Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : SkyWest, Horizon, Express Jet

jollygreensg
01-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Hey just curious of what ya'll think of these companies, who you would work for and why, and who are you working for?

I have been considering going to all 3 of these companies and just trying to figure out which would be best for me

Thanks for the help

Nevets
01-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Where do you live?

Roper92
01-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Amen brotha, I would try to dodge commuting if at all possible. All 3 are great companies in my eyes. Are you not seeing any future in your Gulfstream job? Wanna trade??

skid
01-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Horizon. I know slow upgrade. But I used to work there and I live in PDX. THat is my main reason. Commuting SUX!! You dont make enough in this industry to justify giving up a day off a week and all the stress of it and not to mention you are not getting paid for it.

WhiteH2O
01-17-2008, 01:13 PM
From what I hear, Horizon isn't planning on doing more hiring in the foreseeable future. Isn't X-Jet not hiring at the moment? I think Skywest is still taking people.

Age 65 is going to be messing stuff up for a while.

JetJock16
01-17-2008, 01:21 PM
There all good airlines and they all have their selling points.

Horizon has the industries highest hourly rates but you’ll sit reserve for a very long time and it will take you 5+ years to upgrade which pretty much negates the higher wages because you can upgrade at other airlines in half the time which will net you more.

SKW is among the highest in total compensation with excellent growth and LOTS of pilot domiciles. Along with excellent QOL and work rules. You’ll upgrade in 2-3 years and sit very little reserve.

XJT is almost among the highest pay and QOL. I won’t speak of their growth but I wish all XJT pilots the best and I truly hope you retain all of your current CAL flying. Their Branded flying's not turning a profit but hopefully oil prices will start to fall and their profitably will improve.

You really can’t go wrong with any of the three, but ask yourself:

1. Where do you want to live? Try not to commute because it dramatically increases you cost and decrease your QOL.

And

2. Do you plan on making a move to the majors in 5-7 years? If so then Horizon isn’t the quickest upgrade and probably should be looked at more like a career airline.

ps. These are just highlights, you need to dig deeper by talking specifically to a pilot from each airline about their airline and no other seeing that one pilots opinion about another airline isn't entirely accurate.

Check this thread out for some of their details.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/showthread.php?t=14048

Roper92
01-17-2008, 01:25 PM
There you are JetJock! I was thinking about you at the airport when I tried to jumpseat on an RAH EMB-170. Was I able to get on the airplane that I claimed to be vastly superior to the CRJ-700? NO!! Why? They were so weight restricted, that not only did I not make it, neither did 10 other REVENUE passengers! Ridiculous! It was an 1:30 flight. The weather was great on both sides meaning no alternate required. The fuel was cheaper at the destination meaning no tankering fuel. Holy crap! So here it is, you were right!

JetJock16
01-17-2008, 01:33 PM
There you are JetJock! I was thinking about you at the airport when I tried to jumpseat on an RAH EMB-170. Was I able to get on the airplane that I claimed to be vastly superior to the CRJ-700? NO!! Why? They were so weight restricted, that not only did I not make it, neither did 10 other REVENUE passengers! Ridiculous! It was an 1:30 flight. The weather was great on both sides meaning no alternate required. The fuel was cheaper at the destination meaning no tankering fuel. Holy crap! So here it is, you were right!

Alright this is off topic. BTW, left MKE for ATL yesterday with 76 Pax, 1 jump in the actual, 15K in fuel with an alternate of BHM, 3900 lbs of cargo and never had to recalculate or manipulate any numbers. :p LOL! (Please note sarcasm)

Both serve their purposes well so let’s drop it. If you've been looking for me you haven't been looking hard seeing there are so many other threads I've been frequenting. Good to see you back and best to you.

dojetdriver
01-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey just curious of what ya'll think of these companies, who you would work for and why, and who are you working for?

I have been considering going to all 3 of these companies and just trying to figure out which would be best for me

Thanks for the help

Out of curiosity, are you currently typed on the 450? Are you in a position to move into the left seat of the 450?

UCLAbruins
01-17-2008, 01:40 PM
We're all thinking the same thing. You have a G-IV type and looking for a regional job???? Can I ask why???

dojetdriver
01-17-2008, 01:48 PM
We're all thinking the same thing. You have a G-IV type and looking for a regional job???? Can I ask why???

I don't think he said he was typed on the 450, only that he was a co-pilot on it. That's why I asked the question. Maybe he was able to slide into the job, but has no prospect to upgrade, or get a type in it.

But if he is, I'm thinking that as well. If he has the chance, upgrade in the 450, or is typed, get some turbine PIC, and more importantly make A LOT more money in the process.

I can guarantee you that just about EVERY Gulfstream co-captain makes more than an RJ pilot. And in some cases, has a better QOL. Not ALL the time, but mostly.

Outlaw2097
01-17-2008, 01:53 PM
to me, a regional is a regional.

i view those 3 as the top of the line, but to me it makes the difference of if you request a kleenex or a tissue

Roper92
01-17-2008, 01:59 PM
First time on in a while. I do have a life.. However, just wanted to let you know about my experience..

jollygreensg
01-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Hey guys,

Well to awnser the questions out there, ive just been helping out with the G till they hired on someone full time and they have, so im here if they need me, no type in it yet, but they require a ton of hours to get typed, ive just helped out a little bit on the side for a few people.

I live in Fresno now flying whatever i can whenever i can.

Want to get turbine time built up,

Was looking at horizon air there not hiring right now, xpress jet is looking to start a few classes this spring, skywest just started to look at cause there pay starting out wasnt all that great.

Any idea how fast that pay goes up?

UCLAbruins
01-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey guys,

Well to awnser the questions out there, ive just been helping out with the G till they hired on someone full time and they have, so im here if they need me, no type in it yet, but they require a ton of hours to get typed, ive just helped out a little bit on the side for a few people.

Want to get turbine time built up,

?

That makes more sense. There are G-IV, G-V guys outthere doing contract work, they can make as much as 1500 USD a day. Obviously to get those jobs you'll need some serious int'l experience.

JetJock16
01-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey guys,

........., skywest just started to look at cause there pay starting out wasnt all that great.

Any idea how fast that pay goes up?

If you live in Cal then SKW is you best option. LOTS of Cal bases on both a/c and don't fixate on the first year pay to much. They all suck! Ours is going up here real soon but with our work rules you do just fine your first year. Also remember that holding a line at SKW making 22/hr you'll make more than sitting reserve at Horizon, which you will do for almost a year (35 day bid period for guarantee lowers your yearly income quite a bit ($29 x 75 = x 10.43 bid periods per year = $22,683). Plus, sitting reserve doesn't put to many hours in your log book. At SKW you might sit reserve for 2 months after that expect to put 80+ block per month in your book with around $27-$30K in income your first year and around $45K your second.

BTW, XJT has LAX & ONT as well.

jollygreensg
01-17-2008, 04:06 PM
thanks alot guys, it helps to have somone who has been there, most of the pilots I know are either been in the airline industry for 20 years or corporate guys.

BusDriverPNW
01-17-2008, 07:23 PM
If you live in Cal then SKW is you best option. LOTS of Cal bases on both a/c and don't fixate on the first year pay to much. They all suck! Ours is going up here real soon but with our work rules you do just fine your first year. Also remember that holding a line at SKW making 22/hr you'll make more than sitting reserve at Horizon, which you will do for almost a year (35 day bid period for guarantee lowers your yearly income quite a bit ($29 x 75 = x 10.43 bid periods per year = $22,683). Plus, sitting reserve doesn't put to many hours in your log book. At SKW you might sit reserve for 2 months after that expect to put 80+ block per month in your book with around $27-$30K in income your first year and around $45K your second.

BTW, XJT has LAX & ONT as well.

Your wrong! At horizon it is a 35 day bid but min guarantee for a reserve line holder is 86.00 Hours (92.00 for line holder) therefore 29.00 X 86 = 2494. So Horizon is the highest paying, you are right about spending a year on reserve though. Horizon is hireing the website is wrong just they wont be doing alot! So apply if you want.

JetJock16
01-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Your wrong! At horizon it is a 35 day bid but min guarantee for a reserve line holder is 86.00 Hours (92.00 for line holder) therefore 29.00 X 86 = 2494. So Horizon is the highest paying, you are right about spending a year on reserve though. Horizon is hireing the website is wrong just they wont be doing alot! So apply if you want.

OK, so it's 900/10.4=86 which is equal to 75x12. I see and I stand corrected.

Thank you.

ImperialxRat
01-17-2008, 11:58 PM
XJT won't be running a new hire class until April. That's about all the info I can give to you right now. So far I have no complaints with the company, and we have a good contract (regional standards).

If you live in Fresno, I would be looking at SKYW. As far as I know, their KFAT base is still relatively junior.

Dash8Pilot
01-18-2008, 05:28 AM
Also remember that holding a line at SKW making 22/hr you'll make more than sitting reserve at Horizon, which you will do for almost a year (35 day bid period for guarantee lowers your yearly income quite a bit ($29 x 75 = x 10.43 bid periods per year = $22,683).

35 day bid does not lower your annual pay because the reserve guarantee is 86.3 hours per bid, which is roughly 75 hours per month. BTW, my first year at QX I sat reserve the entire time, put around 550 hours in my logbook, and including per-diem had a gross income of 33K. So, I likely made more first year at Horizon on reserve than I would at SkyWest as a lineholder.

JetJock16
01-18-2008, 06:40 AM
35 day bid does not lower your annual pay because the reserve guarantee is 86.3 hours per bid, which is roughly 75 hours per month.

Beating a dead horse, back you a few postings.

SongMan
01-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Hi,

What about if you live in Oakland? Where would be the closest base for Skywest? For Junior, would San Fran, OAK, or other near by base be possible?

thanks!

WhiteH2O
01-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Horizon is hireing the website is wrong just they wont be doing alot! So apply if you want.

Are you sure about that? I heard from a few people at PDX Ops that said that the interviews on the 16th were the last interviews until they see exactly what this age 65 thing does to them. They seemed to think they were done for a while.

polarpop
01-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Age 65 is going to be messing stuff up for a while.

Yes it is! Especially for all of us trying to move on from a regional...:(

polarpop
01-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Hi,

What about if you live in Oakland? Where would be the closest base for Skywest? For Junior, would San Fran, OAK, or other near by base be possible?

thanks!

the closest skywest domiciles are san francsico, sacramento, monterey, and fresno. smf, mry and fat all have recent hires there in the brasilia and crj...

ImperialxRat
01-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Oh I forgot to say that I'm at XJT, so clearly it is the superior regional airline.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1