Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Your Opinion

johnso29
10-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Do my fellow pilots think its foolish to leave a Regional CA position for a Legacy FO position before reaching 1000 PIC Turbine? If offered an Legacy FO position before hitting the 1000 mark, would you take it? Just curious what others think, even though the decision would be mine to make. Thanks for you thoughts.

JoeyMeatballs
10-20-2007, 02:36 PM
how close to the 1,000 are you? What "legacy?" kind of a dynamic question.

mike734
10-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Of course you should take it IF you want that airline for your career position. You won't need any PIC to upgrade at that airline when the time comes. If you don't intend on staying your decision is more difficult.

CactusCrew
10-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Friend of mine is stuck at America West (USAir west) because he left a commuter without achieving the 1000 PIC ... he left for USAir ... got furloughed ... went to the non-sched cargo route ... now he has few options, he's back with USAir.

If you NEVER think you will EVER need to find another job for the rest of your life ... go for it.

If not GET THE PIC TIME !

Later, CC

IMHO

MoonShot
10-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Do my fellow pilots think its foolish to leave a Regional CA position for a Legacy FO position before reaching 1000 PIC Turbine? If offered an Legacy FO position before hitting the 1000 mark, would you take it? Just curious what others think, even though the decision would be mine to make. Thanks for you thoughts.

I'm not leaving without it. That's why I haven't applied anywhere yet. I'll probably wait till I'm at 850-900 TPIC to apply. To me, having the 1000 TPIC is a nice insurance policy in the event of a furlough or wanting to abandon a sinking ship in the future.

Freightpuppy
10-20-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm not leaving without it. That's why I haven't applied anywhere yet. I'll probably wait till I'm at 850-900 TPIC to apply. To me, having the 1000 TPIC is a nice insurance policy in the event of a furlough or wanting to abandon a sinking ship in the future.

I agree that this is the best route to take.

727C47
10-20-2007, 08:33 PM
probably the smart ticket

Swedish Blender
10-20-2007, 08:47 PM
IMHO, 1000 PIC ain't what it used to be. Sure, you meet the minimums (I know, if the minimums weren't good enough, they wouldn't be the minimums), but is that competitive? Do you have help at other airlines where 1000 PIC will be enough? Is 1500, 2000 enough? What are your peers getting hired with?

Last year, SWA raised it to 1300. It's back to 1000, but what if airlines raise it to 1500? I don't know if I could turn down a legacy to wait for a number that may or may not be enough in the future. In the end, do what's best for you and yours.

As far as the USAir guy, let's be honest. Prior to 9/11, who would've waited for 1000 PIC if a legacy called? There are a lot of people at UPS who were hired prior without 1000 PIC turbine.

Superpilot92
10-20-2007, 08:55 PM
I am in the same boat. Its at a major that I wouldn't mind making a career at. I kept telling myself i wouldn't leave my Regional job before i hit the 1000PIC but that was before i received any calls. Now i am torn because i have an opportunity baring i pass the interview to get on somewhere I could potentially make a career at. I cant believe i have to even make this decision actually but I am going to give it a shot and if it doesnt happen, what did i lose? Then i am back where i was before the call which is a good spot also. Both of us have a big opportunity as well as a big decision.

I probably should have waited till i was 100% ready to move on but i honestly didnt think i would get called. Plus when are you ever going to be 100% ready in this industry to do anything. I guess i will try and get through the interview and get an offer before i get to bent out of shape. LOL

visceral
10-21-2007, 06:37 AM
I am in the same boat. Its at a major that I wouldn't mind making a career at. I kept telling myself i wouldn't leave my Regional job before i hit the 1000PIC but that was before i received any calls. Now i am torn because i have an opportunity baring i pass the interview to get on somewhere I could potentially make a career at. I cant believe i have to even make this decision actually but I am going to give it a shot and if it doesnt happen, what did i lose? Then i am back where i was before the call which is a good spot also. Both of us have a big opportunity as well as a big decision.

I probably should have waited till i was 100% ready to move on but i honestly didnt think i would get called. Plus when are you ever going to be 100% ready in this industry to do anything. I guess i will try and get through the interview and get an offer before i get to bent out of shape. LOL

Don't go into it hoping to fail ;) You'll no doubt get through it and get an offer. Hopefully, you've already accepted this and are prepared to leave XJET short of 1000 PIC. I'm not applying anywhere for this very reason. Until I get 1000 PIC...someday...far away, I'll suck it up at Colgan.

HercDriver130
10-21-2007, 08:07 AM
If its a place you can make your final stop...( barring unforeseen circumstances ) ..then yea... interview and accept if offered.

SamFoxpilot
10-21-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm not in the same boat, but I wouldn't necessarily view 1000 PIC as a sure fire insurance policy....how 'bout those guys getting hired and going into training ahead of you while you wait on the sidelines building your time? Building seniority helps too...gotta weigh the risks on both sides.

shredder
10-22-2007, 10:08 AM
If it's someplace you can see yourself staying with and being happy at for the long haul, then go for it....otherwise stay where you can get PIC until you get the hours for your "dream job". Just my .02. Good luck no matter your decision.

Superpilot92
10-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Don't go into it hoping to fail ;) You'll no doubt get through it and get an offer. Hopefully, you've already accepted this and are prepared to leave XJET short of 1000 PIC. I'm not applying anywhere for this very reason. Until I get 1000 PIC...someday...far away, I'll suck it up at Colgan.

I know thats what i keep thinking. I am going to give it my all as i would love to get offered the job. I just have to get past that big scary 747-200 sim:eek: lol

frozenboxhauler
10-22-2007, 08:16 PM
If it's someplace you can see yourself staying with and being happy at for the long haul, then go for it....otherwise stay where you can get PIC until you get the hours for your "dream job". Just my .02. Good luck no matter your decision.

I agree completely. Whatever decision you make will be the correct one.
fbh

Pilot41
10-23-2007, 05:14 AM

Are you nuts, no way. Leave

aerobato
10-23-2007, 05:40 AM
Which legacy is hiring with below 1000 PIC? I remember when it was hard to get a regional job with time like that. Good on ya...

I think that these mins are going to decrease as time goes on because there will be less and less guys with the PIC time to fill the classes at the Legacy carriers.

Of course you won't know if it is a place that you will spend your career, none of us know that. You will have to take the risk at some point PIC time or not. I say go for it, because staying at a crappy paying regional is a waste of time. I mean you could be making more dough as a plumber or something..

johnso29
10-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Which legacy is hiring with below 1000 PIC? I remember when it was hard to get a regional job with time like that. Good on ya...

I think that these mins are going to decrease as time goes on because there will be less and less guys with the PIC time to fill the classes at the Legacy carriers.

Of course you won't know if it is a place that you will spend your career, none of us know that. You will have to take the risk at some point PIC time or not. I say go for it, because staying at a crappy paying regional is a waste of time. I mean you could be making more dough as a plumber or something..

NWA, UAL, CAL, and DAL are all hiring with less than 1000PIC Turbine.