Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Oh boy... red meat for sky high

cargo hopeful
10-11-2007, 06:00 PM
I’m not sure how many of you out there get the subscription to the Flying magazine, but my brother does. So I picked it up and started flipping through the pages and stopped at the Les Abend article titled “Day Job.” It was a good read and Les talked about how his co pilot on their scheduled trip had a “side job” involving different government contracts managing aircraft operations and flight crews. On that same flight, even the relief officer had a part time job renovating homes in his spare time. Then Les goes on to question himself, “When had my career turned into a side job? All things considered, a very good read and Les also delves into more details as to why there is the need for a side job. After reading the article it just hit me that this was going to be like shooting fish in a barrel for sky high, so I figured I’d beat him to the punch and make him aware of the article… as if he wasn’t already. :D

FlyerJosh
10-11-2007, 06:13 PM
The question though is were these side jobs out of necessity or desire? Anything can be skewed one way or another. Some folks need side jobs. I would surmise that most of the folks that Les flies with don't need them to survive. They might need them to support their "high end lifestyle."

My wife says that my current job isn't really a job. Instead she jokes that it's a hobby that pays the mortgage. I have other pursuits (some of them financial) which you could call "side jobs", but I do them out of pleasure rather than necessity.

Of course with many regionals these days, side jobs are (unfortunately) necessary to survive.

Albief15
10-11-2007, 06:55 PM
To me, one of the biggest perks of the airline industry is that you can (at the right carrier) have some down time to pursue other passions.

For some guys--its businesses or money. Other guys get to be really good golfers/kayakers/big game hunters/aerobatic pilots/etc etc etc.

For me, I consider my side gigs "work", but work that is a passion and I'd probably do for free if it wasn't a business. So while it may appear at times I'm "working" on time off, it you work at something you enjoy it hardly feels like work.

I don't think you'll see many successful pilots working in cubicles or retail outlets for other people. However, you may seem them busting their butts doing things that they ENJOY doing. And after having your future determined by a seniority number, stock holders, and a cyclic economy, its kind of cool to have something that you feel like you have a bit more control over.

btwissel
10-11-2007, 08:35 PM
with jobs that have lots of downtime a lot of people find ways to make their hobbies pay.

my dad's a firefighter and he had central air conditioning, a new deck, 6 car garage, and driveway put in by other firefighters that had side jobs in the construction field. not to mention the dozens of cars he's repaired and/or maintained for other firefighters for some side money over the years.

tomgoodman
10-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Side jobs that yield real income for real work are probably a better deal than some of the harebrained schemes pilots used to invest in. One friend was given good advice by a financial expert: "Son, the best thing for you to do is fly airplanes, pay your taxes, and enjoy your time off."

aa73
10-12-2007, 05:28 AM
One friend was given good advice by a financial expert: "Son, the best thing for you to do is fly airplanes, pay your taxes, and enjoy your time off."

That is exactly my motto. I got into this career to be OFF on my days off... as in, not doing anything else and spending time with the family. Luckily, I have a relatively cheap house and no toys so I can pull it off without an extra job. The only downside to this is that I wold have to find a new flying job if we shut down, whereas those with side jobs just kind of "slide over". Ah well, I chose the risk I live with it.

Spartan07
10-12-2007, 10:12 AM
I’m not sure how many of you out there get the subscription to the Flying magazine, but my brother does. So I picked it up and started flipping through the pages and stopped at the Les Abend article titled “Day Job.” It was a good read and Les talked about how his co pilot on their scheduled trip had a “side job” involving different government contracts managing aircraft operations and flight crews. On that same flight, even the relief officer had a part time job renovating homes in his spare time. Then Les goes on to question himself, “When had my career turned into a side job? All things considered, a very good read and Les also delves into more details as to why there is the need for a side job. After reading the article it just hit me that this was going to be like shooting fish in a barrel for sky high, so I figured I’d beat him to the punch and make him aware of the article… as if he wasn’t already. :D

SKYHigh isn't our resident negative Nancy anymore. Ever since he bought that 150 he has been a lot more... not quite optimistic... but not so negative :D

XJPILOT1
10-12-2007, 11:01 AM
My "side job" is checking my eyelids for cracks. Thus far no light has penatrated them. :)

XJPILOT1
10-12-2007, 11:02 AM
SKYHigh isn't our resident negative Nancy anymore. Ever since he bought that 150 he has been a lot more... not quite optimistic... but not so negative :D

I pray every day for his salvation!!

