Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : CAL New Hire Assignments

taylorjets
09-10-2007, 12:41 PM
What aircraft are they hiring into at CAL?

flybynuts
09-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Class this week had 12 737 EWR and 4 757 EWR. There have been a few 777 here and there but nothing to rely on.

HercDriver130
09-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Which of the aircraft have the better schedules out of EWR

Myboyblue
09-10-2007, 05:41 PM
I've always wondered why this question is even asked.

The bottom line is you fly ANY a/craft you want. New hires are holding EWR 777 fo.

If you don't have any care as to where you are based then you can hold any equipment we fly. It matters what base you want not what equipment type.

Ottopilot
09-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Newark is junior, so any plane is up for graps (for now). What they assign a new hire is up to them and what they need at that time. After get hired, bid any plane you want and they train you (assuming they need you on it, which they do in EWR). You can always move up in pay/status, but you have a two year freeze for moving down. Start small and move up. I'd try to get the 737 in training. Free type rating. Good experience. Fly it a year and then bid the 757/767. Fly that a year or two and bid the 777 for awhile. By then the 787 will be here. It depends what you want. Domestic, international, more money, more days off, fewer legs/longer legs, small, medium, or large pay/airframe, commutable, non-commutable, etc. I did the 737, 757, and 767 type ratings in my first year. :D

taylorjets
09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Newark is junior, so any plane is up for graps (for now). What they assign a new hire is up to them and what they need at that time. After get hired, bid any plane you want and they train you (assuming they need you on it, which they do in EWR). You can always move up in pay/status, but you have a two year freeze for moving down. Start small and move up. I'd try to get the 737 in training. Free type rating. Good experience. Fly it a year and then bid the 757/767. Fly that a year or two and bid the 777 for awhile. By then the 787 will be here. It depends what you want. Domestic, international, more money, more days off, fewer legs/longer legs, small, medium, or large pay/airframe, commutable, non-commutable, etc. I did the 737, 757, and 767 type ratings in my first year. :D

OTTO,

How long have you been at CAL. Are you Happy? Just curious... will you be bidding 777? How many days a month can you expect on the 777 EWR?

Tjets.

Ottopilot
09-11-2007, 04:00 AM
2.5 years. I got 737 Captain, so I'll skip the 777. I think 777 guys get the most days off, but I'm not sure what junior guys are getting. Some of the reserve guys do one trip per month. I didn't like the 777 destinations and the 16 hour legs. Plus, I wouldn't be the FO, I'd be an IRO and never "fly" the plane. I'd have to go to Houston every 90 days to the sim and requalify. I'd rather fly, so the 737 it is. :D

Eric Stratton
09-11-2007, 04:59 AM
for those that are interested my buddy couldn't hold the 777 on the last bid and he's been their over a year and half. it's not as junior as it once was...

WEACLRS
09-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Currently, and for the near future (always subject to change), everyone is going to EWR on either the 737 or the 757/767. As stated above, the 777 has gone more senior again since the deadhead pay went back to 100% in July. Guys are also beginning to bid it with expectation of the 787 coming. Do not expect the 777 out of new hire class.

taylorjets
09-11-2007, 07:35 AM
How many more will they be hiring through 2008?

WEACLRS
09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
16 per week, 64 per month.

JoeyMeatballs
09-11-2007, 10:05 AM

I cant believe with all that hiring they have yet to run out of applicants on the "short stack"...........

taylorjets
09-11-2007, 11:20 AM

Any idea on how long it will continue?

Ottopilot
09-11-2007, 02:53 PM
No, but it should continue for awhile. Lots of retirements, 4% per year expansion, people leaving, people losing medicals, etc.

flybynuts
09-11-2007, 08:49 PM
The plan is to hire 64 per month until April and then slow to the 15-20s for the summer and then pick back up to 64 in Sept of 08 for the next year. This was from thier HR manager as of yesterday when I talked to her. Also, most of these numbers are just for retirements and not growth.

WEACLRS
09-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Any idea on how long it will continue?

I was in the sim yesterday with a senior APD and check airman. Asked this very question. His response was the plan they have been given is 64/month through next April when once again they will slow down for the summer. Doing the math that would be approximately 450 - 500 pilots. It's for both retirements and growth. Planned retirements this year (assuming no change yet in age 65) are 253. Planned retirements in 2008 are 199.

flybynuts
09-12-2007, 03:12 PM
WEACLRS,

Thanks for the clarification. My numbers were with moderate growth included per Christy. CAL is still planning to do this for the next 2-3 years (minus 65 rule).

Free Flyer
09-12-2007, 06:59 PM
OTTO,

How long have you been at CAL. Are you Happy? Just curious... will you be bidding 777? How many days a month can you expect on the 777 EWR?

Tjets.

To answer your question, here it is.

EWR 737 FO - I get 16 days off a month, however not always commutable on both ends and I'm at 50%. If you are a new hire you will get 12 days off and not commutable on either side usually.

EWR 757 FO - Gets 12 days off, unless you are in the top 10%, then you get 14 days off. Almost entirely commutable due to Atlantic crossings, 7 a month or more. Some guys will work 15 days in a row and then get 15 off, but that's a little too long away from home for me.

EWR 777 FO - The most junior lineholder gets 18 days off a month. All trips are commutable. The more senior people get 21 days off a month.

As far as IAH goes, it's pretty much the same as EWR, but you will have better seniority in EWR. I've only been there 1 1/2 years and moving up rapidly.

So to answer your question, most FO's are staying put on the 737 or they are trying to get the 777 just for days off. I missed the 777 by one number on our last bid :(

Cheers, and I hope that this info helps you out.

taylorjets
09-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks alot,

Great information. Thanks to all who contributed.

Best,

Tjets;)

Ottopilot
09-13-2007, 05:35 AM
To answer your question, here it is.

EWR 737 FO - I get 16 days off a month, however not always commutable on both ends and I'm at 50%. If you are a new hire you will get 12 days off and not commutable on either side usually.

EWR 757 FO - Gets 12 days off, unless you are in the top 10%, then you get 14 days off. Almost entirely commutable due to Atlantic crossings, 7 a month or more. Some guys will work 15 days in a row and then get 15 off, but that's a little too long away from home for me.

EWR 777 FO - The most junior lineholder gets 18 days off a month. All trips are commutable. The more senior people get 21 days off a month.

As far as IAH goes, it's pretty much the same as EWR, but you will have better seniority in EWR. I've only been there 1 1/2 years and moving up rapidly.

So to answer your question, most FO's are staying put on the 737 or they are trying to get the 777 just for days off. I missed the 777 by one number on our last bid :(

Cheers, and I hope that this info helps you out.

I'm not sure where you get your info. I'm 50% on the 757 in EWR and get at least 14 days off. Plus the late show times in the evening are like days off to me (I'm at home all day). I've never had 7 pairings in a month. This month I have 4 (two to Europe and two to Hawaii). I've never worked 15 days in a row. I think I've worked 6 in a row. I was on the 737 and I'm glad I went to the 757/767.

