Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Job Fair in DC

aca-98
09-24-2007, 05:31 AM
Just curious, was the fair well visited. There seemed to be many more recruiters (ie. Emirates etc, as well as contract companies) than usual, how about job seekers?

LifeNtheFstLne
09-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Seemed like less people than were in attendance at the ATL fair, but more exhibitors. Still massive lines for CAL, DAL, and UPS. I was very surprised to see almost non-existent lines at NWA, UAL, LUV, and USair - so naturally I hit all those up. I have to hand it to Kit Darby - I wonder how much that guy clears on average with each job fair?

pilotss
09-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Brief Synopsis:

My favorites: When Great Lakes and Mesa came up to do their spiel. Why to work for them:

#1 GL "this is a great place to come if you want to get someplace else."

#2 Mesa "We are the only ones in the industry to never take a pay cut. Of course we have never had a pay raise either."

#3 A fractional rep was stating how he never thought he would be flying the fractionals but was telling how satisfying it was. He just was waiting for the pilot shortage as he shot a look at Kit Darby and said "I was waiting a long time for the shortage to come around until I gave up and started with the fractionals"

Majors

DAL was doing about a 5 minute screener. Was told I would hear something in 1 week. They were screening people at the door of their room. If you didn't have the mins you were not allowed in. The room was busy to the very end.

CAL was doing about 5 - 10 minute and longer screener. Took a number and waited my turn. There were so many people that they eventually shut the line down and took resumes promising to look over them. I met someone who did not meet the mins, went into the room and was shunned for taking up their time. At the very end the CAL HR looked like they had just come off a EWR HKG flight.

UPS was not taking resumes and they were only interested in taking some names to pull from their electronic files. I do not have a current FEX so they did not say much to me. (I guess I'll go to ALL ATP and and get myslef current for a THIRD time) It was a Q and A session at most. Any other experience from a qualified candidate is welcome. They had a stable line all day.

United was very friendly and was checking your resumes against their computers. Apparently a lot of people, including myself, had the time matrix wrong. So many that they are sending a general email out to all in Oct to recheck your times. If your times do not match up with the bubble questions in the front part of the app you go into limbo. Was told to call one of the reps if I had not heard something in a few weeks and was handed a personal business card.

Northwest was also very friendly and was assured I would receive a call soon.

US Airways was very nice and I had a problem with there online app. It did not even appear in their system. They had some problems with their app process and have fixed their problem. They had a laptop with app info their to check your status to make sure it was ok. Apparently mine did not exist.

Emirates was setting up time slots for initial screening interviews and answering any questions about Dubai.

Cathay had some initial screenings. They have switched to an all electronic CV process. (Yeah no more A4 paper!)

The lines were all at the majors. The regionals were all there except for Xjet and Trans States. The regionals had a few people in line at the most all day. It was nice to see there empty tables. Maybe this will be a sign that the 17k/year will cease to exist.

Daniel Webster University was there. I talked with Steve Brown, a flight manager, and good guy. He is hiring professional flight instructors starting around 40k. The universities cannot keep instructors on site long enough to finish a primary student let. Half the graduating class has a slot at the regionals.

With all the regionals hiring there is no reason beside base location to start your career at Gojet, Mesa, or Great Lakes. Hold out for a month or two. You will get hired with this regional demand. I have never seen anything like it.

The contractors were there but for the most part this was a low time fair.
The were mostly looking for typed people and time requirements that were not readily available. Some of the overseas contracts looked nice.

The fractionals made their pitch about QOL and stability. I think they are feeling the pinch from the regional hiring.

The LCCs were out in force but the Skybus line was not as big as you would think from all the lower time guys running around. Good to see that its not worth it. Virgin was not present. Jetblue was friendly as usual and enthusiastic as JetBlue is, but it did not have the lines it did in the past as upgrade time had pushed way out. Met a guy who dropped a blue resume on JB and they ate it up. SWA is not hiring now so for an odd reversal their room had only a few people inside. They are still no requiring a type but they look at the typed preferably. I just had a friend a few months back who got the job without the type. Airtran had some people in line also but I did not get any info from people that went over to talk to them.

