Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Internship?

captnskyhawk
08-09-2007, 12:47 PM
hey guys, im a college senior lookin to intern with a major in the spring, but i can't decide which one. my top three are NWA, CAL, and AAL, any suggestions?

threegreen
08-09-2007, 01:26 PM
take the first one that accepts you. if all three take you, you know that CAL and NWA are hiring this second.

rickair7777
08-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Great opportunity, I know ex-interns who got hired at CAL (at the minimums) and at NWA. I assume AA does the same.

wally24
08-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Go for Delta Flight Ops, it's also paid.

scrapdog
08-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Look into flying in the military - I can garauntee you much better than any internship deal any day of the week.

FlyerJosh
08-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Which one do you want to work for in a few years as a pilot? That's the company that I would choose. If you don't forsee yourself ever working for any of the carriers, then I would find a different internship.

Proptrash
08-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Hey Scrapdog,
I got a TCAS alert today from an F22 taking off from Hill AFB as I was on the visual for 16R into SLC. . . .It was a beautiful sight! Was that you? LOL

maximaman
08-09-2007, 07:26 PM
What kind of work do you do at a intern position for the airlines? Do you need a certain degree?

Superpilot92
08-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Just dont intern at a regjonal. I did and yes it helped me get my current job but I could have gotten that without the intership. If you do an internship make sure its with a Major you want to work for. If i did it all over again i would push for an internship with UPS. 2 cents worth

CloudPilot57
08-09-2007, 08:29 PM
agree with above, you can intern at a regional and it may get you a JOB, intern at a major and it may get you a CAREER... this summer I am doing an NWA internship, actually done next friday. I was on the 757 fleet. Various tasks assigned to the aircraft/crews, attended indoc, groundschool, flew the sims, made some videos for the FAA and IP's, made some great contacts and a guaranteed interview with mesaba, have mine in april! Overall it has been a great experience, got my high alt. endorsement there as well. The only downside is they got rid of the jumpseat privliges which is a bummer, but replaced it with the guaranteed interview; so it is too bad. M-F, usually around 9am-2,3,4pm or kind of when I feel like showing up and going home. It is unpaid so they understand. You do get a non-rev for every 30 days you work. Any more questions PM me.
Sorry for spelling, it is late and I am too tired to re-read, lol

airventure
08-09-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm just finishing up an internship with AA. I worked within American Eagle Flight Training. A lot of work was just doing odds and ends that happen in every office (copies, emails, organizing). However, my primary job has been filling out 8710 forms and temporary airman certificates for everybody passing through. The best part of the internship is the benefits you get. I've spent several hours in the CRJ-700 and Boeing 737 sim. I went on about 25 free flights on the weekends and I get four more roundtrips this fall. I also made some incredibly valuable contacts within American Eagle. I know for sure I'd get an interview once I meet the requirements. If you have any questions...just let me know.

-Brett

HPilot
08-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Go for Delta Flight Ops, it's also paid.

It's good to hear that. I remember being offered an internship at the same time I was offered a twin job. The internship was unpaid slave labor for 3-4 months. The twin job paid $35,000 a yr. + health insurance. I politely told the major to "take this job and shove it".

newKnow
08-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Go with the first one that hires you. Don't forget to get that flight time though. :rolleyes:

captnskyhawk
08-11-2007, 05:00 AM
scrapdog, what is involved in flying for the ANG after I graduate college

HercDriver130
08-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Guard OCS.....then UPT... then transition training...THEN back to your unit... probably 18-24 months essentially on active duty to get through everything and qualified.

captnskyhawk
08-11-2007, 06:07 AM
how would I get started with the application process for that? should i contact a recruiter?

BoilerUP
08-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Lots of internships (non-regional) will help you get a job down the road.

If you want an honest-to-God great experience that will help your career and have you doing things well above of making copies and coffee, I'd highly suggest the UPS Co-op in Louisville.

It will take you a year, but you will not regret it...TRUST ME!

⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
08-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Lots of internships (non-regional) will help you get a job down the road.

If you want an honest-to-God great experience that will help your career and have you doing things well above of making copies and coffee, I'd highly suggest the UPS Co-op in Louisville.

It will take you a year, but you will not regret it...TRUST ME!

From what I've heard from numerous people, including BoilerUp - UPS co-op is a great internship (co-op) and it's paid as well.

skyknight
08-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Are you a recruiter? Your answer to every post is.....

Look into flying in the military - I can garauntee you much better than any internship deal any day of the week.

scrapdog
08-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Are you a recruiter? Your answer to every post is.....

I'm not a recruiter in the least, but the military has treated me great in throughout much of my life. It has provided a lot of leadership experiences, awesome flying (and something you'll never be able to do in the civilian world), and most importantly an amazing feeling of pride knowing you're defending your country - and having a blast doing it. So, if that's the def. of a recruiter - well, maybe I am.

What' the point here? The point is, is that a young kid is asking how to start down an aviation road in his life. Instead of interning at an airline - try something that is not available in any civilian facet - flying jets for the military. Airlines and flying for freight will be around for the forseeable future. He can do that as a side job while doing the ANG/Res or he can do that after he gets does a very rewarding career as a 20 year officer/aviator with a very nice pention on the side. The ability to be a millitary aviator won't be available to him for the forseeable future - and the window of opportunity is narrow, both in age and physical condition.

BoilerUP
08-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Not everybody who wants to be a military pilot is able to be a military pilot.

Most anybody that wants an airline internship can get one.

scrapdog
08-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Not everybody who wants to be a military pilot is able to be a military pilot.

Most anybody that wants an airline internship can get one.

Boiler - very good point...and one I addressed. Looking at the end of my prior post you see I said that his military window of opportunity is narrow - both in age and physical condition.

BoilerUP
08-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Now don't go clouding the issue with facts...

scrapdog
08-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Now don't go clouding the issue with facts...

Boiler - you know me...from here and other forums. I'm a pretty factual kind of person - it's amazing what facts will do for ya huh? Especially when you don't want to hear them!! ;)

BoilerUP
08-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Can you tell I'm still bitter about the whole "Sorry, but your interocular pressure is a fuzz high, and because you might possibly at some point in the future maybe develop glaucoma you are DISQUALIFIED - NO WAIVER FOR YOU!" experience I had at Brooks?

And to think I had been hiding it sooooooooo well...:D

captnskyhawk
08-12-2007, 05:24 PM
thanks for your input scrapdog, im definitely interested in the ANG after I graduate college. the internship would happen while im still in school, then after I graduate in may '08 id go into the ANG. what all is involved in joining? i filled out somethin on the ANG website and said a recruiter would call me

taylorjets
08-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Spirit has a post for an internship on the website.