Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : CAL Aug 28th Inrvw Any Word Yet?

IndyAir Guy
08-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Anyone interview on the 28th get the call yet? I am sitting here looking at the phone waiting for it to ring. Anyone interview around that time, how long did it take for you to get the call? If you dont get the job do they still call you or do you get the normal letter a month or so later?

Slice
08-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Wow, 40 or so hours and no call...how do you keep it together?:D Patience man, be glad it's not a SWA DB type wait! BTDT.

IndyAir Guy
08-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks, I know CAL has the fastest reply but it still doesnt help. Come on phone.... Ring damn you!!

By the way, what the heck is a "brown Viper"? A dirty F-16?

catIIIc
08-30-2007, 12:15 PM
A buddy of mine interviewed in EWR and then had his sim on the 22nd of Aug. They waited until Monday the 27th to call and tell him. You never know until you get the letter.

jdt30
08-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I think HR has taken over the hiring at CAL. The pilot that was running it is back on the line and instructing, and I don't recognize the lady running it now. As everyone knows once HR gets involved things tend to slow down at least the notification has.

IndyAir Guy
08-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys. It makes me feel a little better. Any ideas how long the letter takes?

jdt30
08-30-2007, 01:35 PM
I handed it over to Fed Ex this morning should see it tomorrow morning. Just kidding (don't know where the smiley face is). Sorry, but I have no idea. If you felt comfortable leaving the interview you should be okay. good luck.

Texandrvr
08-30-2007, 02:09 PM
I interview in EWR next week. Any current gouge on the questions they're asking? How long between the interview and the sim, assuming one passes the interview?

David Watts
08-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys. It makes me feel a little better. Any ideas how long the letter takes?

It took one day for them to call my sponsor and one more day for him to call me. So a total of two days from my interview to getting hired. I have heard of them taking up to a week to get calls out.

It also might depend where your sponsor is right now. Maybe they can't get to a phone and talk to the hiring department.

Good luck. The waiting does suck.

bearcat
08-30-2007, 04:30 PM
I think HR has taken over the hiring at CAL. The pilot that was running it is back on the line and instructing, and I don't recognize the lady running it now. As everyone knows once HR gets involved things tend to slow down at least the notification has.

You are WRONG!

SabreDriver
08-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks, I know CAL has the fastest reply but it still doesnt help. Come on phone.... Ring damn you!!

Oh No, DAL will tell you the same day, conditional offer:cool:, or "thanks for stopping by" :eek: Either way, you know before you leave the building on day one.

Beagle_Lover
08-31-2007, 04:34 AM
Indy, good luck! Hang in there.

jdt30
08-31-2007, 04:36 AM
You are WRONG!

Would you like to elaborate instead of just telling me I'm wrong.

ewrbasedpilot
08-31-2007, 04:57 AM
I interview in EWR next week. Any current gouge on the questions they're asking? How long between the interview and the sim, assuming one passes the interview?

A few things..........be on your best behavior.........EVERYWHERE. If you are non revving in for an interview or just driving, be advised that everyone from pilots to F/A's to gate agents are watching you. Be yourself and have a good time. They seem to recognize good people. My interview 9 years ago was a really enjoyable experience. Their were three pilots on the panel. The one who came to get me was as nice a guy as you could imagine. He made me feel at ease immediately. When I went in, all three pilots introduced themselves. The first pilot asked me about my life and flying background, the second asked technical questions, ie., "you've been cleared to hold on the IAH VOR (prounounced "Umble" BTW for whatever reason) on such and such a radial.........you are here, how will you enter holding?". He also asked me questions about the B727 since that was the plane I was flying at my current job. The third pilot was enamored that I listed "magic" as a hobby, so all he wanted to do was talk about magic. :p After about 30 minutes, they asked if I had any questions. I said no and then asked them if they'd like to see a few magic tricks. The third pilot asked why he had to drop so many hints to get me to ask that question. LOL I told them I was trying to keep the interview on a more professional level, but after the interview was over I'd be happy to show them some close-up magic. They all looked at each other, and the third pilot looked at the other two, said "hey guys interviews over, let's see some magic", so I proceeded to do 3 or 4 tricks for them. It was a GREAT interview, very laid back, yet very professional...........and best of all, done by pilots who understand who we are and what we do. Somehow I found out later that they knew I was also interviewing at DAL. But CAL offered the job to me a couple of days later, and I'm certainly glad I made the choice of coming to their fine airline. I ran into the first pilot on the panel a year or so later and he said he was glad to see I had chosed CAL since he knew I had been offered a job at DAL. BTW, the pilot who did my IOE was the "third pilot", so for three days I got to do magic to entertain him, and we both had a great time. Overall, the guys and gals at CAL are terrific to work with and the training is very good. They do expect you to know your stuff, but going to recurrent sims each year is a "no threat" environment. It really makes going to refresher enjoyable. One of the nice things that CAL does is have one of the pilots who recommended you call you to offer you the job. VERY CLASSY!! Have a good time at your interview and stay positive. Everything works out for the best! Good luck to you!

