Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Spirit

27 driver
09-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I was just curious as to the conditions at Spirit. I was told they need people asap. Is there anybody on this forum that works there that can provide some info.
1. What is the status of the contract negotiations? Any chance of strike?
2. Is there much chance for open segments to pad the paycheck.
3. General QOL.
4. What does the health insurance cost and is it decent.
I am putting in an app and want to be armed with the latest.
Thanks in advance.

Shrek
09-18-2007, 11:29 AM
1. Going to mediation soon - no new contract for 2 years I am guessing. Always a chance of a strike and it may come to that so be prepared.

2. Yes.......open time is around (1 1/2 pay)

3. QOL is pretty good if you are coming from a regional - and will get better when the new contract comes. My personal experience with MGT/Training Dept/Check Airmen have been excellent.........

Good Luck with the interview when it comes up (who is rec you?.....pm me )

27 driver
09-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks Shrek

Short Bus Drive
09-18-2007, 01:32 PM
People are going back to previous companies. That's why we need people ASAP. Closing the DTW base, little by little.
Negotiations are what they are. We ASKED for mediation. Strike is always possible, but we have a WEAK pilot group for the most part.
Yes, open time is paid at 1.5 EVEN 200% or more if you are REALLY greedy. Helps out EVERYONE. Keeps you in the right seat, and me towards the bottom of the CPT side.:rolleyes:
Living in base is good. QOL WAS good for me, but now have to commute to FLA!!! Nobody commutes there, right? If you like back side of the clock flying, it is great.
Health insurance is decent. Could be better, but...
All in all people are good to fly with. Some good overnights. Just don't party too much so you won't get terminated.;)
EVERY place has it's good and bad points.
Are you being recommended? Ask that person. Hopefully he/she is a LINE pilot to shed some REAL light. Not smoke up your ....

Shrek
09-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Well don't party till you are "wheeled" back to the lobby anyways......... :)

shiftwork
09-19-2007, 04:25 AM
Another suggestion: don't smear animal feces on you neighbors house and car as well.:eek: And if you do...... don't get caught!

x183
09-19-2007, 05:45 AM
People are going back to previous companies. That's why we need people ASAP. Closing the DTW base, little by little.
Negotiations are what they are. We ASKED for mediation. Strike is always possible, but we have a WEAK pilot group for the most part.
Yes, open time is paid at 1.5 EVEN 200% or more if you are REALLY greedy. Helps out EVERYONE. Keeps you in the right seat, and me towards the bottom of the CPT side.:rolleyes:
Living in base is good. QOL WAS good for me, but now have to commute to FLA!!! Nobody commutes there, right? If you like back side of the clock flying, it is great.
Health insurance is decent. Could be better, but...
All in all people are good to fly with. Some good overnights. Just don't party too much so you won't get terminated.;)
EVERY place has it's good and bad points.
Are you being recommended? Ask that person. Hopefully he/she is a LINE pilot to shed some REAL light. Not smoke up your ....

I agree 100%. QOL is (at this point) ok if you live in base. Most pairings NOT commutable as published. Biggest negative (my opinion): General attitude recently adopted toward line pilots by the new"regime" (mgt.). Chief Pilot=Good Guy. Only one keeping morale up. Others recently transplanted from NWA mgt.= Not so good (as viewed by most of the pilot group). Have done good job putting morale into toilet. Good luck.

shiftwork
09-19-2007, 05:54 AM
Wonder why the NWA mgt. that has come over, has taken on this attitude towards the pilot group?:rolleyes:

Short Bus Drive
09-19-2007, 08:01 AM
I agree 100%. QOL is (at this point) ok if you live in base. Most pairings NOT commutable as published. Biggest negative (my opinion): General attitude recently adopted toward line pilots by the new"regime" (mgt.). Chief Pilot=Good Guy. Only one keeping morale up. Others recently transplanted from NWA mgt.= Not so good (as viewed by most of the pilot group). Have done good job putting morale into toilet. Good luck.

