Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Info on Trans States Airlines

skihigh2002
07-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Went up to STL yesterday for an interview -- really was not expecting to be offered a position but was given a September class date. Now I have to decide what to do... I haven't heard much about the company so I'm throwing it out to you guys... what do you think about this company? They told me upgrade time would be about a year or so to become a captain... sounds pretty enticing, are they just blowing smoke or is this true?

What about commuting? TSA has no commuter policy so I'm free to commute (probably would be commuting from BNA or MEM) but if I don't make it I'll get fired apparently. I'm new to this airline thing so how exactly does commuting work? The CASS system? CASS is a totally foreign idea for me...

Any information is much appreciated... thanks!

Chris

Lbell911
07-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Others will fill you in on TSA, ha ha ha ha, however what are you Total Times and Mulit times, they will be able to further assist you on your question of if this company is for you or not.

Just my .02

Foxcow
07-11-2007, 08:01 AM
use the search function, there are plety of threads on the subject.

Pilotpip
07-11-2007, 08:36 AM
I have always wondered why people don't do homework on their potential employers before being put in this position.

The good/bad of every regional has been beaten one hair short of death only to recover in ICU and be beaten to near death again. Take some time and search this one out.

skihigh2002
07-11-2007, 08:51 AM
My total time is around 600 total and 30 multi --

I did search it out and cannot really find actual consensus on the topic. The various threads degenerate into name calling and such every time!

So, I am looking for a consensus here on the topic.

Thanks.

jtf560
07-11-2007, 08:52 AM
It is a crappy airline, with scumsucking management, but a great bunch of pilots, at least while I was there. If you can get hired by a different regional soon- go to the other regional. If you can't, go to the original TSA and get just enough experience to go to a better regional as fast as you can. Almost all the regionals are hurting for pilots and most have (or will soon have) fairly short upgrade times. Management WILL screw you there if you are there long enough- do your best to get out quick if you take the job. There are many who have taken the job in the recent past and then gone to better places ASAP. Don't feel guilty about hosing TSA. I still don't think they have a training contract, but if they do- do not take the job. Good luck.

j3gibbon
07-11-2007, 10:06 AM
From what I have read and researched I agree with the above statement. If other regionals with better pay or benefits will not take you then, get in get some time and get out. I am looking at a similar position at GoJet (have an up coming interview and expect to ask my possible future employer some tough questions and will see what it is really like). I can't say that I have any experience like many of the other posters, heck I've only got <250 tt and 50 mt.

Foxcow
07-11-2007, 10:06 AM
My total time is around 600 total and 30 multi --

I did search it out and cannot really find actual consensus on the topic. The various threads degenerate into name calling and such every time!

So, I am looking for a consensus here on the topic.

Thanks.

I find it hard to believe that you could not find any info. There is a lot of info and you might have take some time (god forbid) to sift through some of the banter but the info is there.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/search.php?searchid=322193

I find it incredible that a person would apply to a company, interview with this company, and accept a job with the company without any knowledge of said company. Irresponsible.

skihigh2002
07-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I find it hard to believe that you could not find any info. There is a lot of info and you might have take some time (god forbid) to sift through some of the banter but the info is there.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/search.php?searchid=322193

I find it incredible that a person would apply to a company, interview with this company, and accept a job with the company without any knowledge of said company. Irresponsible.

When I click on the link it does not work.

Don't call me irresponsible, I don't know you and you don't know me.

I'm trying to get specifics about the company--I researched and I know and understand the way the company operates. Now I want an insider's perspective before I start working there. Please don't waste your time writing posts calling me irresponsible.. it serves no purpose.

ExperimentalAB
07-11-2007, 02:21 PM
From what I have read and researched I agree with the above statement. If other regionals with better pay or benefits will not take you then, get in get some time and get out. I am looking at a similar position at GoJet (have an up coming interview and expect to ask my possible future employer some tough questions and will see what it is really like). I can't say that I have any experience like many of the other posters, heck I've only got <250 tt and 50 mt.

Why would you go to GoJet? And why would you even post that on here?!

chitownpilot
07-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Why would you go to GoJet? And why would you even post that on here?!

I'll second ExperimentalAB... GoJet was created to bypass a union scope clause to allow TransStates to operate CRJ-700s for United Express...pilots there are treated as if they are scabs, and it could haunt you at an interview later on if you have a guy that is very pro-ALPA or something. That being said, GoJet pilots have gotten jobs at majors, so who knows how all the threats pan out.

In the end, it is your decision as to what path you take, but PLEASE take your eyes off the shiny CRJ for a second and look at what else you might have to deal with!

