Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Nwa

ce650
09-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Anyone on this board get the call from NWA yet?

fender1
09-26-2007, 12:05 PM
(For an interview) Yes. RJ guy with approx. 4000 Jet PIC hours.

ce650
09-26-2007, 12:31 PM
well I have about half of that in jet pic time so I guess I'm a little farther down the list. When is your interview?

fender1
09-26-2007, 12:37 PM
My interview is in October.

jiminmem
09-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I have one in early October as well. Just got the call a few days ago. I submitted my stuff just a few days after they opened the window. Still trying to find any info, so far very little luck.

Kargo
09-26-2007, 06:38 PM
jiminmem, is your time similar to fender1s? I also have about half that... the only info I have for everyone is that they'll probably continue the aggressive hiring for more than the 12 months.

PinnacleFO
09-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Anyone know how you would submit an update to them as you build more time, there is no place on the website to submit update, and I have no address to HR

Kargo
09-28-2007, 10:41 AM
i think you have to submit an update to your profile with a new resume. the website says "submit or update your profile online."

flyguyniner11
09-28-2007, 03:37 PM
the pic that is required, is that turbine pic?

jiminmem
09-29-2007, 07:39 AM
I have about 8000 total and 5100 Turbine PIC, vast majority is in the CRJ. I'm presently flying for a national carrier, happy but NWA has been my first choice for a while and DTW is near my home.

JetFlyer06
09-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Got a call also for an Oct interview, I have about 5000TT and around 1100 PIC 121 (CRJ).

flyguyniner11
09-30-2007, 02:42 PM
also just heard a rumor that all new hires at NWA are going to be flying for compass but on the nwa seniority list, any truth to this?

Eric Stratton
09-30-2007, 05:45 PM
also just heard a rumor that all new hires at NWA are going to be flying for compass but on the nwa seniority list, any truth to this?

complete bs...

flyguyniner11
09-30-2007, 07:46 PM
yeah it didnt really make sense, i didnt really believe it just figured i'd try it out here

atpcliff
09-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi!

Compass has about 100 pilots, and 5? 10? aircraft.

NWA had to cancel a HUGE number of their flights in Aug and Sep (20+%?) because they are short of pilots.

The chances of a NWA pilot flying for Compass in the next 12 months is less than zero.

cliff
GRB

XJPILOT1
09-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi!

Compass has about 100 pilots, and 5? 10? aircraft.

NWA had to cancel a HUGE number of their flights in Aug and Sep (20+%?) because they are short of pilots.

The chances of a NWA pilot flying for Compass in the next 12 months is less than zero.

cliff
GRB

I think they have 1.

pilotc90a
10-01-2007, 08:26 AM

New Hires at Compass will have NWA senority numbers at some point. New Hires at NWA will not have to fly for Compass unless there is another downturn, then they will have rights to "flow down" to Compass.

INAV8OR
10-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Hey Jet, I was just wondering if you had someone walk your stuff in at NWA or if you knew how your app was picked? I put my stuff in the day they opened the hiring window then did the sencondary app about 50 days later. I am just trying to see where I fit in the process. I have 7700 TT 4500 Jet Pic, so I figure my times are competitive. Although, I did fail a checkride, so maybe that is why I have not heard anyway good luck

Lighteningspeed
10-02-2007, 07:20 AM
New Hires at Compass will have NWA senority numbers at some point. New Hires at NWA will not have to fly for Compass unless there is another downturn, then they will have rights to "flow down" to Compass.

Only if they flow up to NWA will the new hires have NWA seniority numbers. Compass new hires have Compass seniority numbers. Those are two distinct and separate seniority numbers. Don't spread false information.

cv640pilot
10-02-2007, 08:16 AM
post deleted by author

JetFlyer06
10-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Hey Jet, I was just wondering if you had someone walk your stuff in at NWA or if you knew how your app was picked? I put my stuff in the day they opened the hiring window then did the sencondary app about 50 days later. I am just trying to see where I fit in the process. I have 7700 TT 4500 Jet Pic, so I figure my times are competitive. Although, I did fail a checkride, so maybe that is why I have not heard anyway good luck

Not sure why I got the call over some others, I filled out the app about 3 weeks after they opened up the window and I hadn't even completed the final section of the app (I was waiting to add some training that I hadn't completed yet). I don't know anyone at NWA so no one walked my stuff in.

