested along with the rest of his crew for flying intoxicated. After revocation of all certificates and a year in jail, the author re acquires all certificates and is ultimately re employed as a pilot for American Airlines. Currently LAX Captain. True story.

To one of the finest men I have ever know, Captain Cecil Ewell, May you Rest In Peace. Cecil Ewell was a man of Faith. He was a man of courage. He was a man of honesty. He was a man of great wisdom. Many men had the opportunity to help me in a time of great need, but Captain Ewell was the man who’s actions and courage changed my life. Not a single major airline would even send me a postcard reply to my applications. I walked into his office in December 1998, playing the last card I had in my hand. Nobody in the majors was ever going to hire me to fly. As I walked into his office, He was signing letters to personally congratulate each and every new hire pilot, welcoming them to AMERICAN Airlines. I told him I was a convicted felon, that I had been fired from a major airline, lost all of my licenses through emergency revocation, and spent 5 years in the penal system including a year in prison. I told him “I had to attach my heart to this application because nobody else would even read it” With that he put his pen down, looked up at me, and asked me to take a seat. He was already late for a meeting at headquarters, but he didn’t care. I told him my story. He said to me, “You haven’t done anything all the rest of us haven’t done, you just got caught.” I almost fell out of the chair. He told me later that he was almost falling out of his. He told me , as he drew a large circle on his desk with his finger, “you know Joe, some times you make a mistake in life, and things go full circle, and you get back to a point where someone is willing to give you a second chance”. Having been through a lot of hell the previous 9 years, emotions in that moment are impossible to describe. I knew I was in the presence of a very special man. He set me up for an interview with as he put it, “no special treatment”. “Just go down there and do a good job, it will be up to the board”. I was totally flabbergasted. He said to me, “You are my hero, you never gave up on your dream”. The next week after the interview, I went back in to thank him. He told me the board was unanimous and gave the thumbs up to hire me. Only one catch. This honest man told me he had to take it to his boss, Mr. Bob Baker, the man who was running AMERICAN Airlines. A few days later I received a call from Renee Hair, knowing I was rejected by American (because Cecil always made the calls himself) my heart sank, and I again felt the lead in my stomach and the rejection I had experienced so many times before. Renee apologized to me and said Captain Ewell was out of the office, and he didn’t want to keep me in limbo over the Christmas holiday, and wanted to know if I was still interested in flying for American? My knees buckled and I hit the floor. The rest is history. After my first line trip and completing OE, Mr. Baker called me at home and welcomed me to American Airlines. To quote Cecil again, he told me, “To hell with the naysayers!!!!!” I am a civilian pilot. I told Cecil a few weeks later at our class indock that I had a squadron of civilian pilots who I would love to recommend for hire. One of them didn’t even have a college degree (happens to be one of the smartest guys and best pilots I’ve ever known) . Cecil hired them all. I have been blessed to fly with many fine men. Captain Cecil Ewell is in a class of his own. God Bless you Cecil, your wonderful wife Rhoda, your fine son and your grandchildren. You will be sorely missed. Captain Joe Balzer LAX

VinnLee200
03-18-2020, 05:44 PM
Raven Rock

GogglesPisano
03-18-2020, 05:55 PM
“Sapiens”
”Better Angels”

TED74
03-18-2020, 06:02 PM
All the Light we Cannot See

Talking to Strangers

Born a Crime

12 Patients

When Breath Becomes Air

Water for Elephants

Unbroken

Cryptonomicon

Rocket Men

ERflyer
03-18-2020, 06:07 PM
Without You There Is No Us
(An inside look into North Korea written by a Korean-American teacher who lived there)

Sons and Soldiers
(Jews who escaped the Nazis and returned with the US Army as translators)

The Hare With the Amber Eyes
(A wealthy family’s history - Vienna, Paris, fleeing Hitler)

In the Garden of the Beasts
(US Ambassador to Germany and his family in Berlin during Hitler’s rise. His daughter dated the head of the Gestapo,
explains Night of the Long Knives, and more.)

Kaputt
(An inside look of the Eastern Front)

Midnight In Chernobyl: The Inside Story of the World’s Greatest Nuclear Disaster
(Scariest thing I’ve read in awhile.)

Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Health and Violence
(Self explanatory. Not good.)

captkdobbs
03-18-2020, 06:18 PM
Vince Flynn's 'Mitch Rapp' books. "Transfer of Power" introduces the character.

"Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, Sexy, and Smart—Until You're 80 and Beyond" by Chris Crowley and Harry Lodge, MD

Bainite
03-18-2020, 06:20 PM
The Body Keeps the Score
Shooting Ghosts

Denny Crane
03-18-2020, 06:37 PM
Fantasy: All of these books are the first in their respective series. All very good.

The Way of Kings..........Brandon Sanderson

The Eye of the World..........Robert Jordan

The Name of the Wind.................Patrick Rothfuss

Denny

cougar
03-18-2020, 06:38 PM
Hiking with Nietzsche: On Becoming Who You Are

John Kaag

TripleSpool
03-18-2020, 06:40 PM
The Dog Stars

what a great and relevant recommendation.

iaflyer
03-18-2020, 06:46 PM
The Cannibal Queen - by Stephen Coonts

Nice story that he wrote about him flying a Stearman all over the United States one summer. Simple, pure flying.

Cogf16
03-18-2020, 06:49 PM
Vince Flynn's 'Mitch Rapp' books. "Transfer of Power" introduces the character.

"Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, Sexy, and Smart—Until You're 80 and Beyond" by Chris Crowley and Harry Lodge, MD
Beat me to it about Flynn's books. I'd start with the first chronolgical book "American Assassin" Some of the best fiction I've ever read

notEnuf
03-18-2020, 07:01 PM
B-17s Over Berlin: Personal Stories from the 95th Bomb Group (Memories of War)

Han Solo
03-18-2020, 08:35 PM
Tigana

I’ve been a sci-fantasy fan for over 30 years and Guy Gavriel Kay is the best author out there. If fantasy is your thing, he’s got a lot more than just that one title. I keep a word document that is over 5 single spaced pages long of the books I’ve read since HS so if you like this one I’ve got a lot more recommendations from where that came from.

GliderCFI
03-18-2020, 08:48 PM
Second for the Dog Stars. Absolutely beautifully written. As if suddenly everything every literature teacher I ever had made sense when I read it. Excellent.

Humboldt
03-18-2020, 08:49 PM
“In the Garden of Beasts”

Ambassador to Germany in the 1930’s story.

The new guy
03-18-2020, 08:55 PM
A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II

Adam Makos and Larry Alexander

Broncos
03-18-2020, 09:50 PM
The Boys in the Boat

N925FU
03-19-2020, 03:05 AM
Race of Aces

gliderguider
03-19-2020, 03:14 AM
Another Up vote for the Dog Stars, I was actually telling the guy I was flying my last trip with about it. Stumbled across a cheap paperback at Oshkosh; Termite Hill by Tom Wilson. It may be hard to find but it turned out to be an excellent read, historical fiction centered around F-105’s in Southeast Asia. I liked it so much I read the second book in the series Lucky’s Bridge which my library tracked down, and plan to read the third and finish out the series.

Some other really good ones that come to mind are Danger’s Hour about the Kamikazes that hit USS Bunker Hill, does a good job explaining both sides. Also someone else mentioned it, A Higher Call about the German pilot that let a crippled B-17 fly on was real good too. The same author wrote Devotion which gave a great overview of Korea while focusing on the Corsair pilots, and I picked up his newest book Spearhead at Costco but haven’t gotten to it yet but look forward to.

buckleyboy
03-19-2020, 03:30 AM
Beat me to it about Flynn's books. I'd start with the first chronolgical book "American Assassin" Some of the best fiction I've ever read
if you like Flynn and/or Thor, check out Jack Carr. The Terminal List and True Believer, in that order. A third book is due out next month.

PotatoChip
03-19-2020, 03:33 AM
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger

LeineLodge
03-19-2020, 04:00 AM
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet

Al Czervik
03-19-2020, 04:02 AM
Charm School -Nelson DeMille

LeineLodge
03-19-2020, 04:02 AM
Charm School -Nelson DeMille

+1......filler

MaxQ
03-19-2020, 04:36 AM
“Sapiens”
”Better Angels”
haven’t read “better angels”, but I agree wholeheartedly on “Sapiens”...a good read that encourages some time reflecting on his takes

crewdawg
03-19-2020, 05:00 AM
- American Patriot by Coram (Col Bud Day may be one of the finest Americans ever).