Shrek
07-11-2007, 03:36 PM

You are a complete TOOL if you go to GoJets period. Do your research and if you still go there - it will be nobody else's fault but your own.

POPA
07-11-2007, 04:40 PM
I am looking at a similar position at GoJet

I am looking forward to blocking your radio transmissions, cutting in front of you in the security line, and not letting you jumpseat on my plane.

XJPILOT1
07-11-2007, 07:44 PM
MESABA- Your freindly neighborhood 'Legacy Regional'. Great group of people.

flynavyj
07-11-2007, 09:03 PM
gibbon, what the heck are you thinking? I know, you have very little time, and you probably don't want to instructor, nor pay more money to get training. here's the kicker. While the current major pilots are mostly unaware of the regional GoJet/TSA situation the rest of the regionals are very very aware of it. Eventually those same regional pilots will find their way to the majors also, and the fact that there are more pilots out there not at gojet (who dislike gojet) than there are pilots @ gojet, it's a fair guess that there will be more anti-gojet people around than pro-gojet people around. End result, your peers will look down on you for the remainder of your career, which doesn't sound like any fun to me. What's worse, if you hope to get hired @ gojet, and then get a little more time and jump to a better regional, you'll have the joy of not only explaining why you were hired, and ditched a company on your next interview, you'll STILL be explaining why you went to a scab company in the first place...your co-workers will expect that you'll cut them off, or leave them to burn in the aircraft only to save your own skin, or find the quick upgrade...it shows you lack the desire to find better employement, or improve your working conditions, and it also condones the terrible treating of pilots by company management, and shows your association with the evil enemy...mgt.

To the OP...i don't know how you could have missed all the TSA info out there, there's tons. Upgrade time is short right now (no smoke up your butt) but as was stated earlier, it'll be dropping @ other regionals as well. Mgt here sux nuts, there is no commuter clause, lines aren't really un-commutable (know lots of commuters) MEM, BNA shouldn't be to bad, infact company aircraft serve both cities out of STL. There are limited crew bases RIC/STL as you know (hopefully) and a relatively small pilot group. There's been a lot of attrition @ the top (causing the shortage of captains) but also lots @ the bottom (FO's going to chautauqua, xjet, etc) QOL isnt that bad, but movement has slowed since i was hired. Reserve is running short (two months or so) hardlines very between 12-15 days off, lowest end had been 13 at some point i believe...during the winter i saw 11 etc, now i guarentee about 15 min. Best of luck in your choice, your times seem about right, and if things don't change, yeh, you'd be able to attempt upgrade in a year or so, maybe 1.5, if your ready.

07-13-2007, 05:41 AM
I currently fly for Trans States, yes the management there is less then palatable; however, our pilot group is fantastic!

We are hiring at Commercial Multi instrument certification! Training is brutal, but if you make it through there is not a training environment anywhere in this industry where you would not excell!

The GoJet situation is still a raw festering herpie on the likes of STL! those who go to GoJets will find that their lives will become quite unpleasant at the hands of their own management, and then yet again from other pilot groups.

While I have talked from time to time with members of their pilot group, I still can not look away from the fact that they still took a job there knowing that their flying was won by TSA pilots and that GoJets should be staffed by a Trans States Holding's pilot group(ne. Trans States Airlines pilots-contracted through "Holdings" to fly GJ aircraft, a-la Republic holdings!) So I will be professional towards them, but I have no sympathy for them when they get dumped on.

Airborne
07-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Which base is JR for Trans States? STL or RIC? I will have to commute from Denver if I ever get a call and STL would be a lot nicer.

Airplaneflyer11
07-14-2007, 08:15 AM
MESABA- Your freindly neighborhood 'Legacy Regional'. Great group of people.

I second that

Pilotpip
07-14-2007, 09:06 AM
RIC is "junior". Right now you'd be able to bid back to STL within a month or two. As far as the commute to STL, you have at least 9 flights available as options. There were a couple in my class from Denver that plan on commuting.

Airborne
07-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks Pilotpip- I will keep building time and updating the resume.

skihigh2002
07-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Ok... so again, I'm new to the process and I don't really understand how commuting works... are you guaranteed a seat? Let's just go through a hypothetical commute from Nashville... what's the process?

What's the normal schedule like? Do you end up back at the RIC or STL base a lot or are there a lot of overnights?

How does reserve flying work? Will I have to be at the airport all the time?

When flying the line, what's a typical day/week like?

Thanks for humoring my questions--just trying to find out all the answers to my questions...

Thanks.

Chris

reevesofskyking
07-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Chris

I will take a shot at answering your questions.

You will not have a guaranteed seat hardly ever, and never when commuting. that does mean it is hard to commute, but you have to leave yourself with two or three other options.

