Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

ecloebl
09-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Today, SWA announced a new boarding system using numbered boarding passes so that px would not have to wait in an endless line. They could sit at the gate until their small numbered group was called. Seating on the aircraft would still be "open". Families with children would no longer be pre-boards, but would board with the A group (if they had the appropriate numbered boarding pass) or just before the B group. What do SWA pilots think about that new system, or do you care?

328dude
09-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Well it will certainy help with the long lines waiting to board which seemed to be the biggest complaint amoung customers.

sigtauenus
09-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Comments below are not directed at original poster, but rather the px he mentions that apparently instigated the change in policy.

I liked the SWA old boarding system, don't understand the complaints. It was simple, cost effective, and it worked. If you have 149 people ticketed for a flight, it doesn't matter what number or letter or seat assignment you stamp on the ticket, its going to take the same time to board. Even if you are in Group 3 or C or seat 34B, you can hand your ticket at the gate, walk down the jetway and then still stand in line while the imbecile 15 people in front of you takes 5 minutes to stuff a carry-on that is bigger than the size restrictions into the overhead compartment. Standing in line is standing in line, it always sucks. I'm perfectly content to sit there at the gate seat and read my USA Today and finish my overpriced coffee and muffin, and get up when the line is done and walk right on the plane and see what's left over for me. Flown SWA a fair share, and never heard them announce that everybody had to stand up and get in line at the same time.

People who feel the need to stand up 10 minutes before boarding starts to establish their place in line or try to cut in line obviously have the inside scoop on what the best seat is so might as well let them have at it. As far as I'm concerned it really doesn't matter, seats in coach all suck equally. Sitting in coach for 3 hours is still better than driving for 30, so I can't really complain that much. And coach seats are more comfortable than ejections seats, so can't really complain there, either.

kalyx522
09-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Well it will certainy help with the long lines waiting to board which seemed to be the biggest complaint amoung customers.

that was actually the only reason I hated flying SWA as a passenger. I mean I hated that boarding system so much I never took SWA unless it was the only option. Sigtau mentions that he doesn't care what seat he gets, but I believe most people (including me) aren't this way... who wants to be stuck in the middle seat between two fatties or the seat near to the lav? But with the old boarding system, if you want to be able to have a choice, you would have to start standing in line like 30 min prior to boarding, because that's what everyone else does. I just hate being put in that situation for a chance at a decent seat. With everyone rushing in the small area 30 min prior to boarding, it couldnt feel more like a cattle call. I understand it's much more cost effective for the airline, but from the customer's standpoint, it's like having an appointment in advance versus just showing up in the waiting room.

Freightpuppy
09-19-2007, 06:45 PM
who wants to be stuck in the middle seat between two fatties.

If you overflow over the armrest, you should be required to buy two seats, IMO.

Mink
09-19-2007, 07:34 PM
If you overflow over the armrest, you should be required to buy two seats, IMO.

Agree 1000%. But do you ever see it happen (somebody buying 2 seats for their enormous ASS, that is)? Nope....:mad:

kalyx522
09-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Agree 1000%. But do you ever see it happen (somebody buying 2 seats for their enormous ASS, that is)? Nope....:mad:

I saw on "Airline" once the SWA agents making this very large person buy two tix.. she cried and screamed about how humiliating it was and made a disgusting scene. but yeah, normally it doesnt seem like any airlines do that because I regularly sit next to fat guys spilling onto me. I wouldn't complain about it at all because I'm just getting a free ride, but I would be ****ed if I was a pax paying for that kind of seat.. which is why that old boarding system sucked!

av8r4aa
09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
I think that SWA should either use bull nose rings or
ear tags to help the process.

It works really well on the feed lots!

1Seat 1Engine
09-19-2007, 10:42 PM
It's really not a new seating system, it's just a new system for lining up at the gate before you get on the airplane.

captjns
09-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Its not a new inovative scheme... Its been done with low cost carriers all over the world with no problems. The key is to check in early so you can get a low number so you can get that emergency row seat without a seat in front of you.

As far as rotund people who take up a seat and a half... they should be required to pay for and occupy two seats.

o/w herc driver
09-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Spoke with a guy that was actually in charge of test & eval on this one (they tried it in San Antonio couple months ago and it reportedly worked well). The reasons for it are pretty basic:
1. Gives you your boarding priority within 5 numbers so no one will feel like they have to stand in line 30 minutes before boarding to get a better seat, unless of course you care that 4 other people might board ahead of you.
2. Most importantly it caters to the business traveler that wants to maximize his time working on his laptop in the gate area rather than standing in line for a better seat.