- One Square Mile of Hell by Wukovitz

- My Secret War by Drury​​​​​​

- Mitch Rapp series

- Malcom Gladwell books

- Boys in the Boat

waldo135
03-19-2020, 05:44 AM
A Higher Call - book about WW2 bomber pilot and German fighter pilot

emersonbiguns
03-19-2020, 06:06 AM
Boy (auto bio on the english school system)
Going Solo (auto bio on his aviation career in Africa WWII)
-by Roald Dahl

Fleet at Flood Tide

wags3539
03-19-2020, 06:29 AM
Lucky 666: The Impossible Mission

Kjazz130
03-19-2020, 07:27 AM
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet

All the Ken Follet books are great.

velosnow
03-19-2020, 07:27 AM
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

Kjazz130
03-19-2020, 07:29 AM
Run the mile you are in.

Thruster
03-19-2020, 07:32 AM
A Higher Call - book about WW2 bomber pilot and German fighter pilot

Second this. Great book. Also Boys in the Boat was excellent!

Great thread. Keep the positivity coming!

gloopy
03-19-2020, 07:46 AM
Economics In One Lesson - Short easy read and probably the single best book on economics ever written.

Fiat Money Inflation in France - Written around a century ago covering events and policy prior to that. Reads like a current WSJ article. Free download available on mises.org I think. Suprisingly easy read too.

One Second After - A military historian takes the federal DoD/Congressional EMP commission report (hardly a "conspiracy theory" when its 100% government recognized and validated) and writes a novel about his small town going through the government report as a blueprint for what the US government has already modeled.

Charlie Wilson't War - the movie was insulting to the bredth and depth of the book. I know its fashionable to say that about everything, but for this book its especially true.

World War Z - someone above mentioned that and they are right about the movie; its irrelevant and not even related to the book. Cool thing about the book is that its a compillation of numerous shorter stories from multipile perspectives of the same event. Also keep in mind that the author has been invited numerous times to speak at military war colleges etc. Generals and admirals sit down and actually listen to him.

gliderguider
03-19-2020, 09:00 AM
Rocketmen about Apollo 8 was also a very good read.

WhiskeyDelta
03-19-2020, 09:08 AM
Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose.

Awesome recount of the Lewis and Clark expedition.

GogglesPisano
03-19-2020, 09:14 AM

Anything by Ambrose (or McCullough.)

CoefficientX
03-19-2020, 09:15 AM
Riding Rockets
-Former shuttle astronauts account of his experiences at NASA.

Shadow Divers
-Discovery of a sunken German U boat off the coast of New Jersey and the years long deadly quest to find out the name and history of the sub.

Distant Fires by Scott Anderson
-Quick read. True story written by a former and sadly now deceased ANG F16 pilot who paddled a canoe from Duluth Minnesota to Hudson’s Bay with a buddy one summer during college.

Bluto
03-19-2020, 09:16 AM
Fantasy: All of these books are the first in their respective series. All very good.

The Way of Kings..........Brandon Sanderson

The Eye of the World..........Robert Jordan

The Name of the Wind.................Patrick Rothfuss

Denny
Awesome list! But beware anyone who reads Name of the Wind, the final book in the trilogy is now years behind schedule... either Rothfuss forgot what he was doing or he's toying with us in a very, very high stakes long con. Either way, the first two books are worth it, even without the conclusion.

Bluto
03-19-2020, 09:21 AM
Red Rising by Pierce Brown

gliderguider
03-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Anything by Ambrose (or McCullough.)

Have to disagree. Wild Blue by Ambrose was garbage.

BobZ
03-19-2020, 09:26 AM
Last stand of the tin can sailors. If you are looking for WW2 historical narratives.

velosnow
03-19-2020, 09:45 AM

That one has been sitting on the shelf for awhile waiting for a good opportunity, this might be it.

wags3539
03-19-2020, 09:47 AM
Last stand of the tin can sailors. If you are looking for WW2 historical narratives.

I've been meaning to get that book. If you haven't read Neptune's Inferno, also written by James Hornfisher, I would recommend that as well.

PotatoChip
03-19-2020, 10:02 AM

Anything by Bill Bryson.
My favorite author.

LumberJack
03-19-2020, 10:22 AM
Anything by Bill Bryson.
My favorite author.

A Walk in the Woods (audiobook especially) - Bill Bryson

Denny Crane
03-19-2020, 10:30 AM
Anything by David Baldacci is good too. I'd start with the Camel Club series.

