Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Delta announces new CEO

Roll Inverted and Pull
08-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Anderson...comes from NorthWest, already on Delta`s board...more to follow...

acl65pilot
08-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Looks official. We will see IF we get new birds or a new paint job.

Split S
08-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Looks official. We will see IF we get new birds or a new paint job.

What does that mean? :confused:

Xray678
08-21-2007, 11:59 AM
What does that mean? :confused:

it means we'll see if we order new airplanes or merge with NWA.

N2rotation
08-21-2007, 01:57 PM
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/primenewswire/125357.htm

From what I've heard he was good for NWA.

Tinpusher007
08-21-2007, 02:04 PM
What do the incumbent DAL guys and gals think about this guy? I would also like to hear what NWA people have to say about him.

John Pennekamp
08-21-2007, 02:22 PM
YGBFKM! The guy who presided over NWA's sink into bankruptcy and lead up to labor hell is going to run Delta?

Another mis-manager washes up again. Why is airline management such a revolving door? It's the only industry where you can totally screw up and get promoted or rehired for the same position at another company.

Sad. There's just no accountability in the screwed up industry.

Tinpusher007
08-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Ok, I guess that sheds some light on my question!

CVG767A
08-21-2007, 02:52 PM
I don't know a thing about this guy. Any NWA guys care to comment?

vagabond
08-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Wonder if Ed Bastien and Jim Whitehurst will resign? Being on the board of a multimillion dollar organization, I can tell you that boards tend to go outside when looking for a new leader. Oldtimers get upset and either leave or suck it up. The sucking will go so long before they are tired of it all. Hiring an executive search firm (which we also did on my board) adds another dimension and complexity. Whatever the case, I wish Delta the best.

Richard Anderson? Isn't that McGyver, an actor of some renown? :p Chuck Norris with brains?

IXLR8
08-21-2007, 04:43 PM
And, he is looking at expanding to Asia....what a shock there...He knows the importance of Asia from his time at nwa...

YAKflyer
08-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Wonder if Ed Bastien and Jim Whitehurst will resign?

Bastien will be president and no news on Whitehurst for now......

Flare Armed
08-21-2007, 05:30 PM
I feel bad for Whitehurst. Seems to have a lot of passion for the airline business....hopefully he'll stay.

So our new CEO is McGyver?

I can't get on our ALPA BB....must be overloaded!

Bucking Bar
08-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Delta has been working to fix a revenue problem and making good progress. Jim Whitehurst is responsible for much of that improvement.

Further, Jim Whitehurst connected with many employees who had their pride restored in Delta Air Lines. This was being reflected in the customers' favorable experiences when travelling on Delta.

I'm hopeful that there is some good news in this somewhere for Whitehurst and that he will keep up the good job at Delta.

Flare Armed
08-21-2007, 06:31 PM
I have to say in my experiences flying CEOs around while furloughed, Whitehurst simply wasn't tall enough.

MrSuupafly
08-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Wonder if Ed Bastien and Jim Whitehurst will resign? Being on the board of a multimillion dollar organization, I can tell you that boards tend to go outside when looking for a new leader. Oldtimers get upset and either leave or suck it up. The sucking will go so long before they are tired of it all. Hiring an executive search firm (which we also did on my board) adds another dimension and complexity. Whatever the case, I wish Delta the best.

Richard Anderson? Isn't that McGyver, an actor of some renown? :p Chuck Norris with brains?

Isn't McGyver Richard Dean Anderson? AKA Colonel Jonathan "Jack" O'Neill. ;)

newKnow
08-21-2007, 09:28 PM
What a coincidence. :rolleyes:

dba74
08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Whitehurst is rumored to be going to Virgin America to replace Fred Reid who must leave w/in 6 months

ITSALLGOOD
08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
FWIW...Businessweek.com reports Whitehurst notified them " I have not resigned, and I have no intention of resigning".

Rhino Driver
08-22-2007, 11:37 AM
FWIW...Businessweek.com reports Whitehurst notified them " I have not resigned, and I have no intention of resigning".

