Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Trans States Upgrade Update

Zach
08-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Im in the July initial hire class and one of the guys in my class has enough time to upgrade. Well today he got his letter today saying he is in the October Upgrade Class. So basically if you have the time, you will upgrade almost immediately.

Sanchez
08-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm sure he had previous ERJ experience, and/or 121.

Onfinal
08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Wow:

I've been saying this for a while, and by saying it, I'm not wishing it on anyone but:

This type of thing tells me it is inevitable that we will see the failure of one or two Regional Airlines in the next 3 or so years. Fortunately, I believe it will be the ones who've treated their people like Crap for the last five years.

This level of hiring is just unsustainable, and some carriers are going to loose their contracts for lack of being able to meet their obligations to the majors.

Onfinal

Zach
08-06-2007, 02:22 PM
The guy flew for Eagle since 2001. He spent the last couple years in the CRJ-700. I think he's qualified.

Sanchez
08-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Wow:

I've been saying this for a while, and by saying it, I'm not wishing it on anyone but:

This type of thing tells me it is inevitable that we will see the failure of one or two Regional Airlines in the next 3 or so years. Fortunately, I believe it will be the ones who've treated their people like Crap for the last five years.

This level of hiring is just unsustainable, and some carriers are going to loose their contracts for lack of being able to meet their obligations to the majors.

Onfinal

I agree with you 100%. The airlines that refuse to become competitive i.e. Mesa, will probably have to close their doors eventually...after all, you can only cancel somany flights for UA, US, and Delta, before they realize is time to drop them.

This is good news for the guys that will take our spots at the regionals in a few years...it will put them in a great position to bargain.

Foxcow
08-06-2007, 08:51 PM
I hope this guy is going for the flight manager position otherwise the company is upgrading out of seniority. I have the mins and have been waiting for a class.

POPA
08-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Yeah, I have trouble believing this, too.
Quite a few people from the Sept '06 class have the minimums and have their bid in, but have not gotten called.

Zach
08-07-2007, 07:19 AM
I read it myself. Maybe it has to do with him flying for Eagle for the past 6 years.

jtf560
08-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Unfortunately, it really does sound like something management would do. They give you the finger and tell you to grieve it. How long will that take? Can it be any shorter than the grievances for furlough out of seniority 6 years ago or CQFO in '03/'04 that as far as I know are still unresolved (I haven't seen a cent and my friends still there haven't either)? It sounds like the start of another CQFO deal since it's easier to bring in a street CA rather than put the new guy in training to be an FO and dropping an FO offline to go to class to become a captain. They have a history of doing this when short staffed. If this is the real deal- upgrading out of seniority again, than I hope you guys can make them pay for it. I escaped and those scum bags still make my blood boil thinking about how they are screwing the next round of pilots that just want to get their time and get out.

POPA
08-07-2007, 07:24 AM
I read it myself. Maybe it has to do with him flying for Eagle for the past 6 years.

That's got absolutely nothing to do with it.
Upgrading is all about seniority, and he doesn't have any.
Either somebody made a mistake or the company has decided to screw its pilot group over again - neither of which would surprise me.
Thank goodness I got out.

rickair7777
08-07-2007, 08:04 AM
That's got absolutely nothing to do with it.
Upgrading is all about seniority, and he doesn't have any.
Either somebody made a mistake or the company has decided to screw its pilot group over again - neither of which would surprise me.
Thank goodness I got out.

Experience has a lot to do with it at many regionals...you normally about need 2500 TT plus some other experience requirements.

A CFI who was hired with 600 hours one (or even two) years ago doesn't have the required upgrade time...so he gets bypassed and a very junior pilot with previous experience at another regional, military, 135, etc gets to upgrade now.

The downside is that when the CFI does get the time, he will upgrade on top of (senior to) the experienced pilot who took the eraly upgrade. The early-upgrader will be on reserve for a LONG time as senior people keep coming in on top of him...

POPA
08-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Experience has a lot to do with it at many regionals...you normally about need 2500 TT plus some other experience requirements.

At TSA, you only need 1500!
I know many people with this, senior to the July class, who have not been contacted for a class. And before you ask, yes, they've got their bid in.

Foxcow
08-07-2007, 09:29 AM

A CFI who was hired with 600 hours one (or even two) years ago doesn't have the required upgrade time...so he gets bypassed and a very junior pilot with previous experience at another regional, military, 135, etc gets to upgrade now.

The downside is that when the CFI does get the time, he will upgrade on top of (senior to) the experienced pilot who took the eraly upgrade. The early-upgrader will be on reserve for a LONG time as senior people keep coming in on top of him...

thats not the point, there are many people ahead of him seniority wise that have the time to upgrade.

Koolaidman
08-07-2007, 08:19 PM
It amazes that you people are still shocked by what TSA Holdings and Mesa get away with. They are shtty companies and the union provides limited protection. Until you work for a good airline, you won't know the difference.