Denny

Hixdog
03-19-2020, 10:47 AM
For a fun read with a Florida tilt, The Carl Hiaasen Books are good. Bad Monkey and then Razor Girl are two of his recent books.

crewdawg
03-19-2020, 10:49 AM
Distant Fires by Scott Anderson
-Quick read. True story written by a former and sadly now deceased ANG F16 pilot who paddled a canoe from Duluth Minnesota to Hudson’s Bay with a buddy one summer during college.

Another good one by Scott Anderson is Unknown Rider.

FIIGMO
03-19-2020, 11:27 AM

Denny

Denny I recommend “freedoms forge” by Author Herman.... good non-fiction about the war powers act in the late 30’s. Back when leadership a
was real and the buck stopped with the POTUS.

Falcon20
03-19-2020, 11:45 AM

Denny

+1 on Baldacci just make sure you start at the beginning of a series

“The Winner” is a great stand alone by him.

The Martian

Ready Player One

both better than their movies were.

deltabound
03-19-2020, 11:46 AM
The Death of the West - Oswald Spengler (org pub 1918, so basically free on a kindle)

Age of Surveillance Capitalism - Shosana Zuboff

And Forgive Them their Debts; Lending, Foreclosure and Redemption from Bronze Age Finance to the Jubilee Year - Michael Hudson (fascinating look at how societies have managed debts over the centuries)

Amusing Ourselves to Death : Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business - Neil Postman (pub 1985, highly prescient)

Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst - Robert M. Sapolsky

The Way of the Knife (The CIA, A Secret Army, And a War At the Ends of the Earth) - Mark Mazzetti

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety - Eric Schlosser

Bad Blood - Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup - John Carreyrou

GunshipGuy
03-19-2020, 12:36 PM

Beat me to it. This ^^^^!

And if you like that book you'll also likely enjoy Guns, Germs & Steel

I'll also add Outliers to the list.

TripleSpool
03-19-2020, 12:49 PM
STALIN by Stephen Kotkin

TransWorld
03-19-2020, 01:25 PM
North Star Over My Shoulder: A Flying Life by Bob Buck.

Great Read. Good writer. Bob started on DC-2 and DC-3 with TWA. Retired as a 747 CA. Along the way, Chief Pilot. If I recall, he succeeded Charles Lindbergh.

From Amazon: Captain Robert N. Buck retired from TWA after having flown well over two thousand Atlantic crossings and thirty-seven years of service as chief pilot and director of thunderstorm research. During World War II he was engaged in weather research for the U.S. Air Corps, for which he was awarded, as a civilian, the Air Medal by President Harry Truman. More recently, Buck has worked with the International Civil Aviation Organization -- the UN's body for aviation -- to develop a new plan of world airspace.
In North Star over My Shoulder, Bob Buck tells of a life spent up and over the clouds, and of the wonderful places and marvelous people who have been a part of that life. He captures the feel, taste, and smell of flying's great early era -- how the people lived, what they did and felt, and what it was really like to be a part of the world as it grew smaller and smaller. A terrific storyteller and a fascinating man, Bob Buck has turned his well-lived life into a delightful memoir for anyone who remembers when there really was something special in the air.

captkdobbs
03-19-2020, 01:48 PM
+1 on Baldacci just make sure you start at the beginning of a series

“The Winner” is a great stand alone by him.

The Martian

Ready Player One

both better than their movies were.
Second on 'The Martian' and 'Ready Player One'. Both are WAY better than their respective movies.

StartngOvr
03-19-2020, 02:46 PM
“In the Garden of Beasts”

Ambassador to Germany in the 1930’s story.

Excellent book, as are all of the Erik Larson titles I've read so far. "Issac's Storm" was fabulous. Historical fiction about the 1900 Galveston hurricane which killed 10,000.

StartngOvr
03-19-2020, 02:50 PM

"I'm a Stranger Here Myself" - also by Bill Bryson. Use caution with this one. When I read it, I was literally laughing out loud. Can't read it in public without getting some strange looks!