Free Flyer
09-14-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm not sure where you get your info. I'm 50% on the 757 in EWR and get at least 14 days off. Plus the late show times in the evening are like days off to me (I'm at home all day). I've never had 7 pairings in a month. This month I have 4 (two to Europe and two to Hawaii). I've never worked 15 days in a row. I think I've worked 6 in a row. I was on the 737 and I'm glad I went to the 757/767.

I got all of the info from our line construction awards page and from the guys in our crash pad.

CAL EWR
09-14-2007, 05:57 PM
I cant believe with all that hiring they have yet to run out of applicants on the "short stack"...........

FYI when I went through 756 training in June. I was told by APD that gave me my type ride who also participates in board interviews when we were first started hiring we had an overall success rate of around 80% of those who interviewed that were offered jobs. Today it is around 60% success rate for those who are inteviewed to get job offers.

HercDriver130
09-14-2007, 06:20 PM
CAL...are you saying that only 60% of new hires complete training?

luv757
09-14-2007, 08:11 PM
CAL...are you saying that only 60% of new hires complete training?

No, 60% of those that interview are offered a job.

HercDriver130
09-14-2007, 10:38 PM
after a bit of sleep, now I see the orginal intent of what was said..... thanks for clarifying.

WEACLRS
09-15-2007, 08:35 AM
No, 60% of those that interview are offered a job.

I flew with an instructor/check airman who also sits on many of the interviews the other day. He related the same number. Last January the hire rate out of interviews was 80-90%. Today it is around 60% or so. The "hireability" question, which I read to mean the "would I want to fly with this guy all day?", is not getting anwsered "yes" as much. Only one of the many people who interview you has to say "no" and you're out.

flybynuts
09-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Add to the one of many people who interview you-the sim instructors. They are there to evaluate more than your sim performance. Had an AF C-5 guy who gave a little attitude to the sim instructor for "bad" power setting which caused him to plant the landing. Those guys don't care that much that you plant it but if you smartmouth them, they will get you back. I am sure every airline is the same; all eyes are on you since you are the one coming for a job.

scrapdog
09-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Add to the one of many people who interview you-the sim instructors. They are there to evaluate more than your sim performance. Had an AF C-5 guy who gave a little attitude to the sim instructor for "bad" power setting which caused him to plant the landing. Those guys don't care that much that you plant it but if you smartmouth them, they will get you back. I am sure every airline is the same; all eyes are on you since you are the one coming for a job.

The "sim instructor" on the interview who usually flies with you - which really isn't a sim instructor as much as a sim evaluator (since they're not teaching you anything on your interview) is a former Navy fighter guy and is outstanding. Very laid back and very pro-military.

Obviously any "attitude" on your interview - whether CIVILIAN or military will not reflect well - either in the sim or the panel. That's a no brainer.

luv757
09-16-2007, 03:08 PM
The "sim instructor" on the interview who usually flies with you - which really isn't a sim instructor as much as a sim evaluator (since they're not teaching you anything on your interview) is a former Navy fighter guy and is outstanding. Very laid back and very pro-military.

Obviously any "attitude" on your interview - whether CIVILIAN or military will not reflect well - either in the sim or the panel. That's a no brainer.

If it is the same guy that did my sim eval back last november, I agree. He was outstanding. They want to see you do well. I completely f'ed up on my holding brief (I had not done any of the sim preps) and he offered me a bone on which way to turn and I jumped all over it. I still got the job. I like to think it was because I thanked him profusely for the assist :)

flybynuts
09-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Should be a no brainer but as I pointed out to remind others who read this, you are the one looking for the job. The evaluator and sim CP were both Marines and great guys. They want to help you but some just don't get the message.

Flatspin7
09-16-2007, 05:25 PM
My sim eval was about a year and half ago (wow time flies) and it was a very positive experiance. (I got the job so it must have been good enough!).

The evaluators were very laid back and non-confrontational. (NJ) They give you about 1/2 hour so go over the profile by yourself and then they get you and take you to the sim. The guy in the right seat (you have a choice) gave me a few quick pointers on how to fly the sim. (Thrust lever angles, handling quirks etc) They told me they do not expect a perfect ride but they do expect that you make any errors you make to be corrected positively.

The sim ride went by very quickly and when it was over they took you down to KDs office to the handshake and "you'll hear from us". I went back to the airport and by the time I had gotten off the plane in EWR my sponsor knew and offered me the position.

LifeNtheFstLne
09-19-2007, 09:43 AM
If an applicant interviews at EWR, do they then go to Houston for the sim eval if successful in the initial screening, or is there now a sim at EWR? Just curious as to the latest process, as I head up there in a few weeks. I've been looking for a thread or site with recent gouge updates. Any input is appreciated.

Also, what type of time frame can new-hires later this year expect until upgrade? I know CAL was highly sought after due to retirements, I'm just wondering if they're still the one with the most hiring ahead...

Ottopilot
09-19-2007, 10:54 AM
No sim in EWR, only IAH.

LifeNtheFstLne
09-19-2007, 12:01 PM
No sim in EWR, only IAH.

Thanks, but that only confirmed what I stated. Does completing an interview in EWR mean a separate trip for a sim eval in Houston?

flybynuts
09-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Yes,
You still have to go to IAH to do the sim ride. This is where they have the sims. You can do the it all at IAH or do the interview at EWR and then travel to IAH for the sim at a later date. I wanted to get all mine done in the same day. Hope this helps.

shamrock1
09-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but is their CAL employee parking in EWR? If so, how much and does anyone know how long it takes to get from the terminal to the lot? Thank you.

JoeyMeatballs
09-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but is their CAL employee parking in EWR? If so, how much and does anyone know how long it takes to get from the terminal to the lot? Thank you.

There is the F Lot which is the quickest way to the terminal total time from parking your car to the terminal usually 10-15 minutes............ EWR airport employee, not necessarily CAL. there is SouthStreet which is supposed to be flightcrew only but I hear the bus only comes once every 30 minutes..........

Ottopilot
09-19-2007, 01:25 PM
There are three employee parking lots in EWR. South Street, Hayes, and F lot (felony lot). It's about 10-15 minutes on the employee bus depending on which lot and traffic. You must be an employee with a parking pass to use it. You'll get that info. from the Chief Pilot's Office.

shamrock1
09-19-2007, 01:29 PM
thanks guys, and it's free? Would it be safer to park the Bentley or the Yugo?

JoeyMeatballs
09-19-2007, 01:34 PM
thanks guys, and it's free? Would it be safer to park the Bentley or the Yugo?

Well the F "Felony" lot seems ok except every 4 day some jackass puts another dent in my s2000, very obnoxious...........

catIIIc
09-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks, but that only confirmed what I stated. Does completing an interview in EWR mean a separate trip for a sim eval in Houston?

Yes, and it pretty much means the job is your as long as you don't crash the sim.

ewrbasedpilot
09-19-2007, 07:43 PM
There is the F Lot which is the quickest way to the terminal total time from parking your car to the terminal usually 10-15 minutes............ EWR airport employee, not necessarily CAL. there is SouthStreet which is supposed to be flightcrew only but I hear the bus only comes once every 30 minutes..........

