Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : J/S Question for Southwest Pilots

BYUFlyr
09-24-2007, 09:35 PM
First I'd like to express appreciation for the many rides I've gotten to/from work on Southwest. I just have one question regarding the boarding process when I jumpseat on SWA: I thought I was supposed to board last in order to avoid disturbing the boarding process when I ask to speak with the captain. However, the last few times that I've hitched a ride on SWA I noticed there was a line of jumpseaters in the "pre-board" section so I just jumped in with them.

Being relatively new to the industry I don't want to step on anyone's toes or practice poor jumpseating etiquette out of ignorance. So when should I board? Pre-board or last?

Thanks.

C17MooseDriver
09-24-2007, 11:04 PM
The protocol is to preboard so you can talk to the Capt. That's with SWA, with other airlines, I usually ask the gate agent.

BYUFlyr
09-25-2007, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the info....

⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
09-25-2007, 05:50 AM
... I thought I was supposed to board last in order to avoid disturbing the boarding process when I ask to speak with the captain. However, the last few times that I've hitched a ride on SWA I noticed there was a line of jumpseaters in the "pre-board" section so I just jumped in with them ...
I've commuted on SWA for years and they've always been great to me. As long as I can remember, their policy has been for all jumpseaters to pre-board specifically "in order to avoid disturbing the boarding process."

That's one of the things they've always been famous for - common sense ... and it does make most sense as most of us leave our flight bags outside the aircraft while we introduce ourselves to the crew and get the captains permission to enter the ship. Then we have to go back out to get the bags and if it's in the middle of boarding, now you are "disturbing the boarding process."

Having said that, about 3 months ago, there was a new station agent being trained in LAS and when I introduced myself the "instructor" who was teaching the new lady how jumpseating worked, etc. She also said that "technically they're supposed to pre-board ONLY IF they actually ride in the cockpit. If they ride in the back, they are to board with everyone else; however, we normally let them pre-board anyways."

I was suprised to hear this, so when she was done instructing the new station agent (and since there was no one else in line behind me) I asked the “instructor" if someone really had to ride in the cockpit in order to pre-board? I said that as long as I’d been jumpseating this was the first time I’d heard of the rule.

She said, yeah it's a new rule, we got a memo about it but no one likes it and no one follows it. While she was explaining she even pulled up the memo on her computer and asked me to come around to check it out. Sure enough, everything she said was right there in writing.

I sure hope this rule won't ever be enforced. She said that during her shifts several SWA captains had specifically requested that all jumpseaters pre-board despite the memo so hopefully this rule will be short-lived. I've commuted on SWA for so many years and it's always been great. I hope they'll use the "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" rule for this.

Thanks to all SWA employees for being so great to us commuting folks...

328dude
09-25-2007, 06:19 AM
Never heard that, and is news to me, but I haven't seen anyone enforce it. Grap a seat in the back and not the exit row. Other than that, have a ball.

BYUFlyr
09-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies.... it makes sense to pre-board.... just don't take the exit rows, got it! Thanks again for all the rides!

Bukowski
10-26-2007, 04:59 AM
As always, thanks SWA pilots for giving us freight dogs a ride...

Does anyone have the non-rev listing number handy?

StripAlert
10-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Does anyone have the non-rev listing number handy?

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/major-national-lcc/southwest.html

Spartan07
10-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Never heard that, and is news to me, but I haven't seen anyone enforce it. Grap a seat in the back and not the exit row. Other than that, have a ball.

328, what is the policy regarding the exit row? Why would you not want someone familiar with aircraft emergency operations to be there?

Widow's Son
10-26-2007, 01:36 PM
The exit row window seat has no seat in front of it so it has a ton of legroom and is highly prized by frequent flyers and road warriors, especially if they've recently had surgery or have another reason that their legs need room. They get really ticked if they have checked in early to get the seat and then some preboarder or non-rev bops up last minute and scores the seat.

ChinsFive
10-26-2007, 02:09 PM
328, what is the policy regarding the exit row? Why would you not want someone familiar with aircraft emergency operations to be there?

They are the best seats they have, maybe they want them to go to revenue. Also everyone (except for jumpseaters) that pre-boards can't occupy and exit row: UM's, people with small children, or people that need extra time or help boarding the aircraft. It's easy to make sure this is complied with by not allowing any pre-boards in those seats.

Beaker
10-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Ditto the thanks to SWA regarding jumpseats. I flew with a crew in the cockpit on a short leg after a tail swap to a plane with a heavier fuel load that was now weight limited. The Capt and the gate agent were trying to figure out how they were going to make it and the Capt told the gate agent that I was staying on the plane - they'd have to find another way to shed 200#. Classy.

I have heard that people with minors may no longer pre-board on SWA. Can anyone verify this? How is the new policy working out?

Thanks again for the rides.

1Seat 1Engine
10-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Families now board after the A group.

I've seen the boarding done both ways. It's true that you're supposed to board last but most employees are looking our for each other. I think a great way to do it is to go early if you expect to ride in the cockpit but then wait in the jetway until everyone is on. Otherwise, if you know you'll have a seat in the back, wait until everyone else is going and take a seat somewhere in the back aft of the exit rows.

FliFast
10-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks SWA pilots for taking this Brown guy from Tampa to Louisville.

As I promised, I will get your ebay delivered on-time.

Thanks again,

FF

⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
10-27-2007, 03:27 AM
... Also everyone (except for jumpseaters) that pre-boards can't occupy an exit row: UM's, people with small children, or people that need extra time or help boarding the aircraft...

Actually if you pre-board as a jumpseater you may not use the emergency exit row. They changed that a while ago and I heard it had to do with the ADA act somehow?
- I never fully understood that but maybe since the disabled persons (who are pre-boarding) may not use the emergency exit row - no other pre-boarders may use it either? :confused: Now, many times the FAs will tell you to the emergency exit row anyways but...

Btw. - their non-rev # is 866-359-7967

Go Ugly Early
10-27-2007, 05:59 PM
I always ask the gate agent while filling out my jumpseat form if they want me to pre-board.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1