You may not have gotten hired at the job fair but I am sure that resultant interviews will occur for many people at many of the majors.

The process of hiring at most of the majors is in disarray. They are gearing up and polishing their systems and are no where near peak efficiency. CAL is doing well as they have been using their system regularly but ALL the majors were not prepared for the sheer volume of candidates present. The lines were the biggest at CAL and DAL. After people finished with CAL and DAL they set off for the other airlines. I went reverse flow and started with the contractors and other legacies and hit them up in about an hour. The rest took 4 hours. Again, there were virtually no lines at the regionals so stick to your guns come contract time and you will see improvement. I can't stress how many regionals kept stating "these are our minimums but come and talk to us and we will work something out" Many had commercial rating as their basic requirement.

The pilot shortage may finally be here and I do NOT give credit to Kit Darby's predictions as eventually someone will be right when they say the end of the world is near....because eventually , in the course of time, it will be.

MoonShot
09-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Thank you for the very detailed report.

skidmark
09-24-2007, 10:46 AM
thanks I wish I went.

hjs1971
09-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Pilotss hit the nail on the head...my $.02-when I was 23, fresh out of ERAU with a comm/mel/cfii/mei and 500tt, I couldn't even talk to someone flying a 1900 unless I had $12,500 to pay flight safety and MAYBE then I might get an interview (most still wanted 1200tt/200me), NOW, if you have 400tt/50me, you can pick your ERJ/CRJ/1900 carrier of choice and get full pay while in training...Don't like Mr. Darby myself, but he is onto something, never seen anything quite like this...

⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
09-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Seemed like less people than were in attendance at the ATL fair, but more exhibitors. Still massive lines for CAL, DAL, and UPS. I was very surprised to see almost non-existent lines at NWA, UAL, LUV, and USair - so naturally I hit all those up. I have to hand it to Kit Darby - I wonder how much that guy clears on average with each job fair?
I used to attend those job fairs on a regular basis (recruiting for a small regional and looking for a job for myself). ATL was always the largest job fair, DFW was second. The best organized job fair out there in my view is the women-in-aviation. Not a woman but if I could only afford one job fair – this is the one I’d pick.
Pilotss - great report.

JoeyMeatballs
09-24-2007, 11:27 AM
The "Pilot Shortage is here", yet in the same paragraph it was stated that people had to wait for hours to drop of a resume for CAl & DAL, not that much of a shortage:rolleyes:

JiffyLube
10-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Brief Synopsis:

[/U]DAL was doing about a 5 minute screener. Was told I would hear something in 1 week.

Did you hear anything??

B757200ER
10-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Man, that was a hell of a synopsis! Great de-brief! Looks like it was really worth your while.

ultradrvr
10-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Did anybody see ABX AIR there?? I was told they were going to go.

hjs1971
10-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Don't think they were there, pretty sure Astar was though...I could be wrong.

Aviatormar
10-02-2007, 01:18 PM
No ABX wasn't there, pilotss was right on. I thought it was well worth attending (true my first time there) but I interviewed and was offered a job the next day with Air Wisconsin so it worked out well for me. Some of the exhibtors tables where down right sad. Great Lakes cheif pilot was there and nearly jumped me to interview later that day. Seemed like a nice fellow, but 17 dollars and hour isn't going to cut it.

vagabond
10-02-2007, 01:52 PM
The lines were all at the majors. The regionals were all there except for Xjet and Trans States. The regionals had a few people in line at the most all day. It was nice to see there empty tables. Maybe this will be a sign that the 17k/year will cease to exist.

Daniel Webster University was there. I talked with Steve Brown, a flight manager, and good guy. He is hiring professional flight instructors starting around 40k. The universities cannot keep instructors on site long enough to finish a primary student let. Half the graduating class has a slot at the regionals.

