Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Jumpseating

jackal24
09-14-2007, 06:31 PM
I work for a 135 carrier. We have jumpseat agreements with a couple of major carriers (but not CASS, so cabin-only). My carrier does not have uniforms (bush Alaska). Would it be a good idea to get a shirt and some epaulets for jumpseating? Does it make life easier?

TheGreatChecko
09-14-2007, 07:51 PM
I've only found that it makes things easier in that you can take your liquids through security in uniform. Other than that, if you are dressed in business casual, you shouldn't have a problem.

I've done it both ways on AS and never had a problem up here.

Checko

chuck h
09-14-2007, 10:40 PM
business casual is best. Unless you wanna spend your free time in the terminal answering stupid questions from stupid passengers.

HSLD
09-14-2007, 11:19 PM
business casual is best. Unless you wanna spend your free time in the terminal answering stupid questions from stupid passengers.

You mean the ones that fund your paycheck? :rolleyes:

lzakplt
09-15-2007, 02:24 AM
I work for a 135 carrier. We have jumpseat agreements with a couple of major carriers (but not CASS, so cabin-only). My carrier does not have uniforms (bush Alaska). Would it be a good idea to get a shirt and some epaulets for jumpseating? Does it make life easier?

You would look like a big dork wearing a uniform that has nothing to do with your job.

chuck h
09-15-2007, 06:41 AM
You mean the ones that fund your paycheck? :rolleyes:

Yup, those ones.

pullup
09-16-2007, 06:22 AM
a small gift of chocolate or the like will help win points with the gate agent and the cabin crew.

scrapdog
09-16-2007, 02:22 PM
a small gift of chocolate or the like will help win points with the gate agent and the cabin crew.

I totally disagree here. I've gone round and round with another guy on another thread about getting "little gifts" for the flight crew when you jumpseat. I'd say about 3/4 of the individuals on the other board agree'd with me - there is no reason to get cookies, brownies, candy, etc... when you jumpseat. A nice thank you and a good handshake to the captain is all you need. I've j/s'ed multiple times with absolutely no extras besides a thank you and it's never been a problem. If everyone starts bringing candy then next it'll be assumed that's a norm - and it's not.

MD-11Loader
09-16-2007, 04:38 PM

It won't win point with most gate agents. When I was a supervisor w/FL it was engrained in us to assign business class by priority code. I get annoyed when I lose a business class to an offline jumpseater, especially when my priority code is one of the highest in the company. I understend that pilots go through a lot to get where they are (I am paying that price right now) but coming to the gate agent and trying to scam business class isn't appreciated. The best jumpseaters are the polite ones who show up before the aircraft arrives in the gate. They worst are the ones who show up in the middle of the boarding process with an attitude because they have to wait to be helped.

FliFast
09-16-2007, 06:24 PM
A nice thank you and a good handshake to the captain is all you need.

With respect, I disagree. It's the Capt's airplane, but there are many gate keepers that are between you and the Capt. But, if your etiquette is just to shake the Capts hand, and it works...dont let me suggest otherwise.

ps. What credibility does the "other board" have anywayz..this is the only source for airline matters ??? HSLD..Freightdawg...????

FF

scrapdog
09-16-2007, 06:34 PM
With respect, I disagree. It's the Capt's airplane, but there are many gate keepers that are between you and the Capt. But, if your etiquette is just to shake the Capts hand, and it works...dont let me suggest otherwise.

ps. What credibility does the "other board" have anywayz..this is the only source for airline matters ??? HSLD..Freightdawg...????

FF

Alright - I'll go one step further since I see we're playing semantics now.

I think: 1. A nice cordial, polite asking of the gate agent is all you need. "Good morning sir/ma'am - I'd like to j/s with you guys...here's my paperwork...can you please help me, I'd be much obliged." [Note - no cookies, candy, etc is req'd] Being friendly with the gate agent works every time.

2. Captain - same as I said earlier. A polite "thanks" and a handshake is all that is needed. Again - no food products req'd. Ditto - works every time.

