Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.




View Full Version : How would you handle this?


SteamJet
09-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I have a firm class date for airline "A" in less than a month. It's a decent airline with a decent future and I wouldn't mind working there. The day after I accepted "A"s offer, I got a contingent offer (it's a long story) from airline "B" that will become a firm offer (or go away) 2 weeks before the "A" class starts. The "B" class starts 2 days before the "A" class and I would very much prefer to work at "B". Right now both "A" and "B" believe I'm committed to their airline.

As an added bonus, I have an interview with airline "C" one week before the other two airline's classes start. Conventional wisdom says airline "C" is a superior place to work than either "A" or "B". The problem with "C" is if they hired me, I would already be IN "A" or "B"s class when I found out.

It's possible I'm going to have to stiff "A" 2 weeks before their class starts and/or "A" or "B" after I've already showed up and started their indoc training. If either of these scenarios plays out, what is the best way to handle the situation?

I'm already very uncomfortable leading these companies on, especially "B" since it is a small company and I have an internal rec from one of my friends there. It also distresses me greatly that I would be causing them a lot of trouble/expense, especially if I actually started class and then quit after a few days. On the other hand, I've come to learn this is a cut-throat business and things like this do happen.

If anyone has experience with this type of situation, I would appreciate your insight and input on how to best handle the situation. Thanks.


DustoffVT
09-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Be professional, but do what's best for your family. I've been in your situation, I think most pilots get there at some point. I emailed a chief pilot I had given a firm yes to and told him no, and he thanked me for at least contacting them - they had gotten many no-shows. An exhange like that can save a bridge you might need to cross later.

Slice
09-27-2007, 12:31 PM
I think I'd need actual names of companies to make a firm decision. If C is UPS, I'd leave the other two for it. I wouldn't feel bad about leaving during ground school as far as the airline goes, but you don't want to make your friend look bad after giving you a rec. So, maybe turn down B and leave A if your get a C class date. OR, see if you can get a later class at B and bail on A if C doesn't offer you a J. Get it?:D


rytheflyguy
09-27-2007, 12:36 PM
You have to do what is best for you, just as the company will do what is best for the company if furloughs become necessary. Just notify A or B as soon as reasonably possible and be professional in your communications. Good luck!!

Freightpuppy
09-27-2007, 12:40 PM
You have to do what is best for you, just as the company will do what is best for the company if furloughs become necessary. Just notify A or B as soon as reasonably possible and be professional in your communications. Good luck!!

Agreed.....

captjns
09-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Follow your heart and intuition as to which carrier will provide the best longevity with the reduced chance for furlough, pay, benefits and QOL for you and your family.

Good luck... you'll make the wise choice when you have to.

ryane946
09-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Information needed to answer the question:
A = ?
B = ?
C = ?
Home is in = ?

If you don't want to list B (since it is a small company), you should still probably tell us who A and C are.

hvydriver
09-27-2007, 01:33 PM
You've gotta do what's best for you SJ. Just be professional in your communications.

freezingflyboy
09-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Information needed to answer the question:
A = ?
B = ?
C = ?
Home is in = ?

If you don't want to list B (since it is a small company), you should still probably tell us who A and C are.

SteamJet told you all you need to know.

I have a firm class date for airline "A" in less than a month. It's a decent airline with a decent future and I wouldn't mind working there. The day after I accepted "A"s offer, I got a contingent offer (it's a long story) from airline "B" that will become a firm offer (or go away) 2 weeks before the "A" class starts. The "B" class starts 2 days before the "A" class and I would very much prefer to work at "B". Right now both "A" and "B" believe I'm committed to their airline.

As an added bonus, I have an interview with airline "C" one week before the other two airline's classes start. Conventional wisdom says airline "C" is a superior place to work than either "A" or "B". The problem with "C" is if they hired me, I would already be IN "A" or "B"s class when I found out.

It's possible I'm going to have to stiff "A" 2 weeks before their class starts and/or "A" or "B" after I've already showed up and started their indoc training. If either of these scenarios plays out, what is the best way to handle the situation?

I'm already very uncomfortable leading these companies on, especially "B" since it is a small company and I have an internal rec from one of my friends there. It also distresses me greatly that I would be causing them a lot of trouble/expense, especially if I actually started class and then quit after a few days. On the other hand, I've come to learn this is a cut-throat business and things like this do happen.

If anyone has experience with this type of situation, I would appreciate your insight and input on how to best handle the situation. Thanks.

"A" is not SteamJet's first choice but its not a bad choice and is "the bird in hand".

"B" is where SteamJet really wants to work, but it's a small company and it's a conditional offer.

