Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Hotel for Delta Interview?

Razor
09-08-2007, 09:18 AM
In the Delta interview invite email they offer four hotel suggestions; Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, Wellesley Inn and Sheraton Gateway. Any one of these stand out as the best place to stay or are they all about the same?

Any other gouge (besides the WFFF stuff) or words of advice about the process? Anything you wish you had known before your interview that you want to share?

Thanks,

944Turbo
09-08-2007, 09:21 AM
I know that the out of town Indoc new-hires stay at the Comfort Inn. It might be beneficial to you if you can bounce some ideas off of them prior to your interview..

TBoneF15
09-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Look all of those up online and see what the reviews are...I was not impressed when I did, so I ended up staying at the Marriott Courtyard about a block away from Delta HQ. A little pricier, but had free breakfast (with the military rate) and it was QUIET and comfortable.

I never saw the suggested hotels in person (only suggested because they have a shuttle to Delta HQ), but one dude in my interview class said that his room at the comfort inn (I think) sucked...loud AC, paper thin walls, old, etc.

I was happy with my choice and slept like a baby the night before my interview.

Take that for what it's worth.

Doug Masters
09-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Alot of guys who commute stay at the Wellesley rather than a crash pad. I figure it must be a decent place...

Hornet1
09-08-2007, 11:15 AM
The Dury Inn was nice and has a good military discount and breakfast. We drove to Atlanta, so not sure about a shuttle but you could walk it easily. I stayed at the Comfort Inn during Indoc. I didn't think it was too bad and has a shuttle that runs every 20 mins.

dbtownley
09-08-2007, 11:55 AM
In the Delta interview invite email they offer four hotel suggestions; Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, Wellesley Inn and Sheraton Gateway. Any one of these stand out as the best place to stay or are they all about the same?

Any other gouge (besides the WFFF stuff) or words of advice about the process? Anything you wish you had known before your interview that you want to share?

Thanks,

I thought the Comfort Inn was good. $55 with the DAL price and a nice little business center for computer access. Good breakfast and lots of new hires around which were nice to visit with.

DALMD88FO
09-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Here is some information about close hotels. The Airport hilton is straight across the street from the interview site. They give a $65/night airline rate, now read this part, for personal travel (I would say that an interview is personal). The comfort inn and suites is were we put our training crew up. The only two good things to say about the hotel is the mexican restaurant and the fact that the shuttle goes to the training center often. The holiday inn North is across the street from the comfort inn and, in my opinion, is a little nicer hotel. They have a shuttle that will take you to the training center if you set it up ahead of time. If you want to shell out a little more cash the Crowne plaza uses the same shuttle as the holiday inn North.

Razor
09-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I appreciate it.

80ktsClamp
09-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I thought the Comfort Inn was good. $55 with the DAL price and a nice little business center for computer access. Good breakfast and lots of new hires around which were nice to visit with.

I did the same thing for my interview. I'd def reccomend it.

TristarJS30
09-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Stayed at the Sheraton Gateway on a visit to ATL, really nice room and good service for a discounted Delta price. I have read a few of the bad reviews about it, but my experience was not like any of the negative reports.

slinky
09-09-2007, 06:38 PM
The nice thing about the comfort inn is that the shuttle shows up every 20 mins to the training center. For the interview it is nice to have the easy transport. They do have a free breakfast. In conjunction, you might as well get used to staying there because it is the new hire hotel.

slinky

TheNid
09-10-2007, 03:09 PM
I stayed at the Comfort for the Delta price--worked out nicely. The shuttle is a little difficult to get back to the hotel (from the employment center vice the training center). But a cab is just $5--well worth it vs. the wait.

TheNid
09-10-2007, 03:31 PM
The gouge on WFFF was right on. I think I had 3 questions that I hadn't seen before.

XtremeF150
09-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Delta doesn't pay for the hotel....Then why is it most regionals get knocked for doing the same? ;)

Z_Pilot
09-10-2007, 08:12 PM
The gouge on WFFF was right on. I think I had 3 questions that I hadn't seen before.

How recent did you interview?

TheNid
09-11-2007, 04:39 AM
Aug 30. They did say they were going to change the test, but they hadn't yet. Also, I understand if you didn't do well on the test, but passed the interview, you could come back and test again.