-Jet

citationdrvrmob
10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
I met the mins on the day I applied (about week after they opened the window), and was about 50 hours more than that when I completed the app process...it should be interesting to see if I hear anything back. That would be a pretty good test in my mind as to how bad they need pilots.

JetFlyer06
10-14-2007, 07:00 AM
Does anyone know which logbook format NWA prefers for their interview? I converted mine all to electronic and that's the one I'd prefer to bring but I heard stories about other airlines making guys fedex their old school logbooks in. My old school one is up to date but has several errors that I have since corrected, I thought the electronic one (printed out in a nice leather binder) would work better since they will know everything adds up.

Bostonian
10-15-2007, 09:28 AM
I have an interview in OCT. Not sure why they called me? I barely meet the qualifications and surely not competitve among those I am sure that applied....plus I have no internal connections....I guess luck might of turned my way for once.

SCRWDbyMGMT
10-15-2007, 09:50 AM
There is no "Luck" in an interview with NWA. It is a "curse" pure and simple. Beware!!

Kargo
10-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Oct. 6700, 3500tpic, 2000 of that on an rj. anyone else get a call for the 25th? lets compare notes...

atpcliff
10-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi!

Part of the points is a formula where you either get more credit for hours/years of life or hours/year since you started flying.

So, a guy who's younger and/or less years of flying get's more credit than the same guy who's older.

I'm hurt because of 10 years of no flying.

cliff
ABQ

John Pennekamp
10-16-2007, 04:23 AM
Here's a good rumor. Rumor is that some new hires will be getting 747 SO in ANC, even though they were told all openings were for the DC-9 in the interview. Of course, you won't find out until you quit your job and show up for class. Have fun with that!

jiminmem
10-16-2007, 05:06 AM
Yeah, that was what they told me over the phone. There will be some S/O slots in November. Anyone know how those schedules are? I'm hoping for the DC-9 in DTW, nice to drive to work for my commute. Otherwise, at least I guess I'll get to see the world.

John Pennekamp
10-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Yeah, that was what they told me over the phone. There will be some S/O slots in November. Anyone know how those schedules are? I'm hoping for the DC-9 in DTW, nice to drive to work for my commute. Otherwise, at least I guess I'll get to see the world.

Unless you're young and single, you're nuts to do it. You will be on reserve in Anchorage all winter and you won't even be a pilot. Hello?

If NWA interviewed you under the premise that you'd be a DC-9 PILOT, then bait and switched you, that should be a huge red flag. You don't even work there yet and they've already lied to you.

newKnow
10-16-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm surprised to hear that because ANC is a fairly senior base. 747 s/o's make more that 757 FO's and no seat up there is really that "junior." (It's not like UPS). Up until this last award, the last guy I flew with couldn't hold ANC s/o and he was a '98 hire. If you do get to see the world, don't forget about the rest of us narrowbody guys. Widebody flying at NWA from any position will skew your point of view.

Molon Labe
10-16-2007, 09:33 AM
To those concerned with being sentenced to reserve in ANC as a 747 Second Officer I can say on some authority that that is highly unlikely. There are still SO's waiting to come back to ANC and the seat is still being chased by some who like ANC.Those chasing the seat have been displaced and now cannot get back because it is the only over age 60 seat in the airline. The guys over 60 are coming in are (with one or two notable exceptions ) are guys who came to NWA midlife after losing their careeer airline. Any way You should have no trouble getting DC9 in Detroit.... Most of us would need to be shackled to get us to go back there. Detoilet! Yuck! is the prevailing sentiment, so if it is an easy commute for you there should be no problems.

newKnow
10-16-2007, 09:42 AM

I just checked out the ANC trips. The union has allowed the company to screw up the trips a little bit. Mostly 9 day trips, with layovers in Singapore, Bejing, Narita and Osaka. There are some layovers in Chicago, L.A and Amsterdam, but very few. They used to have Hong Kong and some other cool places. The only saving grace is that there are a lot of 2-3 day layovers in Singapore.

newKnow
10-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Upon further review, looks like those guys are right. There were insufficient bidders for Reserve ANC 747 s/o's on the last APA. Everyone has been recalled and only two people had it on there cards after the recalls. They got it, too. The most junior one being around a '99 hire. Either you can look as that to mean that things are moving really fast or the company has no ideal of what's going on, or both. There are a lot of people leaving and I suspect a lot of the "ropes" up there are "running out" their sick time......

filejw
10-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Re bait and switch. Guy's not to defend NWA but those HR recruiter types are only going on info from the last bid or APA as its called at NW. I'v seen new hire assignments change during indoc...In this case NW picked up a large contract for military flying on the 747-200 so......welcome to KWI..

