Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : NWA interview

Pilot X
09-04-2007, 06:32 AM
Anyone get called today?

Whaledriver101
09-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Interview at NWA??? Are you nuts? Unless its a stepping stone to better things.

Pilot X
09-04-2007, 06:48 AM
yeah NASA actually asked me to go to NWA to get me ready to fly the space shuttle

citationdrvrmob
09-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Did you get a call?

newKnow
09-04-2007, 07:32 AM

Aaah Whale,

Why don't you fly your airplane and let other people fly theirs. :cool:

Nopac
09-04-2007, 10:05 AM

I read this "stepping stone" stuff all the time on these forums. It's as if a magical world of airline nirvana exists out there beyond the "stepping stone." A stepping stone to what better things? The only distinctly better things that I can see are UPS, FDX or SW, depending upon what kind of flying you like. That's it.
All of the majors have pros and cons, but they are all basically the same animal. How many pilots are going to interview, get hired/trained by NW in the upcoming months, fly the line for a year or so on the -9/320 and then quit and head over to DAL, UA or CAL to start all over again at the bottom of the list?

ce650
09-04-2007, 10:39 AM
No phone call yet.

skidmark
09-04-2007, 10:43 AM
What the application like I am still toying with the idea of applying?

newKnow
09-04-2007, 11:12 AM
I read this "stepping stone" stuff all the time on these forums. It's as if a magical world of airline nirvana exists out there beyond the "stepping stone." A stepping stone to what better things? The only distinctly better things that I can see are UPS, FDX or SW, depending upon what kind of flying you like. That's it.
All of the majors have pros and cons, but they are all basically the same animal. How many pilots are going to interview, get hired/trained by NW in the upcoming months, fly the line for a year or so on the -9/320 and then quit and head over to DAL, UA or CAL to start all over again at the bottom of the list?

No,

Thats a great point. I am a little sick of people giving advice to others on here to "leave here" or "go there" or "don't interview there." Unless you have a crystal ball that works, keep your opinions to yourself.

In a previous post, I think I mentioned a s/o I flew with who left American in the 60's to go fly for Braniff......

"Nuff Said......."

Radial Song
09-04-2007, 11:35 AM
What the application like I am still toying with the idea of applying?

Name, address, contact info, flight time, work and education history etc....like all other online applications.

Having someone to explain it to you takes much more energy that just applying yourself. No offense but, it is a bit of a silly question. If you're curious, just do it yourself.

Eric Stratton
09-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Anyone get called today?

I know one person who got the good call...

ce650
09-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Nobody on the board got the call yet? whats the hold up?

727C47
09-06-2007, 11:04 AM
we are all horrible

pilotjonesg
09-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Nothing yet, hopefully soon!!

Eric Stratton
09-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Nobody on the board got the call yet? whats the hold up?

I think only 24 interviewed so far.

by the way I heard an ugly rumor. no minimum guarantee, no per diem and no hotel during training. can anyone confirm or deny?

citationdrvrmob
09-08-2007, 09:30 AM
by the way I heard an ugly rumor. no minimum guarantee, no per diem and no hotel during training. can anyone confirm or deny?

Sounds like the usual b.s. propaganda that is spread around here by someone who was not hired by a specified airline or is disgruntled with it.

Eric Stratton
09-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Sounds like the usual b.s. propaganda that is spread around here by someone who was not hired by a specified airline or is disgruntled with it.

are you saying that person is me. don't know how to take that comment...

atpcliff
09-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi!

I was told if you get DTW/MEM, you get hotel/perdiem in training. If you get MSP, then you don't need hotel/perdiem because you're home.

cliff
YIP

citationdrvrmob
09-09-2007, 05:15 PM
are you saying that person is me. don't know how to take that comment...

No, I didn't mean to make it sound like that person is you, please don't take it that way at all.

Eric Stratton
09-09-2007, 05:31 PM
No, I didn't mean to make it sound like that person is you, please don't take it that way at all.

I'm not but I wasn't 100% sure.

crewdawg52
09-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi!

I was told if you get DTW/MEM, you get hotel/perdiem in training. If you get MSP, then you don't need hotel/perdiem because you're home.

cliff
YIP

During indoc, everyone is MSP based.... You foot the the bill. During the 2nd week of indoc, assignments will be awarded and your permenate base. If MSP, you are at "home". If DTW, or MEM, YOU have to request a paid hotel room. They are not going to automatically start paying for your room.

pullup
09-09-2007, 05:42 PM
I think only 24 interviewed so far.

NWA shows your base as MSP during new hire training so no hotel and no per diem. and your probation clock doesn't start until the first guy in your class is finished with IOE. Thats the way it was the last time they hired pilots, so I suspect the cheap bastards haven't changed.

LifeNtheFstLne
09-09-2007, 07:03 PM
NWA shows your base as MSP during new hire training so no hotel and no per diem. and your probation clock doesn't start until the first guy in your class is finished with IOE. Thats the way it was the last time they hired pilots, so I suspect the cheap bastards haven't changed.

They have not. And unlucky for us at CPS - they adopted the same policy. I should've camped in the Mall of America.

pullup
09-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Once hiring ramps up there should be some crash pad options to be had.