Hoping to get a hard line in FLL today (one number off). Actually, those lines are VERY commutable. Only problem is commuting down, THEN flying almost 6 hours to LIM. Or flying up to ACY, then continue to LAS.

"Chief Pilot=Good Guy" ??!!!! Matter of opinion. If you are his buddy, good, if you don't kiss his BUTT, well ....

Morale has always been up and down around here. At least since I was here (Jacob S. days.) Actually WAS UP when current D.O. FIRST came on.

Bad-Andy
09-19-2007, 04:26 PM
(who is rec you?.....pm me )

What's the secret to getting the call without a rec? Living a mile from the HQ, I've thought about dropping by and giving them a resume. Anyone know if that will do any good? Or, who can I start calling or emailing to try and get the interview? Thanks...

Short Bus Drive
09-19-2007, 06:14 PM
What's the secret to getting the call without a rec? Living a mile from the HQ, I've thought about dropping by and giving them a resume. Anyone know if that will do any good? Or, who can I start calling or emailing to try and get the interview? Thanks...

Don't know of any "secret". It USED to be you needed to know someone here to get an interview. HOWEVER, we are having alot of pilots leaving, and the industry is picking up. Dropping by the HDQ sounds like a good idea. Shows initiative (sp?). Used to be Aggie to talk to , I don't know now. But if you go to the main entrance, and ask to see/talk to someone about dropping off the resume...
Are you in the Airline Apps system? Get in there before you drop by.

shiftwork
09-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Denis Carpenter is the HR now but like Shorty said, make sure you have your app in at airlineapps.com.

Good luck..... I know we are hiring like crazy until the end of the year.

Short Bus Drive
09-20-2007, 05:23 AM
Denis Carpenter is the HR now but like Shorty said, make sure you have your app in at airlineapps.com.

Good luck..... I know we are hiring like crazy until the end of the year.

It's Denise (she). Don't ask for Dennis (he).;)

Hey Breck, rode past PTK the other day. First time in that area. (Looking for A.B.C. Harley in Waterford) Saw some old 72s.

shiftwork
09-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Keep driving..... I live another 80 miles north of there. (first year pay, I can not afford toys like you guys over in the "FAT SEAT" can)

JJ bought a Harley a little while back.... did not know that you were a biker as well: Seems like lots of NK guys ride.:cool:

Life has been real nice at NK. Not looking forward to commuting to FLL though.:mad:

Any way..... If you live in the FLL area, or maybe SoCal and South TX, Spirit might be a place you could try;) Detroit area......that is another story now.

There is better out there.... and there is a lot worse out there as well.

IndyAir Guy
09-20-2007, 06:10 AM
Bad Andy, why would you ever give up flying 765 to fly the POS Airbus? Tired of actually having to fly?

Whats the secret to getting a call from a Low Cost Carrier? Low Self Esteem

Bad-Andy
09-20-2007, 06:44 AM
Bad Andy, why would you ever give up flying 765 to fly the POS Airbus? Tired of actually having to fly?

Actually, I decided to go back to school full time for another masters, starting in the spring, here in FLL. (Finally figured out what I want to do with my life, besides fly) However, it is full-time classroom schedule (Mon/Wed, or Tues/Thurs). The only way to do that is going to be flying for a scheduled carrier here at home. I'll never be able to it flying for a non-sched (no matter how much I love it...). Plus, I like the flying where Spirit goes. But, I've had stuff in there for years and never heard a word...

How's the new life treating you?

Beagle_Lover
09-20-2007, 07:02 AM

Wasn't IndyAir a LCC? :D

Short Bus Drive
09-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Wasn't IndyAir a LCC? :D

That's what I was thinking. AND, for a time had to PAY to get on there. But Indy likes to pay for his stuff (737), and still not get the job.
SAT ain't no FedEx or UPS either.

Bad-Andy
09-20-2007, 07:16 AM

I've had the airlineapps in for years. Anyone have Denise's email address or extension number that they can PM me? (It seems if you just call the main number and ask for her, they're too smart for that...) :D

27 driver
09-20-2007, 07:23 AM
That's what I was thinking. AND, for a time had to PAY to get on there. But Indy likes to pay for his stuff (737), and still not get the job.
SAT ain't no FedEx or UPS either.

