Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Life on Reserve at NWA, Airtran

6string
08-23-2007, 05:44 AM
If one were to get hired at either of these companies, what kinda schedule might a junior reservist expect? Tryin' to get a handle on the QOL before committing too much time on the process.

Thanks,

SIX

Slice
08-23-2007, 06:33 AM
If one were to get hired at either of these companies, what kinda schedule might a junior reservist expect? Tryin' to get a handle on the QOL before committing too much time on the process.

Thanks,

SIX

I don't think QOL and NWA go hand in hand these days.

Eric Stratton
08-23-2007, 06:52 AM
I don't think QOL and NWA go hand in hand these days.

I don't think QOL and any airline go hand in hand anymore....:rolleyes:

filejw
08-23-2007, 08:15 AM
NWA 11 days off and you work most of the duty days.They do have a long (11 Hrs) and short ( 2:30 ) call but its bid on a daily basis depending on crew availability.

reddog25
08-23-2007, 11:44 AM
NWA 11 days off and you work most of the duty days.They do have a long (11 Hrs) and short ( 2:30 ) call but its bid on a daily basis depending on crew availability.

True. I have been with the Red tail for 20 years now. Most of it on reserve. (by choice) If you live in base, you can get senior on reserve pretty quickly. We are short handed right now, but I expect that it will return to the prior years. I flew maybe 50-60 hours on reserve. Guaranteed 75 hours pay. Usually more days not flying than a schedule (block) holder had off. Again, don't commute to reserve for the same reason. Sit around not flying.:)

Oldfreightdawg
08-23-2007, 01:56 PM
I just returned from a trip with an FO that quit NWA and came to work for AAL 5 years ago. He says he never regret it. That was 5 years ago, I can only imagine what it's like now. Good luck with that...

Molon Labe
08-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Reserve at NWA is alright if you live in your base because a lot of the time you don't fly. If you commute the odds of getting a release early or an extra day at home are poor at best under the current rules..... Some day Amnesty International will issue an opinion of condemnation with regardsto Nwa's reserve rules and reserve policies. The likelihood is in DTW you will do about 21 days a month of "Hot Reserve" and the "long call" tends to be symbolic only. A lot of it is up to the crew scheduler of the moment because I have seen some very creative interpretations of the contract by them.

newKnow
08-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Also, if you do get awarded "long call" you are the first to get a trip. So, it's really not reserve at all. It's just a way to go to the top of the list and assure you get a trip.

But, like Molon said, it's probably ok if you live in base.

6string
08-24-2007, 04:15 AM
Reserve at NWA is alright if you live in your base because a lot of the time you don't fly. If you commute the odds of getting a release early or an extra day at home are poor at best under the current rules..... Some day Amnesty International will issue an opinion of condemnation with regardsto Nwa's reserve rules and reserve policies. The likelihood is in DTW you will do about 21 days a month of "Hot Reserve" and the "long call" tends to be symbolic only. A lot of it is up to the crew scheduler of the moment because I have seen some very creative interpretations of the contract by them.

So in a nutshell, don't commute to reserve and expect to be treated like a dog. Hmmmm....Well that's sounds fairly normal for the airline biz. Got a rough guess of how many years to hold a line?

Boogie Nights
08-24-2007, 12:00 PM
At Airtran you are guaranteed 70 hours a month. You can do that easily and probably 110 if you want to push. You are 20 days reserve, 10 or 11 off. You can drop reserve days if you want provided they have reserve coverage. Pretty much forget dropping anything the 1st 5 days of the month. I start reserve in April. in all that time I have had 6 days where I sat reserve without being given a trip. And now the best news I was able to hold a build up line in July. So only 3 months on reserve. Bad news only domicile is Atl. This will have to change soon as we are growning too fast not to have gate space elsewhere. Upgrade times??? it seems like most of the guy filling upgrade classes for the 737 are 717 capts changing seats. I wonder if this is a sign of things to come. I have to imagine Joe and the gang that run this show are in one strategic meeting after another since Northwest bought Midwest.

Stetson20
08-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Boogie- so are they overmanned with 717 CAs?

Boogie Nights
08-24-2007, 07:48 PM
We are not overmanned in any planes. They are going to be hiring about 300 new FOs. It is middle senority Capt's hired in the late 90's-early 2000's that seem to be jumping AC. I am not sure if it is because they are neverous where the company is going, and want a more marketable type ( I don't think so), nervous about the potential merger with Midwest, and did not want to have to be involved in the 717 fleet merger, Or they just like flying the longer haul routes to the west coast. Either way it will be 5 years or longer to upgrade. That is not bad compared to something (estimates I heard) 17 years at Delta, 8 years at Alaska or SWA.

I know some guys switched because they do not like the 717 training department which is supposedly very old school (ie build the plane as well as fly it). Questions like what type of wire holds up the indicator that lets you know wheather there was a tail scrape or not. Not in the FOM.

737 training department is awesome. I have never felt so well prepared for a checkride. My Thanks to Benny D. Air Tran is a good company but seems to suffer as most airlines do with a discord between what the employees want and what management wants!

atpcliff
08-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi!

The latest posts I read about the DAL's latest bids, was that 1999 guys would get a captain bid. Since DAL just hired guys this year (2007), the new hires would be 3 years from upgrade, if the 1999 thing holds up.

cliff
YIP

flytank
09-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Actually, to correct Boogie Nights the upgrades are right on at 3 years, even a tad less (717), I'm going on 3 years and 1 month and already bypassed it twice. As for the 737 indeed most are lateral transfers from the 717 but true upgrades from the right seat are expected to increase by the beginning of next year as we resume 737 deliveries.

As for the type of wire on the 717 tail skid he's right !!! They ask some weird stuff at the schoolhouse but it's really no big deal. I'm on the 717 (only one 737 on property when I started) and will vouch for the comment LOL. Welcome to AirTran Boogie Nights by the way !!!!

Boogie Nights
09-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Glad to be here. My life will be much better as Air Tran moves west. I commute from LAX

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1