Perhaps I am reading this out of context, but wouldn't the second statement explain the first statement?

dojetdriver
10-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the in depth report. On this point, I would gather that it has more to do with the fact that people attending the job fairs are already at a regional/fractional/cargo/military looking to get on at a legacy/major/lcc/fractional.

I don't think too many CFI's attend, much less have the JS privleges/travel bennies to go or the money/schedule flexibility to fork out on a ticket/hotel. I'm not saying all CFI jobs pay poor, but more pay poor than pay well. Besides, if a CFI has the time he can apply directly, and for the most part doesn't need to go to the job fair and get the '"face time" to have his resume looked at.

scrapdog
10-02-2007, 02:40 PM
No ABX wasn't there, pilotss was right on. I thought it was well worth attending (true my first time there) but I interviewed and was offered a job the next day with Air Wisconsin so it worked out well for me. Some of the exhibtors tables where down right sad. Great Lakes cheif pilot was there and nearly jumped me to interview later that day. Seemed like a nice fellow, but 17 dollars and hour isn't going to cut it.

Nor should $25 dollars an hour either (1st year pay at Air Wisconsin). Most airlines have crappy first pay, I'll be the first to admit, but even at year 3 @ an RJ feeder like Air Wisconsin you're barely making $37. Pathetic. People who readily accept these pennance wages are a huge issue on the downfall of the airlines (QOL, compensation, work rules, etc...). As soon as we get guys that realize 25 to 37 dollars an hour is not enough to fly these tubes of pain for 9 to 12 hours a day and 6 legs with absolutely no QOL, we'll start having quite a bit more footing in getting much better contracts and restore the QOL that the airlines used to provide.

Look, flying an airliner from point A to B is about as fun as a rowdy game of croquet at a senior citizen's home. Let's be honest with each other here - take off, A/P on about 10K MSL...read the USA Today for about 4 hours on your transcon, plug the arrival into the FMS, and kick off the autopilot at about 500 feet so you can fly your ILS to a full stop. Give me a break. Yeah, there's the occasional EP (about 1% of the time) or some sh*tty weather you have to deal with, but besides that it's a moot point. HOWEVER, the great thing about flying airliners is the fun trips with good crews, good destinations, good compensation for a relatively easy job (at least it used to be that way), and good benefits for yourself and family.

But - bottom line...as long as we have dudes that are ready and willing to step up and accept these haneious RJ payscales at Great Lakes, Air Wisconsin, etc...we'll never get back to the way it used to be.

JoeyMeatballs
10-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Nor should $25 dollars an hour either (1st year pay at Air Wisconsin). Most airlines have crappy first pay, I'll be the first to admit, but even at year 3 @ an RJ feeder like Air Wisconsin you're barely making $37. Pathetic. People who readily accept these pennance wages are a huge issue on the downfall of the airlines (QOL, compensation, work rules, etc...). As soon as we get guys that realize 25 to 37 dollars an hour is not enough to fly these tubes of pain for 9 to 12 hours a day and 6 legs with absolutely no QOL, we'll start having quite a bit more footing in getting much better contracts and restore the QOL that the airlines used to provide.

Look, flying an airliner from point A to B is about as fun as a rowdy game of croquet at a senior citizen's home. Let's be honest with each other here - take off, A/P on about 10K MSL...read the USA Today for about 4 hours on your transcon, plug the arrival into the FMS, and kick off the autopilot at about 500 feet so you can fly your ILS to a full stop. Give me a break. Yeah, there's the occasional EP (about 1% of the time) or some sh*tty weather you have to deal with, but besides that it's a moot point. HOWEVER, the great thing about flying airliners is the fun trips with good crews, good destinations, good compensation for a relatively easy job (at least it used to be that way), and good benefits for yourself and family.

But - bottom line...as long as we have dudes that are ready and willing to step up and accept these haneious RJ payscales at Great Lakes, Air Wisconsin, etc...we'll never get back to the way it used to be.

