Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Southwest pool

Brown
10-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Got a buddy in the SWA pool. Has been in there since the second week of August, 2007. Any idea when he can expect a class date.

(Why am I asking for a buddy? I'm not, I'm asking for my wife who is planning a shower...)

luv2fly2
10-22-2007, 05:08 PM
My pool date was the middle of April and I just finished training in Dallas.. Hope that helps with a time line--- There have been 2 classes begin since the start of my class..

GhettoBeechjet
10-22-2007, 05:11 PM
I went in the pool during the second week of Aug as well. Last week the People dept told me that I am slated for class 13 which should happen in early July if they don't do any classes in Dec and don't do more or less than the usual 2 in any month. Hope that helps

Brown
10-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks. That helps.

But, OUCH! Didn't expect that. Seems to be about a year wait then from the time hired to class. WTH?

Spanky189
10-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Interviewed Jun '01. Drug test in Jul '01. Hired in Aug '01. 737 Type/'in the pool' in Nov '01. Class date offered in Mar '03 (activated at the time). It can take a while. I know patience doesn't pay the bills but it pays off in the long run.

Brown
10-24-2007, 03:34 AM
Why the slowdown over there?

1Seat 1Engine
10-24-2007, 10:40 AM
You have to realize that we were hiring at an incredible rate and now were hiring at a more normal rate.

I think the leadership is worried about the economy in general, not SWA specifically. If the economy drops into a recession with gas prices at record highs and we still add 19 airplanes in the next year, that's probably a good sign that the company is strong.

Moondog
10-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Rumor is SWA is going back to the 34 original order. Just what I heard.

Moondog

Bernie
10-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Moondog,
Great rumor. I'm still hearing ~summer '08 for us summer '07 poolies. Got your type rating yet?

Bernie

Moondog
10-25-2007, 04:10 AM
Moondog,
Great rumor. I'm still hearing ~summer '08 for us summer '07 poolies. Got your type rating yet?

Bernie

Hey Bernie,
Thats just what I heard, but it is a good rumor. Yeah, got the type in Sep, so no telling when I can start. The only sure thing is when I will become unemployed, so I hope its sooner than summer. Hope all is well with ya.

Moondog

mulcher
10-25-2007, 07:01 AM
I just flew with a CA that was told in EPT, that we are adding all 34 planes next year. Subject to change during next months EPT classes.

shadow95
10-25-2007, 04:01 PM
What is EPT? Assuming all the planes are added next year, any thoughts on what this would do to the hiring? I am assuming it would speed things up a bit. Any thoughts? Thanks.

mulcher
10-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Emergency Procedures Training

I had heard all in the pool would be used up by summer, so hiring would begin in spring. Not sure if thats sped up or not.

This is all subject to change though. If its all true even.

Canuck
10-25-2007, 06:20 PM
With this delay in training in mind, how long before separation from the Air Force should one apply to SWA?

Rocco
10-25-2007, 07:16 PM
With this delay in training in mind, how long before separation from the Air Force should one apply to SWA?

ASAP...1 year out is the earliest you can put an app on file with SWA if you are AD.

bigfatdaddy
10-25-2007, 07:20 PM
How long does an app stay on file with SWA?

Razor
10-25-2007, 07:36 PM
This is from SWA's Third Quarter Earnings news release on their website.

"As previously announced, we are pruning our flight schedule in fourth quarter 2007 and slowing our fourth quarter 2007 and full year 2008 available seat mile growth to the five to six percent range on a year-over-year basis. We have nine and 29 firm Boeing 737-700 aircraft deliveries in fourth quarter 2007 and full year 2008, respectively. We currently plan to reduce 2008 fleet growth by at least ten aircraft, bringing 2008 planned additions to no more than 19 net aircraft

The way I read this, they will take delivery of all 29 aircraft next year but the net growth will be a max of 19 additional jets.

Kelly also said they are working for international code share in 2009 and that there is no work being done to fly SWA jets internationally. He said they don't plan to add any new cities in 2008.

exp96
10-26-2007, 10:56 AM
I am hearing that some of the older -300's are the ones on the way out. Supposedly, there won't be enough return on investment to upgrade them to meet future RNP requirements.

C17MooseDriver
10-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Heard from friend who just went through his 737 type at HPA, that the PD told him late spring is when they'll start to rehire.

SWAcapt
10-26-2007, 04:40 PM
New RUMOR: The older -300's aren't really going to be retired, just converted to freighters for night freight.:eek:

Roger Ball
10-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Hey...that's an OLD rumor!

Biage
10-27-2007, 12:26 PM
What about the rumor of getting 787's to fly nonstop coast-to-coast and possibly international? I know there are many advantages to having only 1 fleet type, but the bigger money is in international and eventually the domestic markets are going to be saturated. Seems 787's could be a plausible growth strategy. ??? Plus, the 787 is supposed to be cheaper than the 73 to operate.