Superpilot92
10-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi!

Part of the points is a formula where you either get more credit for hours/years of life or hours/year since you started flying.

So, a guy who's younger and/or less years of flying get's more credit than the same guy who's older.

I'm hurt because of 10 years of no flying.

cliff
ABQ

Then that explains some for me. I am in the hat now also for, I have no idea how i got called. No internal rec, 3000+ hours TT 250ish TPIC 121 College degree, 26 years old. I am supposed to interview next month. We will see what happens. I am excited about the opportunity. If anyone has done the interview and dont mind PMing me i would appreciate it. I was thinking about doing a sim prep but i am hearing that you wont know what sim until that day? Any truth to that? Thanks

johnso29
10-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Superpilot92, check you PM's.

Superpilot92
10-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Superpilot92, check you PM's.

PM'd back .

Superpilot92
10-23-2007, 09:22 PM
anyone know where i can do a sim prep for a NWA interview?

jiminmem
10-24-2007, 04:35 AM
Don't worry that much about the sim. Just make sure to use CRM and have your instrument scan going. Its a little different after flying with an FMS and having a nice picture in front of you. Its a very basic profile and they will go over it with you before hand.

JoeyMeatballs
10-24-2007, 04:44 AM
I cant believe anyone would hesitate to take a job at NWA, a major airline that flies all over the world with very large airplanes, has a lot of airplanes on order and a very ticked off pilot group that wants their money back, a lot of room for potential, and you would be getting on early on the hiring, you would be nuts not to go, GOOD LUCK

aircraftdriver
10-24-2007, 07:00 AM
I cant believe anyone would hesitate to take a job at NWA, a major airline that flies all over the world with very large airplanes, has a lot of airplanes on order and a very ****ed off pilot group that wants their money back, a lot of room for potential, and you would be getting on early on the hiring, you would be nuts not to go, GOOD LUCK

One of the best Pro NWA arguments I've read yet.

filejw
10-24-2007, 07:46 AM
W;)ell especially if your young he has a valid point....;)

Superpilot92
10-24-2007, 08:26 AM
I cant believe anyone would hesitate to take a job at NWA, a major airline that flies all over the world with very large airplanes, has a lot of airplanes on order and a very ****ed off pilot group that wants their money back, a lot of room for potential, and you would be getting on early on the hiring, you would be nuts not to go, GOOD LUCK

I completely agree thats why i applied. If i get past the interview I will personally give you a Seniority Bump :)

JoeyMeatballs
10-24-2007, 09:50 AM
I completely agree thats why i applied. If i get past the interview I will personally give you a Seniority Bump :)

lord knows Im going to need it ;)

newKnow
10-24-2007, 10:01 AM

VERY, VERY ****ed off!!!

maddogmax
10-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Know how to enter holding and proper speeds/timing in a round dial airplane. So far that has been the biggest problem with growing up on glass. Just a hint

johnso29
10-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Know how to enter holding and proper speeds/timing in a round dial airplane. So far that has been the biggest problem with growing up on glass. Just a hint

Gonna have to study that one. The glass and FMS has made me lazy. I'll be ready for the interview on the 29th.

Superpilot92
10-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Gonna have to study that one. The glass and FMS has made me lazy. I'll be ready for the interview on the 29th.

You got that right;)

citationdrvrmob
10-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Seems like 121 time might be required... any 91/135 guys out there who have applied and gotten a call?

IHateMgmt
10-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Seems like 121 time might be required... any 91/135 guys out there who have applied and gotten a call?

121 time is not a requirement but a HUGE plus.

JetFlyer06
10-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Another couple of questions for the NWA guys out there:

Can you provide any additional info on the 401k program? I read it's at 5% right now and goes to 6% next year, are there more annual increases scheduled?

What is the 3% pilot employer contribution that kicks in after one year of service mentioned in the benefit packet they give to the interviewees?