"C" is where everyone thinks SteamJet should go regardless of anything else in his/her life (like most would say about FedEx, UPS and SWA).

The company names are irrelevant.

swaayze
09-28-2007, 07:13 AM
This one's pretty easy actually. Since the B class starts prior to the A class and you will supposedly know 2 weeks prior if B will confirm you, there is no problem here. Stay committed to A until you hear from B and give them as much notice as you can with apologies if you're going to B instead.

As for C, go interview and worry about that later if they offer you the job and you still think C might be a better opportunity at that point.

It's a bit of a tough spot for people with integrity, but this business just works this way. Do not feel bad about leaving A or B for C if you choose, just don't expect them to ever give you another shot if things don't work out at C.

Good luck.

SteamJet
09-28-2007, 09:52 AM
This one's pretty easy actually. Since the B class starts prior to the A class and you will supposedly know 2 weeks prior if B will confirm you, there is no problem here. Stay committed to A until you hear from B and give them as much notice as you can with apologies if you're going to B instead.

As for C, go interview and worry about that later if they offer you the job and you still think C might be a better opportunity at that point.

It's a bit of a tough spot for people with integrity, but this business just works this way. Do not feel bad about leaving A or B for C if you choose, just don't expect them to ever give you another shot if things don't work out at C.

Good luck.

Thanks to all who replied. You've provided some good insight and advice.

SteamJet

Stetson20
09-29-2007, 06:16 AM
Steam,

Which service?

Stetson20

757Driver
09-29-2007, 07:48 AM
It's a bit of a tough spot for people with integrity

Unfortunately the only management with integrity seems to be Southwest. Take all of the offers and YOU decide which one works best for you. I guarantee you that all of those airlines management types wouldn't lose one wink of sleep when they furlough, why should you?

Mink
09-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately the only management with integrity seems to be Southwest. Take all of the offers and YOU decide which one works best for you. I guarantee you that all of those airlines management types wouldn't lose one wink of sleep when they furlough, why should you?

Amen. Be professional, but only you know what's best for you. The companies will get over it, and in pretty much every case would drop you like a hot rock if/when it suited their needs.

If you're going to put your internal rec guy in a bind, at least call him and tell him ahead of time of your decision. I'm sure he'd appreciate that. And I'm sure he'd understand you making the best decision based on your situation.

SteamJet
09-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Steam,

Which service?

Stetson20

*22 Yr AF*

SamFoxpilot
09-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Hey Steam,
I'm w/you 100% and know what you're going through. 23 yr AF guy here, and I am still trying to get used to life on the outside.

I'm still getting used to the idea that I can go work for someone and bail anytime I want. Loyalty is desirable, but not always a given--from either side.

Jettubby
09-29-2007, 04:35 PM
This one's pretty easy actually. Since the B class starts prior to the A class and you will supposedly know 2 weeks prior if B will confirm you, there is no problem here. Stay committed to A until you hear from B and give them as much notice as you can with apologies if you're going to B instead.

As for C, go interview and worry about that later if they offer you the job and you still think C might be a better opportunity at that point.

It's a bit of a tough spot for people with integrity, but this business just works this way. Do not feel bad about leaving A or B for C if you choose, just don't expect them to ever give you another shot if things don't work out at C.

Good luck.

Agreed. Take the first one that comes and then see what happens. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

SabreDriver
09-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Hey Steam,
I'm w/you 100% and know what you're going through. 23 yr AF guy here, and I am still trying to get used to life on the outside.

I'm still getting used to the idea that I can go work for someone and bail anytime I want. Loyalty is desirable, but not always a given--from either side.



Loyalty cannot be bought, but it can be rented. :D

SaltyDog
09-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey Steam,
I'm w/you 100% and know what you're going through. 23 yr AF guy here, and I am still trying to get used to life on the outside.

I'm still getting used to the idea that I can go work for someone and bail anytime I want. Loyalty is desirable, but not always a given--from either side.

It does take getting used to with a mil background. Similiarily, why do you go USAF? Maybe it was yout first choice, but if that had not worked, would you have gone USMC/Navy? Often the answer is yep!
Airlines, It is only business. Nothing personal. Most professionals understand this and don't take it personal. I'm UPS because SWA and FEDEX were not shopping when I was in the market. <g> Any one of the those I would have been thrilled. All fantastic companies. I turned down DHL (was a poolie at both UPS and DHL) Started at UPS and one week into GS when DHL called with a start date. When I called HR to politely turn it down, the HR woman was extraordinarily nice and congratulatory and thanked me for a prompt response. She was class!



Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1