Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Trans States hiring

murl
05-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Are people actually getting hired with a cmel and 25 multi? Is it even worth your time to send the resume in? I realize they probably don't need to be there but are there actually people who have got their foot in the door with 250?

soon2bfo
05-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Some people have been hired with low time like that, but they have also done bridge programs and lots of training in 727, CRJ or MD80 sims at schools like Purdue and Flight Safety Academy. The people who have the sim time have been successful getting through training, but some other low-time people have had trouble getting through. They may give you a shot and they may not. If you get the chance to fly a jet at 250 (scary) you would be a fool to pass it up. The lines at TSA aren't terribly commutable unless you live within 1-2 hours flying. FYI.

Pilotpip
05-22-2007, 07:27 PM
The people in my interview group all had at least 700 hours. I personally was at 700/60. Last summer a couple friends got hired with less than 400 but one of them did an internship there.

You'd likely have to know somebody or go through flight safety like soon2bfo pointed out to get hired that low.

Foxcow
05-22-2007, 08:54 PM
I talked to a person in the crewroom not too long ago that had 270 hours. This was after IOE.

cruiseclimb
05-23-2007, 06:34 AM
How are captain upgrades running at Tran States?

CL65driver
05-23-2007, 07:08 AM
I talked to a person in the crewroom not too long ago that had 270 hours. This was after IOE.

Wow... :eek:

That's insane.

flynavyj
05-23-2007, 07:57 AM
met a guy in groundschool a couple days ago, was from parks college (SLU) and he had 270 TT, and apparently had just gotten his multi-commercial on saturday, then started groundschool on monday, which tells me he was hired on the basis that he "would" get his multi certificate.

I say if you feel your ready for it "which you probably aren't" come on in and join the party that is transstates.

btwissel
05-23-2007, 10:07 AM
How are captain upgrades running at Tran States?

heard that a lot are busting recently. may be a result of the shortened training, or people that are not studying as they should. most likely a little of both.

they're about 30 people away from runnign out of qualified FOs. after that (around august or so) they'll have to start hiring "CQFOs" (it's the company's way of getting around the dirty phrase "street captain"). after that, there are few guys that will meet the mins in less that 2 years.

Foxcow
05-23-2007, 10:14 AM
heard that a lot are busting recently. may be a result of the shortened training, or people that are not studying as they should. most likely a little of both.

they're about 30 people away from runnign out of qualified FOs. after that (around august or so) they'll have to start hiring "CQFOs" (it's the company's way of getting around the dirty phrase "street captain"). after that, there are few guys that will meet the mins in less that 2 years.

There are a lot of people that will meet the mins in less than that. I will have the time in less than a year.

randalis
05-23-2007, 10:27 AM
How is the QOL there at Trans States?

JoeyMeatballs
05-23-2007, 10:29 AM

anytime an airline is hiring guys with that low a time, and/or upgrading very very quickly,it USUALLY is a very good indication that the QOL is not very good................

reevesofskyking
05-23-2007, 11:45 AM
my QOL is not that bad.
I dont live in st louis, I just live in indiana and I drive in and out for my trips unless it is a real early show or something like that, and then I stay a night in the crash pad.

I am right now getting almost always three days off in a row, and often times 4 or more.

the lines at least what I am getting are busy and spread out, but I am lazy I like flying two legs and sleeping for 12 or 13 hours. I know there are others that cannot stand those kind of parings.

For me at least, once out on the line, I am most of the time contetnt with what I am doing.

Might be cause I am just starting 6 days off in a row today.

who knows. I do think it is what you make of it, and for me and I feel just fine for now.

Reeves

Pilotpip
05-23-2007, 01:42 PM
anytime an airline is hiring guys with that low a time, and/or upgrading very very quickly,it USUALLY is a very good indication that the QOL is not very good................

How about XJT? Low upgrade, hiring with pretty low times.

JoeyMeatballs
05-23-2007, 02:44 PM
How about XJT? Low upgrade, hiring with pretty low times.

hey pal......... Gimme a break I highlighted the term "Usually" :)

Pilotpip
05-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah, it's the state of things right now. I think RAH is the only one that you could consider having what were once considered the "standard" times of 100/100. Just about every other regional out there is hiring at much less than that.

A chance to get a dig at the almighty SAABaroowski is something I couldn't pass up. :)

duvie
05-23-2007, 03:52 PM
RAHs minimums aren't concrete, there aren't too many places that won't budge. SKW will now drop below 1000, but only if you came from one of the training academies that they have agreements with or were an intern. As for XJT I wonder about a place that hires 75% of the people they interview. I guess the airlines just don't have the options they used to. Maybe thats why SKW can't fill classes

murl
05-23-2007, 06:07 PM
So if I got my CMEL at say 275 you would send the resume in and just see what happened?