How many days off on RSV? Callouts?

Commuter policy?

How long can one expect to be on RSV in a junior base like DTW?

Are there any seat locks? if so, how long? Any provisions for not getting your first choice in a/c initial training (ie if my 1st choice was 319/320 DTW and I got DC9 DTW can I bid for a A319/320 position as soon as one is available or am I seat locked in the 9 for a set period?

How does the non-rev policy operate? Seniority or first come first served?

Thanks in advance.

johnso29
10-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Another couple of questions for the NWA guys out there:

Can you provide any additional info on the 401k program? I read it's at 5% right now and goes to 6% next year, are there more annual increases scheduled?

What is the 3% pilot employer contribution that kicks in after one year of service mentioned in the benefit packet they give to the interviewees?

Commuter policy?

Are there any seat locks? if so, how long? Any provisions for not getting your first choice in a/c initial training (ie if my 1st choice was 319/320 DTW and I got DC9 DTW can I bid for a A319/320 position as soon as one is available or am I seat locked in the 9 for a set period?

Thanks in advance.

I believe I can answer some of your questions. The 3% contribution is just that, if you put in zero then they put in 3%. If you put in 5%, they put in 3%. I could be wrong, but I think that is how that works.

I don't know anything about the commuter policy or RSV length/days off, but as far as the seat locks go....I think you are only seat locked if you change your a/c either in or right after training. I heard if you change it close to your initial award you will be seat locked for 2 years. I'm sure someone who is in class now or soon will be able to clarify this.

flyguy1
10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
[

Commuter policy?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

The 3% is your money, not NWA's. Contractually they put 3% of your money in whether you want to or not.

Reserve is 11/12 days off depending onhow many days there are in the month. You can do "long reserve" which gives you 12 hours notice before a trip. This allows you to stay at home if you commute, and they call you at least 12 hours before the start of a trip. You have to bid this position before a group of reserve days, and it's at scheduling discretion. I live in base and never bid it. I think you are assigned trips first, but you always get a 12 plus hours notice.
Reserve in base is not bad right now. I have chosen to stay on reserve instead of bottom 1/3 schedule holder. I only flew 50 hours this month on the DC-9. I am rarely called out for a short-call(2 hour report time), and normally am notified 20-24 hours ahead of time.

Don't quote me on this, but I think you can bid anything you want once hired. When I was hired in '96 we had guys start DC-9 training and halfway though the went to DC-10 class.
Non-reving is based on seniority for all contract employees and you travel as a class 5. You can however, travel as a class 3 for 8 one-way per year which puts you in the same class as management employees. If you have perfect attendance for one year you receive 3A passes for two. These are great for international travel, because it makes business class free.

Best wishes

newKnow
10-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Commuter policy at NWA:

1. Sign in at least one hour before departure.
2. As a minimum, be listed on the prior flight that gets you in base one hour before departure.
3. If you can't get on that flight (ie. it's full, weight restricted, or a mechanical), then "call in honest" and they will put you on the next flight positive space.

JetFlyer06
10-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Question to the guys in training now for NWA, is your hotel being paid for? Can't seem to get a straight answer on this one.

Does anyone have an electronic copy of the NWA contract? PM me plz if you do I'd love to look it over, thanks.

Eric Stratton
10-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Question to the guys in training now for NWA, is your hotel being paid for? Can't seem to get a straight answer on this one.

Does anyone have an electronic copy of the NWA contract? PM me plz if you do I'd love to look it over, thanks.

my buddy is in training and if you live within 200 miles of MSP you don't get a hotel or per diem while in training. If memory serves that was the milage breakdown for the hotel.

XJPILOT1
10-29-2007, 09:15 PM
my buddy is in training and if you live within 200 miles of MSP you don't get a hotel or per diem while in training. If memory serves that was the milage breakdown for the hotel.

Come on 200 miles?

gorditas
10-30-2007, 06:22 AM
I'm sorry if this has been asked before and answered, but after searching I can only find the question part. APC says something about a contractual raise in January at NWA. Is this an hourly raise, percentage raise, etc...

I received two application packages this week and I'm trying to start making comparisons on paper with numbers and such.

Thanks.

Eric Stratton
10-30-2007, 06:41 AM
Come on 200 miles?

That's what I recall him saying and I thought the same thing.

