Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : NWA Pilot Application Process

citationdrvrmob
08-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi Everyone,
I just got the email for invitation to complete the pilot application process. I'm trying to fill out the flight time grid, but it doesn't have a place for hours flown before receiving the private license. This means either having to put it in an "Other SIC" column, or leaving it out altogether (making total time about 60 hours less). Anyone have any suggestions?

careerpilot
08-23-2007, 09:32 AM
I left it out.

LR45DRIVER
08-23-2007, 09:54 AM
I did too. In all honesty, I don't think the airlines care about hours up to your private license. It does ding you of a few hours, but oh well...the cost of being a pilot. :D

pilotjonesg
08-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Yeh, I just got done doing the same thing, I think it left out a few hundred hours, but oh well. Any idea of when they will be reviewing these apps??

citationdrvrmob
08-23-2007, 10:32 AM
I decided to go ahead and not put them in the "Other SIC" column, but include it in the "Other Total" column. I don't think it will make much of a difference, but I will be more than happy to explain it in an interview :) The one thing that discouraged me a little was the 1000 turbine question. I don't have it quite yet, they don't list it in their mins, but why do they ask? Is it left over from an old hr app? I guess I'll find out...

reddog25
08-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi Everyone,
I just got the email for invitation to complete the pilot application process. I'm trying to fill out the flight time grid, but it doesn't have a place for hours flown before receiving the private license. This means either having to put it in an "Other SIC" column, or leaving it out altogether (making total time about 60 hours less). Anyone have any suggestions?

If you have to worry about 100 hours.....hmmmm:cool:

aircraftdriver
08-23-2007, 01:20 PM
So did anyone NOT get the invite to continue the application???

Or did NWA just ask everyone to continue!!??

citationdrvrmob
08-23-2007, 01:23 PM
No, I really don't have to worry about the 100 hours, just wanting to make sure everything is in there. I meet all the mins, and have some things they aren't asking for (like 650 jet pic), so I feel certain they will call me for the interview, just wanting to make sure all I's are dotted, T's are crossed, and "0's in the blank where hours are not applicable."

I also saw a figure today that said 25/month are retiring, anyone know if that is correct? With that many retiring, and the amount of senior guys who post here talking about leaving, it seems like a new guy might have a short reserve and gain seniority quickly?

ce650
08-23-2007, 01:31 PM
I got it and I don't have a four year degree, so I'm guessing everyone got it

Molon Labe
08-23-2007, 08:57 PM
With regards to 25 a month are retiring, No that is not quite right. The numbers are really hard to find but there is some word that about a pilot a day is leaving somehow. A lot of those who are retiring are relatively junior and are going elsewhere... Like FedEx or UPS. The most senior end is not retiring all that fast. The take is that If a guy can leave and has a lot of years to put in at NWA he is leaving. If he is senior he is stuck until he can come up with a better plan and sometimes that takes a while. A few very junior pilots have just walked in to the chief pilot's office and thrown down the ID and manuals and said "take this job and....."

LifeNtheFstLne
08-24-2007, 04:49 AM
I went to Compass. Day 1 of class they (NWA) announce hiring. Of course, I apply. It was the whole reason I (and most of my class) went to Compass. Will HR ignore my app now that I've put Compass on my work history? I'd imagine they don't want to step on Compass' toes and would rather force me into staying at CPS for 30 months to flow up (if ever). Like I said, I never would've gone to CPS if I'd known NWA would be hiring of the street with mins lower than what it took to get on at CPS as a Captain. This should be interesting if I get called for an interview...

citationdrvrmob
08-24-2007, 09:08 AM
With regards to 25 a month are retiring, No that is not quite right. The numbers are really hard to find but there is some word that about a pilot a day is leaving somehow. A lot of those who are retiring are relatively junior and are going elsewhere... Like FedEx or UPS. The most senior end is not retiring all that fast. The take is that If a guy can leave and has a lot of years to put in at NWA he is leaving. If he is senior he is stuck until he can come up with a better plan and sometimes that takes a while. A few very junior pilots have just walked in to the chief pilot's office and thrown down the ID and manuals and said "take this job and....."