Aside from the low pay, bad schedules, **** poor pilot utilization, crappy benefits, no retirement plan, crappy maintenance, and low morale, SAI is exactly like FEDEX or UPS.:D

All previously listed aside, it isn't a bad place to build heavy time with quick upgrades. Lots of great guys and the actual job is fun.

IndyAir Guy
09-20-2007, 08:42 AM
Wow that hurts. Low blow man, however I didnt pay to get in to ACA, I was current and quald on the J-41 (thanks Uncle Hullas) so it was free for me. Speaking of free so was my 73 type... thanks tax payers and thank goodness for Workforce Improvement Act. I would never buy a type or a job, never have, never will. You got me confused with the wrong sort of guy.

Beagle, how could you call an airline that spent $400 million in 16 months low cost? No way was Independence Air low cost, just ask anyone who bought the stock at $38.

And Southern Air is just like FedEx and UPS except for... well every things actually. But I must say I have had the most fun with those guys. If they had flight attendants instead of FE's I would have never left.

Bad Andy, I hope you dont give up the career. Your a great pilot and I enjoyed flying with you.

shiftwork
09-20-2007, 10:05 AM

I have no low self esteem.....what are you getting at????

As far as POS A320's: they are new and coming from a guy that flew CRJ's, J41, and Do328s......what ever:rolleyes: I'm thinking the airplanes before that were even better?

There are better places..... and worse. No training contract is a bonus and a free "Bus type"....

Short Bus Drive
09-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Wow that hurts. Low blow man, however I didnt pay to get in to ACA, I was current and quald on the J-41 (thanks Uncle Hullas) so it was free for me. Speaking of free so was my 73 type... thanks tax payers and thank goodness for Workforce Improvement Act. I would never buy a type or a job, never have, never will. You got me confused with the wrong sort of guy.

Beagle, how could you call an airline that spent $400 million in 16 months low cost? No way was Independence Air low cost, just ask anyone who bought the stock at $38.

And Southern Air is just like FedEx and UPS except for... well every things actually. But I must say I have had the most fun with those guys. If they had flight attendants instead of FE's I would have never left.

Bad Andy, I hope you dont give up the career. Your a great pilot and I enjoyed flying with you.

From wikipedia:

"After United withdrew the contract, Atlantic Coast reinvented itself as low-cost carrier Independence Air."

"After its emergence as an independent brand name, Independence Air became known for offering very low airfares: as little as $29 one-way to Florida from Washington Dulles International Airport."

Short Bus Drive
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
I've had the airlineapps in for years. Anyone have Denise's email address or extension number that they can PM me? (It seems if you just call the main number and ask for her, they're too smart for that...) :D

Check your PMs. Also I just looked, it's Denese.:o

Bad-Andy
09-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Check your PMs. Also I just looked, it's Denese.:o

Got it. Thanks. Email sent. Hopefully I will hear something from her. Thanks again.

Shrek
09-20-2007, 03:50 PM

It might work........couldn't hurt :)

Shrek
09-20-2007, 03:59 PM

But alot of your former crews are at SkyBus so for a guy to infer that you MIGHT be that type of guy is not a stretch by any means.

Definite War Stripes for being a former Hullie boy though :)

Bzyflyn
09-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Is Socal still the word? I last heard it was gonna be Vegas, you guys know more than I do?

XJPILOT1
09-23-2007, 05:30 AM
1. Going to mediation soon - no new contract for 2 years I am guessing. Always a chance of a strike and it may come to that so be prepared.

2. Yes.......open time is around (1 1/2 pay)

3. QOL is pretty good if you are coming from a regional - and will get better when the new contract comes. My personal experience with MGT/Training Dept/Check Airmen have been excellent.........

