Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Americans flying abroad

08-25-2007, 07:38 PM
What is needed for an American pilot (currently flying 121) to be able to fly for an airline overseas (i.e. italy,ireland,spain,new zealand, etc...). Would you need to become a resident of the EU to fly there, or can you get some sort of work permit? Thanks.

08-25-2007, 08:20 PM
You need some sort of work permit, but if the airline is desperate enough they will work that out for you. I know that CX has a deal for it freighter guys where they base you in HK, but your trips start and end in paris or london, so you can live there, but you dont actually work there...(gets around the work permit thing im told.) downside is you dont get hotels at either end.

08-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Well, if you want to fly in Europe, you will need the much valued JAA license. Most likely, you would qualify in the UK for a work permit. But the license is the key...doable, but lots of written testing, LOTS. Most of the rest of the world, especially Asia and the Middle East is an open book. Check the threads on the "Foreign" heading.

08-25-2007, 09:07 PM
If you find a way PM me!

They are very protective of their jobs. The obstacles are:

1. The JAA/R license. Kiss your FAA license goodbye because it's worth squat over there. Yes, I know we can fly in their airspace but we can't use our FAA license to work for an EU company. Best bet I know is Ryan. They are more a charter outfit (not the Irish Ryan). There is a company in Florida that converts your license to JAA/JAR. It is mostly online but it will take a long time. There is an agreement that the EU will revisit this policy about license translation but there is no time limit in the language of the agreement and it sits in Brussels dead.

2. You need a work permit and that is not easy to get. Even if you marry someone in the EU you are only allowed to work in the country your spouse lives. After 5 years you get an EU passport...then you can work anywhere in the EU.

3. Although English is the aviation language the application and interview will most likely not be in English. Having some PIC in a widebody or heavy is the best bet to have them bend the rules. And in some countries the flag carriers have a lot of leeway to do this but they have to be desperate to do it. Nationalism is much stronger in the EU.

If you have any ideas or leads I would be glad to hear them too.

08-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Some countrys hire through outside corp. that rent your job. TWA used to send pilots to Japan. The hitch is that these pilots fly to the U.S. to avoid the countrys labor laws. This is not always the case but is how it worked in the past.

08-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Not sure, but this might help.