MaxQ
03-19-2020, 03:56 PM
The Death of the West - Oswald Spengler (org pub 1918, so basically free on a kindle)

Age of Surveillance Capitalism - Shosana Zuboff

And Forgive Them their Debts; Lending, Foreclosure and Redemption from Bronze Age Finance to the Jubilee Year - Michael Hudson (fascinating look at how societies have managed debts over the centuries)

Amusing Ourselves to Death : Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business - Neil Postman (pub 1985, highly prescient)

Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst - Robert M. Sapolsky

The Way of the Knife (The CIA, A Secret Army, And a War At the Ends of the Earth) - Mark Mazzetti

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety - Eric Schlosser

Bad Blood - Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup - John Carreyrou

Great list.
Haven't read each one, but those I have are great.
Anything by M. Hudson

sailingfun
03-19-2020, 04:04 PM
"I'm a Stranger Here Myself" - also by Bill Bryson. Use caution with this one. When I read it, I was literally laughing out loud. Can't read it in public without getting some strange looks!

Anything by Bill Bryson is excellent. If you like him also consider McCarthy’s Pub by Pete McCarthy. A story about a mans journey to have a pint in every bar named McCarthy’s in Ireland. Starts a bit slow but becomes one of the funniest books I ever read!

crewdawg
03-19-2020, 05:11 PM
-Fate is the Hunter - If it hasn't been said already, I can't believe it. I've read it three times...A must read for any pilot.

-ChickenHawk - Helo pilots in Vietnam

-Flying Through Midnight - C-123 pilot doing the Candlestick mission in Vietnam

-I'll second anything by Bill Bryson...great stuff.

If you're interested in nerding out about Pan-Am in the early days...very interesting books. You'll learn that Pan-Am got to where they did essentially because of illegal backroom deals with the government.

-The Long Way Home (Dover) - Pan Am Clipper Crew on their own to get their clipper toe NYC after WW2 starts.

-China Clipper

-Pan-Am at War

Dorn
03-19-2020, 06:06 PM
gulag archipelago
Alejsandr solzhenitsyn
if you want to truly understand what hard life is.

a world undone
G J Meyer
best WW1 book you’ll find.

enlightenment now
steven pinker
why/how we are so blessed to live in today’s times

the Righteous mind
Johnathan Haidt

discrimination and disparities
Thomas Sowell

Free to chose
Milton Friedman

power to save the wold
if you want to understand why nuclear is the key to green energy

gliderguider
03-19-2020, 06:37 PM
-Fate is the Hunter - If it hasn't been said already, I can't believe it. I've read it three times...A must read for any pilot.

-ChickenHawk - Helo pilots in Vietnam

-Flying Through Midnight - C-123 pilot doing the Candlestick mission in Vietnam

-I'll second anything by Bill Bryson...great stuff.

If you're interested in nerding out about Pan-Am in the early days...very interesting books. You'll learn that Pan-Am got to where they did essentially because of illegal backroom deals with the government.

-The Long Way Home (Dover) - Pan Am Clipper Crew on their own to get their clipper toe NYC after WW2 starts.

-China Clipper

-Pan-Am at War

Chickenhawk is excellent. Also in the PanAm genre Skygods was very good. Others that come to mind; for comedy Moondog’s Academy of the Air. The best WWII first person accounts I have read are The Wrong Stuff and Serenade to the Big Bird.

Cogf16
03-19-2020, 07:54 PM
That one has been sitting on the shelf for awhile waiting for a good opportunity, this might be it.
I'm a history guy and an Ambrose guy also, but I found this one to be a tough read. Kinda slow and lots of early 19th century manuscripts and narrative

at6d
03-19-2020, 11:05 PM
gulag archipelago
Alejsandr solzhenitsyn

Ive been wanting to read Gulag Archipelago. I think we may share a common thread.

Herkflyr
03-20-2020, 05:56 AM
Carrying the Fire by Michael Collins. Written three years after Apollo 11 (with 40th and 50th Anniversary introductions).

Very entertaining read. Collins is a gifted writer and who doesn't like a great Apollo program book, written at the time?

deltabound
03-20-2020, 06:26 AM
Ive been wanting to read Gulag Archipelago. I think we may share a common thread.

Finally listened to it on audiobooks. It’s fantastic.

gloopy
03-20-2020, 07:25 AM
gulag archipelago
Alejsandr solzhenitsyn

I thought that was an instruction manual.

We can make it work this time though, I know we can!

velosnow
03-20-2020, 07:30 AM

I've definitely LOL'd to many of his books, such a great writer!

velosnow
03-20-2020, 07:31 AM
I'm a history guy and an Ambrose guy also, but I found this one to be a tough read. Kinda slow and lots of early 19th century manuscripts and narrative
Thanks for the heads up, planning to do some SILs might be a good hammock book when it warms up.

gliderguider
03-20-2020, 08:13 AM
Carrying the Fire by Michael Collins. Written three years after Apollo 11 (with 40th and 50th Anniversary introductions).