Here's the post: http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/aug2007/db20070821_294050.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index _businessweek+exclusives

Split S
08-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Good article, Rhino. Thanks.

sully606
08-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Does anyone have info on Mr. Anderson's years at Continental? He was Staff VP and General Counsel under Frank Lorenzo from 1987-1990 and left about the same time as Lorenzo's retirement.

correcting
08-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Oh I can see it now. Delta guys are gonna get scammed. Remember the whole "keep Delta our Delta" routine that management was cheerleading when USAirways was knocking on the door? Well do you think management will still be touting "keep Delta our Delta" when they decide to have a friendly discussion with NWA about merging? I doubt it. I can't wait to hear Delta management tripping all over themselves when trying to explain their way out of that one.

The employees will be hung out to dry yet again while the top managers at NWA and Delta will be paid millions in retention bonuses or retirement packages after the successful merger. And what will ALPA do about it.......uh, nothing.

Molon Labe
08-22-2007, 06:12 PM
To sum up Richard Anderson from an NWA employee stand point, he is a bit nicer in tone than the guy we have now. (Steenland) But he was an attorney at Continental for Lorenzo and that should not be forgotten. He will have a lot more charm than your average CEO and will probably approach the MEC with a "Hi I am Richard and we can work togather!" and then he will do something nice, at some cost to "prove" his sincerity. Then he will be nice for a short to medium time (a few months) then all of his 2nd tier managers will "contain costs" and they will play the part of villain. Mr Anderson will generally play the role of the popular commanding officer and will have his henchmen do all the foul stuff.... And they will... Good luck over there and watch out for the smile on his face it means his hand is in your wallet!

vagabond
08-22-2007, 06:24 PM
There are good lawyers and there are bad lawyers. And then there are lawyers who turn management. Hope for the best, but always expect the worst. Learn the fine art of negotiation. Anticipate his next moves, because he will have many of those. Stay united as a group. Know what you want. Ask yourself if you can do something to effect change from within. Good luck.

CVG767A
08-23-2007, 04:38 AM
Oh I can see it now. Delta guys are gonna get scammed. Remember the whole "keep Delta our Delta" routine that management was cheerleading when USAirways was knocking on the door? Well do you think management will still be touting "keep Delta our Delta" when they decide to have a friendly discussion with NWA about merging? I doubt it. I can't wait to hear Delta management tripping all over themselves when trying to explain their way out of that one.

The employees will be hung out to dry yet again while the top managers at NWA and Delta will be paid millions in retention bonuses or retirement packages after the successful merger. And what will ALPA do about it.......uh, nothing.

Most of us understand that the KDMD campaign was specifically to keep us from merging with that mangy dog of an airline in PHX. We were all aware of the talks that occurred with NWA over the past year or so. This isn't a surprise, and it makes some strategic sense.

As was mentioned, we're going to have be careful with this guy. 1) He is a lawyer. 2) He learned this business from Lorenzo. 3) He comes from NWA, which isn't exactly the poster child for good mgmt./labor relations.

A number of NWA guys have told me that he's okay, but I'm bracing for the worst. I would have greatly preferred Whitehurst; I hope they can talk him into staying, though I don't know in what capacity.

CE750
08-23-2007, 05:19 AM
As was mentioned, we're going to have be careful with this guy. 1) He is a lawyer. 2) He learned this business from Lorenzo. 3) He comes from NWA, which isn't exactly the poster child for good mgmt./labor relations.

4) he's a health Insurance Company CEO...

What ever happened to when pilots and people with a passion for airplanes ran airlines? Guys like Bob Six, Howard Hughes, and Juan Trip, not to mention Collett Woolman?

Today it's all lawyers and bean counters... soon PE funds! HELP! :mad:

BrownClown
08-23-2007, 08:47 AM
YGBFKM! The guy who presided over NWA's sink into bankruptcy and lead up to labor hell is going to run Delta?

Another mis-manager washes up again. Why is airline management such a revolving door? It's the only industry where you can totally screw up and get promoted or rehired for the same position at another company.

Sad. There's just no accountability in the screwed up industry.

[I]I read a quote in some newspaper @2002. It said "Only in the airline industry and professional sports do they continue recycling washed up has-beens into positions of leadership".
That has to be one of the most accurate quotes I've seen in along time.

brucemcgehee
08-23-2007, 10:19 AM
So what will a merger with NWA, if it happens, mean to all the guys who are interviewing and getting hired by Delta right now?

Cheers,

Moose