Funny you rip on Air Wisconsin who happens to make the most, why not take a look at Republic's 70 seat pay rates, or MESA CRJ-900 payrates, and lets not forget who allowed them to have these size airplanes.................

YOU TALK ABOUT PAYRATES..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT YOU SITTING ALL FAT DUMB AN HAPPY MAKING 30/HR AT CAL, WHO ARE YOU KIDDING, YOUR JUST AS BAD IF NOT WORSE, HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE YET? I HATE TO TELL YOU BUT YOUR 3RD YEAR PAY BLOWS AS WELL...........AS DOES YOUR CONTRACT

I would like to fly for CAL as well but here you are knocking guys at a place like Air Wis, meanwhile they are one of the highest paying regionals, while you are at one of the lowest paying Majors..........but preach on, you apparently know more than any of us "REGIONAL" pilots

ToiletDuck
10-02-2007, 03:13 PM
I've never been to a job fair and would like to go see what one is like. Just finished updating my log book actually. Which ones are the best to go to? I'd like to talk to some of the NJA guys if possible. Just not sure where to find them.
Duck

dojetdriver
10-02-2007, 04:45 PM

And would you say the at the first, second, or third year pay rates at NW, UAL, USAir, AND CAL are stellar?

Bottom line, as long as we have "dudes" willing to show up at the above mentioned airlines and not make any more than an RJ CA till they are past about the 4 year mark, it will never get back to the way it "used to be".

I think it's rather sanctimonious for somebody to blast the guys at the regionals when YOU went to work for some of the lowest wages (at the legacy that is doing the best) as well as no health insurance.

Go ahead, launch into your typical profanity laden tirade that you do on this board as well as FI when somebody doesn't agree with your barely been in the 121 world point of view.

scrapdog
10-02-2007, 05:23 PM
And would you say the at the first, second, or third year pay rates at NW, UAL, USAir, AND CAL are stellar?

Bottom line, as long as we have "dudes" willing to show up at the above mentioned airlines and not make any more than an RJ CA till they are past about the 4 year mark, it will never get back to the way it "used to be".

I think it's rather sanctimonious for somebody to blast the guys at the regionals when YOU went to work for some of the lowest wages (at the legacy that is doing the best) as well as no health insurance.

Go ahead, launch into your typical profanity laden tirade that you do on this board as well as FI when somebody doesn't agree with your barely been in the 121 world point of view.

No tirade needed - my opinion only. And I don't think any of the major's payrates nowadays are healthy - hence the point of my entire first post. With guys willing to accept bottom dwelling payrates - the major's pay, QOL, etc...won't ever get back to the good level it was. The classic self licking lollipop - you got to stop it at the initial point.

BTW - how do you know my experience level in the 121 world? Have we met...I sure don't recall. And what does my experience level have anything to do with sound logic? It doesn't.

dojetdriver
10-02-2007, 05:44 PM
No tirade needed - my opinion only. And I don't think any of the major's payrates nowadays are healthy - hence the point of my entire first post. With guys willing to accept bottom dwelling payrates - the major's pay, QOL, etc...won't ever get back to the good level it was. The classic self licking lollipop - you got to stop it at the initial point.

BTW - how do you know my experience level in the 121 world? Have we met...I sure don't recall. And what does my experience level have anything to do with sound logic? It doesn't.

Nope, don't know you, never made that claim. But when you brag about all your civilian/military exploits, how you were able to make the transition from fighter pilot to airline pilot in 2-3 legs, superior knowledge of jump seat etiquette, etc, don't need to know you. In some of your unnecessary profanity laden tirades and sounding off like you are some old school 121 guy but have admitted that you are new to the 121 civilian world, well, it's easy to figure out. Reference some of your postings on the above mentioned topics

Sorry if you don't like being told this, or disagree with my assessment. I'm just calling it like I see it. And like I said, rather sanctimonious to come down on "regional" pilots considering where you went to work.