Eric Stratton
10-30-2007, 06:44 AM
I'm sorry if this has been asked before and answered, but after searching I can only find the question part. APC says something about a contractual raise in January at NWA. Is this an hourly raise, percentage raise, etc...

I received two application packages this week and I'm trying to start making comparisons on paper with numbers and such.

Thanks.

I heard it was like only 1%. First year pay will be $30.09 up from their current rate of $29 something.

newKnow
10-30-2007, 09:11 AM

Thanks.

It's a whole 1.5% raise every year. Not even worth the time it took me to type it in this post.

SCRWDbyMGMT
10-31-2007, 04:50 PM
I spoke with some of our Instructor pilots doing interview simulator checks. The interview sim check is in a STEAM GAUGE DC-9 or generic 747. They are experiencing up to a 75% FAILURE rate on the steam gauge sim check.

newKnow
10-31-2007, 06:13 PM
I spoke with some of our Instructor pilots doing interview simulator checks. The interview sim check is in a STEAM GAUGE DC-9 or generic 747. They are experiencing up to a 75% FAILURE rate on the steam gauge sim check.

All I can say is, Wow!! :eek: I guess people don't fly steam anymore.

atpcliff
11-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi!

Is the non-steam gauge failure rates the same? Or, maybe it's ALL steam gauges.

Is that failure rate acceptable, or will they be changing their sim check.

I now as long ago as 1991, DAL did NOT even have a sim check.

cliff
YIP

SCRWDbyMGMT
11-01-2007, 04:55 PM
If you are called for an interview at NWA, before you interview with anybody, you will have a simulator check in a "steam gauge" DC-9 or "generic" 747. So far, 75% are failing the sim check and that's the end of the interview. They show you the front door. If you can't fly to an insection, properly enter a holding pattern, fly a ILS with a 10-15knot 90 degree X-wind, or fly point-to-point on different radials/DME fixes with a steam gauge RMI, your interview is over and they show you the front door.

newKnow
11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi!

Is the non-steam gauge failure rates the same? Or, maybe it's ALL steam gauges.

Is that failure rate acceptable, or will they be changing their sim check.

I now as long ago as 1991, DAL did NOT even have a sim check.

cliff
YIP

Dude,

I don't think they should change the sim check. It's just like baseball when either you can hit a curve ball or not. At NWA they have DC-9's and 747-200's. Either you can fly round dials or you can't.

johnso29
11-02-2007, 08:00 AM
If you are called for an interview at NWA, before you interview with anybody, you will have a simulator check in a "steam gauge" DC-9 or "generic" 747. So far, 75% are failing the sim check and that's the end of the interview. They show you the front door. If you can't fly to and insection, properly enter a holding pattern, fly a ILS with a 10-15knot 90 degree X-wind, or fly point-to-point on different radials/DME fixes with a steam gauge RMI, your interview is over and they show you the front door.

If you can't do that, what are you doing flying for an airline?(Assuming applicants are from regionals) It's one thing if your nerves get the best of you, but you should be able to do these basic things. 75% seems a little steep, are you sure thats correct? I might believe 50%.

Nopac
11-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Dude,

I don't think they should change the sim check. It's just like baseball when either you can hit a curve ball or not. At NWA they have DC-9's and 747-200's. Either you can fly round dials or you can't.

Agreed. It's basic airmanship. Take off, intercept and track a radial, enter holding and then fly an ILS. If a pilot applicant can't perform a simple excercise like this, then he/she should not be seeking employment at any airline.
Sure, glass can make you lazy, but come on, this is like riding a bicycle!

lear 31 pilot
11-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Thats what happens when you are spoon fed everything at a regional flying an RJ from 500 hours on good for NWA for failing that many people. I have always got annoyed at people who always say how important having glass cockpit time is. All that this technology does is make it ten times easier to fly and degrades your actual steam gauge skills. Don't get me wrong I love flying aircraft with newer technology but if they are going to put you in an aircraft that does not have it you need to be able to fly it to the same standards as a glass cockpit. Go get 5 or 10 hours in a Steam gauge simulator and I guarantee your chances of passing will go way up, thats probably the type of cockpit you all took your instrument check ride in so you just need a little practice. Just my opinion

INAV8OR
11-02-2007, 10:38 AM
why don't we do some ndb apps. too then

atpcliff
11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi!