Swedish Blender
10-27-2007, 05:07 PM
New RUMOR: The older -300's aren't really going to be retired, just converted to freighters for night freight.:eek:

I was just shocked. I saw brown had a new hire come from Southwest.

1Seat 1Engine
10-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I heard this freight thing straight from a very high placed company exec except with a few changes.

SWA seriously considered using the 200's to carry a foreign freight company's packages inside the US after they were retired from pax svc. However, the range of the a/c wasn't enough to meet the contract requirements. My impression was that this wasn't a huge operation but more of small thing to get the foot in the door and generate revenue with assets we already had.

Maybe the increased range of a soon to be retired 300 makes this do-able?

flaps 9
10-27-2007, 08:33 PM
I was just shocked. I saw brown had a new hire come from Southwest.

There's at least one more in the pool :D

CRJAV8OR
11-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Just heard from a friend at SWA that the latest company communication reaffirms the 6% growth rate for 2008. For all those swimming in the pool with me, I hope you can remember that "survival float" from swimming lessons. Oh well, at least I still have my crappy regional job.

exp96
11-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Just heard from a friend at SWA that the latest company communication reaffirms the 6% growth rate for 2008. For all those swimming in the pool with me, I hope you can remember that "survival float" from swimming lessons. Oh well, at least I still have my crappy regional job.

I am also swimming. SWA PD sent me a form letter last week stating the same thing. I thought all the poolees got the same letter.

flyinDego
11-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Just came from a job fair and spoke to the reps who are maintaining Apr 08 for interviews, Oct 08 for classes, unless you are already in the pool.

SamFoxpilot
11-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I am also swimming. SWA PD sent me a form letter last week stating the same thing. I thought all the poolees got the same letter.

Not everyone got that letter. I got a Halloween card from PD though. :)

Cork32
11-02-2007, 06:42 PM
How long does an app stay on file with SWA?

If you don't update an online app it will drop out after 6 months.

exp96
11-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Not everyone got that letter. I got a Halloween card from PD though. :)

October 25, 2007

Dear Southwest Airlines Pilot "Poolie"

We hope this letter finds you and your family well as the Holiday Seaon approaches. We want to communicate as much information as possible to those of you currently our Pilot pool. You've no doubt seen recent press releases regarding future growth plans at Southwest Airlines. The leaders at Southwest have remodeled the projected eight percent growth plans to a more modest six percent growth for the upcoming year. This slight reduction will also be reflected in our new Pilot classes. We currently don't anticipate any new hire classes until early 2008.

We realize it may be difficult to appreciate from your current perspective, but the decisions made now will ensure the long term growth and prosperity of your future employer. Additionaly, we appreciate the situation many of you are in and we understand living in limbo can be fustrating. We thank you for your patience as we gather information to structure upcoming class sizes and dates to reflect the upcoming growth plans at Southwest Airlines.

One of the primary sources of information for all employees at Southwest Airlines is our monthly magazine affectionately known as LUV Lines. In this issue you will find many great stories highlighting members of our Southwest Family.

Thank you for your patience and please don't hesitate to contact the People Department with any questions or concerns. Much "LUV" sent your way.

Sincerely,

The People and Flight Operations Departments

CRJAV8OR
11-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Yes, I got the same letter, but there were lots of rumors flying at SWA that the company was re-evaluating their growth plan for '08. It just goes to show, rumors are just that.

worldliner777
11-03-2007, 01:27 PM
How many poolies are still waiting for the "pooly letter" from SWA? Just checking to make sure that everyone is gettting the letter. What happen if you do not receive the letter? Does this mean you are not in the pool!?

exp96
11-03-2007, 02:52 PM
How many poolies are still waiting for the "pooly letter" from SWA? Just checking to make sure that everyone is gettting the letter. What happen if you do not receive the letter? Does this mean you are not in the pool!?

I don't think they are very consistent with what they send to who. I got the letter I posted above, SamFoxPilot got a Halloween card, and one of my friends got an email. One other friend didn't hear anything.

I do know that a few of us have different people who are our "contact" person in the PD. The difference in correspondence may have to do with who the contact person is.

Tarheel
11-03-2007, 07:24 PM
If you're having doubts about you status, just call. I don't think they're playing games over there. If you didin't get the letter or e-mail, call to make sure they have the most current contact info.

exp96
11-04-2007, 08:21 AM
If you don't update an online app it will drop out after 6 months.

I didn't update mine for almost 2 years after I first filled it out and it stayed active.

SamFoxpilot
11-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Sorry...I need to clarify myself. I got the Halloween "card" via email. I also got the poolie letter yesterday.

Cork32
11-04-2007, 10:24 AM
I didn't update mine for almost 2 years after I first filled it out and it stayed active.

I'm just repeating what I've heard the PD say on a couple of occasions but they also emailed me to interview back in August which never happened, so what do I know.

Brown
11-04-2007, 04:11 PM
I doubt if everybody in the pool will wait it out for the duration so class dates might happen sooner for the people that do wait around.

I wonder if that is the reason for the letter? SWA is worried that people will take other jobs in the meantime. I probably would. The idea of being in a pool so long while passing up other opportunities would make me pretty nervous.

Rocco
11-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I doubt if everybody in the pool will wait it out for the duration so class dates might happen sooner for the people that do wait around.

I wonder if that is the reason for the letter? SWA is worried that people will take other jobs in the meantime. I probably would. The idea of being in a pool so long while passing up other opportunities would make me pretty nervous.

I would be surprised if people took other jobs....unless they were not working. SWA has a pretty good rep in that department so far. I dont think they would do anything to change that....they will keep their poolies updated.

Even if they "dont" grow beyond the 4% or so, they are getting a bunch of 73's next year (at least 17) and lots of age 60 retirements:eek:

Albief15
11-04-2007, 05:09 PM
I would be surprised if people took other jobs....unless they were not working. SWA has a pretty good rep in that department so far. I dont think they would do anything to change that....they will keep their poolies updated.

Even if they "dont" grow beyond the 4% or so, they are getting a bunch of 73's next year (at least 17) and lots of age 60 retirements:eek:

A job at SWA is a great thing. A place in the pool won't buy you a cup of coffee. I know several guys at Delta now who are in the pool. Whether they leave DAL or not will be a cost/benefit analysis when the time comes.

As for age 60 retirements--thanks to APAAD they'll soon be over. Time to upgrade at 6% (vice) 8% growth plus the lower retirement rate will mean a much longer (9-12 year) vice 5-7 year captain upgrade we are used to seeing. You can write all the "Luv" letters you want, but its just business in the end. Those in the pool will explore their other business options. If SWA is still the better deal...they'll be there in a year or so. If by then they are happy at CAL or DAL or UPS or FDX...maybe not. Time will tell...

Rocco
11-04-2007, 05:26 PM
A job at SWA is a great thing. A place in the pool won't buy you a cup of coffee. I know several guys at Delta now who are in the pool. Whether they leave DAL or not will be a cost/benefit analysis when the time comes.

As for age 60 retirements--thanks to APAAD they'll soon be over. Time to upgrade at 6% (vice) 8% growth plus the lower retirement rate will mean a much longer (9-12 year) vice 5-7 year captain upgrade we are used to seeing. You can write all the "Luv" letters you want, but its just business in the end. Those in the pool will explore their other business options. If SWA is still the better deal...they'll be there in a year or so. If by then they are happy at CAL or DAL or UPS or FDX...maybe not. Time will tell...

I agree with you. A pool letter will not put food on the table or pay the bills. You have to do what is best for you and yes business is business.

I thought the 60 thing was gonna get shelved this year when congress goes home for the holidays...didnt look like they were gonna put it to a vote this year IMO. Isn't age 65 discrimination too? (Sorry I could not resist)

SamFoxpilot
11-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Nothing is for certain. I'm still holding out for my training date, but it is very hard. I've got an interview for a corporate G450/550 job coming up. If I get the offer, I have a hard decision to make.

How many great opportunities do I turn down waiting for that coveted training date? What happens if that hoped for training date gets pushed back yet again?? No one knows the future--you just have to do what's right for you and your family at the time.

Rocco
11-06-2007, 07:51 PM
If I get the offer, I have a hard decision to make.

No decision at all. If you get the gulfstream job...take it. When SWA calls and you want to do that...take it. Business is just that.

SamFoxpilot
11-07-2007, 05:21 AM
If it was just me that would be fine. Gotta think about a wife with a good job and two kids in school--uprooting them to take the corporate job is not an easy decision. Would prefer to do it only once.

I'm going to the interview anyway.

Canuck
11-07-2007, 09:19 AM
If you are in the pool, is there still a chance that SWA could turn around and tell you that you no longer have a job offer?

SamFoxpilot
11-07-2007, 06:41 PM
If you are in the pool, is there still a chance that SWA could turn around and tell you that you no longer have a job offer?

Chances of that I think are pretty slim--unless it's self inflicted. You would have to give them a good reason to kick you out of the pool. You are in the pool for as long as you can stand it.

PD was even willing to discuss adjusting my availability date in case I took a job requiring a minimum time for employment (contract). They told me that unless I tell them to take me out, they will keep me in the pool for as long as necessary. Luckily, I didn't have to worry about a contract. I'm available next week, if they call. :)