Good Luck with the interview when it comes up (who is rec you?.....pm me )

Is this Chris W?

shiftwork
09-23-2007, 09:42 AM
other then the green tint and funny looking ears.... he pretty much is Shrek

XJPILOT1
09-23-2007, 11:42 AM
other then the green tint and funny looking ears.... he pretty much is Shrek

Chris? More like donkey. HeHe...:D

Shrek
09-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Is this Chris W?

Close........but nope:D

Kingjay
09-23-2007, 01:50 PM

huh?? how can you be close...but nope to another person?? :rolleyes:

that is just wierd :eek:

XJPILOT1
09-23-2007, 02:54 PM

Scott K??...................

taylorjets
09-23-2007, 05:12 PM

No, its kind of like flying a 74 to make up for being under endowed.

Shrek
09-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Scott K??...................

Closer.....but nope.:eek:

Shrek
09-23-2007, 08:28 PM
huh?? how can you be close...but nope to another person?? :rolleyes:

that is just wierd :eek:

LOL......good point.:p

Bad-Andy
09-23-2007, 11:26 PM
No, its kind of like flying a 74 to make up for being under endowed.

I don't know you, but I didn't fly the 74 to make up for being under endowed. I flew it because the company that offered me the long-haul, heavy, int'l job (with a quick upgrade) flew them. I'll fly whatever gives me the best quality of life. That's why I downsized to the "light twin". :D (That and the new company is actually great for a non-sched...)

taylorjets
09-24-2007, 05:51 AM
I don't know you, but I didn't fly the 74 to make up for being under endowed. I flew it because the company that offered me the long-haul, heavy, int'l job (with a quick upgrade) flew them. I'll fly whatever gives me the best quality of life. That's why I downsized to the "light twin". :D (That and the new company is actually great for a non-sched...)

I have no quarrels with you. yet. Only with people like INDY.

IndyAir Guy
09-24-2007, 06:12 AM
Oh Taylor get over it. The industry is to small and life is to short to have "quarrels" with people.

Bad-Andy
09-24-2007, 07:12 AM
I have no quarrels with you. yet. Only with people like INDY.

Oh. I thought your post was aimed at me. Sorry, I misread... :o (But, in his defense, Indy is actually a great guy and a lot of fun to fly with)

IndyAir Guy
09-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Andy, we did have great fun in Chile! To bad we didnt get a Brazil over night.

taylorjets
09-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Oh Taylor get over it. The industry is to small and life is to short to have "quarrels" with people.

Your either with us or against us Indy. By the sound of it, you sir are against us. As you said, This industry is WAY to small.

taylorjets
09-24-2007, 09:21 AM

Those are fighing words.

Shrek
09-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Those are fighing words.

Yeah Booyyyeeeeeee..........

taylorjets
09-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Yeah Booyyyeeeeeee..........

Stand up to the man Shrek.

Shrek
09-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Ordering my hat today to look good in the informational picket line :)

How have you been bud?

IndyAir Guy
09-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Your either with us or against us Indy. By the sound of it, you sir are against us. As you said, This industry is WAY to small.

In such a "Black and White" world as your's Taylor, you must be very understand, and enjoyable to work with.

I'm going to end this because its no longer interesting me. Two people can disagree and not be against each other, lets just leave it at that. I am not attacking "you".

And as a fellow ALPA member I would be happy to stand and hold a picket next to Shreck (and his new hat), and you to help get you a better contract and elevate the industry as a whole.

Shrek
09-25-2007, 12:44 PM
It's SHREK dammitt.............lol

See you there.

IndyAir Guy
09-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Sorry man, SHREK!!

taylorjets
09-28-2007, 08:49 PM
In such a "Black and White" world as your's Taylor, you must be very understand, and enjoyable to work with.

I'm going to end this because its no longer interesting me. Two people can disagree and not be against each other, lets just leave it at that. I am not attacking "you".

And as a fellow ALPA member I would be happy to stand and hold a picket next to Shreck (and his new hat), and you to help get you a better contract and elevate the industry as a whole.

Thanks for your support. Your low self esteem comment came across as an attack on my pilot group. It was derogatory and condescending in nature. I should have been more dynamic and realized you were only joking. See you on the picket line.