When you are on reserve, you will either be "home or Airport" reserve, when on home reserve you get to sit in the crashpad all day and wait on the hour and half call out, most often times I saw, I had many many hours to a day call for a trip on home reserve. Airport reserve you have to be at the airport and ready to go at the end of the phone call pretty much, but if you do not get used you get paid five flight hours for doing it.

The lines are what you make out of them, and how you bid, ask for advice on how to bid and read the bid packet, they wont teach you in ground schools, so for the first few bid periods that you bid you will get crap schedules, you just have not learned yet.

I drive in from indiana for my trips so I do not have to do airline comutting, and I bid all three and four day trips with early shows, and early end times. That gets me the most time at home with my wife and dog. Plus the four day trips have less driving that I have to do, saves me gas.

I like doing our united trips, four days, sometimes it is not alot of flying with long overnights, again I am lazy that is what I like.

There is a plenty of day trips and two days and the like, but it seems that the shorter trips go more Sr to people that live in st louis.

I hold most often times 15 to 17 days off every month, and if I get a day trip or a two day thrown in there, I just drop it, and I get 18 or 19 days off, and I have done that every month since April.

Reserve time is real short, and upgrade time is real short too.

I am not worried about the upgrade time, I have learned I am not ready at ATP Mins.

I think you will experince the same thing too, even though they hire low time guys, it is still a big boy job, and experince counts.

Feel free to ask more questions

Reeves

ExperimentalAB
07-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Ok... so again, I'm new to the process and I don't really understand how commuting works... are you guaranteed a seat? Let's just go through a hypothetical commute from Nashville... what's the process?

What's the normal schedule like? Do you end up back at the RIC or STL base a lot or are there a lot of overnights?

How does reserve flying work? Will I have to be at the airport all the time?

When flying the line, what's a typical day/week like?

Thanks for humoring my questions--just trying to find out all the answers to my questions...

Thanks.

Chris

If we were guaranteed a seat, everybody would commute. Commuting sucks for just this reason...it's super-stressful and time-consuming.

Don't expect to see home again until the last day of your trip...unless you are on the American-side, hub and spoking out of STL. But your overnights will be at outstations. But then again, w/some seniority you can pick up day-trips. United flying is pretty much out of ORD/IAD. US Air is hub and spoke out of PIT.

Home reserve is a 1.5 hr callout. Airport Reserve is 15 min's or so. You hang out in the crew lounge all day. On reserve you get a mixture of both.

3 or 4 on, 2 or 3 off w/the occasional 4+ day's off.

Any more Q's feel free to shoot away!

ScaryKite
07-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Chris

I will take a shot at answering your questions.

You will not have a guaranteed seat hardly ever, and never when commuting. that does mean it is hard to commute, but you have to leave yourself with two or three other options.

When you are on reserve, you will either be "home or Airport" reserve, when on home reserve you get to sit in the crashpad all day and wait on the hour and half call out, most often times I saw, I had many many hours to a day call for a trip on home reserve. Airport reserve you have to be at the airport and ready to go at the end of the phone call pretty much, but if you do not get used you get paid five flight hours for doing it.

The lines are what you make out of them, and how you bid, ask for advice on how to bid and read the bid packet, they wont teach you in ground schools, so for the first few bid periods that you bid you will get crap schedules, you just have not learned yet.

I drive in from indiana for my trips so I do not have to do airline comutting, and I bid all three and four day trips with early shows, and early end times. That gets me the most time at home with my wife and dog. Plus the four day trips have less driving that I have to do, saves me gas.

I like doing our united trips, four days, sometimes it is not alot of flying with long overnights, again I am lazy that is what I like.

There is a plenty of day trips and two days and the like, but it seems that the shorter trips go more Sr to people that live in st louis.

I hold most often times 15 to 17 days off every month, and if I get a day trip or a two day thrown in there, I just drop it, and I get 18 or 19 days off, and I have done that every month since April.

Reserve time is real short, and upgrade time is real short too.

I am not worried about the upgrade time, I have learned I am not ready at ATP Mins.

I think you will experince the same thing too, even though they hire low time guys, it is still a big boy job, and experince counts.