South Street buses run about every 10 minutes or so except in the wee morning hours when they run what's called a "bump and run" schedule. It's the nicer of the lots. From the lot to the terminal or back is around 7 minutes or so.

luv757
09-20-2007, 04:33 PM

I park in F for no other reason than it is the first one on my way when I drive up from DC. Coming from the south on the turnpike I think it is the easiest to get to. I have never had any problems but I have a 7 year old Maxima. :D

TankerDriver
09-21-2007, 04:37 PM

I don't think it is as much of a "short stack" as it is a "band wagon".

rolo12
09-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Latest class...started 18SEP...had 16 new hires with 12 73 slots and 4 756 slots. Top guy, one in the middle and the second and third from the bottom took the 756. All out of EWR. Rumor is guys are holding 73 lines off of IOE or very soon after...that's why I took em! The next few classes (of 16/week) have the same breakdown.

SJF15E
09-25-2007, 04:38 PM

What do you mean by "not commutable?" What is a typical schedule for a new hire working the 73 out of EWR?

jdt30
09-25-2007, 07:58 PM
What do you mean by "not commutable?" What is a typical schedule for a new hire working the 73 out of EWR?

Very early shows and late arrivals.

SJF15E
09-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Very early shows and late arrivals.

So, what do guys do who have that kind of schedule and have to commute...crash pad? Hotel room? Divorce?

Ottopilot
09-25-2007, 08:04 PM
737's fly all day and 757's fly all night! You can commute during the day to fly a 757 all night. :D

Ottopilot
09-25-2007, 08:06 PM
So, what do guys do who have that kind of schedule and have to commute...crash pad? Hotel room? Divorce?

There are a lot of crash pads in EWR. No one wants to live there and it's expensive. I moved to NE PA, so I drive 1.5 hours to work. Sucks, but beats commuting. Some get hotel rooms, but if you spend a lot of nights in EWR, then it's cheaper to do the crash pad thing.

jdt30
09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Start off with a crashpad and as you gain seniority then start looking at your options. Where are you planning on commuting from?

SJF15E
09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
You can always move up in pay/status, but you have a two year freeze for moving down.

Otto,

What does that mean?

SJF15E
09-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Start off with a crashpad and as you gain seniority then start looking at your options. Where are you planning on commuting from?

If I am lucky enough to get the job, RDU.

jdt30
09-25-2007, 08:16 PM
I came from a mil background and commuted to EWR. I hated commuting finally bit the bullet and moved to Houston. If you like RDU it might be worth commuting, but life is much easier living in base. Are you going to stay or join the guard/reserve?

SJF15E
09-25-2007, 08:20 PM
I came from a mil background and commuted to EWR. I hated commuting finally bit the bullet and moved to Houston. If you like RDU it might be worth commuting, but life is much easier living in base. Are you going to stay or join the guard/reserve?

I plan on joining the reserves here at home station. RDU works best for that.

jdt30
09-25-2007, 08:25 PM
I was told to pick to live either at my reserve unit or in base. I think it might have been easier living at my unit. Being on probation and having the guard money coming in will make life much better. Good luck with the interview being relaxed and being yourself is all it takes to get hired here. Wait you fly 15s don't be yourself. :D

SJF15E
09-25-2007, 08:27 PM
I was told to pick to live either at my reserve unit or in base. I think it might have been easier living at my unit. Being on probation and having the guard money coming in will make life much better. Good luck with the interview being relaxed and being yourself is all it takes to get hired here. Wait you fly 15s don't be yourself. :D

Nice!!!

Really, though, thanks for all the info.

ewrbasedpilot
09-26-2007, 05:47 AM
Otto,

What does that mean?

You are always allowed to move up (737 to 757/767 to 777) with no seat freeze, but if you're on larger equipment, you are locked into that seat for a minimum of two years before you can go to smaller equipment (ie, downbid). Hope that helps.

Spicy McHaggis
09-26-2007, 07:35 AM
You are always allowed to move up (737 to 757/767 to 777) with no seat freeze, but if you're on larger equipment, you are locked into that seat for a minimum of two years before you can go to smaller equipment (ie, downbid). Hope that helps.

Just to clarify, it's really a freeze from downbidding to lower pay equipment, just the size of the plane. ie, you can go from 777FO to 737CA with no freeze, but you have to wait two years to go from 777FO to 737 or 756FO (should you want to for some crazy reason).

jdt30
09-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Just to clarify, it's really a freeze from downbidding to lower pay equipment, just the size of the plane. ie, you can go from 777FO to 737CA with no freeze, but you have to wait two years to go from 777FO to 737 or 756FO (should you want to for some crazy reason).

That is correct.

luv757
09-26-2007, 08:08 AM

I do the guard thing at ADW and still live in DC and commute up to EWR. From the DC the commute is easy because I can always drive it if need be (about 3.5 hours 4 in traffic) or take the train. At least living here with those options everything is commutable. So yeah, live in one or the other (in base or with guard reserve). On a side note, I have heard that RDU is one of the tougher commutes to EWR. I flew with a guy recently who commutes out of there. He has had to drive it on occasion (about 7 hours). Just keep that in your hip pocket.

scrapdog
09-26-2007, 11:26 AM

SJ - I'm in a very similiar situation to you. I'm in the ANG and commute out of RIC. Commuting absolutely, positively blows - but with that in mind, I would never give up flying a fighter for my military job nor the piece of mind of having that military job to fall back on in case of hard times. I'm currently 60% percent and change in the 737 out of EWR.

I did the crashpad act before going on full time orders for a while. EWR is a trash can, but it's much cheaper to do the crashpad deal than a hotel. More often than not, especially as a junior pup you're going to have trips that are not commutable and you'll need that crashpad. Price ranges from 150 to 350 bucks a month - give or take.

There is an age old debate about whether to live in your airline domicile or your ANG base hometown. I'd say - especially flying a fighter - the best option is living by the ANG. It's much easier to have a set schedule with the squadron and know which times you're going to fly your sorties for the AF and commute to the airline than the other way around. At least, as I said, for flying pointy jets...for fatties, I'm not sure...

My .02...good luck!!!

LifeNtheFstLne
10-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Not trying to hijack but....

New hires: Was your interview sim on the MD-80 or 737? Just trying to see who I should use for the sim prep. I'm worried I'd prep on the MD-80 and check on the 73. I hear they're switching them over. Recommendations are GREATLY appreciated.

jdt30
10-03-2007, 09:53 AM
The md-80 sim is long gone. They are only doing the ride in a 737.

Ottopilot
10-03-2007, 11:50 AM
-500, -300, -300EFIS, or -800? :D

flybynuts
10-03-2007, 01:15 PM
They prefer the -300 for the interviews but it breaks from time to time and then they have to go to the other variants of the 737. However, they let you use the flight director so it helps no matter which one you are flying.