scrapdog
10-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Nope, don't know you, never made that claim. But when you brag about all your civilian/military exploits, how you were able to make the transition from fighter pilot to airline pilot in 2-3 legs, superior knowledge of jump seat etiquette, etc, don't need to know you. In some of your unnecessary profanity laden tirades and sounding off like you are some old school 121 guy but have admitted that you are new to the 121 civilian world, well, it's easy to figure out. Reference some of your postings on the above mentioned topics

Sorry if you don't like being told this, or disagree with my assessment. I'm just calling it like I see it. And like I said, rather sanctimonious to come down on "regional" pilots considering where you went to work.

No worries dojet - I respect your opinion 100%. The beauty is - you get to have an opinion and so do I. My opinion initially was not personally directed at any RJ pilot in the least - it was strictly a viewpoint on the downturn of the airline profession as a whole and it's very direct relationship to the guys willing to accept absolutely garbage payrates at the regional level.

Do I have a lot of 121 experience? Nope. Does it really matter in this regard? Nope. If you polled 100 guys right now, I bet 80% would agree with me with these agregious wages at the regional level and the fact dudes are stepping up to the plate left and right to fly for these janitor type wages. Is it the end all be all to the major's QOL? Of course not - there are plenty of factors...but it certainly is a huge contributor. Again, my opinion only. Now, as I said earlier, I'm in no way defending 1st year pay at any airline, CAL or not. I think they all suck. BUT, they do continue to rise at a decent clip at most majors, and they certainly do not at the regional level. And they could rise quite a bit better if folks didn't accept the haenious regional pay and are lining up to do so. I truley believe you get what you pay for - and that pertains to all things in life, not just flying. As guys continue to accept crappier and crappier wages and airlines continue to lap them up where does the quality of our workforce go? Not up for sure.

Last but not least....this jumpseat thing. I have no way claimed to be an "expert" in jumpseating as you called me out. That's BS dude. But what I do claim is that it's not rocket science (just like it's not rocket science to fly airliners) and all it takes is a handshake and being cordial to the crew/captain. No cookies, candy, etc...are required. Courtesy works everytime and I've not had one issue to this day.

Good luck...sorry you take this crap so personal. It's kind of sad. Alright, my "profanity laden tirade" (as you so call it is over).

JoeyMeatballs
10-03-2007, 03:25 PM
No worries dojet - I respect your opinion 100%. The beauty is - you get to have an opinion and so do I. My opinion initially was not personally directed at any RJ pilot in the least - it was strictly a viewpoint on the downturn of the airline profession as a whole and it's very direct relationship to the guys willing to accept absolutely garbage payrates at the regional level.

Do I have a lot of 121 experience? Nope. Does it really matter in this regard? Nope. If you polled 100 guys right now, I bet 80% would agree with me with these agregious wages at the regional level and the fact dudes are stepping up to the plate left and right to fly for these janitor type wages. Is it the end all be all to the major's QOL? Of course not - there are plenty of factors...but it certainly is a huge contributor. Again, my opinion only. Now, as I said earlier, I'm in no way defending 1st year pay at any airline, CAL or not. I think they all suck. BUT, they do continue to rise at a decent clip at most majors, and they certainly do not at the regional level. And they could rise quite a bit better if folks didn't accept the haenious regional pay and are lining up to do so. I truley believe you get what you pay for - and that pertains to all things in life, not just flying. As guys continue to accept crappier and crappier wages and airlines continue to lap them up where does the quality of our workforce go? Not up for sure.

Last but not least....this jumpseat thing. I have no way claimed to be an "expert" in jumpseating as you called me out. That's BS dude. But what I do claim is that it's not rocket science (just like it's not rocket science to fly airliners) and all it takes is a handshake and being cordial to the crew/captain. No cookies, candy, etc...are required. Courtesy works everytime and I've not had one issue to this day.

Good luck...sorry you take this crap so personal. It's kind of sad. Alright, my "profanity laden tirade" (as you so call it is over).