PinnacleFO
09-10-2007, 05:46 AM
I suspect after the first wave of people go to train there, people interested in NWA is going to skyrocket down after that, not many people these days can go without pay for 2 months, and then make 30000 on top of that. In my opinion, that is just very low. EVEN PINNACLE PAYS FOR HOTELS FOR TRAINING!

Not2fast
09-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Does anybody know how the recall placement is going? I was furloughed from DTW on the -9 three lives ago. I figured that they were recalling everyone to the MSP base just to avoid paying for the hotels.

When I was hired in Feb '01 we got our base assignment on the second week then had to wait until the beginning of the following month before they would cover the hotel expense. Sucked for those of us starting on the last few days of the month. I went to class the last few days of Feb and after creating a paperwork trail, they started picking up the hotel on April 1.

lear 31 pilot
09-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Insane, I cannot believe that NWA would not pay for Hotels. I was going to fill out there application but hearing this forget it. The majors to me become less appealing by the day, there getting worse then the regionals.

pilotss
09-10-2007, 09:47 AM
I am not sure if it helps but there is an official recommendation form that is sent in by your inside friend. It is a one page document that has mostly personal info like:

Why is this person a good pilot, How are their customer service skills, etc and show an example.

I agree Lear 31. I won't top my current pay till maybe 4th year at the majors. Often I see the guys around me getting their recall notices and saying "no thanks". Next step, pay for training at the majors. At least in most of their contracts they have to pay for it. But that is always amendable.

shiftwork
09-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Next step....pay for you plane ticket to the interview!

PMeyer
09-10-2007, 11:36 AM
During indoc, everyone is MSP based.... You foot the the bill. During the 2nd week of indoc, assignments will be awarded and your permenate base. If MSP, you are at "home". If DTW, or MEM, YOU have to request a paid hotel room. They are not going to automatically start paying for your room.

Disgusting.

reddog25
09-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Disgusting.

I don't believe any company pays for your hotel during training...CAL, DAL, UPS, FDEX any one care to comment? Why should that be any different then when you are thru training. Your pay is the same in training and after OE, and you have to pay for your crash pad then...so what's the big deal?

JoeyMeatballs
09-10-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't believe any company pays for your hotel during training...CAL, DAL, UPS, FDEX any one care to comment? Why should that be any different then when you are thru training. Your pay is the same in training and after OE, and you have to pay for your crash pad then...so what's the big deal?

I think you are incorrect............................. At this point I even think all of the regionals pay the bill, with he exception of maybe one or two.............

reddog25
09-10-2007, 06:40 PM
I think you are incorrect............................. At this point I even think all of the regionals pay the bill, with he exception of maybe one or two.............

Yes you may be correct...I was refering to majors...any DAL, AMR, AAA, CAL, care to join in?:rolleyes:

newKnow
09-10-2007, 08:22 PM
I wonder why the regionals pay for hotels during training and the majors don't? :confused:

Slice
09-10-2007, 09:27 PM

UPS pays for hotel, uniforms(you buy underwear, socks, and shoes), 24/7 per diem till you pass your line check, and you're paid min guarantee from day one. First year pay still sucks but it takes a little of the sting out of it.

newKnow
09-10-2007, 09:39 PM
UPS pays for hotel, uniforms(you buy underwear, socks, and shoes), 24/7 per diem till you pass your line check, and you're paid min guarantee from day one. First year pay still sucks but it takes a little of the sting out of it.

That's a far cry from us, where not only do we not get our hotels paid for, we have to clean the CEO's house and pay for new airplanes for a different company to fly.

Just kidding. (About cleaning the CEO's house. That's the next contract.) :rolleyes:

atpcliff
09-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi!

What is the PAY while in training? If it is not regular, line pay, when does it change? Details please!

Thanx!

cliff
DAL

newKnow
09-10-2007, 10:39 PM
I think we got paid $2,000 per montf for the first year. I can't remember when that first check comes though. But, it is withing the first 2-3 weeks.

Big: 13th
Little: 27th

Eric Stratton
09-11-2007, 05:29 AM
pay is 2 hours 40 minutes per day of training, doesn't sound like there is a minimum guarantee until after training is over or per diem.

my buddy at CAL lives in houston and got a hotel, min guarantee and per diem while a new hire a few years back

reddog25
09-11-2007, 08:11 AM
UPS pays for hotel, uniforms(you buy underwear, socks, and shoes),.

Man that sucks...you have to pay for your shoes:)

pilotc90a
09-11-2007, 10:14 AM
[quote=Not2fast;228392]Does anybody know how the recall placement is going? I was furloughed from DTW on the -9 three lives ago. I figured that they were recalling everyone to the MSP base just to avoid paying for the hotels.

All the recalls are over. everyone is being assigned the -9 in DTW.

pilotc90a
09-11-2007, 10:16 AM
[quote=atpcliff;228881]Hi!

What is the PAY while in training? If it is not regular, line pay, when does it change? Details please!

2hours and 40 min per day, @ $29.65 an hr, then 75 hrs while on reserve.

Eric3D
09-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi, LifeNtheFstLne

Could you shoot me your email address. I have a few questions about Compass if you have time.

Thanks,

Eric
[email protected]