Texandrvr
10-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Yeah, FD on, AP/ATS off. CPT and Higher Power out of Dallas are the two prep companies that seem to be recommended most. I used CPT. I felt thoroughly prepared.

flybynuts
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
FTI is also a good prep course. Some of CPT's sim evaluators are also CAL pilots which may help if you do well.

LifeNtheFstLne
10-06-2007, 01:54 PM
I read the retirement articles on here a couple times, but my brain is fried from training. So am I understanding correctly that the B plan percentage is the percentage of your pre-tax yearly pay that the company will contribute to your retirement? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If it sounds too good to be true... it usually is.

LifeNtheFstLne
10-08-2007, 06:33 AM
Really? No takers on that one?

jdt30
10-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Company contributions will be made monthly, concurrent with such payment,
based upon the gross Compensation the pilot is paid on that date (before taxes and deductions).

tankerpuke
10-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Any new rumors of a west coast base??? :D

PUKE

jdt30
10-08-2007, 08:13 AM
I would love to say that we are getting one, but we don't have the widebodies to do the flying we have now. Maybe when we start taking deliveries of the 78.

BoardPilot
10-08-2007, 09:09 AM
How senior is IAH, is it likely to get Houston right off the bat? Either I missed it, or all I see is EWR.

jdt30
10-08-2007, 09:24 AM
IAH is more senior. If you get the 73 out of training you can probably get to Houston pretty quickly if not right off the bat. A 75 assignment will allow you to get a lot more familiar with our EWR operation, but you will eventually make it to IAH.

BoardPilot
10-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Also, what about Guam? Are they sending people there, or just mentioning it in the interview to see how you respond?

jdt30
10-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Tell them you have your diving equipment packed and a bunch of one dollar bills in your wallet for the G-Spot. Guam is going senior right now.

LifeNtheFstLne
10-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Just got the good news phone call! Thanks for everyone's advice/input. Anyone else in the Nov. 12th class on here? According to HR, I'll be the jr. guy in class. Aside from making coffee, what else can I expect? I'd imagine EWR73? Or is it too hard to predict..?

ewrbasedpilot
10-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Just got the good news phone call! Thanks for everyone's advice/input. Anyone else in the Nov. 12th class on here? According to HR, I'll be the jr. guy in class. Aside from making coffee, what else can I expect? I'd imagine EWR73? Or is it too hard to predict..?

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You're coming on at a good time. From what I hear, you'll have close to 500 guys juinior to you before too long. Expect to be on reserve in EWR for a couple of months at the most if you end up on the 737. EWR has been pretty short of pilots for a while, but even though the trips aren't that commutable if you're a newhire, they're the best flying in the system. Overall a great bunch of people to work with and you'll have a great time. Welcome aboard!!;) As the "baby" in the class, you'll probably have to wear a pacifier, but hey, that means you'll be really senior when you retire, so enjoy it!!

JoeyMeatballs
10-11-2007, 12:18 PM

hey I read in one of your posts that your only 26, thats great man, congrats enjoy a long career at a very good airline, Im jealous:o....................enjoy brotha and good luck!

HercAC
10-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Congrats! They'll be another system's bid probably in January '08 and if it's like the last one (Aug '07) you should be able to hold any domicile and aircraft.

LifeNtheFstLne
10-11-2007, 12:43 PM
hey I read in one of your posts that your only 26, thats great man, congrats enjoy a long career at a very good airline, Im jealous:o....................enjoy brotha and good luck!

Ha, thanks. But I'm 27 now. If it counts for anything, they thought I was much older. My last job left me riddled with gray hair. I hear chicks like that Anderson Cooper guy, so maybe it'll work in my favor eventually.

LifeNtheFstLne
10-11-2007, 01:48 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You're coming on at a good time. From what I hear, you'll have close to 500 guys juinior to you before too long. Expect to be on reserve in EWR for a couple of months at the most if you end up on the 737. EWR has been pretty short of pilots for a while, but even though the trips aren't that commutable if you're a newhire, they're the best flying in the system. Overall a great bunch of people to work with and you'll have a great time. Welcome aboard!!;) As the "baby" in the class, you'll probably have to wear a pacifier, but hey, that means you'll be really senior when you retire, so enjoy it!!

Dude, I was ready to wear anything for this job. Thanks for the well-wishes. I did a lot of interviews this year, and can honestly say the corporate culture was a welcome relief from what I'd been accustomed to. And in case anyone wonders, all the gouge out there is spot-on. I did a sim prep at HPA in DFW, and it too was exactly the same. Money well spent. See y'all out there.

flybynuts
10-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Class that started this week was all 16 737 EWR. However, they are going to be starting 20 a week soon. Next few classes may have some 757 EWR sprinkled in the mix. Just like EWR said, good time to be coming here and the people are fun.

oinkflyer
10-11-2007, 07:36 PM
What are the rules for family members flying on CAL. My parents commute to AUS once every other year. If I flew for CAL would they fly free?

luv757
10-11-2007, 07:38 PM
What are the rules for family members flying on CAL. My parents commute to AUS once every other year. If I flew for CAL would they fly free?

Parents fly for free (just yours, not in-laws) as do spouse and kids. If you don't have a spouse you can name a travel companion (significant other, other family member, etc)

dojetdriver
10-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Parents fly for free (just yours, not in-laws) as do spouse and kids. If you don't have a spouse you can name a travel companion (significant other, other family member, etc)

Are you sure about that? Unless they are burning a vacation pass, they are subject to the SAME $12.50 per domestic then the employee is when not using a vacation pass. That is, unless something has changed on the last 5 months or they have what, over 10 years with the company?

757Driver
10-12-2007, 03:42 AM
Are you sure about that? Unless they are burning a vacation pass, they are subject to the SAME $12.50 per domestic then the employee is when not using a vacation pass. That is, unless something has changed on the last 5 months or they have what, over 10 years with the company?

Correct, 10 plus years = free coach travel system wide for you, your family and parents. 25 plus years = free first class travel system wide.

A320fumes
10-12-2007, 04:20 AM
Correct, 10 plus years = free coach travel system wide for you, your family and parents. 25 plus years = free first class travel system wide.

Unless a caterring(Chelsae) manager with 2 years experience bumps you. CAL has no respect for labor.

luv757
10-12-2007, 07:46 AM

Oops, forgot about the fee. I guess I would have been better to say they can non-rev. So yes, they can go on a personal pass for the $12.50 fee (which needs to be dumped). And I believe they can also go free on a vacation pass (of which you have a finite number)

Riddler
10-12-2007, 01:44 PM

I just got the call, tentative start date is March 08... Needless to say, I'm really trying to get off active duty ASAP so I can start sooner.

Riddler

LifeNtheFstLne
10-12-2007, 02:26 PM
I just got the call, tentative start date is March 08... Needless to say, I'm really trying to get off active duty ASAP so I can start sooner.