HercDriver130
08-31-2007, 08:02 AM
Just cant seem to get over the "internal rec" hump..... or should I just not worry about that and apply......

geshields
08-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Just cant seem to get over the "internal rec" hump..... or should I just not worry about that and apply......

Is that a joke? I didn't see a smiley!

Can't even get looked at if ya don't apply....:D

geshields
08-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Anyone interview on the 28th get the call yet? I am sitting here looking at the phone waiting for it to ring. Anyone interview around that time, how long did it take for you to get the call? If you dont get the job do they still call you or do you get the normal letter a month or so later?

I have personally been able to call 6 guys I recommended and it takes anywhere from 1 day to 3 days to give ya the call...

HercDriver130
08-31-2007, 01:05 PM
NO.. it was no joke, and I agree that you cant get looked at if you dont apply.... but all of the scuttlebut says that you WONT get an interview without an internal rec. So.. I just posted the question in the open for opinions.....

Texandrvr
09-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Anybody get any questions interpreting Jepps plates at the CAL interview? Just wondering if I should brush up.

Split S
09-01-2007, 10:57 AM
NO.. it was no joke, and I agree that you cant get looked at if you dont apply.... but all of the scuttlebut says that you WONT get an interview without an internal rec. So.. I just posted the question in the open for opinions.....

I wouldn't let the internal rec thing hold you up, you never know! While I had two internals at Delta (one who walked in) to help me get the interview/job, I also applied at SWA with no internals and also got offered the job with NO type rating and NO internal recs.

Bottom line - put your stuff in and take your chances - then prep your ass off and be on your best to insure you IMPRESS them in the interview.

Rec's will help you get the interview - but the INTERVIEW GETS YOU THE JOB.

IMHO

-SS

flybynuts
09-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Texandrvr,

From what I heard from several who have gone before me, the answer is no. However, we both know that you can't rule it out. I am hearing more questions like VDPs, when you can decsend below MDA/DH, what are slats, and the troposhere to name a few. When do you interview?

Spicy McHaggis
09-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Anybody get any questions interpreting Jepps plates at the CAL interview? Just wondering if I should brush up.

Mine, a couple years ago so I don't know if they changed it, was a STAR into SEA. Had to figure out top of decent from cruise altitude (3-1 rule) to cross a fix at 10/250 (or whatever it was)... Then describe what I would do for a missed approach off of the ILS 1L (or R, didn't matter).. I read the missed approach off the plate and said that's what I'd do. That was the extent of the technical stuff, with the exception of talking myself into a technical/reg question when I was telling a story: diverting to an alternate instead of the destination and letting some people off the plane that were from that area instead of dragging them to the destination...

Interview is very heavily geared to situational "tell me about a time" type questions... some minor technical stuff might come up in the story, but there's no large "I am an electron being spun out of the RH Gen.. tell me about my life as I pass through the airplane and exit through the xpndr return light on the center console" crap.

Texandrvr
09-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Mine, a couple years ago so I don't know if they changed it, was a STAR into SEA. Had to figure out top of decent from cruise altitude (3-1 rule) to cross a fix at 10/250 (or whatever it was)... Then describe what I would do for a missed approach off of the ILS 1L (or R, didn't matter).. I read the missed approach off the plate and said that's what I'd do. That was the extent of the technical stuff, with the exception of talking myself into a technical/reg question when I was telling a story: diverting to an alternate instead of the destination and letting some people off the plane that were from that area instead of dragging them to the destination...

A follow up to this. Do you remember if they gave you a Jepp, DOD, or NGA plate?

Spicy McHaggis
09-02-2007, 08:48 AM
A follow up to this. Do you remember if they gave you a Jepp, DOD, or NGA plate?

Jepp. Almost no US airline would use any other kind.

LifeNtheFstLne
09-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Anyone know how long it is right now between interview and class date at CAL? And secondly, how long new-hires this fall can expect to sit RSV at completion of training and how long (est.) to upgrade?

flybynuts
09-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Texandrvr,

It will be a Jepp and only Jepp chart. Most ?s are about circling and going missed. When you should go missed, your circling category and and etc.. Most are technical questions that the pilot themselves know. They don't want to ask a question that they don't know. I have my interview next week and will let you know.

luv757
09-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Anyone know how long it is right now between interview and class date at CAL? And secondly, how long new-hires this fall can expect to sit RSV at completion of training and how long (est.) to upgrade?

They should tell you at the interview what class date they are looking for. It was about a month for me from interview to starting class. As for RSV it will depend on base and airplane. EWR usually 1-3 mos on RSV. IAH is longer (I would guess 3-6). Those are 737 estimates. 756 at EWR could be a few months on RSV as well.

As far as upgrade we had a guy on our last system bid at 1 year and 11 mos. So he will be on property for about 2.5-3 years when he upgrades. That said, I would plan on about 3-5 years. The going rate for upgrade today is not going to be the going rate forever so who knows?

arjmjj
09-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Panel was 9 Aug in EWR, sim was 22 Aug. Call came an agonizing 5 days later on 27 Aug. Starting on 2 Oct.