I love it, so pay will go up at the Majors if we "the regional world" demand higher wages? get a grip thats just bonkers........... Whats sad is I make more money as a second year F/O at Expressjet (you know that pathetic really low paying regional :rolleyes: which happens to have a much better contract than CAL) than a 1st year CAL F/O. Thats sad that I make more money than you..................

You wonder why Military guys have a stereotype

Slice
10-03-2007, 03:53 PM
I love it, so pay will go up at the Majors if we "the regional world" demand higher wages? get a grip thats just bonkers........... Whats sad is I make more money as a second year F/O at Expressjet (you know that pathetic really low paying regional :rolleyes: which happens to have a much better contract than CAL) than a 1st year CAL F/O. Thats sad that I make more money than you..................

You probably make more than me too Saab as a 1st year UPS FO...you'd have to be a XJT lifer to reach my year 2 pay. With RJ's getting larger there will be less movement than in the good 'ol commuter prop only days. Whether it starts at the bottom or top doesn't matter, but it needs to go up. It's in everyone's best interest to do so.

PS-Scrap flies the Raptor...I'll give him a little slack in the cocky dept.:)

Tigerpilot1995
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
SAAB...you were making friends. You had people on your side of this argument. Then you went and sounded like an immature punk. Know when to quit.

Thats sad that I make more money than you..................

vagabond
10-03-2007, 05:06 PM
This thread is about the job fair in DC, not who has bigger burritos. Comparing and lamenting over one's pay on the forums is as non-productive as the comparisons between the virtues of the F-14 and the F-18 that my old friend, calcapt, and I used to make. That's why we stopped! ;)

Slice
10-03-2007, 05:08 PM
This thread is about the job fair in DC, not who has bigger burritos. Comparing and lamenting over one's pay on the forums is as non-productive as the comparisons between the virtues of the F-14 and the F-18 that my old friend, calcapt, and I used to make. That's why we stopped! ;)

Especially when you haven't flown either one.:p

vagabond
10-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Au contraire, mon ami! :) FL610 and I found ourselves in an F-18 simulator and we had the most fantastic ride. If you ever want to barf up your breakfast, go fly with her. I almost lost my voice screaming that day, but boy did we have fun.

Ok, my last post on this before I get shut down.

btw, good to hear from you Slice.

JoeyMeatballs
10-03-2007, 05:17 PM
SAAB...you were making friends. You had people on your side of this argument. Then you went and sounded like an immature punk. Know when to quit.

Hey, I call it like I see it, blaming RJ guys who go to work for "respectable" regionals to maybe one day be fortunate enough to be where you(UPS), or he is(CAL), is a low blow......... You were at Express for a while, do you think you are to blame for the low pay industry wide?

As far as the militray comment, he comes off slightly arrogant, the F-22 is nice, but its no EMB-145XR who we kidding ;)

dojetdriver
10-03-2007, 05:46 PM

I never took it personal. I have however seen you take things personal and go into name calling simply because somebody doesn't agree with YOUR opinion. Both here and elsewhere. If you have to resort to that to debate a point, you really don't have a case to begin with. You talk about common courtesy, and it's far from "rocket science". Did you never learn this?

Maybe you should have re worded you post and not come in on a high horse about guys going to work for crappy wages.

For a third time, look at where you went to work.

Since CAL only pays around $30 an hour for a first year FO, and marginally more for a second year guy that elects to stay on the 73, works under crappy work rules, and gladly accepts PBS as a scheduling method, does that mean they only get what they pay for?

Sorry YOU take crap so personal.

Tigerpilot1995
10-03-2007, 09:07 PM
I voted yes on the best regional contract out there. So, I wouldn't get all huffy and puffy about someone taking a shot at me. It is obviously unfounded.

My only point is to just relax. You may or may not be one, but you sounded like a young arrogant punk. Be better than that.

Blue skies and best wishes in your career.

You were at Express for a while, do you think you are to blame for the low pay industry wide?

