Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : CAL pilots ugrading FAST!!!!

ewrbasedpilot
08-13-2007, 04:11 PM
The latest bid shows the most junior Captain slot going to a pilot on the seniority list with 1 year and 11 months. Things are moving very quickly with most newhires being on reserve on the B737 for 2-3 WEEKS (EWR based pilots)!!!!! Get those LOR's and applications online in as we'll be ginning up the hiring again in September. I believe they're talking about 60-80 a month INDEFINITELY when they start up again. Good luck everyone.

UnlimitedAkro
08-13-2007, 04:24 PM
hey just curious how competitive this is for a interview or even a job at CAL??

3500 TT
0 PIC Turb. =(
1800 SIC Multi Turb.
2500 Multi
1200 PIC
200 Inst.
4 year Aero Sci Degree

BoilerUP
08-13-2007, 04:29 PM
You never know if you don't apply...

JoeyMeatballs
08-13-2007, 05:00 PM

3500 TT
0 PIC Turb. =(
1800 SIC Multi Turb.
2500 Multi
1200 PIC
200 Inst.
4 year Aero Sci Degree

You involved with the union, any other aspect of the company, community service etc...................have you gone to any job fairs and personally handed them your resume?..............

NGINEWHOISWHAT
08-13-2007, 05:01 PM

3500 TT
0 PIC Turb. =(
1800 SIC Multi Turb.
2500 Multi
1200 PIC
200 Inst.
4 year Aero Sci Degree

You have a 100% chance of being shot down if you don't apply. Don't defeat yourself.

Tom

ewrbasedpilot
08-13-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure what the qualifications are, but they now require a 4 year degree, and you MUST have flown with a CAL pilot who can recommend you. As far as I know, they will no longer interview pilots who haven't flown with someone recommending them. Guess they got had a few pilots who had trouble in training...............(JMHO). You have to apply online.....go to www.continentalairlines.com and look and the dropdown menus for job opportunities (About CAL on the far right side of the menus). Good luck.

FliFast
08-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Good words of wisdom...apply or you'll never know. However, can anyone give a ballpark of what are competitive minimums....what quals seem to be the benchmarks in the newhire classes (if it's possible to decipher such)..thanks.

FF

JoeyMeatballs
08-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Good words of wisdom...apply or you'll never know. However, can anyone give a ballpark of what are competitive minimums....what quals seem to be the benchmarks in the newhire classes (if it's possible to decipher such)..thanks.

FF

Your not thinking of leaving Brown are ya:confused:

johnso29
08-13-2007, 05:43 PM
The latest bid shows the most junior Captain slot going to a pilot on the seniority list with 1 year and 11 months. Things are moving very quickly with most newhires being on reserve on the B737 for 2-3 WEEKS (EWR based pilots)!!!!! Get those LOR's and applications online in as we'll be ginning up the hiring again in September. I believe they're talking about 60-80 a month INDEFINITELY when they start up again. Good luck everyone.

And their QOL has got to SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UnlimitedAkro
08-13-2007, 05:45 PM
You involved with the union, any other aspect of the company, community service etc...................have you gone to any job fairs and personally handed them your resume?..............

I have not made a resume since I was hired at Eagle. I figured I would ride out the 8-9 year upgrade, get the PIC time and go somewhere. The upgrade is coming down and I already have 2.5 years in it... but if I thought I had a shot at CAL I would give it 100%. Problem is, I thought I had no chance with ZERO PIC turbine time. I know you have no chance without sending the resume. I just wanted to hear if those times are realistic or not from someone at CAL who knows what is going on...

Saab arent you trying to go to CAL??! Do you plan on upgrading at EX-J before going for CAL???

Ottopilot
08-13-2007, 05:51 PM

It's all relative. My worst day at CAL is always better than the best day at XJT. I was at XJT nine years, so I know. Life is better and the pay is better. The position 737 CA in EWR went junior for many reasons. I'm looking forward to being a CA again. I can sit reserve at home.

JoeyMeatballs
08-13-2007, 06:24 PM
I have not made a resume since I was hired at Eagle. I figured I would ride out the 8-9 year upgrade, get the PIC time and go somewhere. The upgrade is coming down and I already have 2.5 years in it... but if I thought I had a shot at CAL I would give it 100%. Problem is, I thought I had no chance with ZERO PIC turbine time. I know you have no chance without sending the resume. I just wanted to hear if those times are realistic or not from someone at CAL who knows what is going on...