Alright - I've got all my bases covered. And P.S. - the reference from another aviation board was solely because this topic has been scrupulously discussed ad nauseum. Did I do OK?

ewrbasedpilot
09-17-2007, 12:09 PM
It won't win point with most gate agents. When I was a supervisor w/FL it was engrained in us to assign business class by priority code. I get annoyed when I lose a business class to an offline jumpseater, especially when my priority code is one of the highest in the company. I understend that pilots go through a lot to get where they are (I am paying that price right now) but coming to the gate agent and trying to scam business class isn't appreciated. The best jumpseaters are the polite ones who show up before the aircraft arrives in the gate. They worst are the ones who show up in the middle of the boarding process with an attitude because they have to wait to be helped.

Do I sense a bit of "arrogance" in your post? I've seen NEW supervisors bump 25 year captains trying to get to work! They think it's funny to bump the "almighty pilot". Personally I think it's sad. We're all in this business because we want to be, not because we HAVE to be. I have NO problem asking the FA's or gate agents to put an offline JS'er in first/business class. Many of the airlines I've JS'ed on have done the same for me, and I'm happy to return the favor. The "attitude" stuff doesn't go over well, and I'll be glad to tell the person riding that.................. Politeness goes miles in this industry, and that's all it takes. As for showing up in the middle of boarding, who cares? It only takes a minute or so of your precious time, and many times the JS'ing pilots are busy answering questions that the agents don't have time for. Lose the attitude or you're going to have a tougher time getting into this industry than you think.............:eek:

MD-11Loader
09-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Do I sense a bit of "arrogance" in your post? I've seen NEW supervisors bump 25 year captains trying to get to work! They think it's funny to bump the "almighty pilot". Personally I think it's sad. We're all in this business because we want to be, not because we HAVE to be. I have NO problem asking the FA's or gate agents to put an offline JS'er in first/business class. Many of the airlines I've JS'ed on have done the same for me, and I'm happy to return the favor. The "attitude" stuff doesn't go over well, and I'll be glad to tell the person riding that.................. Politeness goes miles in this industry, and that's all it takes. As for showing up in the middle of boarding, who cares? It only takes a minute or so of your precious time, and many times the JS'ing pilots are busy answering questions that the agents don't have time for. Lose the attitude or you're going to have a tougher time getting into this industry than you think.............:eek:

It has nothing to do with being arrogant. It has do with the simple isuuse of why should a business/first seat on my own carrier be given to an offline jumpseater who has a lower priority code than I do? Simple as that, take care of your own before you take care of the others. It may sound like a jerk statement to you, but that's how I feel. I don't have an attitude towards jumpseaters, I have been a commuter for five years now, and I understand that guys just want to hitch a ride, I just make sure that I am on time when I am looking to get home. I was meerly stating that it is rude to show up in the middle of boarding, cut to the front of the line and ask to jumpseat. Perhaps I should have been a bit more clear on that one.

x183
09-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Is this really the proper place to be discussing things like jumpseating/liquids/uniforms/cass/etc.?

Anyone who should be jumpseating already knows all of these answers. Those who don't might be on forums such as this asking questions, or, just reading.

B757200ER
09-18-2007, 07:14 AM
It won't win point with most gate agents. When I was a supervisor w/FL it was engrained in us to assign business class by priority code. I get annoyed when I lose a business class to an offline jumpseater, especially when my priority code is one of the highest in the company. I understend that pilots go through a lot to get where they are but coming to the gate agent and trying to scam business class isn't appreciated. The best jumpseaters are the polite ones who show up before the aircraft arrives in the gate. They worst are the ones who show up in the middle of the boarding process with an attitude because they have to wait to be helped.

