Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Nwa

flyguyniner11
09-28-2007, 03:32 PM
just curious on current NWA pilots thoughts on the company, any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated thanks!

flyguy1
09-28-2007, 06:58 PM
What does having an uncle retired from NWA have to with being a shoo-in for a job?

flyguyniner11
09-28-2007, 07:05 PM
wow sorry i asked, and he's told me that he would be able to help me out, i meet the mins for the job now, i'd def wait to apply and i would have some turbine pic before i applied, whats with the annimosity

ce650
09-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Know a retired NWA guy who was also in the training dept . flew everything they had on the property except the DC10 . retired on the 747-400 . instructed on the 9, A320, 757, and the 400 . well , he couldn't pull his son in so what makes you think you have this job all locked up??

careerpilot
09-28-2007, 09:42 PM
My dad worked there for 33 years and he can't get me an interview. I wouldn't start counting your chickens quite yet.

Molon Labe
09-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Yes, I think that a retired uncle being referred to in the context as basis for a shoe in hire is a bit aggravating......Especially when coming from a regional FO, It is always good decorum to at least presume that the hiring at a legacy carrier no matter how down and out, will be at least some degree of challenge. Your post that is it's tone trivializes the job at NWA at least in this reader's view and yes among some that would cause some animosity. Especially after all that has gone on in the past few years .

GetErDun
09-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Man, its gonna be a lonely walk back to the regioanl forums....

flyguy1
09-29-2007, 05:38 AM
Now that we have covered the tone of your post, I suppose you desreve an answer. I, unlike many who post on the internet, really like my job at NWA. I live in base and have spent almost all of my life in Mineapolis. I believe this makes all the difference.
Though my very unscientific study I have found that of those that dislike or even hate their life at NWA about 90% commute. The reverse is also true, those that like or even love their job, live in base. This would explain why the tone in DTW is generally negative(most pilots commute to DTW) and why the tone in MSP is generally more positive(I would guess a majority live in or near MSP).
I have been flying with very junior guys on the DC-9, most of which have come off furlough and almost without exception, they are thrilled to be back,and seem to enjoy the job.
All to say, it's not what it used to be but if you live in base it's still a pretty good job. The same could be said of UAL, DAL,USAirways etc.

flyguyniner11
09-29-2007, 05:43 AM
i dont really think i'm an shoe in, i just think that my chances at nwa are better there than any other major because i know someone, i'm not trying to be cocky or anything i know it would def be a challenge to get hired, i guess i should've just asked about how people like it w/o the pretext

XJPILOT1
09-29-2007, 06:19 AM
What does having an uncle retired from NWA have to with being a shoo-in for a job? Try getting some PIC time and becoming competitive.

I'm sure you heard of the intern who was a son off someone who had a few hundred hours and was hired at NWA. I'd be curious to see if he was still at NWA.

SCRWDbyMGMT
09-30-2007, 03:29 PM
I work at NWA. The last time NWA had a push for hiring they received over 12000 applications in the first 2 weeks. This time they receive 1200 in 2 weeks. In August they hired and trained 26 internal new hire pilots. What they don't tell you is that in August they had 50 requests for early retirement and 37 resignations. We had about 800 guys on furlough in January 2007. Only about 300 elected to return to NWA. Although I don't have a specific number, I do know that there have been a percentage of people that were on furlough, returned to NWA, and have since quit.
The work environment at NWA is terrible. However, I would imagine the environment at the other bankrupt carriers is terrible as well. So NWA is no different. Everyone knows they were cheated by the bankruptcy laws, airline management and, more importantly, ALPA. With this knowledge of being cheated, very few and, I mean VERY FEW, people are happy working at NWA. Remember, there is NO PENSION and essentially no benefits to new employees. You will have to fund your own retirement and with the current pay, that would be very difficult if not impossible.