Riddler

Nice job dude. I saw your name on the board when I was in there. I hope there were no surprises for you... I think we both owe each other a cold frosty. Congrats!

ewrbasedpilot
10-12-2007, 06:43 PM

Riddler

Welcome aboard!!! What a nice EARLY Christmas present! Enjoy the holidays and gear up for some fun in March. I think you'll have a great time.
If you can get on earlier, by all means, do so. The three most important things in an airline pilots career are SENIORITY, SENIORITY, and SENIORITY! Congratulations!! ;)

KOLO
10-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Does any body knows which interview base IAH EWR CLE has a greatest passing rate (Welcome letters)???

KOLO
10-13-2007, 07:03 PM
I am trying to decide which place to go for the interview. How long does it take them to schedule a sim ride upon successful interview?

LifeNtheFstLne
10-14-2007, 11:34 AM
I am trying to decide which place to go for the interview. How long does it take them to schedule a sim ride upon successful interview?

I did my interview on a Thursday in EWR. They called on Friday with the thumbs up call and wanted me to sim the following Monday in IAH. I pushed it off until Wednesday so I could do a sim prep a day before in DFW. They didn't care one bit (I got the job). So to answer your question: be ready to move quickly if you decide to do the panel interview anywhere other than IAH. Good luck!

KOLO
10-14-2007, 01:48 PM
thank you.:)

Ottopilot
10-14-2007, 03:43 PM

I didn't know you had a choice.

LifeNtheFstLne
10-14-2007, 03:49 PM
I didn't know you had a choice.

I was given one when I was first called for my interview over a month ago (EWR/CLE/IAH). I chose EWR only because my referrals/sponsor has been heckling the CPO for many months. I figured it would help to put a face with a name. From your statement I guess it's not something that was done in the past? In retrospect, I do wish I had done it all in one day but was still glad to meet the guys I'd mostly likely deal with if based in EWR. I really don't think it matters one bit.

Riddler
10-14-2007, 04:29 PM
I did my interview on a Thursday in EWR. They called on Friday with the thumbs up call and wanted me to sim the following Monday in IAH. I pushed it off until Wednesday so I could do a sim prep a day before in DFW. They didn't care one bit (I got the job). So to answer your question: be ready to move quickly if you decide to do the panel interview anywhere other than IAH. Good luck!

I'm not aware of any differences in success rates between any of the locations. For me, I selected IAH because it was easier for me to schedule everything all at once. If you do it at IAH, you'll do the sim and panel interview all on the same day. For me, it was more convenient to get everything done at once. I didn't do the sim prep, but I got a 737 type in July - did it through Crew Pilot Training, those guys were awesome.

Good luck!
Riddler

bigoober
10-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I'll be at IAH next month doing the sim in the morning and the interview in the afternoon.

Is it difficult to get the drug test and fingerprints done between a 1020 sim and a 1545 interview?

Would it not be a smart move to do the sim prep the day before in Houston (am I cramming too much in one sock?)? Is there a company in Houston recommended for this?

Thanks guys and congrats. Hope to join you soon.

HercAC
10-14-2007, 05:47 PM
I'll be at IAH next month doing the sim in the morning and the interview in the afternoon.

Is it difficult to get the drug test and fingerprints done between a 1020 sim and a 1545 interview?

Would it not be a smart move to do the sim prep the day before in Houston (am I cramming too much in one sock?)? Is there a company in Houston recommended for this?

Thanks guys and congrats. Hope to join you soon.

Higher Power and Crew Pilot Training are both in Dallas. I haven't heard of a 737 sim prep in Houston. The fingerprint and drug testing can both be done easily in an hour or less so you should have plenty time. Both are done at the IAH airport. Good luck.

LifeNtheFstLne
10-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Higher Power and Crew Pilot Training are both in Dallas. I haven't heard of a 737 sim prep in Houston. The fingerprint and drug testing can both be done easily in an hour or less so you should have plenty time. Both are done at the IAH airport. Good luck.

If you do your sim prep in DFW the day before, CAL will positive space you on a flight to IAH from DFW and then home to wherever after the interview. I agree, you'll have plenty of time to get it all done in one day. There is a company shuttle that will run you right to where you need to be. Good luck.

bigoober
10-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks, guys. Sounds great!

135TOAD
10-16-2007, 06:34 PM
How is senoirity determined @ CAL?

CALPilotToo
10-16-2007, 07:36 PM
How is senoirity determined @ CAL?

Date of hire and age within a given class.

Unless something has changed that I am unaware of in the last 17 years.

Good luck to all but don't get caught up in not trying to go elswhere after you get here. PBS is brutal and low pay and no insurance for 6 months. Good airline after that. But if you get a cance move on to SWA, FedEx, or UPS.

135TOAD
10-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Is an internal rec a necessity? Do I have a chance without one?
all mil time - 2800TT / 1300 PIC

WEACLRS
10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
To date - yes. no. But that could be beginning to change.

Cpt. Bat
10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
I got an interview without an internal rec... wouldn't hurt to try. I talked to them at an AIR Inc seminar and I think that really helped.

Bat

Ottopilot
10-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Since at least 10% of new hire CAL pilots quit, that will help your chances of getting an interview. Sad, but true.

LifeNtheFstLne
10-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Since at least 10% of new hire CAL pilots quit, that will help your chances of getting an interview. Sad, but true.

Aww come on Otto! Quit for where? I'm sure you're stating the truth, but that's a bummer. Guys getting the 737 type and bouncing to SWA? Not cool at all.

JoeyMeatballs
10-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Aww come on Otto! Quit for where? I'm sure you're stating the truth, but that's a bummer. Guys getting the 737 type and bouncing to SWA? Not cool at all.

I have had 4, yes 4 jumpseaters that have been at CAL over a year and 2 are going to DELTA, and two have interviews...............

Guys, look at DELTA's pay and potential.........

I want nothing more than to go to CAL, but if anybody here has read "Worst to First", Larry Kellner is doing the exact opposite of what Gordon did...........It will catch up sooner or later.............., not to mention the pay, QOL, and no health insurance............

757Driver
10-17-2007, 03:26 PM

Why is that not cool? It sends a direct message to our lame-ass management that they can't keep treating new-hires, (or the entire Pilot group for that matter), like door mats.

757Driver
10-17-2007, 03:28 PM
I have had 4, yes 4 jumpseaters that have been at CAL over a year and 2 are going to DELTA, and two have interviews...............

Guys, look at DELTA's pay and potential.........

I want nothing more than to go to CAL, but if anybody here has read "Worst to First", Larry Kellner is doing the exact opposite of what Gordon did...........It will catch up sooner or later.............., not to mention the pay, QOL, and no health insurance............

Totally agree Saabster, Larry's turning this place into bean-counter central and not running an airline.

Riddler
10-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Date of hire and age within a given class.

Unless something has changed that I am unaware of in the last 17 years.

Good luck to all but don't get caught up in not trying to go elswhere after you get here. PBS is brutal and low pay and no insurance for 6 months. Good airline after that. But if you get a cance move on to SWA, FedEx, or UPS.

Do you think that there's potential to upgrade earlier at CAL (compared to SWA)? SWA has hired 400-600 per year for several years, so you'd be at the very bottom of the list for a lot longer. CAL seems to be more towards the early/middle stages of a hiring boom, which could equate to more rapid senority.