Feel free to ask more questions

Reeves

reeves, you actually make TSA sound like a nice place to work! In fact, i kind of miss it! :*( I really do some times! I agree with you on the upgrade thing, when I heard about the ATP mimimums I was ****ed because my seniority would have held a captain position this fall, but I would have never taken it with only one year experience in a 121 environment, FOS need much more than 700 in type, one icing season, and a tutorial on how to use a radar! The captain has a very important job and a huge responsibility, something I wouldn't really be ready for with only one years experience at an airline, things are going to get hairy at the regional level with an ATP minimums wonder captain and some Delta Connection Acadamy hot shot slingin the gear!

reevesofskyking
07-15-2007, 10:35 AM
reeves, you actually make TSA sound like a nice place to work! In fact, i kind of miss it! :*( I really do some times! I agree with you on the upgrade thing, when I heard about the ATP mimimums I was ****ed because my seniority would have held a captain position this fall, but I would have never taken it with only one year experience in a 121 environment, FOS need much more than 700 in type, one icing season, and a tutorial on how to use a radar! The captain has a very important job and a huge responsibility, something I wouldn't really be ready for with only one years experience at an airline, things are going to get hairy at the regional level with an ATP minimums wonder captain and some Delta Connection Acadamy hot shot slingin the gear!

How is life treating you,
I have not heard anything from you in a while

I kinda keep out of touch, I dont live in the G spot anymore, and I just stay at home and mow my grass, that seems to be my favorite thing to do right now.

Trans states is not too bad if you just keep the mindset that they are machines that need to be minipulated to get what you want. I consider my self doing good if I get 50 percent or more of what I ask for. I figure that is the best it is ever going to be.

I sit and work my magic.

Later on

TRS531
07-15-2007, 08:45 PM
If we were guaranteed a seat, everybody would commute. Commuting sucks for just this reason...it's super-stressful and time-consuming.

Don't expect to see home again until the last day of your trip...unless you are on the American-side, hub and spoking out of STL. But your overnights will be at outstations. But then again, w/some seniority you can pick up day-trips. United flying is pretty much out of ORD/IAD. US Air is hub and spoke out of PIT.

Home reserve is a 1.5 hr callout. Airport Reserve is 15 min's or so. You hang out in the crew lounge all day. On reserve you get a mixture of both.

3 or 4 on, 2 or 3 off w/the occasional 4+ day's off.

Any more Q's feel free to shoot away!

I know it's been said the pilot group at TSA is great....are the FA's pretty cool too? Is it like the other carriers->mix of young, old, etc...

What are the hotels like...any good ones they put u up in?

I think I saw in a post recently that RIC was a good base....not too involved with the management,etc.....Is STL bigger/better?

I'm instructing and plan to do so for a while but live in ATL and haven't decided what i'm going to do. Obviously i know commuting blows and with ASA being here that's a possibility. Just curious about TSA and the likes

Thanks

Foxcow
07-15-2007, 09:11 PM
I know it's been said the pilot group at TSA is great....are the FA's pretty cool too? Is it like the other carriers->mix of young, old, etc...

What are the hotels like...any good ones they put u up in?

I think I saw in a post recently that RIC was a good base....not too involved with the management,etc.....Is STL bigger/better?

I'm instructing and plan to do so for a while but live in ATL and haven't decided what i'm going to do. Obviously i know commuting blows and with ASA being here that's a possibility. Just curious about TSA and the likes

Thanks

ATL will be an easier commute. We have 3-4 flights per day plus 2 or so CHQ flights to STL plus the 3-4 DAL flights and now the Airtran stuff.

Window_Seat
07-15-2007, 10:17 PM
3 good regionals have bases in ATL and you want to commute to STl to work for TSA? (ASA, SKywest and Republic?) Get your time in instructing, you will need all those hours to upgrade anyways once you get to your jet.

Foxcow
07-17-2007, 08:58 AM
When I click on the link it does not work.

Don't call me irresponsible, I don't know you and you don't know me.

I'm trying to get specifics about the company--I researched and I know and understand the way the company operates. Now I want an insider's perspective before I start working there. Please don't waste your time writing posts calling me irresponsible.. it serves no purpose.

I guess I missed this response. I was not trying to tear you down or attack you personally. My point was that it would be unwise to go to an interview or accept a job without knowing anything about it. I know I would not buy a house without at least one home inspection, or buy a car without looking at it.

ScaryKite
07-17-2007, 11:57 AM
How is life treating you,
I have not heard anything from you in a while

I kinda keep out of touch, I dont live in the G spot anymore, and I just stay at home and mow my grass, that seems to be my favorite thing to do right now.

Trans states is not too bad if you just keep the mindset that they are machines that need to be minipulated to get what you want. I consider my self doing good if I get 50 percent or more of what I ask for. I figure that is the best it is ever going to be.

I sit and work my magic.

Later on

yeah things are going pretty good over here, living 10 minutes from the employee lot makes life a lot better! I am holding 3 day trips and some weekends off! the flying is pretty good, the crews are awesome. I do miss STL and the g-spot, those were some good times. I kind of wish i would have stuck around, i would be in a pretty good spot over there, but oh well!