Pilots don't try to 'Scam' a biz class seat, Load. Jumpseating has been around since the early 70's and has been and always will be a professional courtesy AND a negotiated benefit for airline pilots. When I fly on DL (or whoever) and get upgraded, I will most definately respond in kind by helping my fellow pilots when my flight has open biz class seats. Think you and your gate agents have total control over that? Think again; I'll wait until the boarding door gets closed then re-assign seats myself. Since I'm the pilot-in-Command, I'm just excercising my authority. You won't understand this age-old process until you become an airline pilot. Then, you'll see how this works and why it will always be PILOTS FIRST.

ewrbasedpilot
09-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Is this really the proper place to be discussing things like jumpseating/liquids/uniforms/cass/etc.?

Anyone who should be jumpseating already knows all of these answers. Those who don't might be on forums such as this asking questions, or, just reading.

Well, you're WRONG...................their is nothing wrong about discussing JS'ing courtesy on this forum. Is it some "holy grail" to you? Newhires, many from the military, use this forum to gain knowledge and "learn" what to do. We all aren't ingrained with this experience and knowledge as you might have. Geez...............:rolleyes:

Slice
09-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Well, you're WRONG...................their is nothing wrong about discussing JS'ing courtesy on this forum. Is it some "holy grail" to you? Newhires, many from the military, use this forum to gain knowledge and "learn" what to do. We all aren't ingrained with this experience and knowledge as you might have. Geez...............:rolleyes:

I don't see anything wrong with speaking of courtesy, but I do agree that most things should be discussed offline and covered by the union when you get hired. If a guy was a fraud, it's the little things that would give him away. Little things that are often discussed here.

skywatch
09-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Do I sense a bit of "arrogance" in your post? I've seen NEW supervisors bump 25 year captains trying to get to work... As for showing up in the middle of boarding, who cares? It only takes a minute or so of your precious time, and many times the JS'ing pilots are busy answering questions that the agents don't have time for. Lose the attitude or you're going to have a tougher time getting into this industry than you think.............:eek:

Irony? Is that the correct definition?

skywatch
09-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Pilots don't try to 'Scam' a biz class seat, Load. Jumpseating has been around since the early 70's and has been and always will be a professional courtesy AND a negotiated benefit for airline pilots. When I fly on DL (or whoever) and get upgraded, I will most definately respond in kind by helping my fellow pilots when my flight has open biz class seats. Think you and your gate agents have total control over that? Think again; I'll wait until the boarding door gets closed then re-assign seats myself. Since I'm the pilot-in-Command, I'm just excercising my authority. You won't understand this age-old process until you become an airline pilot. Then, you'll see how this works and why it will always be PILOTS FIRST.

And people wonder why the rampers think the pilots are arrogant...

B757200ER
09-18-2007, 06:45 PM
And people wonder why the rampers think the pilots are arrogant...

It's a negotiated benefit, also a professional courtesy. It has been around for decades, and is here to stay. If you have a problem with it, or if you want to jumpseat yourself, become an AIRLINE PILOT.

taylorjets
09-18-2007, 07:43 PM

I do not recall any FA's offering me a "small gift" in order to "win points" when they non rev on my airline.

ewrbasedpilot
09-19-2007, 05:34 AM
It's a negotiated benefit, also a professional courtesy. It has been around for decades, and is here to stay. If you have a problem with it, or if you want to jumpseat yourself, become an AIRLINE PILOT.

Hey lighten up........after all, his avatar says he's commanding a C-152 HEAVY! :eek::D

x183
09-19-2007, 06:00 AM
EWR Based Pilot- I think you misunderstood my point- No problems discussing courtesy- by all means courtesy discussion is encouraged! It's the details I was referring to. No disrespect or arrogance intended- jusy flight deck security, that's all.

scrapdog
09-19-2007, 07:49 AM
I do not recall any FA's offering me a "small gift" in order to "win points" when they non rev on my airline.

And they never should taylor - a polite, professional attitude is all that is required.

ghilis101
09-19-2007, 12:56 PM
if you dont want to give chocolates fine. its a nice gesture and highly recommended for long flights (HNL comes to mind).

dojetdriver
09-19-2007, 01:08 PM
if you dont want to give chocolates fine. its a nice gesture and highly recommended for long flights (HNL comes to mind).