I think if the failure rate is that high, then their screening process needs to be changed. They are wasting a lot of money on 3/4s of the people they are interviewing, if the current situation is correct.

cliff
YIP

PS-All I've flown is steam gauges. The only glass I've had is completing J-41 training at a regional-didn't get to fly the aircraft. Interestingly, I've flown a bunch of NDB approaches in training, but NONE operationally in 4000 hours of flying.

Bostonian
11-02-2007, 06:39 PM
2 of the 4 guys who interviewed at the same time as me got the job offer. So I would say more than likely it is 50% or less failure rate.

If your instrument rated then you should be able to pass this sim ride (instrument 101). It was as easy as profiles go, you just have to get past the nerves.

jiminmem
11-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Same here. Just basic instrument type work. My last 5000 hours were in glass and I had few problems. Just took a few seconds to look everything over, a little rusty, but it wasn't challenging. I also think 75% is high. 50% maybe, on all aspects of the interview, but I doubt just on the sim. As was stated they have lots of DC-9's and a 742 left, so will probably fly some round dials.

newKnow
11-02-2007, 09:02 PM
why don't we do some ndb apps. too then

Good idea. I think thats in the syllabus for the DC-9 in sim ride 5 or 6. :rolleyes:

Not2fast
11-02-2007, 09:06 PM
If you are called for an interview at NWA, before you interview with anybody, you will have a simulator check in a "steam gauge" DC-9 or "generic" 747. So far, 75% are failing the sim check and that's the end of the interview. They show you the front door. If you can't fly to an insection, properly enter a holding pattern, fly a ILS with a 10-15knot 90 degree X-wind, or fly point-to-point on different radials/DME fixes with a steam gauge RMI, your interview is over and they show you the front door.

I have to think that 90% of the people who interview have never even heard of point-to-point navigation with an RMI! I agree these people will end up in a -9 and need to be able to fly the gauges, but I am surprised that they aren't making the interview a cakewalk considering how few applicants they have gotten comparer to the old days.

ChinsFive
11-02-2007, 10:49 PM
I have to think that 90% of the people who interview have never even heard of point-to-point navigation with an RMI!

I can't imagine that's in the interview much less a needed skill. Maybe I'm wrong.

newKnow
11-02-2007, 11:09 PM
I can't imagine that's in the interview much less a needed skill. Maybe I'm wrong.

Ever heard of a DME Arc? LIT has one as do a lot of stations out west. It's real easy with an RMI. There is no "magenta line" on the DC-9. To fly from one VOR to another ("point to point") we use the RMI after every station to ensure our "needles" are pointing in the right direction. Also, if I remember correctly, to shoot an NDB approach on the 757 you have to monitor raw data. This means you have to be able to use an RMI on that aircraft as well (to make sure you are within 5 degrees of course). Don't fight it by trying not to imagine it. Just learn it. :(

saab2000
11-03-2007, 03:21 AM
I agree that it's one of the basic skills. Make the moving map in your head with the information from the needles. Is it necessarily easy? No. But is it necessary. Yes.

It is, as someone else said, basic IFR. Flying with an RMI is easy compared with having to figure out degrees of deviation with dots on the OBS and the DME! Be thankful there is an RMI! :D

Hope to get the chance to interview with NWA soon!

chuck h
11-03-2007, 07:55 AM

Not true, I just interviewed and my sim check was in the full motion -400 sim, not a "generic". It is true however you may get the 9, -200, or the 72. And the sim is first thing you do.

SCRWDbyMGMT
11-03-2007, 08:34 AM
I spoke directly to the training department and they specifically told me that they are having "up to a 75%" failure rate in the steam gauge sims. "Up to 75%" means some days they have a higher failure rate than others days. They also told me the guys failing have most of their recent experience in glass cockpits. "chuck h" got his check in a 400 so it sounds like they use whatever is available. Training told me they prefer steam gauge sim rides though.

Ve764
11-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Just a question. Is NWA a stickler on recency. Have'nt flown a 72 or 75 as a capt in 5 yrs,and would love to get a chance to interview. Thanks fellow aviators....

atpcliff
11-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Hi!