Foxcow
05-23-2007, 10:00 PM

Life on reserve sucks (as with any airline) but once you get a line. Life is good. I have been getting 15-13 days off per month. Well as good as it can get at TSA.

flynavyj
05-24-2007, 03:24 AM
love the avatar foxcow

murl, i won't, but i'm sure you might be able to find someone who will. I think i'm done walking in stuff for people here, had to many friends fail out, and i don't want to feel even partially responsible for getting them started on the wrong foot.

As for upgrade time, most of my class (sept) will be eligible for upgrade in another 12-14 months, so depending on how many CQFO's they hire, upgrade might be put off for only a little bit, might be on time, or could be put off indefinately. Not knowing is the worst thing about this place.

Foxcow
05-24-2007, 09:50 AM
love the avatar foxcow

murl, i won't, but i'm sure you might be able to find someone who will. I think i'm done walking in stuff for people here, had to many friends fail out, and i don't want to feel even partially responsible for getting them started on the wrong foot.

As for upgrade time, most of my class (sept) will be eligible for upgrade in another 12-14 months, so depending on how many CQFO's they hire, upgrade might be put off for only a little bit, might be on time, or could be put off indefinately. Not knowing is the worst thing about this place.

I am pretty sure that they are contractually obligated to move the CQFOs back to the ride side when more people are able to upgrade. There was a very large grievance that we won because of that not long ago.

BoilerUP
05-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah, it's the state of things right now. I think RAH is the only one that you could consider having what were once considered the "standard" times of 100/100. Just about every other regional out there is hiring at much less than that.

RAH has hired recent Purdue grads with 500 hours total time...

"Standard minimums"? They don't exist anymore...

Foxcow
05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
love the avatar foxcow

Thanks! A guy on flightinfo made it. By the way, I am trying to gauge interest to see if anyone is interested in some stickers.

AV8ER
05-24-2007, 11:48 AM
I am pretty sure that they are contractually obligated to move the CQFOs back to the ride side when more people are able to upgrade. There was a very large grievance that we won because of that not long ago.

Are you sure or pretty sure? I'm under the understanding that is not the case. I hope it is though....

murl
05-24-2007, 01:46 PM
love the avatar foxcow

I wouldn't even dare ask anyone that I didn't know to walk a resume in for me. I do have a good friend that just got hired at TSA.

murl
05-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Would they come more near hiring you with a Bachelors as a low timer than without one? How much weight does that carry in the hiring department?

AV8ER
05-24-2007, 03:03 PM
I know of one guy that is 20 that is at TSA, and I'm assuming b/c of his age he doesn't have a degree. And I doubt hes the only one. I don't think it will make much difference right now.

soon2bfo
05-25-2007, 06:09 PM
This month on reserve I have flown 57 hours, and with the airport reserve hours credited 70 (5 hours a day or actual block if +5). I am picking up a 20 hour 3 day at the end of the month, and the other pilots on reserve have had similar utilization. TSA needs pilots. Its not an easy commute unless you can reliably come from home to STL and arrive before 11:00 AM (no commuter clause). Everybody quibbles about having 1-2 more days off, but a job is really 90% your attitude toward what you are doing. TSA isn't a bad place at all. PM with specific questions.

Bri85
05-25-2007, 06:18 PM
I know of one guy that is 20 that is at TSA, and I'm assuming b/c of his age he doesn't have a degree. And I doubt hes the only one. I don't think it will make much difference right now.

I got a friend that is 20 at TSA, but looks younger; is doing his degree online. He tells me he gets harass by the passengers, and other employees due to his age :D

blue2412
05-25-2007, 06:21 PM
I have 240 TT about 140 multi. CFI CFII MEI. what should I do? Would you guys that work for them recommend TSA?

Foxcow
05-25-2007, 07:12 PM
I have 240 TT about 140 multi. CFI CFII MEI. what should I do? Would you guys that work for them recommend TSA?

Keep instructing. Don't skip out on an entire chapter of your career. Not to mention you will be a better pilot.

atpcliff
05-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi!

We have a guy who is 26 and is a DC-9 Capt. AND, he just go an AF F-22 guard slot!!!

cliff
YIP

Bascuela
05-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Keep instructing. Don't skip out on an entire chapter of your career. Not to mention you will be a better pilot.