Gretzky
09-11-2007, 07:46 PM
TheNid,
You get the conditional thumbs up? What was the break down (hire/not) of your interview?

TheNid
09-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Yes. Just got the psych/phys clearance yesterday. 5 of 8 conditional offers:
1 retiring AF
2 regional Capts (ASA/Horizon)
1 ASA FO/AF res
1 overseas/humanitarian experience

Cuddy
09-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Look all of those up online and see what the reviews are...I was not impressed when I did, so I ended up staying at the Marriott Courtyard about a block away from Delta HQ. A little pricier, but had free breakfast (with the military rate) and it was QUIET and comfortable.

I was happy with my choice and slept like a baby the night before my interview.

Take that for what it's worth.

Congrats Razor!

I Stayed at the same place as T Bone and agree. Nice beds, quiet rooms. It is pricey, but well worth it to show up rested! When is the interview? I will probably be there for training...

Razor
09-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks Cuddy. Check your email.

taylorjets
09-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Does DAL pay for your hotel in training?

iaflyer
10-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Are you guys making reservations for two nights or one?

ie - the night before the interview then the night between the first day and day two? Or are you just extending you room and seeing what happens after day 1?

TheNid
10-13-2007, 01:48 PM
You won't find out the word from the hiring guys until after checkout time. I'd go ahead and make the reservation and be optimistic. Make sure you ask for the Delta rate. Maybe they'd let you out if you needed to cancel at the last minute.

SabreDriver
10-13-2007, 05:23 PM
You won't find out the word from the hiring guys until after checkout time. I'd go ahead and make the reservation and be optimistic. Make sure you ask for the Delta rate. Maybe they'd let you out if you needed to cancel at the last minute.

The Comfort Inn will let you check out late and not charge you for the 2nd night if you are sent home after the first day:) Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes: They are really cool about it, happens every day.... They have a satisfaction gauranteed policy, and after that news, they know there is no way you're gonna be happy the second night :eek:

satchip
10-14-2007, 07:20 AM
I just came back from the interview and did stay at the Comfort. That is also the hotel for the indoc guys. Of the six that interviewed, the five that made it all stayed at the Comfort Inn. The lone rejection stayed at the Hilton...

Tell them when you get there or on the phone that you are here for the interview and they will give you the Delta Rate. The shuttle runs every 20 min and has plenty of room.

FlyingViking
10-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Of the six that interviewed, the five that made it all stayed at the Comfort Inn. The lone rejection stayed at the Hilton...

That just GOTTA be the ticket! Hope I can post the same in a few days...:D

IronWalt
10-14-2007, 04:18 PM
If Delta and the other majors had any class, they would show it by offering EVERYONE a room at the Hilton on their tab. You are, of course, their "guest" and are attending on their invitation.

iaflyer
10-25-2007, 05:00 AM
Comfort Inn was a fine place to stay during the interview. Two of the interviewers stayed there and rooms were quiet, people nice and the price was right ($60). Just to perpetrate the myth, 2 of the 3 selected on my day stayed at the Comfort Inn - the other lived locally.

Roll Inverted and Pull
10-25-2007, 06:42 AM
If Delta and the other majors had any class, they would show it by offering EVERYONE a room at the Hilton on their tab. You are, of course, their "guest" and are attending on their invitation.

"You are their guest?" Are you serious? You and about 20,000 others are applying for a damn good job that others would kill for. You show up, hat in hand (figuratively, not literally speaking) asking to be hired, and you consider yourself a guest? There is a good chance that you should think about that attitude for a while. I`ve said this before ( and this if from a classmate that has been the pilot interviewer at Delta during the last big hiring spree) "You would be surprised at the number of applicants that come to the interview and talk themselves out of a job"

bigfatdaddy
10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Sage Advice

FlyingViking
10-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Comfort Inn worked like a champ, nice to meet other Delta guys for b-fast and all of us that stayed there got hired. They where late washing my clothes (did the interview between two trips..) and didn't even charge me. Short ride to HQ and all the drivers know exactly where you are going in your blue suit and red tie.... Yes, you stick out like a sore thumb, but every one I talked to did whatever they could to help and make me feel at ease as well as welcome. Great place for great people!

