Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

ERJdude
08-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Just trying to gain some information with this pilot group. We all know it is bad, but just how bad is it?? Anyone with info on both the USAIR and CACTUS QOL??? Also, how will this pan out with the new seniority list and contract talks?

Riddler
08-15-2007, 05:12 AM
I have a very good friend that's about to hit the 25 year mark at US. Prior to 9/11, he was a very senior Capt on the A320. Now, he's midway up the A330FO list in Charlotte.

There seems to be a lot of animocity over there - huge pay cuts, no A fund, etc. He said that there were some senior furloughed guys (approx 15 years at US) who were recalled and are now junior to all the AWA guys. There also seems to be some tension because US posted better numbers than AWA last quarter, and it seems to be a "who's helping who" situation.

I don't know much else, and this is obviously 2nd hand info, so take it for what it's worth. Take a look at the pay scales on airlinepilotcentral, I think they speak for themselves.

alwaysflying
08-15-2007, 07:42 AM
In regards to the financial information that is being posted about US Air and AWA. That information is really approx. numbers that the company reports to the SEC. In September, third quarter 10Q filing, the reporting of the separate financials will disappear.

Second QOL, on the West side is pretty good. A reserve gets 12 to 13 days off, depending if its a 30 or 31 day month. Lineholders are getting anywhere from the minimum, 12/13, to 16 days off. Depends on the schedule you get and where you are in seniority.

Most reserve pilots in the summer have been flying alot, most making above guarantee. The staffing is tight, so at times during the month, their is some jr/sr man assignments.

How is the seniority issue going to work out....Only time will tell. Beyond that I can't even predict, my crystal ball broke.

iflyjets4food
08-15-2007, 07:43 AM
How long before all the furloughees are called back?

IronWalt
08-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Ummm lets see,

1. Hired in 1989 and still a reserve FO.
2. worst pay scale in the industry.
3. company is cutting back mainline flying.
4. Gaggle of Snot nosed AWA 2005 hires that want to take my meager seniority
5. Union turmoil due to tossing out of ALPA process going on.
6. Everyone you fly with is poed and in bad mood.

Ummm yeah, its a party over here. Put in your app today. NOT!!!

ERJdude
08-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Wow, couldn't imagine it was really that bad...25 years and only an A330 FO?!?!?! yikes!

Hacker15e
08-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Ummm lets see,

1. Hired in 1989 and still a reserve FO.
2. worst pay scale in the industry.
3. company is cutting back mainline flying.
4. Gaggle of Snot nosed AWA 2005 hires that want to take my meager seniority
5. Union turmoil due to tossing out of ALPA process going on.
6. Everyone you fly with is poed and in bad mood.

Ummm yeah, its a party over here. Put in your app today. NOT!!!

It could be worse....you could be unemployed and on the street with USAirways no longer in business.

Typhoonpilot
08-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Wow, couldn't imagine it was really that bad...25 years and only an A330 FO?!?!?! yikes!

That would be by choice as A330 F.O. pay is about the same as a narrow body captain and the quality of life might be better. Two good friends of mine did that for awhile as well even thought they had been Captain for 10 years already.

TP

IronWalt
08-15-2007, 09:08 AM
With two businesses going I will "NEVER" be unemployed. I will always have a roof over my head, food on the table and clients to serve. I will never ever depend on an airline for my only income ever again.

ZapBrannigan
08-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Of 1800 furloughees only 20-30% have accepted recall.

Before you apply there, ask why.

cactusmike
08-17-2007, 11:35 PM
We are shortstaffed out West, but the last bid has 40 upgrades. There will be 20 F/O slots out West for returning furloughees or (hopefully) new hires. We had a very busy summer with full jets and lots of open time for the 'bus fleet. In the 757 I hold a line about halfway up the list. My line for September is 79 hours with 15 days off, mostly 2 day trips with one 3 day and a 4 day at the end of the month so I can surf in SNA (HB).

The West workrules and pay are better than the East (except for widebody pay, the East pays more but their workrules suck). We were negotiating a joint contract that would have raised everyone's pay (the East would have had about a 25% increase) but they have refused to accept the seniority list award that was decided in binding arbitration and so they have pulled out of the joint negotiating process so who knows when they will get a raise.

Us Air has been a crap company ever since they gutted PSA and Piedmont. I worked for the old Piedmont (subsidiary) and I cringed when US Air bought them. Nothing in the last 20 years has changed my mind. I was hopeful when we bought UsAir, thinking our management could cut costs and lean out a bloated pig but now I just wish it would all go away with Parker selling the airline in pieces. He has said to a number of our pilots that he feels the 'coyote ugly' urge - he got in bed with a girl so ugly that he would rather chew his arm off than wake her.