You can learn A LOT as a CFI and even have fun doing it too.

flynavyj
05-26-2007, 03:02 AM
It'll also be nice when you're sitting in the cockpit and the captain asks "so what'd you do before you got here?" and you don't say "well, i flew airplanes"...they'll automatically lable you as SJS and believe you never ALMOST killed yourself enough to have earned the seat.

flyerfly
05-26-2007, 06:11 AM
I am one of the 20 year old FOs at TSA. Cptn Ed asked me durring the interview do I think I'm old enough to work here. I told him yes. I had already taught for 6 months. Durring that time I had built over 600 hrs dual given. That was convincing enough. That and I had baout 160 hrs multi. Age doesn't matter unless thay specifically say must be 21 or older like Comair, Skywest, Pinnacle, and other. RAH even has a 23 age limit on the ERJ170. I think this is silly. It must be for cheaper insurance. If young guys can fly a 76 seater at HoJet they should be able to fly 76 seaters at RAH. I'm just saying. Age doesn't matter. Its all attitude and experience. Though I'm only 20 I've been in an aviation family and flying since I was 14.

Shrek
05-26-2007, 08:07 AM
I am one of the 20 year old FOs at TSA. Cptn Ed asked me durring the interview do I think I'm old enough to work here. I told him yes. I had already taught for 6 months. Durring that time I had built over 600 hrs dual given. That was convincing enough. That and I had baout 160 hrs multi. Age doesn't matter unless thay specifically say must be 21 or older like Comair, Skywest, Pinnacle, and other. RAH even has a 23 age limit on the ERJ170. I think this is silly. It must be for cheaper insurance. If young guys can fly a 76 seater at HoJet they should be able to fly 76 seaters at RAH. I'm just saying. Age doesn't matter. Its all attitude and experience. Though I'm only 20 I've been in an aviation family and flying since I was 14.

WOW...........well I guess you just DESERVE a job then. :eek:

POPA
05-26-2007, 09:13 AM
I am one of the 20 year old FOs at TSA.

What the heck do you do on an overnight? Drink warm milk and watch the Disney Channel?
I may not be ancient, but at least I can go out with my crew.

DMEarc
05-26-2007, 09:22 AM
What the heck do you do on an overnight? Drink warm milk and watch the Disney Channel?
I may not be ancient, but at least I can go out with my crew.

Haha. Good one, sir. Hold out for a real company folks. Somewhere that you want to be.

flyerfly
05-26-2007, 10:19 AM
I know that my first post about being 20 came from left field, but I was just saying it in reguards to a post earlier in the forum. I wasn't just shooting my guns. I don't really like to brag about it.

WOW...........well I guess you just DESERVE a job then. :eek:

I think so. I worked hard. I did it an honest way. I love what I do. I know that many people before me have worked a lot harder. I'm not oblivious to the fact. I'm greatful to have an airline job. I know I'm fortunate. I may be young but I'm not stupid. Well maybe stupid for working at TSA. Good thing I quit on Friday to start at AWAC.

And as far as going out with crews. I do go out. I'm smart about it. I have ways of getting into places and drinking. However if going out and drinking with your crew is how you define your overnights then thats just sad. It's fun to go out and do and I love it, but it doesn't make or break a trip for me. I'm working on my degree online. Thats what I do in my hotel on overnights. Something productive.

And Shrek how is everything over at Spirit?

LOW FUEL
05-26-2007, 10:27 AM

Most IOE's are 25hrs so he got hired at 245tt?

POPA
05-26-2007, 10:31 AM
And as far as going out with crews. I do go out. I'm smart about it. I have ways of getting into places and drinking. However if going out and drinking with your crew is how you define your overnights then thats just sad. It's fun to go out and do and I love it, but it doesn't make or break a trip for me. I'm working on my degree online. Thats what I do in my hotel on overnights. Something productive.

"Mr. Captain, will you please buy me a six-pack before you go downtown?"
The rest of us don't have to worry about getting our degrees during the overnights. We did them in college. Now, we get to go out and enjoy our overnights - and we're still senior to you.

HotMamaPilot
05-26-2007, 10:41 AM

no, it's not silly. the pax don't feel confident seeing a 12 year old controlling their fate. that comment alone is case in point that youth=immaturity, young man

flyerfly
05-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Hotmama
Youth=
1. the condition of being young.
2. the appearance, freshness, vigor, spirit, etc., characteristic of one who is young.

Sounds like someone I'd like to work with.

Another thing. The pax don't give a crap. They could care less. If they had to choose between a $100 ticket with a 20 year old FO or a $200 ticket and a 40 year old FO. Guess which one wins. They just get on the plane and say, "Oh this is a small plane." So your point doesn't hold up.