FlyingDog
10-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Sky High will be flying for ca$h again soon ;)

sigtauenus
10-12-2007, 12:39 PM
My "side job" is checking my eyelids for cracks. Thus far no light has penatrated them. :)

Man I'd love a side job like that. How is the pay? Benefits? 401k? Any paid vacation? Do you get workman's comp when your eyelids are just too tired to keep shut anymore?

SayAgain
10-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Skyhigh bought a Cessna?? No wonder he's been so quiet. Last I heard he was getting current again...

Spartan07
10-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Skyhigh bought a Cessna?? No wonder he's been so quiet. Last I heard he was getting current again...

Yep, as soon as he bought it he wrote on here a few times about getting re-acquainted with the big blue yonder and then fell of the face of the Earth... Hm... Hope he's okay ;)

SkyHigh
10-17-2007, 06:48 AM
Thank you all for your concern. I have been busy flying my little 150 that was kind enough to be delivered to my by one of my biggest fans here on the forum.

I have spent the last few weeks flying it almost daily and searching the net for parts and information. It has been a lot of fun reaquanting myself with steep turns, slow flight and touch and go's.

My wife might even let me do some cross countries soon!!

SKyHigh

SkyHigh
10-17-2007, 07:13 AM
In reference to the Les Abend story.

My generation became pilots because we loved to fly but also because we wanted a better life than if we hadn't worked ourselves through college and flight school, then to risk our lives as CFI's and air taxi pilots. We are not satisfied with simply getting by. The dues we paid were harsh. There was no such thing as student loans for flight training. We had to pay as we went and it took a long time to get through all the ratings and massive sacrifices. Then it took years and years to get to a regional and then years and years more before you could even apply to a major.

Over the last few years the brass ring has been reduced significantly. Often it is difficult to justify leaving a left seat at a regional to start over at humiliating wages and schedules at a major. Pilots who are lucky enough to be at a major are discovering that they can not afford the life they started and are desperate to find outside income.

I was also in the same situation several years ago. While working as a regional pilot it became obvious that my chosen career could not provide for all of my needs. It couldn't even meet most of my more basic requirements. My 757 FO job only paid $1250 every two weeks. My mortgage was 1250 alone. I had a wife, two kids and one on the way when my company shut down.

Years prior I began to research other side jobs that I could do to help until my big break came. It turns out that it was my side job that became my big break. After the fall out of 911 there really wasn't a brass ring anymore. What is the point of sacrificing so much to get a job that really isn't much better than what a UPS delivery man gets? At least the delivery guy stays fit and gets to be home every night.

Les Abend is a captain and even though he sits next to FO's every day I am sure that it is difficult for him to get the perspective of what it is like to be a young FO today with a family to feed facing grim future prospects. Les took a pay cut but his situation is much different. If he has kids are most likely close to being grown, house is probably close to being paid off and his retirement position secure as a senior pilot.

My generation wears the same uniform and has almost the same job but very different career prospects than the last. It is true that a pilot at a major airline can survive on what they are getting paid but it is difficult to prosper. The next generation seems braced for a life of poverty and loss, however, I paid dues for a better life. The airlines seem incapable of providing it anymore and as such many of my peers and I must look elsewhere.

SkyHigh

edznaz
10-17-2007, 07:30 AM
See what a little "fun flying" can do for your attitude? Not a hint of "angry rant" anywhere in sight. Glad you've found some satisfaction.

Z

SkyHigh
10-17-2007, 07:50 AM
See what a little "fun flying" can do for your attitude? Not a hint of "angry rant" anywhere in sight. Glad you've found some satisfaction.

Z

My little plane is going a long way to reminding me of the simple joys of flight.

However I am sure that I still have few more angry rants left in me. :)

SkyHigh

Bowersbum
10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Where are you flying this plane out of skyhigh?

FIT59
10-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Very well written SkyHigh! Purchasing a small plane has brought me much enjoyment, and reminds me every day why I got into aviation - to fly!

Moondog
10-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Very well written SkyHigh! Purchasing a small plane has brought me much enjoyment, and reminds me every day why I got into aviation - to fly!

Don't encourage him, please......

SkyHigh
10-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Where are you flying this plane out of skyhigh?

My brother and I own a hangar at the local airport. For years I owned a tail dragger that I sold to buy a much more usable Cessna 150.

I have been surprised at how much fun that little plane is.

SkyHigh