I'd like to hear some other people's opinions on this subject.

Riddler

LifeNtheFstLne
10-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Why is that not cool? It sends a direct message to our lame-ass management that they can't keep treating new-hires, (or the entire Pilot group for that matter), like door mats.

What I meant by that is that it's disappointing to hear. I was just happy to finally get a number at a legacy airline. I suppose everyone has their reasons for going to one company or another. I have no interest at all in working for SWA. But yeah, that type of pay would be nice. I have only experienced a few different corporate cultures, and so far CAL is better than most. If you're seeing a shift there, I'm not happy to hear that. It worries me that with all the new blood being drawn to the company over equipment and speedy upgrades, that they will overlook important aspects like schedules, retirement, and benefits. '08 should prove to be interesting.

LifeNtheFstLne
10-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Totally agree Saabster, Larry's turning this place into bean-counter central and not running an airline.

As you probably gathered from my posts, I'm a newbie at your company - so I say this with utmost respect, please take my questions for what they are. What needs to be changed? Or what issues would you change first? The first one that has hit me right off the bat is the lack of medical coverage, something I found surprising but knew of prior to accepting the job. What are some improvements that can be made at CAL without significantly eroding the profits that are setting them apart right now from some of the other carriers?

I also read 'From Worst to First' and somehow hoped that a bit of that was still left in the company.

Eric Stratton
10-17-2007, 08:11 PM
As you probably gathered from my posts, I'm a newbie at your company - so I say this with utmost respect, please take my questions for what they are. What needs to be changed? Or what issues would you change first? The first one that has hit me right off the bat is the lack of medical coverage, something I found surprising but knew of prior to accepting the job. What are some improvements that can be made at CAL without significantly eroding the profits that are setting them apart right now from some of the other carriers?

I also read 'From Worst to First' and somehow hoped that a bit of that was still left in the company.

any improvement is going to erode some of the profit unless it is offset with something else. the new buzz word is cost neutral.

who are they setting themselves apart from? just about everyone seems to be making money so far this year.

Ottopilot
10-18-2007, 05:07 AM
Low starting pay.
No medical benefits.
Crappy reserve rules.
Crappy bases.

People leaving for SouthWest, Delta, Fedex, etc.

dojetdriver
10-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Low starting pay.
No medical benefits.
Crappy reserve rules.
Crappy bases.

People leaving for SouthWest, Delta, Fedex, etc.

You are talking about CAL I assume? Funny, I remember in the past, you constantly stated what a great place it was to be at. Despite all the things you listed above as well as the topic of another thread that's currently running in the majors section concerning a certain group of guys on your property.

And if I remember correctly, you said that guys getting the free type and going to SW was "not cool". Do you still blame them?

WEACLRS
10-18-2007, 09:01 AM

Just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. Let see...I started in January at seniority number 4806. I sit today for November at 4591. That's a difference of 215 numbers. In January we were told there were planned retirements of 191 pilots this year. Assuming conservatively 150 or so have left, that means just 65 others ahead of me have left for various reasons, medical outs, better jobs, a few let go. 65 out of 4806 is 1.4% out of the entire pilot list. There have been 340 (give or take a few) pilots hired behind me through the end of September. 333 are still here. That means 7 to say 15 new hire pilots have left, or 2% to 4%.

Ottopilot
10-18-2007, 02:01 PM
You are talking about CAL I assume? Funny, I remember in the past, you constantly stated what a great place it was to be at. Despite all the things you listed above as well as the topic of another thread that's currently running in the majors section concerning a certain group of guys on your property.

And if I remember correctly, you said that guys getting the free type and going to SW was "not cool". Do you still blame them?

Have I left? I'm giving you facts. CAL has less to offer a new hire the first 6-12 months than other airlines. I'm not a new hire. I like it here. I have not worked for Delta or SWA or Fedex, so I'm comparing CAL with my 9 years at Express.

Other people put applications in and interview at many airlines and take the first one offered, then get their "favorite" airline offer a job after they started at CAL and leave. I don't blame them. I would have done the same.

A330Checkairman
10-19-2007, 12:07 PM
what is the first year pay and what are the benefits???

cheers...

ewrbasedpilot
10-19-2007, 12:33 PM

We just posted a profit over $70 MILLION MORE than AMR and the largest profit among the legacies. Apparently SOMEONE knows what he's doing. As for pilots who train, get the type and leave shortly thereafter, they're hurting not only the bottom dollar due to the lost cost of training, but the guys who recommended them won't be getting any more of their friends on anytime soon. CAL isn't in the business of training pilots for other airlines contrary to what some may think. I'm just wondering what you'd say to Larry's face if you saw him. My bet is not much.:eek: You don't seem to have much good to say about CAL. Why are you still here?

CALPilotToo
10-19-2007, 02:18 PM
We just posted a profit over $70 MILLION MORE than AMR and the largest profit among the legacies. Apparently SOMEONE knows what he's doing. As for pilots who train, get the type and leave shortly thereafter, they're hurting not only the bottom dollar due to the lost cost of training, but the guys who recommended them won't be getting any more of their friends on anytime soon. CAL isn't in the business of training pilots for other airlines contrary to what some may think. I'm just wondering what you'd say to Larry's face if you saw him. My bet is not much.:eek: You don't seem to have much good to say about CAL. Why are you still here?

Oh, no. This sounds familiar.

ewrbasedpilot
10-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Oh, no. This sounds familiar.

I guess I just get tired of the negativity towards our airline for EVERYTHING it does. If it was that bad, then why do so many pilots want to come here? When I was active duty military, I got tired of all the BS and got out. Why some want to do nothing but complain is beyond me. At least with an airline job, you can leave whenever you want. If all I did was worry about screwing this airline, I'd leave. It's funny that even though larger carriers made LESS than us, what we made is still not good enough for many. :rolleyes: Some on this forum think it's great that we hire pilots, train them, and then leave. Apparently paying out $15,000 or whatever the cost is, is no big deal. When you're short of pilots, which we are, every training slot is valuable. Wasting them on guys who plan on leaving isn't what I call smart business. I know some think it's funny, but all it does is hurt the bottom line, and yours and mine's profit sharing.

757Driver
10-19-2007, 03:10 PM

Meanwhile you are one of the lowest compensated Pilots out there and don't give me that management tripe just addressing pay rates only. Hip-Hip-Hooray for our CEO who gets 10's of millions just for sticking around. Aren't you glad we took a pay cut Karl so Larry and his friends can now reap in the benefits.

Kind of makes you wonder what happened to Larry's statement that we would not survive as an airline, (this was post contract '02), with oil steadily above $70.00/barrel. Guess you swallowed that one hook, line and sinker as well.

Face it Karl, YOU WERE WRONG and are just too proud to admit it. Those pay cuts were UNNECESSARY.