Very entertaining read. Collins is a gifted writer and who doesn't like a great Apollo program book, written at the time?

Added this to my list. Thanks

A book I highly recommend not reading unless you do so for morbid curiosity is “Three Feet to the Left”. About a United Captain’s recent “upgrade journey growth experience.” Supposed to be a business planning motivational type book. Throws all the United furloughees under the bus while chalking up his upgrade to superior planning and decision making. Absolutely tone-deaf garbage book, that was embarrassingly bad to read.

LumberJack
04-16-2020, 09:26 PM
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

TimetoClimb
04-16-2020, 09:30 PM
Added this to my list. Thanks

A book I highly recommend not reading unless you do so for morbid curiosity is “Three Feet to the Left”. About a United Captain’s recent “upgrade journey growth experience.” Supposed to be a business planning motivational type book. Throws all the United furloughees under the bus while chalking up his upgrade to superior planning and decision making. Absolutely tone-deaf garbage book, that was embarrassingly bad to read.

I agree, I'm 4 chapters in and he won't shut up about the flirtatious banter he and his wife enjoy

BMEP100
04-16-2020, 09:34 PM
Bully of Asia: Why China's Dream Is the New Threat to World Order

dbrownie
04-17-2020, 03:26 AM
I know it's been mentioned but just finished a re-read of

Fate is the Hunter,

those old airline guys really stuck their necks out.

sailingfun
04-17-2020, 04:10 AM
The Saga of Pappy Gunn

Story of a guy who started as a navy mechanic in WW1. Learned to fly via the enlisted flight program before booted from the navy in the drawdown. Moved to the Philippines and started a airline in the thirties. Drafted into the Army Air Corps along with his airplanes as his wife and family were captured by the Japanese. Quickly rose to the rank of Colonel as he begged, borrowed, stole, rebuilt and redesigned the aircraft the army had in the pacific while flying hundreds of combat missions in many different aircraft. General Kenney commander of the Pacific AAF considered him one of the most important men in the Pacific. The Army ordered him back to the US at one point to go to flight school when they discovered he was not a rated army aviator despite thousands of hours and more combat missions than almost any other pilot. Read the book to see how it turned out!

ApachePhil
04-17-2020, 04:31 AM
CAN' HURT ME - David Goggins. A retired Navy Seal and now Ultra marathon stud.
FREAKANOMICS, SUPER FREAKANOMICS, and THINK LIKE A FREAK - Levitt & Dubner. Good series, funny, and good for critical thinking.

Milk Man
04-17-2020, 05:08 AM
Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi

Austin135
04-17-2020, 05:16 AM
The Saga of Pappy Gunn is free right now on Kindle....and you can't beat free. I haven't read that one, but there is a newer book on Pappy Gunn called Indestructible: One Man's Rescue Mission that Changed the Course of WWII by Bruning that I highly recommend. It is right up there with Boys in the Boat & Unbroken.

full of luv
04-17-2020, 05:50 AM
Maybe on Audible as it's sorta long (27 hrs) but broken into chapters on different subjects:

Memoirs or Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

First published in 1840, it catalogs the madnesses of society as cataloged in the 1800's. To a modern reader/listener, it becomes clear that although the subjects might change, humanity basically has the same reactions over time.

Crockrocket95
04-17-2020, 05:53 AM
Into Thin Air - John Krakaur
Is Paris Burning? Larry Collins
Chernobyl - Sergii Plohky
The Coldest Winter - David Halberstram
Playing Hurt - John Saunders (John U Bacon)
The Gulag Archipelago - Alexander Solsynitchen
The Demon in the Freezer - Richard Preston
Medium Raw - Anthony Bourdain
We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families (stories from Rwanda) - Philip Gourevitch
A slow death - 83 days of radiation sickness
Hells Angels - Hunter S Thompson
Gulag - Anne Applebaum

So many to list!

Dodo
04-17-2020, 06:38 AM
For those who want a good mind warp:
Just Six Numbers - Martin Rees

casual observer
04-17-2020, 06:49 AM
Undaunted Courage is a no brainer if you haven't read it.