The stupidity I see every time I read another East LEC or MEC posting is beyond belief. I know that there are smart pilots there, I just don't hear anything from them. If Garland Jones , Jack Stephan and Chip Munn are the best you have then there is a major problem. They have lied to the East pilot group and continue to put out nonsense that will end up with ALPA National coming in and appointing a trustee MEC until sanity is restored.

So, bottom line, if you want to come work for the New US Airways, be sure you get to go West. The East will not be a happy place to be until the union leadership wakes up and decides that the fight is with management, not the West. AWA management has proved that USAir could be salvaged, The AAA pilots are proving that they still haven't learned anything when it comes to mergers and ALPA.

HPilot
08-18-2007, 03:17 PM
We are shortstaffed out West, but the last bid has 40 upgrades. There will be 20 F/O slots out West for returning furloughees or (hopefully) new hires. We had a very busy summer with full jets and lots of open time for the 'bus fleet. In the 757 I hold a line about halfway up the list. My line for September is 79 hours with 15 days off, mostly 2 day trips with one 3 day and a 4 day at the end of the month so I can surf in SNA (HB).

The West workrules and pay are better than the East (except for widebody pay, the East pays more but their workrules suck). We were negotiating a joint contract that would have raised everyone's pay (the East would have had about a 25% increase) but they have refused to accept the seniority list award that was decided in binding arbitration and so they have pulled out of the joint negotiating process so who knows when they will get a raise.

Us Air has been a crap company ever since they gutted PSA and Piedmont. I worked for the old Piedmont (subsidiary) and I cringed when US Air bought them. Nothing in the last 20 years has changed my mind. I was hopeful when we bought UsAir, thinking our management could cut costs and lean out a bloated pig but now I just wish it would all go away with Parker selling the airline in pieces. He has said to a number of our pilots that he feels the 'coyote ugly' urge - he got in bed with a girl so ugly that he would rather chew his arm off than wake her.

The stupidity I see every time I read another East LEC or MEC posting is beyond belief. I know that there are smart pilots there, I just don't hear anything from them. If Garland Jones , Jack Stephan and Chip Munn are the best you have then there is a major problem. They have lied to the East pilot group and continue to put out nonsense that will end up with ALPA National coming in and appointing a trustee MEC until sanity is restored.

So, bottom line, if you want to come work for the New US Airways, be sure you get to go West. The East will not be a happy place to be until the union leadership wakes up and decides that the fight is with management, not the West. AWA management has proved that USAir could be salvaged, The AAA pilots are proving that they still haven't learned anything when it comes to mergers and ALPA.

Totally agree. Stay far away from the East operation, unless you're: a)stupid b)enjoy following stupid people off a cliff c)really frigin stupid

A320fumes
08-18-2007, 03:33 PM
binding:rolleyes: ............................Don't think so

Hate it when those windfalls don't bind. Good luck USAirways.

HPilot
08-18-2007, 09:01 PM
:rolleyes: ............................Don't think so

Hate it when those windfalls don't bind. Good luck USAirways.

2-4 yrs is the longest the suit will last before it's thrown out. Sorry, but the arbitration was binding, get over it already.:rolleyes:

A320fumes
08-19-2007, 06:25 AM
2-4 yrs is the longest the suit will last before it's thrown out. Sorry, but the arbitration was binding, get over it already.:rolleyes:

I like both pilot groups. Hope you last that long. Though, Doug P will probably merge you again. Watch out.....What come around...........

HPilot
08-19-2007, 06:55 PM
I like both pilot groups. Hope you last that long. Though, Doug P will probably merge you again. Watch out.....What come around...........

You're right he probably will. What makes you think I plan on sticking around long enough to find out? My parachutes on and I'm half way out the door. Too bad, it was(AWA) and could have been a great place to work.

Riddler
08-21-2007, 10:20 AM
That would be by choice as A330 F.O. pay is about the same as a narrow body captain and the quality of life might be better. Two good friends of mine did that for awhile as well even thought they had been Captain for 10 years already.

TP

My buddy (25 yrs) could hold a line as an narrowbody Captain, but he'd have to commute, and he'd work twice as hard for something like 15% more money. So he chose QOL over pay.

kalymnos
08-25-2007, 07:23 PM
I just talked to 2 friends at U and there words were "an unprecedented level of misery and disgust that has never been seen in the history of airlines" .......cant wait to apply LOL...