757Driver
10-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I guess I just get tired of the negativity towards our airline for EVERYTHING it does. If it was that bad, then why do so many pilots want to come here? When I was active duty military, I got tired of all the BS and got out. Why some want to do nothing but complain is beyond me. At least with an airline job, you can leave whenever you want. If all I did was worry about screwing this airline, I'd leave. It's funny that even though larger carriers made LESS than us, what we made is still not good enough for many. :rolleyes: Some on this forum think it's great that we hire pilots, train them, and then leave. Apparently paying out $15,000 or whatever the cost is, is no big deal. When you're short of pilots, which we are, every training slot is valuable. Wasting them on guys who plan on leaving isn't what I call smart business. I know some think it's funny, but all it does is hurt the bottom line, and yours and mine's profit sharing.

Christ Karl, hello............................

The reason they are leaving is they are paid like crap, have no health benefits and PBS grinds these guys into the ground.

Open your eyes and quit sipping on managements koolaid.

AAflyer
10-19-2007, 04:13 PM

I am happy for CAL, however I wouldn't read too much into numbers, AMR will hide numbers, can't show too much of a profit if those pesky pilots want their money back.

AMR posted a profit of 173Million. In the past year paid off another 2 Billion in debt, another 540+ million in aircaft payments, 200+ million in executive bonuses, a couple hundred million in terminal charges (ie JFK,MIA). Our balance sheet is looking better.

It is time for the pilots of AMR and CAL to set a new bar, other companies will be watching our sucesses or failures.

AAflyer

AMR did contrinute anothe 200+ million to our pensions. Yikes, they did something positive.:)

ewrbasedpilot
10-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Meanwhile you are one of the lowest compensated Pilots out there and don't give me that management tripe just addressing pay rates only. Hip-Hip-Hooray for our CEO who gets 10's of millions just for sticking around. Aren't you glad we took a pay cut Karl so Larry and his friends can now reap in the benefits.

Kind of makes you wonder what happened to Larry's statement that we would not survive as an airline, (this was post contract '02), with oil steadily above $70.00/barrel. Guess you swallowed that one hook, line and sinker as well.

Face it Karl, YOU WERE WRONG and are just too proud to admit it. Those pay cuts were UNNECESSARY.

So, I'm wrong along with 3000 other CAL pilots. Tell me what else your crystal ball knows.............BTW, if we're so bad off, why haven't you left for greener pastures?????? It amazes me how much you complain about our airline, yet refuse to leave. I'd leave if I was that unhappy. Apparently it's not that bad if you're staying................:rolleyes:

luv757
10-19-2007, 04:29 PM
It is time for the pilots of AMR and CAL to set a new bar, other companies will be watching our sucesses or failures.

I couldn't agree more. The race to the bottom has got to stop. My personal goals for the next contract, increased pay rates, I shouldn't lose days off because I have to go to FAA/company mandated training, and nothing more than an 80 hour month. (This is a minimum list of demands)

ewrbasedpilot
10-19-2007, 04:31 PM
I am happy for CAL, however I wouldn't read too much into numbers, AMR will hide numbers, can't show too much of a profit if those pesky pilots want their money back.

AMR posted a profit of 173Million. In the past year paid off another 2 Billion in debt, another 540+ million in aircaft payments, 200+ million in executive bonuses, a couple hundred million in terminal charges (ie JFK,MIA). Our balance sheet is looking better.

AAflyer

AMR did contrinute anothe 200+ million to our pensions. Yikes, they did something positive.:)

You're right, it IS amazing what they can do with the numbers. Can you just imagine how much better off we'd ALL be if oil was around $40 or so a bbl where it SHOULD be. Let's hope you're right and that we can start setting the bar higher agan, for ALL our sakes. ;)

JoeyMeatballs
10-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Christ Karl, hello............................

The reason they are leaving is they are paid like crap, have no health benefits and PBS grinds these guys into the ground.

Open your eyes and quit sipping on managements koolaid.

man I hope I can go to CAL, I would love to go on a 4-day with you, my type a guy, you from Jersey?

757Driver
10-20-2007, 07:09 AM
So, I'm wrong along with 3000 other CAL pilots. Tell me what else your crystal ball knows.............BTW, if we're so bad off, why haven't you left for greener pastures?????? It amazes me how much you complain about our airline, yet refuse to leave. I'd leave if I was that unhappy. Apparently it's not that bad if you're staying................:rolleyes:

Karl,

I'm staying and trying to change things. My goal is to convince mindless people like you that yes management will lie to you and rob you blind. I've written you off as a hopeless cause and am sure you will enjoy your comfy seat in the CPO.

As for the other 2999 who voted yes, I've spoken with many of them who admit they were lied to and will never let that happen again. Why don't you reread my posts and answer my questions one by one?

I'll tell you why, because you are incapable of thinking on your own and will believe anything management throws your way.

Good luck at Smith Street.

757Driver
10-20-2007, 07:13 AM
man I hope I can go to CAL, I would love to go on a 4-day with you, my type a guy, you from Jersey?

Nope, West Coast boy whose infected with the Jersey labor bug big-time. I guess if I live here long enough, I'll end up like Jimmy Hoffa.

REAL Pilot
10-20-2007, 08:22 AM

I don't think thats it. I think after the novelty of flying 121 wears off and you witness the historical events of deregulation, bankruptcy, strikes, scabs, and carpetbagger mgt that you understand the only real leverage we have is labor unity. Even that is sometimes weak and we end up with the sh!t sandwich of lost pensions, mergers and "productive" contracts that give us more work and less cash.

Its past time to wake up, smell the coffee and stand firm. Getting rolled gets old and does not serve our best interests.

Carpe Diem

JoeyMeatballs
10-20-2007, 08:57 AM
I don't think thats it. I think after the novelty of flying 121 wears off and you witness the historical events of deregulation, bankruptcy, strikes, scabs, and carpetbagger mgt that you understand the only real leverage we have is labor unity. Even that is sometimes weak and we end up with the sh!t sandwich of lost pensions, mergers and "productive" contracts that give us more work and less cash.

Its past time to wake up, smell the coffee and stand firm. Getting rolled gets old and does not serve our best interests.

Carpe Diem

I agree 100%, airlines are posting huge profits and contracts are starting to expire, so I think the next few years will be pivotal

bigfatdaddy
10-20-2007, 10:15 AM
I agree. Hopefuly the cost structure in the business supports better conditions for the pilot group as a whole.

HercDriver130
10-20-2007, 11:24 AM
I agree..the companies are going to have to let loose the purse strings....

but lets be realistic.... a company posting a profit of a few hundred million on several BILLION in revenue, is like maybe what 6-8 cents on the dollar? I think we will see things get better over the next few years, but we should also be mindful that pay increases are going to come out of the bottom line. And also be mindful that the companies will look at the losses they incured over the past few years.....and their retort will be that a few quarters of profits doesnt come close to wiping out those years of losses. Gains can be made and WILL be made but its sort of like the tortoise and the hare... i'd rather have years of nice steady pay increases rather than trying to get it all at once and force a carrier into the red.........

SEDPA
11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Class that started this week was all 16 737 EWR. However, they are going to be starting 20 a week soon. Next few classes may have some 757 EWR sprinkled in the mix. Just like EWR said, good time to be coming here and the people are fun.