Be very carefull in your decision. If you are educated and have other skills I would HIGHLY recommend that you carefully weigh your career choices. There are very few benefits to this career. And, this is coming from someone who has loved aviation for his entire life. I am nearly 56 and deeply regret my decision to pursue the airline dream. If you are a young guy, you have knowedge that we didn't have in the 1970's. You have already seen what has happened to career pilots. Pilots my age had no idea that companies could, or would do, what they have done to faithful employees.
There are good companies to work for but, the airlines is not one of them.

pullup
09-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Now that we have covered the tone of your post, I suppose you desreve an answer. I, unlike many who post on the internet, really like my job at NWA. I live in base and have spent almost all of my life in Mineapolis. I believe this makes all the difference.
Though my very unscientific study I have found that of those that dislike or even hate their life at NWA about 90% commute. The reverse is also true, those that like or even love their job, live in base. This would explain why the tone in DTW is generally negative(most pilots commute to DTW) and why the tone in MSP is generally more positive(I would guess a majority live in or near MSP).
I have been flying with very junior guys on the DC-9, most of which have come off furlough and almost without exception, they are thrilled to be back,and seem to enjoy the job.
All to say, it's not what it used to be but if you live in base it's still a pretty good job. The same could be said of UAL, DAL,USAirways etc.

"Bartender, I'll have what he's hav'n"...:D

XJPILOT1
09-30-2007, 08:23 PM
I work at NWA. The last time NWA had a push for hiring they received over 12000 applications in the first 2 weeks. This time they receive 1200 in 2 weeks. In August they hired and trained 26 internal new hire pilots. What they don't tell you is that in August they had 50 requests for early retirement and 37 resignations. We had about 800 guys on furlough in January 2007. Only about 300 elected to return to NWA. Although I don't have a specific number, I do know that there have been a percentage of people that were on furlough, returned to NWA, and have since quit.
The work environment at NWA is terrible. However, I would imagine the environment at the other bankrupt carriers is terrible as well. So NWA is no different. Everyone knows they were cheated by the bankruptcy laws, airline management and, more importantly, ALPA. With this knowledge of being cheated, very few and, I mean VERY FEW, people are happy working at NWA. Remember, there is NO PENSION and essentially no benefits to new employees. You will have to fund your own retirement and with the current pay, that would be very difficult if not impossible.

Be very carefull in your decision. If you are educated and have other skills I would HIGHLY recommend that you carefully weigh your career choices. There are very few benefits to this career. And, this is coming from someone who has loved aviation for his entire life. I am nearly 56 and deeply regret my decision to pursue the airline dream. If you are a young guy, you have knowedge that we didn't have in the 1970's. You have already seen what has happened to career pilots. Pilots my age had no idea that companies could, or would do, what they have done to faithful employees.
There are good companies to work for but, the airlines is not one of them.

Sweet now get your DC-9 outta my way.

newKnow
09-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Sweet now get your DC-9 outta my way.

Hey,

Dude, you're just building turbine time. Taxi time counts, too. :)

filejw
10-01-2007, 03:44 AM
Ladies and Gentleman....I too work for NWA and somewhere between Flyguy 1 and Screwed by Management is the truth...a somewhat happy median..

SCRWDbyMGMT
10-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Ladies and Gentleman... If FILEJW thinks that the majority of the NWA pilots are at a "somewhat happy median" I am happy for him. I notice that his postion is DC10CA. That would make him a wide body/international pilot.

The wide-body guys took the same paycuts that all the rest us of did. So FILEJW has had his INCOME sacrificed dramatically as well. However, what is never discussed at the wide-body level is that the draconian contract cuts in trip rig, layover hotels, minumum days, reserve rescheduling, bidding, pattern values, i.e., the stuff that makes your life bearable was stripped out of the NARROW-BODY flying with VERY LITTLE effect on the WIDE-BODY crews. One of the primary negotiators that came up with all these neet give-backs to the contract was a SENIOR WIDE-BODY CAPTAIN. He knew his suggestions would have VERY LIMITED impact on international flying. The contract for Domestic flying was raped. By the way, that SENIOR WIDE-BODY CAPTAIN is no longer flying the line and now works for ALPA National.

To be fair, other carriers quality of life issues are worse, UAL as an example. I am happy for FILEJW if he is enjoying a "somewhat happy median" in his wide-body fleet. I would estimate that 80% of the domestic pilots are extremely bitter. And, a bitter work environment does not lead to a "somewhat happy median"!