And for POPA if I went to college I'd still be there doing something I really don't want to do. I like what I do now so quit with the inquisition.

One of the best ways to save money and stay in shape is to quit drinking. Once again something productive. Mmmm good!

SaltyDog
05-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Hotmama
Youth=
2. the appearance, freshness, vigor, spirit, etc., characteristic of one who is young.

Another thing. The pax don't give a crap. They could care less. If they had to choose between a $100 ticket with a 20 year old FO or a $200 ticket and a 40 year old FO. Guess which one wins. They just get on the plane and say, "Oh this is a small plane." So your point doesn't hold up.

And for POPA if I went to college I'd still be there doing something I really don't want to do. I like what I do now so quit with the inquisition.

One of the best ways to save money and stay in shape is to quit drinking. Once again something productive. Mmmm good!

Don't be thin skinned :) We always said in the Navy, if they aren't making fun of you, they don't like you. I guess your liked well enough. 20 is fine, flew A-4's with 20 year old Military Navy students when Navy went to associates degree to start. They did just fine. Most were envious really. I agree, pax don't really care as long as a cheap tix is in the deal.

HotMamaPilot
05-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Hotmama
Youth=

i tried to follow your post, but I lost my train of thought. :confused:

ExperimentalAB
05-26-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm 22, and get comments EVERY day from PAX:

"Oh my, You're too young to be a Pilot!" and "How old are you, again?!" and "Oh, that's scary!"

But they still get on...LoL

IMHO, if you're motivated enough to be at this point by the time you are 20 years old, you are also mature enough to be up there in the front office. Nobody can believe I'm 22 and an Airline Pilot...so many people say "wow, where the heck was I at 22 years old?!"

Best of luck man!

HotMamaPilot
05-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm 22, and get comments EVERY day from PAX:

"Oh my, You're too young to be a Pilot!" and "How old are you, again?!" and "Oh, that's scary!"

But they still get on...LoL

IMHO, if you're motivated enough to be at this point by the time you are 20 years old, you are also mature enough to be up there in the front office. Nobody can believe I'm 22 and an Airline Pilot...so many people say "wow, where the heck was I at 22 years old?!"

Best of luck man!

please define

ExperimentalAB
05-26-2007, 05:37 PM
please define

How so.....??

ExperimentalAB
05-26-2007, 05:44 PM
"Mr. Captain, will you please buy me a six-pack before you go downtown?"
The rest of us don't have to worry about getting our degrees during the overnights. We did them in college. Now, we get to go out and enjoy our overnights - and we're still senior to you.

Alright, I hate to be a Jerk here, but you've gone way too far POPA...Here's a guy not only working his tail off to do something he LOVES, but also working his tail off every night to further his education and get that COLLEGE DEGREE.

He oughta be getting a pat on the back, not derision from his fellow Pilots. Seriously. Would you say that to a family member who was working for a living and also finishing a degree online?? Didn't think so.

Fly IFR
05-26-2007, 05:52 PM
I enjoy how people like to talk crap about an airline that they have never actually worked for. Everyone has "heard" from someone else...

flyerfly
05-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks ExperimentalAB. Someone gets where I'm comming from. And to be honest with you I have never EVER had someone tell me I'm too young to fly. It's not an issue. I don't know why it's an issue on APC

POPA
05-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Alright, I hate to be a Jerk here, but you've gone way too far POPA...Here's a guy not only working his tail off to do something he LOVES, but also working his tail off every night to further his education and get that COLLEGE DEGREE.

He oughta be getting a pat on the back, not derision from his fellow Pilots. Seriously. Would you say that to a family member who was working for a living and also finishing a degree online?? Didn't think so.

I like how you (incorrectly) answered your own question. That's cute.

POPA
05-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks ExperimentalAB. Someone gets where I'm comming from. And to be honest with you I have never EVER had someone tell me I'm too young to fly. It's not an issue. I don't know why it's an issue on APC

We never said you're too young to fly. We said you're too young to be doing something other than enjoying college. I guess you haven't gotten to your reading comprehension class yet, eh?

flyerfly
05-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Enjoying college is what my girl friend is for. She goes to Iowa State so it's just a short flight to DSM and a drive up to Ames, IA for the weekend. I have fun there. Behind every successful pilot is a successful woman. (Physical Therapy major) It just wouldn't have been good for me at the time. In addition to that; I love reading. I find it refreshing and quite a delight. My comprehension is fine.

Danzig
05-26-2007, 06:23 PM

Cheers to that!