I know there are alot of pilots that aren't happy with the management at NWA, but for me it seems to be a much better option with more potential than taking a job with a regional.

Molon Labe
08-24-2007, 10:49 AM
The point is that those pilots who are leaving are not just unhappy with management they are very unhappy with the quality of life at NWA. They don't like their jobs and are fixing the problem. Better to try for a different major airline or to a cargo carrier.

p1ayn
08-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Seems like a mass mailing. I received the same email yesterday as well. I submitted my app with times so we'll see what happens next. I agree with citationdrv that it may be better than regional. Time will tell...I know its time for me to move on from regionals before I croak..:)

pilotss
08-24-2007, 12:31 PM
I am sure we will see someone post if they get a call.

crewdawg52
08-25-2007, 04:01 AM
I also saw a figure today that said 25/month are retiring, anyone know if that is correct? With that many retiring, and the amount of senior guys who post here talking about leaving, it seems like a new guy might have a short reserve and gain seniority quickly?

Just checked the most recent "Flying Bulletin". From Jan '08 - May '08,
66 Capts & 8 F/O's are "planned" to retire ( reached 60). NOT 25 a month.

crewdawg52
08-25-2007, 04:03 AM
I went to Compass. Day 1 of class they (NWA) announce hiring. Of course, I apply. It was the whole reason I (and most of my class) went to Compass. Will HR ignore my app now that I've put Compass on my work history? I'd imagine they don't want to step on Compass' toes and would rather force me into staying at CPS for 30 months to flow up (if ever). Like I said, I never would've gone to CPS if I'd known NWA would be hiring of the street with mins lower than what it took to get on at CPS as a Captain. This should be interesting if I get called for an interview...

Sounds like you just lost around 30 -35 months of seniority.

LifeNtheFstLne
08-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Sounds like you just lost around 30 -35 months of seniority.

Gold star for Captain obvious!

Eric Stratton
08-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Gold star for Captain obvious!

then again you might never have gotten an interview or worse yet shot down....

GravellyPointer
08-25-2007, 07:57 PM

Hate to be prickly about it but that's a question you should have had answered before you started. It's safe to say IMO that you'll get tagged somewhere along the way as a Compass pilot and not permitted to continue the NW app/hiring process because you singed the paperwork and you have signed a training bond. NW owns Compass, and now Compass owns you bud.

Sorry to be so blunt. One reason that I myself turned down an offer from Compass was so I could apply to NW, cause I heard through the grapevine that the NW window was opening soon. Take your medicine and sleep in your bed, it's a brand new E-175 quick upgrade so it can't be that bad. Better than a rotting flight deck interior panels diesel 9. Of course the 9 has more character though.

goarmy
08-25-2007, 09:25 PM
the last post says it all......if you had your eye set on NWA.....waiting would have been the better idea.....a Compass pilot has to wait 30 months to flow up......in the mean time 30 months worth of hiring may happen......not a good position in my opinion....

aircraftdriver
08-25-2007, 09:56 PM
I've got nothing to back this up, but I could see NW mgmt signing a LOA with ALPA regarding some changes to the flow/seniority structure at NW. The 175s are going to be an integral part of the route system and we all know staffing is hard right now.

What could NW and/or Compass do to make the carrot look darn good?

How about you flow to NW (after 30months + Captain) at your actual years of service but still must start with a new NW seniority number. Looking at the pay scales for Compass and NW, that would entice many qualified guys to Compass (albeit, still not the guys who think they are/could be shoe ins at NW). A current Compass pilot loses on seniority integration at NW but wins in that he now has 2 viable long term options.