Bill Bryson - Short History of Everything

Alas, Babylon: dystopian account of aftermath of nuclear war set in Florida in a smaller town unaffected by radiation but isolated from the rest of the war ravaged U.S. Written 50 years ago, which actually makes it better somehow. I listened on audible.

casual observer
04-17-2020, 06:53 AM
Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi

+1.

Answers a lot of questions I had just locked away at some point.

Nvrgofullretard
04-17-2020, 07:09 AM
All books by Bernard Cornwell. Particularly the Richard sharpe series. 18 books, Napoleonic war, it follows the life of a gutter born son of a ***** British private as he rises through the ranks. Avid reader here and these are probably my favorite military fiction of all time. Very very good

its basically the land version of “master and commander” series by Patrick obrian. If you haven’t read that series then giddy up for about a years worth of awesome military fiction

full of luv
04-17-2020, 07:22 AM
Undaunted Courage is a no brainer if you haven't read it.

Bill Bryson - Short History of Everything

Alas, Babylon: dystopian account of aftermath of nuclear war set in Florida in a smaller town unaffected by radiation but isolated from the rest of the war ravaged U.S. Written 50 years ago, which actually makes it better somehow. I listened on audible.

Alas Babylon was required reading for my 8th grade daughters school this fall. I was intrigued by the storyline she was telling me and I ended up reading it as well.

emersonbiguns
04-17-2020, 09:11 AM
Some other Bryson must reads...
One Summer - 1927
A series of intertwined events from that year.
Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid
Bryson's childhood memoir, LOL warning for reading in public.
The Body
A short history of nearly everything for the human body.

The Civil War: A Narrative - Shelby Foote
A three volume account of every detail of that war. 110 hours of listening in the audiobook form.

Open - Andre Agassi
His autobiography.

casual observer
04-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Alas Babylon was required reading for my 8th grade daughters school this fall. I was intrigued by the storyline she was telling me and I ended up reading it as well.

I think that's why I liked it so well. 8th grade reading level.

casual observer
04-17-2020, 01:00 PM
I'm currently listening to The Stand by Stephen King. I don't really like horror, so I have never read King, but I got it due to Covid.

I'm into it by a half dozen chapters and now I know why King is regarded as a great author.

p3flteng
04-18-2020, 06:20 AM
As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me...Josef Bauer

A story about a captured German officer at the end of WW2 that’s sent to a Siberian labor camp, escapes and walks back to Germany...like a 5 year journey if I remember!!! They made a movie out of it, but the book was way better...

“Like Unbroken and The Long Walk, an intense and remarkable tale of survival against the odds that reveals the strength of the human spirit. Translated into 15 languages! 12 million copies sold”

Onigawara
04-18-2020, 08:23 AM
A few were mentioned above, by James Hornfischer (these three are all WW2 Pacific theater, in chronological order)

Neptune's Inferno (Solomon Islands Naval engagements)

Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors (Leyte Gulf)

The Fleet at Flood Tide (Final stages of Pacific Campaign)

All 5 Stages
04-18-2020, 08:30 AM
The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain. It's a borderline short story and really neat up until the end. He died before he could finish it, so keep that in mind.

Razor
05-22-2020, 02:44 PM
Eugene Bullard, Black Expatriate inJazz-Age Paris. He was the first black military pilot.

deltabound
05-22-2020, 03:00 PM
"Ordnance Went Up Front" - Roy F Dunlap

(Bit obscure, classic WWII gun nutter PrOn)

Jaww
05-22-2020, 03:43 PM
A few were mentioned above, by James Hornfischer (these three are all WW2 Pacific theater, in chronological order)

Neptune's Inferno (Solomon Islands Naval engagements)

Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors (Leyte Gulf)

The Fleet at Flood Tide (Final stages of Pacific Campaign)

These were some of the best books I’ve ever read. If in Albany do the DE Slater destroyer tour. Fantastic to see what a Tin Can really was and it made me appreciate it even more.

Jaww
05-22-2020, 03:47 PM
I just finished reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (free with Amazon Prime on Kindle). Great read from the Native American perspective.

connollc
05-22-2020, 07:59 PM
FROZEN IN TIME - Mitchell Zuckoff - phenomenal, you will never look down at Greenland from the flightdeck the same way again

ASTORIA - Peter Stark - just, WOW

Anything already mentioned before by LARSON and BRYSON is great, IMHO

Add DEAD WAKE and DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY by Larson.

That about sums up my last five year plus foray into non-fiction, and they have all been great reads.