Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : International Jumpseating

fr8doggr
09-24-2007, 06:58 PM
ABX Air (formerly Airborne Express) plans to open a 767 domicile in Osaka, Japan. I am thinking of bidding it for the upgrade, but only if I could commute back to the US (2 weeks on / 2 weeks off). Could those of you that have first hand knowledge please provide any information on your airline's policies regarding international jumpseats, specifically Japan. Do you take more than one rider? Do you need a seat in the back? Do you normally offer business class or coach to riders? Are those seats in great demand? How far in advance can you book? Etc. Any info would be appreciated.

f10a
09-24-2007, 07:09 PM
All offline jumpseaters must have a seat in the cabin and CASS has absolutely nothing to do with international jumpseating so it makes no difference if you are CASS or not. Doubt you will have many problems on the 4 big ones flying into Japan, assuming you have a recip agreement with them.

TheBaron
09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Sorry we can't help you. FedEx flies into KIX a lot but we currently don't take off-line jumpseaters internationally.

NGINEWHOISWHAT
09-24-2007, 08:06 PM
I tried to jumpseat from the Bahamas to the US. I was informed that it was an ID90 for non-employees of that airline, and you had to be in uniform. I would check all policies.

Tom

f10a
09-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I tried to jumpseat from the Bahamas to the US. I was informed that it was an ID90 for non-employees of that airline, and you had to be in uniform. I would check all policies.

Tom
On who? Sounds like a foreign airline to me.

Thedude
09-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Some of the islands like to make up there own policies. I had same problem in CUN

B757200ER
09-24-2007, 10:19 PM
ABX Air (formerly Airborne Express) plans to open a 767 domicile in Osaka, Japan. I am thinking of bidding it for the upgrade, but only if I could commute back to the US (2 weeks on / 2 weeks off). Could those of you that have first hand knowledge please provide any information on your airline's policies regarding international jumpseats, specifically Japan. Do you take more than one rider? Do you need a seat in the back?

Many US air carriers fly Japan-US, including UAL and NWA from KIX with 744s and 777s and A330s. They allow int'l jumpseaters if there is an open seat. Show up early, have a back-up, it can be done. But it is a LONG commute! I've jumpseated on both UAL and NWA into/out of KIX, both are GREAT!

⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
09-24-2007, 10:35 PM
...Could those of you that have first hand knowledge please provide any information on your airline's policies regarding international jumpseats, specifically Japan. Do you take more than one rider? Do you need a seat in the back?...
Currently CASS is domestic only so that eliminates all cargo airlines for you. It also eliminates the "real" jumpseat - you'll have to ride in the back on all pax airlines (US carriers). I looked up NWA and they are flying from Detroit to Osaka, Minneapolis to Nagoya (through Narita), and from Minneapolis to Narita (pretty long drive from Osaka I think). I’d say, try to contact NWA jumpseat coordinator and maybe he/she can give you some feedback?

Also, is the left seat worth lots of extra dough? If so, if you really have to, the coach ticket from Detroit to Osaka and two weeks later back to Detroit will cost you $1009.20 ($1056.71 Total Price) according to their website. I'm just saying it might be an option if everything else fails. Good luck.

themotleyfool
09-25-2007, 04:53 AM
I tried to go down to Santiago on Delta and I was told I had to buy an ID-90, I was in uniform and everything.

⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
09-25-2007, 05:17 AM
I tried to go down to Santiago on Delta and I was told I had to buy an ID-90, I was in uniform and everything.
So the flight was full, correct? I've jumpseated several times to Europe on Delta (riding in the back). All I had to pay was the international jumpseat tax (total ~$25 both ways)

f10a
09-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Also remember Delta requires jumpseaters to check in 75 minutes prior to departure for international flights! Although I am still not sure if this applies to flights from overseas back to the USA since nobody seems to know the answer. I learned the hard way about this one!

dojetdriver
09-25-2007, 07:04 AM
Currently CASS is domestic only so that eliminates all cargo airlines for you. It also eliminates the "real" jumpseat - you'll have to ride in the back on all pax airlines (US carriers). I looked up NWA and they are flying from Detroit to Osaka, Minneapolis to Nagoya (through Narita), and from Minneapolis to Narita (pretty long drive from Osaka I think). Id say, try to contact NWA jumpseat coordinator and maybe he/she can give you some feedback?

Doesn't actually eliminate "all cargo carriers", just UPS/FedEx, maybe DHL, etc. Almost all the ACMI's will take a JS'er int'l. Only problem being, the schedules may be erratic or inconsistent compared to purple or brown.

How the ACMI's with no cockpit door can take a JS'er out of the country but the FX/UPS can't is beyond me.

mundo1
09-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Some of the islands like to make up there own policies. I had same problem in CUN

CUN is not an island...

themotleyfool
09-25-2007, 08:49 AM
The flight was open I had a whole row to myself. However I had to buy the ID-90 that was equal to just over 200 bucks round trip and included all the taxes and everything. I don't know if this was because I was asking the wrong person or not but that is what the ticket agent at ATL said.

⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
09-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Doesn't actually eliminate "all cargo carriers", just UPS/FedEx, maybe DHL, etc. Almost all the ACMI's will take a JS'er int'l. Only problem being, the schedules may be erratic or inconsistent compared to purple or brown.

How the ACMI's with no cockpit door can take a JS'er out of the country but the FX/UPS can't is beyond me.

Didn't know that...

⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
09-25-2007, 05:39 PM
The flight was open I had a whole row to myself. However I had to buy the ID-90 that was equal to just over 200 bucks round trip and included all the taxes and everything. I don't know if this was because I was asking the wrong person or not but that is what the ticket agent at ATL said.
When I do international jumpseat on them I show up at the gate at least three hours early to make sure all paperwork is in order and to talk to the right person (some gate agents have never had an international jumpseater). Also, they issue you a "ticket" which is for the jumpseat tax.

dojetdriver
09-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Didn't know that...

Well, one MINOR correction. Atlas will not take a JS'e to New Zealand. Has to do with a stipulation in their contract with AZ so it's not Atlas's fault.

I relation to your post above. Always a good idea to get there early (on BOTH ends) as well as grab some JS forms when leaving the US in case they have none where you are coming from. I know, probably not required anymore, but always a good idea to have them in case somebody on the other end decides to be a stickler about something.

Thedude
09-25-2007, 06:09 PM
CUN is not an island...
No $hit but they do have the same mentality

TipsyMcStagger
05-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Bumping an old thread; might possibly try to JS to CUN this weekend.

Anything I need to know about jumping back to the states?

TIA.

Tipsy

Bolo
05-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Make sure you pay your taxes and have your passport. Other than that show up at least two hours just to be sure.

freezingflyboy
05-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Bumping an old thread; might possibly try to JS to CUN this weekend.

Anything I need to know about jumping back to the states?

TIA.

Tipsy

Depending on who you're flying on, you will probably have to pay the departure taxes in CASH. I say again, CASH. For whatever reason, they will typically not take credit cards to pay non-rev departure taxes. I've always wondered why. Probably disappears into someones pocket.

BTW, great avatar FOTC rocks

TipsyMcStagger
05-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Depending on who you're flying on, you will probably have to pay the departure taxes in CASH. I say again, CASH. For whatever reason, they will typically not take credit cards to pay non-rev departure taxes. I've always wondered why. Probably disappears into someones pocket.

BTW, great avatar FOTC rocks
Most likely CAL.

Thanks for the info.

Tipsy

freezingflyboy
05-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Most likely CAL.

Thanks for the info.

Tipsy
In the past, I would non-rev to Mexico pretty frequently and CAL is who I have the most experience with. However, it's been a little over a year since I've non-reved down there but in the past, every CAL station I've been to wants the departure taxes in cash. I always got in the habit of stopping at the ticket counter when I arrived in Mexico and asking what the departure taxes were so I would be prepared on the return leg (and know how much to take out of my beer money:D ).

TipsyMcStagger
05-09-2011, 06:59 PM
I always got in the habit of stopping at the ticket counter when I arrived in Mexico and asking what the departure taxes were so I would be prepared on the return leg (and know how much to take out of my beer money:D ).I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks.

Tipsy

syd111
05-09-2011, 07:06 PM
United will take credit cards in cancun, but I would double check with the agents.

2bennySODC6
05-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Took Delta first class from CUN to LAX, paid taxes with credit/debit card. It's a good idea to show up 2 hours before. It's not a good idea to drive scooter on beach with beer in hand. Have fun.

A Pilot
05-10-2011, 05:48 AM
How about jumpseating from the US to Mexico? Do you need to pay taxes for that flight? Or is the trip south about as easy as a domestic jumpseat except of course, have passport?
Thanks

wmarti31
05-10-2011, 10:23 AM
United will take credit cards in cancun, but I would double check with the agents.

We took United in January from CUN to DEN, and the departure taxes had to be paid in cash-Mexican pesos only

2bennySODC6
05-10-2011, 10:33 AM
How about jumpseating from the US to Mexico? Do you need to pay taxes for that flight? Or is the trip south about as easy as a domestic jumpseat except of course, have passport?
Thanks

Well, I always have my passport with me whether Im jumping domestic or international. I have never paid any taxes going into Mexico and yes, that trip is about as easy as any domestic jumpseat.:D

miller
05-10-2011, 06:06 PM
I just came back from Mexico on CAL the other day. There's no fee to get out of the US and I was able to pay the $60 exit tax at the ticket counter with a credit card in US dollars.

Rumor I heard is that there will be a new rule in the next several weeks allowing flight deck access for international flights, but take for what it's worth, a rumor :o

dojetdriver
05-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Rumor I heard is that there will be a new rule in the next several weeks allowing flight deck access for international flights, but take for what it's worth, a rumor :o

It's not rumor, it's fact.

However, by the time it filters down to each individual cass airline/air carrier could take quite a while. So just because it's been "OK'd", I wouldn't expect it take effect anytime soon.

ualratt
05-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Here is a thread in progress on the subject...

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/major/58718-new-jumpseat-rules.html

Are you orange yet??