Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

captnwilson
03-29-2020, 08:04 AM
TLDR; shouldíve asked earlier in the year...

Last time Iíve seen an answer was 2012, and since then the industry has changed quite a bit. What is it like now?

Edit: My question is regardless of the pandemic. If it makes it easier, how was it before the pandemic?

Jaww
03-29-2020, 08:04 AM
Is this serious?

gloopy
03-29-2020, 08:05 AM
Is this serious?

No, it is not.

Carry on.

53x11
03-29-2020, 08:09 AM
Last time Iíve seen an answer was 2012, and since then the industry has changed quite a bit. What is it like now?

Hiring CAís off the street.

Another TOTD

captnwilson
03-29-2020, 08:19 AM
Is this serious?

Why do you ask? My question is regardless of the current pandemic, itís more of a general question.

Delta has MD-88s and they are virtually done, so how will that effect equipment upgrade times?

gloopy
03-29-2020, 08:20 AM
Why do you ask? My question is irregardless of the current pandemic, itís more of a general question.

Delta has MD-88s and they are virtually done, so how will that effect equipment upgrade times?

Dude. Please. Just, don't.

Its not funny anymore.

captnwilson
03-29-2020, 08:21 AM
Dude. Please. Just, don't.

Its not funny anymore.

Super confused. Anyone mind explaining?

mikea72580
At the current rate of progression, youíll be a Flight Engineer in 23 years.

Jaww
Why do you ask? My question is irregardless of the current pandemic, itís more of a general question.

Ok Iíll bite. How can we discuss upgrade times? We have 5+ threads discussing furloughs. Upgrades are dead for the foreseeable future.

gloopy
03-29-2020, 08:23 AM
Super confused.

No you're not. You know exactly what you're doing.

While I do appreciate legitimate trolling (guard nazis, wind checks, van admirals, etc) this is just stupid and you know it.

captnwilson
03-29-2020, 08:23 AM
Ok Iíll bite. How can we discuss upgrade times? We have 5+ threads discussing furloughs. Upgrades are dead for the foreseeable future.

I was not aware of that. As I said, this is more of a general question. To make it easier, how were upgrade times before this situation?

Iíd appreciate if a little more help was given because Iím not active on this forum 24/7.

captnwilson
03-29-2020, 08:25 AM
No you're not. You know exactly what you're doing.

While I do appreciate legitimate trolling (guard nazis, wind checks, van admirals, etc) this is just stupid and you know it.

Yes, yes I am. I am aware of the situation but my question was regardless of the current situation. I understand that you may be super active on this forum and youíre aware of everything, but please, just help others out.

gloopy
03-29-2020, 08:26 AM
Yes, yes I am. I am aware of the situation but my question was irregardless of the current situation. I understand that you may be super active on this forum and youíre aware of everything, but please, just help others out.

Ugh. Dude. Please.

OK I'll play because there's nothing else to do.

Rephrase your question though.

usmc-sgt
03-29-2020, 08:27 AM
This is almost as good as the FO asking a JSer how things were going over at Trans States these days.

To the original poster, let it go. Not one scrap of data from even 6 minutes ago is relevant or accurate anymore. All carriers are likely far closer to downgrades than this nonsense.

captnwilson
03-29-2020, 08:28 AM
All Iím wondering is how the upgrade times are, times to wide body, new hire aircraft, etc.

I completely understand that you may think Iím trolling, but honestly, Iím not. Iím looking for an answer. Again, this is regardless of the pandemic and info from beforehand is fine.

captnwilson
03-29-2020, 08:30 AM
To the original poster, let it go. Not one scrap of data from even 6 minutes ago is relevant or accurate anymore. All carriers are likely far closer to downgrades than this nonsense.

Yeah, Iíve got the message lol

4fans
03-29-2020, 08:30 AM
Youíre not going to get an answer. The reason is that there isnít one.

gloopy
03-29-2020, 08:31 AM
All Iím wondering is how the upgrade times are, times to wide body, new hire aircraft, etc.

I completely understand that you may think Iím trolling, but honestly, Iím not. Iím looking for an answer. Again, this is irregardless of the pandemic.

LOL what?

You know there are no upgrades. You know there are no new hires. You know the vast majority of the fleet is "parked" and there's more to come. The only shred of reality in your questions could theoretically be wanting to know the current snapshot of the most recent awards. But why, when that is zero percent relevant to anything?

If you're going to troll please at least be funny or witty about it.

Yoohoo1

I completely understand that you may think Iím trolling, but honestly, Iím not. Iím looking for an answer. Again, this is irregardless of the pandemic and info from beforehand is fine.

Not the time to ask the question. Give it up already.

Myfingershurt

I completely understand that you may think Iím trolling, but honestly, Iím not. Iím looking for an answer. Again, this is irregardless of the pandemic and info from beforehand is fine.

What are your motives for asking this question? Why do you need this information? Cause it seems like youíre just poking the bear.

Grapple
03-29-2020, 08:32 AM
Nobody here can answer your question because to be quite honest, it is a ridiculous question without an answer.

Advancement is about to go backwards , ok?

captnwilson
03-29-2020, 08:32 AM
Youíre not going to get an answer. The reason is that there isnít one.

If thatís the case, then thatís the case. I donít need 10 people on my back stating the obvious when Iíve clearly said my question is not regarding the current situation.

DWC CAP10 USAF
03-29-2020, 08:33 AM

Edit: My question is irregardless of the pandemic. If it makes it easier, how was it before the pandemic?