Does CAL start a new class every week?? Mondays?? What has been the breakdown in Oct & to date in Nov?? Any new hires into the 777 again?? Thanks.

CALPilotToo
11-20-2007, 06:57 PM

First of all. About 1000 voted yes because they were leaving within this contract and didn't want to lose the lump sum option. Another 500 at the bottom probably voted yes out of fear of possible (yea right) furlough. The other 1500 just didn't get it.

And the reason people don't leave is because CAL is a good place. And a seniority based system requires longtime commitments. Just could be a better place if we didn't have guys willing to make sure our CEOs make top dollar while we make less.

Karl, you just don't get it and you never will. You will either do everything you can to land a CPO job or an offline instructor job. But one thing is for sure. You'd never walk a picket line for this pilot group. That is clear. Too bad you weren't about 15 years older. You could really have screwed your fellow pilots. CAL was destined to be your airline one way or the other.

Tell me how you feel about the profit sharing going away in 2009 even if we don't have a new contract by then.

CALPilotToo
11-20-2007, 07:00 PM
We just posted a profit over $70 MILLION MORE than AMR and the largest profit among the legacies. Apparently SOMEONE knows what he's doing.

I bet you make this statement at every party you go to. Right after you tell them you are a pilot. But they probably figured that out by the flight jacket you were wearing when you walked in.

David Watts
11-21-2007, 05:24 AM
Does CAL start a new class every week?? Mondays?? What has been the breakdown in Oct & to date in Nov?? Any new hires into the 777 again?? Thanks.

We are still running classes every week starting on Tuesdays. They say this will continue through April with 16 new hires a week. Most classes are 12 to the 737 and 4 to the 756. Some classes however have been everyone to the 737. Everyone gets EWR based and if you are on the 737 you should be able to get to any other base in about 6 months.

No more new hires to the 777. Atleast that's what they are saying for now.

shadow95
11-22-2007, 07:04 AM
I may have missed this in the previous forums, but which aircraft type would provide the quickest upgrade while flying domestic? Thanks for all the help. Have interview on 4 Dec. :)

shadow95
11-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Latest class...started 18SEP...had 16 new hires with 12 73 slots and 4 756 slots. Top guy, one in the middle and the second and third from the bottom took the 756. All out of EWR. Rumor is guys are holding 73 lines off of IOE or very soon after...that's why I took em! The next few classes (of 16/week) have the same breakdown.
Rolo,

Does 756 mean both 757 and 767? Thanks.

shadow95
11-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Riddler asked this question and received no response. I am curious of the answer myself?

Right now SWA upgrade time is anywhere from 7-10 years while CAL is significantly shorter. I know there are + and - for both companies, but doesn'e upgrade time play a huge role?

Time to eat some turkey now. Happy Thanksgiving.:)

JoeyMeatballs
11-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Riddler asked this question and received no response. I am curious of the answer myself?

Right now SWA upgrade time is anywhere from 7-10 years while CAL is significantly shorter. I know there are + and - for both companies, but doesn'e upgrade time play a huge role?

Time to eat some turkey now. Happy Thanksgiving.:)

theres a reason why CAL upgrades are so junior, a little something called abuse and QOL

David Watts
11-22-2007, 09:16 AM
I may have missed this in the previous forums, but which aircraft type would provide the quickest upgrade while flying domestic? Thanks for all the help. Have interview on 4 Dec. :)

737 EWR is quickest upgrade. Last bid it went to 23 months on propety. It won't stay like that, plan on probably 4-5 years.

Good luck in the interview.

David Watts
11-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Rolo,

Does 756 mean both 757 and 767? Thanks.

If you are on the 756 you fly the 757-200, 757-300, 767-200, and the
767-400. Only based in EWR and IAH.

Cork32
11-24-2007, 02:52 PM
I start class in Jan. I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are between starting on the 756 vice the 73 (should I get the option). Hourly pay, obviously for the 756, but what else is there? Trips, sitting reserve, etc. Would it be tough picking up as a 73 captain if all you had been was a 756 FO? Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

luv757
11-24-2007, 04:51 PM
I start class in Jan. I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are between starting on the 756 vice the 73 (should I get the option). Hourly pay, obviously for the 756, but what else is there? Trips, sitting reserve, etc. Would it be tough picking up as a 73 captain if all you had been was a 756 FO? Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

First year pay it is irrelevant what you fly, we get paid the same lousy rate no matter what. Trips are generally more commutable on the 756 but the schedule when you are junior can be much worse (my opinion). I know plenty of 756 guys that have worked 9-15 days in a row and junior guys basically only get 12 days off a month. On the 73 I average 14-15 off a month and peaked in November with 17 days off.

P-Funk
11-25-2007, 07:19 AM
luv757,

Do you commute to the 737? My wife's job might move us from SoCal (SNA) to Denver, and I'm looking at the pros and cons of the commutes from these locations. Do you think the commute to EWR would be easier from DEN?

Thanks in advance.

P

TankerDan
11-25-2007, 07:45 AM
P-Funk,
The EWR 757 trips would be much easier to commute to from either SoCal or DEN. I thought about moving out to Colorado but after talking to some of the commuters from DEN looks like I might wait a few decades for all the old guys from the abandoned DEN base to retire. Seats are tough to get even for some of those with 18+ years. If we increased some of the capacity out there it would obviously help too. Depending on your wife's job it might be worth the pain though. Good Luck.

luv757
11-25-2007, 05:22 PM
P-Funk,
The EWR 757 trips would be much easier to commute to from either SoCal or DEN. I thought about moving out to Colorado but after talking to some of the commuters from DEN looks like I might wait a few decades for all the old guys from the abandoned DEN base to retire. Seats are tough to get even for some of those with 18+ years. If we increased some of the capacity out there it would obviously help too. Depending on your wife's job it might be worth the pain though. Good Luck.

What he said! DEN is a tough commute. There are a lot of folks that live there and commute to both EWR and IAH. As for airplane choices, what is your cup of tea? Just shy of a year and I am at 54% for bidding on the 737 so I am finally getting some choice even with PBS. I'd be around 75% on the 75/76. I get more days off on the 737 than I would and I know I won't have more than a 6 day workblock. Also now I can start avoiding a lot of the unproductive trips. My preference is to get as many weekends off as I can and work the fewest days. I try for commutability on trips (and have been more successful as of late). I don't really care where I layover.

If you end up living in DEN just be ready to have to get creative on the commute if need be.

P-Funk
11-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Luv & Dan,

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize what a PITA Denver could be. So you both think SoCal would be an easier commute? This is a big choice in my house right now involving a lot of "talking":confused:. Thanks for all the help.

P

757Driver
11-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Luv & Dan,

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize what a PITA Denver could be. So you both think SoCal would be an easier commute? This is a big choice in my house right now involving a lot of "talking":confused:. Thanks for all the help.

P

I agree. DEN is a still a senior hotbed of Pilots while in Southern California you have LAX, SNA and SAN to get to EWR. If you eventually transfer to IAH, throw ONT into the mix as well.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1