ExAF
10-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Ladies and Gentleman....I too work for NWA and somewhere between Flyguy 1 and Screwed by Management is the truth...a somewhat happy median..Typical wide-body international airline answer. Life goes on with very little change other than a pay cut. QOL didn't suffer one bit. Most of them are "relatively happy." The narrowbody fleet has an entirely different outlook and demeanor and it ain't a "relatively happy median" (whatever that is).:rolleyes:

Lighteningspeed
10-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Typical wide-body international airline answer. Life goes on with very little change other than a pay cut. QOL didn't suffer one bit. Most of them are "relatively happy." The narrowbody fleet has an entirely different outlook and demeanor and it ain't a "relatively happy median" (whatever that is).:rolleyes:

From my observation while jumpseating, I think you are right. Whatever happened to Senior CAs on widebodies looking after the entire NWA pilot welfare. It appears, widebody CAs only look after their own interest at the expense of everyone else.

XJPILOT1
10-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Hey,

Dude, you're just building turbine time. Taxi time counts, too. :)

I done building time...I have to go to the bathroom:D

L'il J.Seinfeld
10-02-2007, 07:57 AM
From my observation while jumpseating, I think you are right. Whatever happened to Senior CAs on widebodies looking after the entire NWA pilot welfare. It appears, widebody CAs only look after their own interest at the expense of everyone else.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite things about flying for UPS--one pay scale!! It's easy for the widebody guys to be out of touch with the issues faced by the domestic guys and vice versa. One pay scale at UPS has ensured, for the most part, an even distribution of seniority throughout the fleets. In fact, our most junior pilots are being assigned to factory new 747-400s with electronic flight bags.

Is there any effort at NWA or other carriers to move towards a single pay scale?

newKnow
10-02-2007, 08:29 AM
I done building time...I have to go to the bathroom:D
Xj,

I'm not sure you can log that time. But, who knows. Someone was on here asking if he could list a life experience degree in place of a college degree,,,,,,

SkyHigh
10-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I remember vividly reading an article in Career Pilot magazine on the life of a NWA widebody captain.

It was over 15 years ago and I will never forget the photo of the guy standing in his boat house showing off his rack of custom made wooden canoes. In the background his like new Cessna 185 on EDO floats was sitting nicely in its slip.

He owned the entire pond and surrounding 200 plus acres. His house was like a log palace. The guy had just turned 50, was obviously loaded and enjoying life.

I wish I still had that article.

SkyHigh

Nopac
10-02-2007, 10:39 AM
I remember vividly reading an article in Career Pilot magazine on the life of a NWA widebody captain.

It was over 15 years ago and I will never forget the photo of the guy standing in his boat house showing off his rack of custom made wooden canoes. In the background his like new Cessna 185 on EDO floats was sitting nicely in its slip.

He owned the entire pond and surrounding 200 plus acres. His house was like a log palace. The guy had just turned 50, was obviously loaded and enjoying life.

I wish I still had that article.

SkyHigh

Yeah, the widebody Captains are still doing ok. Here's a link on the life of a MEM based narrowbody First Officer.

(after the 40% pay cut) :rolleyes:

http://www.drbukk.com/gmhom/park.html

Cpt. Bat
10-06-2007, 05:01 AM
What do the future raise(s) look like? Retirement $$$?

Thanks

Bat

JoeyMeatballs
10-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Yes, I think that a retired uncle being referred to in the context as basis for a shoe in hire is a bit aggravating......Especially when coming from a regional FO, It is always good decorum to at least presume that the hiring at a legacy carrier no matter how down and out, will be at least some degree of challenge. Your post that is it's tone trivializes the job at NWA at least in this reader's view and yes among some that would cause some animosity. Especially after all that has gone on in the past few years .

Well I guess people have become accustomed to CAL's hiring practices............:rolleyes:

SCRWDbyMGMT
10-06-2007, 09:02 AM
For Cpt.Bat: The contract is 5 years duration. 1% raise each year. 5% 401k contribution, NO OTHER PENSION.

Keep in mind that a 5 year contract is really a 7 to 8 year contract Counting 2-3 years negotiating.

Based on 3% inflation per year: NWA pilots will be between 13% and 20% WORSE OFF when the contract ends than they were when they signed it!!

Does that answer your question? What do the future raise(s) look like? Retirement $$$?

Spooledup
10-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Keep in mind that a 5 year contract is really a 7 to 8 year contract Counting 2-3 years negotiating.

The ASA guys are going on 10+ years! Lets hope we find a way to stop that practice.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1