Yes, yes I am. I am aware of the situation but my question was irregardless of the current situation. I understand that you may be super active on this forum and youíre aware of everything, but please, just help others out.

Regardless

Grapple
03-29-2020, 08:34 AM
Pro tip - when 10 people all disagree with whatever you are asking then there is a very good chance that you are indeed asking a bad question.

captnwilson
03-29-2020, 08:36 AM
LOL what?

You know there are no upgrades. You know there are no new hires. You know the vast majority of the fleet is "parked" and there's more to come. The only shred of reality in your questions could theoretically be wanting to know the current snapshot of the most recent awards. But why, when that is zero percent relevant to anything?

If you're going to troll please at least be funny or witty about it.

I was completely unaware that this forum canít think back to old data, or at least be smart enough to give useful information because obviously this pandemic is affecting things. I think the general consensus here is to not give an answer. Iím off.

53x11
03-29-2020, 08:38 AM

New Hire: AA-5A and 6XS2.

Upgrades:
Low end: NB MU2 1-3 years High end: Widebody AN-225 running 18-20 years.

opt0712
03-29-2020, 08:38 AM
Regardless

Hahahah. I still love the fact people think irregardless is the proper word to use. Those double negatives can be hard.

captnwilson
03-29-2020, 08:39 AM

Upgrades:
Low end: NB MU2 1-3 years High end: Widebody ANT-225 running 18-20 years.

ah thanks, finally an answer haha

captnwilson
03-29-2020, 08:40 AM
Hahahah. I still love the fact people think irregardless is the proper word to use. Those double negatives can be hard.

Yeah, my mistake.

gloopy
03-29-2020, 08:43 AM

Upgrades:
Low end: NB MU2 1-3 years High end: Widebody ANT-225 running 18-20 years.

That's pretty close although it did shift two integers after the recent drop. Not sure if he was asking about that though.

fishforfun
03-29-2020, 08:43 AM
Hiring CAís off the street.

Another TOTD

Remember the good oleí days when we were actually discussing capt awards in NH indoc?

53x11
03-29-2020, 08:44 AM
That's pretty close although it did shift two integers after the recent drop. Not sure if he was asking about that though.
;) Filler...

opt0712
03-29-2020, 08:49 AM
Yeah, my mistake.

I get it, man. Unfortunately, you must understand this is an unknown to everyone in here moving forward. Just read the room on the next round. Times are weird right now.

Wolf424
03-29-2020, 08:50 AM
Regardless

Irregardlessly*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolf424
03-29-2020, 08:53 AM
Yeah, my mistake.

Hereís your answer:

Whenever the next AE is, you can expect a 2-35 year upgrade timeline, depending on fleet, the economy, the price of tea in China, and whether or not Joe Exotic successfully runs for president.

Jaww
03-29-2020, 09:07 AM
From the Merriam-Webster dictionary. Just wanna stir the pot. irregardlessadverb (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adverb)
Save Word (https://www.merriam-webster.com/saved-words)To save this word, you'll need to log in.
Log In https://merriam-webster.com/assets/mw/static/app-css-images/global/icons/double-arrows-white.svg (https://www.merriam-webster.com/login)
ir∑​re∑​gard∑​less | \ ˌir-i-ˈgšrd-ləs \Definition of irregardless

nonstandard
: REGARDLESS (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regardless)I told them that irregardless of what you read in books, they's some members of the theatrical profession that occasionally visits the place where they sleep.ó Ring LardnerIs irregardless a word?: Usage GuideIrregardless was popularized in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its increasingly widespread spoken use called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
First Known Use of irregardless1795, in the meaning defined above (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless#h1)
History and Etymology for irregardlessprobably blend of irrespective and regardless

C17B74
03-29-2020, 10:04 AM

Totally agree, I gave up long ago using it as I am a simpleton at best. Even defined as a ďclunkyĒ word in some cases...

The point of the "irregardless" is to shut down conversation. So "irregardless" is a word. It has a specific use, in particular dialects. That said, itís not part of standard English and so ó especially if youíre writing or if youíre speaking in formal places ó you want to use "regardless" instead. Because if you use "irregardless," people will think youíre uneducated.

Point is, might as well ďshutdownĒ this conversation. On the other hand, itís not like most of us have anything else better to do.

Carry on!

Hank Kingsley
03-29-2020, 10:30 AM
https://www.nsc.org/home-safety/safety-topics/choking-suffocation

Never know when it can happen. Karma.

freezingflyboy
03-29-2020, 10:46 AM
I was completely unaware that this forum canít think back to old data, or at least be smart enough to give useful information because obviously this pandemic is affecting things. I think the general consensus here is to not give an answer. Iím off.

I guess as long ss we're thinking back to old, useless data, does anybody know how long it took to go from 727FE to FO back in 1991 just before Iraq invaded Kuwait? I know the Gulf War affected upgrade times, but I'm just curious what it would have been regardless of the economic impact of the war.

SparkySmith
03-29-2020, 10:51 AM
(guard nazis, wind checks, van admirals, etc)

I find the potential van Admiral stories more interesting than the original question. Please tell. Did he demand honors? Seating by rank? Semaphore on arrival?

gloopy
03-29-2020, 11:01 AM
I find the potential van Admiral stories more interesting than the original question. Please tell. Did he demand honors? Seating by rank? Semaphore on arrival?

Most I've heard involve someone asking permission to board and often it being denied.