Obviously biggest concern was whether it slowed the turn times at all. From what I've heard the gate agents will be calling the groups just as fast, but you won't have to get up out of your seat until they actually start boarding. I think its a middle ground to cater to the business traveler and the people that aren't fans of the MASS cattle call but will tolerate open seating with a little more certainty. As always, checking in online 24 hours prior will still give you the best priority.

Fins Up
09-20-2007, 03:48 PM
The families should have to sit on the carpet for and hour and a half to get their seat choices just like everyone else.

SamFoxpilot
09-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Personally, I liked having families board first. Not so much for them to get the best seats--more for me to see where they are at so I can sit somewhere else.:rolleyes:

Huggy Bear
09-21-2007, 06:44 AM
The families should have to sit on the carpet for and hour and a half to get their seat choices just like everyone else.

You guys must not have kids. Someday you will have that kid, or once upon a time you were that kid.

With open seating families will get separated and you will end up sitting next to junior all by yourself with their parents 7 aisles away. Believe me, letting them board early is better for all concerned.

POPA
09-21-2007, 09:34 AM
If you have 149 people ticketed for a flight, it doesn't matter what number or letter or seat assignment you stamp on the ticket, its going to take the same time to board. Even if you are in Group 3 or C or seat 34B, you can hand your ticket at the gate, walk down the jetway and then still stand in line while the imbecile 15 people in front of you takes 5 minutes to stuff a carry-on that is bigger than the size restrictions into the overhead compartment.

In a perfect world, this would be true. However, not having assigned seats definitely aids in the ability to quick-turn a plane. It's amazing how many people are confused by the numbering system used in the cabin, and not having to reinvent sequential numbering at the beginning of every flight cuts down in the amount of time required to board.

Freightpuppy
09-21-2007, 12:02 PM
I saw on "Airline" once the SWA agents making this very large person buy two tix.. she cried and screamed about how humiliating it was and made a disgusting scene.

Funny how that's humiliating but stuffing your face at McDonald's isn't. :rolleyes:

Freightpuppy
09-21-2007, 12:05 PM
You guys must not have kids. Someday you will have that kid.

Yup, and they won't be traveling on airplanes with me.

the King
09-21-2007, 04:49 PM

I'm pretty sure the last time I went on a trip with my family, I intentionally sat somewhere different. I like to sit down and immediately appear to be asleep. Many people will go elsewhere so they don't wake you up. At least, they'll leave a seat between you.

POPA
09-21-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm pretty sure the last time I went on a trip with my family, I intentionally sat somewhere different. I like to sit down and immediately appear to be asleep. Many people will go elsewhere so they don't wake you up. At least, they'll leave a seat between you.

I just start a hacking cough.
90% of the time, it works all the time.

jonnyjetprop
09-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Didn't WN do this a long time ago? I remember my dad talking about getting a number to board.

Pilotpip
09-22-2007, 01:27 PM
I saw on "Airline" once the SWA agents making this very large person buy two tix.. she cried and screamed about how humiliating it was and made a disgusting scene.

Southwest has been sued a number of times for this practice. Rather than settling out of court they've fought it and won every time. :)

flaps 9
09-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Didn't WN do this a long time ago? I remember my dad talking about getting a number to board.

WN used to board by groups of 30. At check-in the agent would hand you a numbered plastic boarding card. You would board by the number on your card.

The agent called for those with boarding cards 1 thru 30, then 30 thru 60 and so on. If you had boarding card 42 you would board with the second group, you wouldn't be the 42nd person to board. You could be the 31st or the 60th.

I think the difference now is that within the "A" group you will be assigned a number and the agent will board the plane by the numbers within the group. This is to prevent standing in line.:D

As it stands now you could be issued the 55th boarding pass, which would put you in the "B" group, but be the 90th person to board :eek:

newgrad411
09-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Southwest has been sued a number of times for this practice. Rather than settling out of court they've fought it and won every time. :)

As they should. No reason to **** away $ on lawsuits that have no ground in the 1st place.

Large people have a sense of entitlement like many of our young pilot friends. They expect to be treated as if they were normal sized. They are not, and shouldn't be treated as if they are.

You could argue that treating them as normal sized would only contribute to their weight problem.