DAL4EVER
10-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Let's see IronWalt - FedEx pays for hotel (nope), UPS (nope), majors (nope), hmmm. Not having any luck here so far. Regionals, nope. National - nope. Southwest (nope). Damn. Time to leave the country to find one that does.

Why should they pay if you may not make it. There is no return on that investment. This is the price of interviewing. Trust me, fly a greenslip and you can get a room for the month. That's with the 50% paycut. If you want the job, there is a cost of doing business. This means getting a nice suit, doing your prep, and getting a hotel room. Your competition is going to do it because they want it. If you want it, you will find a way to do it. Plus if your lucky enough to get a couple of major interviews that means you will only have to foot the bill for two or three night stays.

I paid for my hotel room years ago and it was the best money I ever spent. I think I hear a Pink Floyd song playing:

"Hush now baby, baby don't you cry
Mommas gonna keep baby cozy and warm"

StripAlert
10-26-2007, 05:13 AM
Let's see IronWalt - FedEx pays for hotel (nope), UPS (nope), majors (nope), hmmm. Not having any luck here so far. Regionals, nope. National - nope. Southwest (nope). Damn. Time to leave the country to find one that does.

JetBlue pays for travel and puts you up in the hotel. I thought it was a classy touch, but didn't take the job. I landed at a startup where I had to pay for travel to/from the interview, hotel at the interview, travel to indoc, and the hotel for the week of indoc, all at my own expense. I also had to front $300 for a drug and background test, and another $200 for F/E written prep and exam (on three days' notice). My impression: not so classy. (Though it's all in where you're coming from, I suppose--there was a former regional captain hired about a year later who couldn't be happier that his training pay with us exceeded his earnings flying the line at Mesaba.)

Still, that was more than compensated for by being paid almost double the first year and working two 8-hour legs every three days vice several trips up and down the east coast daily. You've got to keep an eye on the bottom line and ignore the individual cost/benefit items.

And as DAL4EVER also alluded, it's kind of silly to fret over the expense of a night or two in a hotel when you've spent untold thousands on getting your ratings and building time. My biggest complaint is the ATP for mil guys, actually. I mean c'mon--I was a heavy jet aircraft commander at 25 but I have to drop over two grand on ground school from a kid who doesn't even have enough experience to get an ATP and 6 hours in a Seminole to prove it? I only wish Delta was hiring a year and a half ago--there are a couple guys in my new hire class that only have the written, and I am so envious! I would've much rather done the checkride in a 767 sim than in two lawnmowers strapped to a kite.

I do wish DAL paid for a hotel for initial training, but whatever. It's $400 for the month in a nice crash pad, which equates to $288 net after the tax deduction. I think I've already extracted more than that in non-rev travel to/from my Reserve gig.

FlyingViking
10-26-2007, 09:37 PM
100% of your job search expense is tax deductable so it really cost you nothing unless you are making $0,- already (or working for Mesa or someone - that is close enough..)

StripAlert
10-27-2007, 10:19 AM
100% of your job search expense is tax deductable so it really cost you nothing unless you are making $0,- already (or working for Mesa or someone - that is close enough..)

It's a tax deduction, not a tax credit.

BalloonChaser
01-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Anyone have the number for the Comfort Inn?

SJF15E
01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Anyone have the number for the Comfort Inn?

(404) 768-7800

Good Luck.

BalloonChaser
01-27-2008, 11:44 PM

Bigflya
01-28-2008, 03:38 PM
I would definately rec the Comfort Inn. It is much nicer then the Confort Inn you typically think of. Covered drive-up, nice wood front desk areas. Pretty good Mexican as the hotel restaurant. Good Italian across the street at the Wellsley (nice non-alcoholic celebratory meal). They will allow late check-out for those that do not get the nod first day. I will caution you this though. Always watch your P's and Q's as your grandmother would say. I sat one table across an older gentlemen at breakfast. Kept my mouth shut. He ended up being on the interview team that day and I had him. Everything went great. I would have had that sinking feeling in my stomach if I acted like an ass or something and would have sat there.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1