Beagle_Lover
10-04-2007, 05:43 AM
What is this thread about again? :rolleyes:

pilotss
10-04-2007, 07:45 AM
I think this thread got hijacked... Keep that cockpit door closed!

I was not negatively framing the regional pilots for taking a 17k/yr job. The statement was to convey that I hope the regional pilots get more pay from the shortage of pilots at the regional level. They deserve it. The regionals are by far some of the hardest working pilots out there. I've done it and would rather leave the industry then return to that working level. I don't have the constitution to do it any more.

Get in, get out, go up.

JoeyMeatballs
10-04-2007, 07:59 AM
I think this thread got hijacked... Keep that cockpit door closed!

I was not negatively framing the regional pilots for taking a 17k/yr job. The statement was to convey that I hope the regional pilots get more pay from the shortage of pilots at the regional level. They deserve it. The regionals are by far some of the hardest working pilots out there. I've done it and would rather leave the industry then return to that working level. I don't have the constitution to do it any more.

Get in, get out, go up.

I agree, but besides the pay I dont see how my QOL can get any better ( I understand pay is huge but all else is great) I have 17 days off and go to some pretty interesting places and I would rather be flying with these guys who I have more in common with than a 20 yr legacy CA

aupilot
10-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Pilotss, Delta also told me to expect an email within 7-10 days to set up an interview. Have you heard anything yet or know anyone else who was told they would receive an email?

Mink
10-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Was there a job fair in DC or something?

pilotss
10-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Update on the UAL web application. I was told by UAL HR that they are in the process of implementing a new web app as stated from the DC Job Fair. They are in the testing phase and emails should go out in the next few weeks to update the info.

If you cannot get back into the matrices do not worry. Hang tight and wait for the update.

Sawdog
10-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Went to the D.C job fair, talked with Delta and was told that I would hear from them that Monday to come for an interview. Sure enough, Monday afternoon got the email. So I would say the job fairs work.

pilotss
10-11-2007, 01:49 PM
I got the email today.... did everyone get it?

aupilot
10-11-2007, 03:42 PM
United or Delta?

Cork32
10-11-2007, 05:40 PM
The job fair thing worked for me. Went to the DC fair, talked with a CAL recruiter for 10 minutes or so and got an email for an interview 2 days later, hired today! Bit of advice for those who haven't been to one (I had not before), don't sit through all the companies presentations, leave that part early and go get in line while the presentations are still going. CAL had guys/gals take numbers and if you didn't get one early you had wait a long time to talk with them.

Short Bus Drive
10-12-2007, 05:05 AM
The job fair thing worked for me. Went to the DC fair, talked with a CAL recruiter for 10 minutes or so and got an email for an interview 2 days later, hired today! Bit of advice for those who haven't been to one (I had not before), don't sit through all the companies presentations, leave that part early and go get in line while the presentations are still going. CAL had guys/gals take numbers and if you didn't get one early you had wait a long time to talk with them.

I agree. Buddy of mine told me the same thing. I went to the one in May (April?) in ATL. Jumpseated in on AirTran (thanks guys) that morning, got a ride from the hotel van. Stood in line for CAL. They started handing out numbers, I was 16. That gave me time to wait TWO HOURS in line for DAL. And jumseated back that evening. Paid a little more, 'cause it was "at the door", but I wasn't sure if I was going to get there that day to begin with.
Needless to say I am still here at Spirit, but that's besides the point.
If you are already working in the civilian world, no need to go to the military to civilian transition stuff, or the "rah-rah" speeches given by the companies. Get in line at the company you want to speak to. I thought it was worth the money. Got some insight into how CAL, and DAL thought about some things.

PILOTWIFE
10-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Went to the D.C job fair, talked with Delta and was told that I would hear from them that Monday to come for an interview. Sure enough, Monday afternoon got the email. So I would say the job fairs work.

For those of you that have gotten an interview from the job fair if you don't mind me asking, what are your PIC/TT hours etc?