Inbluskyz
08-26-2007, 08:48 AM
I recently recieved the email from NW to continue the application process as well and noticed that it asked for total flight time within the previous 6 months. I have zero right now. I am currently in new hire training at a regional and it looks like I will be in an upgrade class by Nov. or Dec. Any suggestions as to when I should submit this application? Thanks!

pilotss
08-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Level D sim time might be valid. It is a great excuse to call , ask, and get some phone time.

erjpilot
08-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Has anyone been contacted to set up an interview or know someone who has? Just curious? thanks

Eric Stratton
08-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Has anyone been contacted to set up an interview or know someone who has? Just curious? thanks

I know a few...good people

IHateMgmt
08-28-2007, 06:38 AM

There's a handful here at XJ that were hired at NW just before 9/11 but never started class. They were (all, I believe) called for the first round of interviews. Yes, they had to go through the whole interview process again, but it sounds like it was a bit easier than their first interview.

maddogmax
08-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Looks like the first new hire class is SEP 24th.

Eric Stratton
08-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Looks like the first new hire class is SEP 24th.

any idea how big and how often classes will be?

maddogmax
08-28-2007, 05:42 PM
I don't know. I will make a few phone calls tomorrow and see if I can get more info.

citationdrvrmob
08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
So is it only the guys from pre-9/11 that are getting calls and going into this first class, or has anyone else gotten a phone call?

Eric Stratton
08-31-2007, 08:21 PM
So is it only the guys from pre-9/11 that are getting calls and going into this first class, or has anyone else gotten a phone call?

very very few of the pre 9-11 people are going. I know 5 people who interviewed in the past 2 weeks. according to them only 2 people were hired before.

johnso29
09-01-2007, 07:36 AM
If offered a job at a major, would anybody consider it a bad idea to go before you've obtained 1000PIC Turbine? Thinking NWA might not be a bad idea in the long run, but only sitting at about 500PIC turbine.

newKnow
09-01-2007, 04:21 PM
If offered a job at a major, would anybody consider it a bad idea to go before you've obtained 1000PIC Turbine? Thinking NWA might not be a bad idea in the long run, but only sitting at about 500PIC turbine.

Some would tell you to get where you are going to be as soon as possible. Every number counts. Six months senority is a BIG deal at the airlines.

From what I've seen, it only starts to not make a difference when you get towards the end of your carreer.

Sr. Barco
09-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Just make sure you don't want to fly for an airline that requires more than 500hours turbine PIC.

I have a friend who got hired at TWA at 24 years old with 0 PIC turbine. We all know what happened there. He was 30 years old looking for a job with a 757/767 type, 8,000+ hours including tons of international flying. He couldn't even apply to FedEx, UPS or Southwest. Turbine PIC is very valuable. Once you leave the left seat for a major you might not see the left again for 10-15 years.

Just my 2 cents.

S.B.

pilotss
09-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Agreed. We had a lot of guys at Indy who had a few thousand total and plenty of regional time but no PIC. They started back at the commuter level F/O again. Waiting for another year or two to start accumulating PIC.

I guess it depends on the companies you plan to apply. The plan can change with mergers and industry dynamics. Go for a plan that would cover you on the most options. PIC is still very valuable. On most if not all applications it is a seperate column.

Don't take our word. Call some recruiters and ask what they are looking for personally. Attend a job fair and ask them personally. Get the face time and make the contact.

PinnacleFO
09-03-2007, 05:22 PM
the beauty of nwa though is that once you get furloughed, you can go build your pic time at compass or mesaba!

makoshark72
09-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Just flew with 2 different capts who had different sources but the same numbers of hiring and retiring at NWA. First guy is active in training dept and was an interviewer last go round in mid 90's. He says about 50-60 guys/month (normal and early) are leaving, and NWA is quietly estimating the need to hire upwards of 1200 guys in the next year. The second guy coordinates the retirement "photos" that are posted in base check-ins, that all of us are supposed to sign..."best wishes" etc...He is preparing almost 60 a month.

Dont shoot the messenger here...just thought this would be interesting to some of you out there..

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1