Agreed. I don't know if Scrap has ever JS'ed international and not on his own carrier for fun or not. I really don't care. But the times I have done it, I ALWAYS brought something for the crew, like chocolates. Those Hershey's halloween bags work great. Those old Hawaii five-o types really like that stuff.

You would be amazed at how well you can be treated by simply showing a nice gesture. Things like having them stow your bag close to the front so you don't have to lug it down the aisle of a 76/777. Things like the crew letting you spend the entire 8 hour flight in the crew rest area instead of a middle seat in the back because first was full (thanks Delta 777ER guys/girls). Or, making sure that you got a row in coach to yourself and brought a first class meal and dessert, again, because first was full.

But hey, that's just me. I like to say thanks when ever somebody gives me a free ride when I am traveling for fun.

HercDriver130
09-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I used the JS several times a month for nearly 3 years when I commuted in the past. POLITENESS was and should be KING. I JS'd on my own carrier, AA mainline, UAL and USAir and never had a problem. To the guy who said it was bad form to show up half way through boarding, I would guess that in 90% of those cases its because the guy was delayed on the last flight of his trip or on the other leg of his commute. I use to commute from JFK to RDU and even successfully commuted for CDO's one month....lol... but the 727 from JFK to RDU left at 0715 and we were usually scheduled in at 0650.... many times we were a few late.... and I can tell you the rampers always helped out by offering my a ride to the jetway... up the stairs... poke my head in the gate agent...then the capt... course most of those crew knew me and even delayed pushing for about 2 mins one day because they saw my plane coming into the ramp.... all in all I can say I was generally treated very well as a JS'er. Only once did I have a capt give me the business.... but the FE later told me he was just a bitter old SOB....Oh.. I still got the seat he just wanted to mess with me.

We always made room whenever possible on the ATR for guys to JS if they needed to... in fact we had some AA guys that routinely JS's between JFK and BOS and even though it was crowded like to sit upfront in our tiny JS. GOOD guys all.

And to the the guy po'd because off line JS'ers were displacing online non revs.... thats just the way it is.

ghilis101
09-19-2007, 03:27 PM
And to the the guy po'd because off line JS'ers were displacing online non revs.... thats just the way it is.

since when does j/s get priority over a nonrev (with exception to sitting in the actual jumpseat)? ive never heard of that anywhere

dojetdriver
09-19-2007, 03:39 PM
since when does j/s get priority over a nonrev (with exception to sitting in the actual jumpseat)? ive never heard of that anywhere

Me neither. A JS'er is the lowest of the low as far as getting a cabin seat goes. JS'ers are behind ALL non-revs, buddy/companion pass riders, as well as ZED/ID-90 non-revs.

Now, I have been at the gate before and seen something along these lines. A pilot in uniform puts in the for the JS and a non-rev pass. His seniority merits a seat in the back using his pass riding privileges. Ignorant non-pilot/non-revs get po'd, and make a silly comment like, "that's b.s., a JS'ing pilot gets on before ME. That's not right".

What they fail to understand is that the pilot had either more seniority than the non-rev, or a higher boarding priority due to the fact that the non-rev may be a buddy/companion/parent rider. SOME airlines put the companion/parent on a lower priority if not traveling with the employee, like CAL or UAL.

FliFast
09-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Maybe the J/S brought the gate agent some chocolate ??? It's surprising how the jumpseater who realizes that gate agents get the crap kicked out of them all day and night for burger king wages AND offers them just a few minutes of treating them like they are important, gets further then the jumpseater that goes up and does "the required" drill.

I've been on all sides of this equation...but to each his own. I'll go on smoozing the gatekeepers...have had good luck for the last 20 or so years doing it.

FF

taylorjets
09-23-2007, 05:16 PM
And they never should taylor - a polite, professional attitude is all that is required.

Retorical statement. Read the past few posts before my comment. Thanks.