Saab arent you trying to go to CAL??! Do you plan on upgrading at EX-J before going for CAL???

To be completely honest I have already "applied" to CAL via Airline Apps. I meet the minimums, but like you, have no PIC in turbine A/C, but that is not going to stop me from meeting as many CAL pilots as I can, and handing my resume to anybody I can that may help me get a job. I am getting involved with the union, not only can I meet people there, but hey looks good on the resume. I do community service around my hometown, I know it doesn't make me a better pilot, but makes me more of a "well-rounded" individual. I plan on going to the all of the job fairs I can.
-------CAL recruiter, "hey Joe, nice to meet you, but there are far more qualified applicants etc.............
--------Me, "thanks for your time, and Ill keep trying till you guys call"

I have flown with a lot of CA's already that are going/went to CAL, that "say" they will be happy to write me a letter, but finding someone to actually walk my stuff in might be challenging, but if I can't I would be more than happy to head down to the EWR chief Pilots office and introduce myself. Sure its a long shot and I am sure he has more important things to do than listen to me tell him why I want to go CAL, but I have to do everything that is in my power to get an an interview there :)

rant over

LR45DRIVER
08-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Thank you for your interest in joining the Continental team. Continental anticipates continued growth and significant hiring through 2007 and beyond.

The following are the minimum qualifications to apply for a pilot position:

* 1,500 hours fixed-wing total flight time
* 1,000 hours fixed-wing PIC time, or 500 hours PIC time and 500 hours SIC time in a turbojet
* 1,000 hours fixed-wing turbine time
* 1,000 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time (civilian or military) or 1,000 hours single-engine military fighter jet time
* A current ATP written exam
* A current first class FAA medical
* A current passport
* A Bachelor's degree is highly desired

robthree
08-13-2007, 07:05 PM
I know of at least three Xjet guys hired at CAL with zero Turbine PIC, and have heard of many Eagle FO's hired at CAL as well, presumably also lacking turbine PIC. The X-jet FOs I know who went over did have rock solid connections... which appears to be the sole criteria to moving your resume from the big pile to the short pile.

whiskerbizkit
08-14-2007, 07:32 AM

3500 TT
0 PIC Turb. =(
1800 SIC Multi Turb.
2500 Multi
1200 PIC
200 Inst.
4 year Aero Sci Degree

You are a shooin with that 0 PIC time. They love that when contract time comes around they have no choice but to vote yes.

JoeyMeatballs
08-14-2007, 07:48 AM
You are a shooin with that 0 PIC time. They love that when contract time comes around they have no choice but to vote yes.

hahaha thats funny............

citationdrvrmob
08-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Can they really predict to hire that many pilots, and all new hires have internal recs?

ewrbasedpilot
08-14-2007, 11:27 AM

Life is what you make it........................ The worst day of flying at a mainline carrier beats unemployment by far. Sure, there's the perpetual complainers that think everyone owes them a living, but every company has them. I haven't flown with too many newhires that can't believe how good life has been for them at CAL. 2 weeks on reserve as a newhire isn't a bad way to start a career, and less than two years to captain is almost unheard of in this day and age. I'll take that QOL ANY day!:p

ewrbasedpilot
08-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Can they really predict to hire that many pilots, and all new hires have internal recs?

Yes, and yes all newhires have internal recs. They want to hire pilots who are "known" to the CAL employees. A few bad apples got in and so the hiring process continues to be refined. It is pretty classy though to call your friend and offer them a job. I think CAL is one of the only carriers doing that.

citationdrvrmob
08-14-2007, 11:46 AM
So I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to work for XJet for the next 200 hours to meet and greet until I meet CAL mins?

JoeyMeatballs
08-14-2007, 11:54 AM
So I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to work for XJet for the next 200 hours to meet and greet until I meet CAL mins?

haha may take longer than that, I have been here almost a year and have met a "handful" of people that left here to go there, and yes they would "write" me a letter, but its the Senior CA you need to meet to actually take time and "walk" your stuff in, not to mention I don't know how many of them would want to walk a resume in telling HR to hire this person who has no PIC Turbine, Hey not going to stop me, but just saying :).........................

citationdrvrmob
08-14-2007, 06:44 PM
I've got plenty of the TPIC, just need to network until I get the 1000 turbine time if I plan on going to Delta or CAL.