U get a ton of points for more flying per years, so it sounds like itd be harder for u to get an interview. Im in the same boat.

cliff
pdc (Playa del Carmen)

ExAF
11-03-2007, 07:22 PM
why don't we do some ndb apps. too thenIf you are hired, you will do some ndb approaches. It is part of the training syllabus and there used to be a check ride profile that contained the NDB for the non precision approach. Believe it or not I've had to do a couple of NDBs on the line in the DC-9. It is almost an emergency procedure though. Not very common.

Nopac
11-03-2007, 09:42 PM
If you are hired, you will do some ndb approaches. It is part of the training syllabus and there used to be a check ride profile that contained the NDB for the non precision approach. Believe it or not I've had to do a couple of NDBs on the line in the DC-9. It is almost an emergency procedure though. Not very common.

Ha!

Reminds me of of arriving at YWG early one morning and disovering that they were conducting the NDB approach. Tracked it in real nicely, but was just a little slow in getting the required descent rate going and we popped out of the clouds right over the numbers at about 700 feet. I had to laugh, and was half tempted to ask for a break, but flew the missed and sorted out a vdp for the next approach. You're right, NDBs are rare, but ya gotta be ready!

ChinsFive
11-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Ever heard of a DME Arc? LIT has one as do a lot of stations out west. It's real easy with an RMI. There is no "magenta line" on the DC-9. To fly from one VOR to another ("point to point") we use the RMI after every station to ensure our "needles" are pointing in the right direction. Also, if I remember correctly, to shoot an NDB approach on the 757 you have to monitor raw data. This means you have to be able to use an RMI on that aircraft as well (to make sure you are within 5 degrees of course). Don't fight it by trying not to imagine it. Just learn it. :(

I understand/do all of this. I just flew a DME arc in CUL 2 days ago (our MFD won't draw the arc so it's pretty much raw data). I thought what was ment by the following quote was (for instance) know how to fly from the IAH/320/20 to directly to the CLL/200/45 by looking at the needles and making a heading with a wind correction... Not flying an arc. Or flying an airway with intersections with an RMI/DME. I got confused and thought they wanted something I'm sure is close to impossible.

fly point-to-point on different radials/DME fixes with a steam gauge RMI, your interview is over and they show you the front door.

newKnow
11-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Naaah,

From what I understand they are just looking for a basic instrument scan. It's been a while, but I'm sure it's climb, level off, turn while keeping altitude, climbing turns, decending turns, vectors to intercept a localizer, ILS (10-15K x-wind). Easy if you have flown using steam and apparently not if you have been ignoring it. I think people just have to click off the autopilot and flight director for the few months prior to the interview and they will be just fine.....

flybywire44
11-04-2007, 02:39 AM
Wonder if that means they'll value ATR time.

727C47
11-04-2007, 05:48 AM
last ndb I shot was in a C-47 back in '05,equipped with a 60's vintage coffee grinder ADF that fortunately still worked, had to actually fly the DME arc as part of the departure out of Cabo this summer. Our 727s are strictly steam. I threw my hat in the ring over at big red,we will see what happens.

johnso29
11-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Naaah,

From what I understand they are just looking for a basic instrument scan. It's been a while, but I'm sure it's climb, level off, turn while keeping altitude, climbing turns, decending turns, vectors to intercept a localizer, ILS (10-15K x-wind). Easy if you have flown using steam and apparently not if you have been ignoring it. I think people just have to click off the autopilot and flight director for the few months prior to the interview and they will be just fine.....

Exactly, just fly raw data for a month or two before you interview. Have your NFP give you random holding instructions so you can determine entrys while you are hand flying. I know automation helps us at times,but we can't rely on it, and absolutely have to be able to click it off and make the airplane do whats it is supposed to. Besides, on the ERJ your basically looking at an HSI anyway, its just digital.

fbn0223
11-04-2007, 03:30 PM
A couple of guys I know, who had been flying glass, spent a couple hours in a Frasca sim and one just used Microsoft FlightSim on his laptop. All three did well and were hired.

FBN

newKnow
11-06-2007, 10:29 AM
A couple of guys I know, who had been flying glass, spent a couple hours in a Frasca sim and one just used Microsoft FlightSim on his laptop. All three did well and were hired.

FBN

See,

No big deal. No one is going to give you a job. You have to do what it takes to get it. If an airline, for whatever reason, wants their pilots to actually be able to fly instruments, and you want to work for that airline... ahh, learn how to fly instruments. :rolleyes: