Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Atreyu
02-13-2008, 08:19 AM
First one is supposed to be coming in tommorrow to our maintenance hangar. I've heard anywhere from 5-10 jets coming in. Only issue is we don't have enough flight attendants to fly them as of right now, but we're hiring.

Kinda explains the class of 40 First Officers we have right now. Last time a class was that big was Sep'06 after the furlough and the mass exodus

Zach
02-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Are they all going to be on the United side?

threegreen
02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
have a feeling TSA will be coming to UND soon again

AV8ER
02-13-2008, 10:23 AM
I hope all this is true, but I won't get my hopes up until its online. But supposedy between jan, feb, and march, they were hiring 100 pilots. We still have some attrition, but the hiring is higher then normal. We'll see I guess.

ExperimentalAB
02-13-2008, 12:41 PM
It's too bad Hulas is getting new business, but I'm certainly glad for all ya'll working in his sweat-shop...ya'll deserve it! Just make sure you get all the bugs out of those Mesa planes first ;)

grossole
02-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Was there a news release or something? where did you hear it? not being critical, would just like to know if its official yet.

reevesofskyking
02-13-2008, 01:33 PM
I am still waiting on the memo that USair pulled out of PIT

My guess is there is not going to be antying official until you walk down the bridge and find that airplane has a new smell, and then I will know that we have new airplanes

I just heard the other day from one of my friends that he heard from Mx there were 4-16 planes, and maybe even 30, or some other obcene number.

i have my doubts that it is any more than 4 or 5?

reeves

JayHub
02-13-2008, 03:21 PM
I heard from RL that it was 4 or 5....united side

ToiletDuck
02-13-2008, 04:48 PM
First one is supposed to be coming in tommorrow to our maintenance hangar. I've heard anywhere from 5-10 jets coming in. Only issue is we don't have enough flight attendants to fly them as of right now, but we're hiring.

Kinda explains the class of 40 First Officers we have right now. Last time a class was that big was Sep'06 after the furlough and the mass exodus

Well bugger. I was thinking RAH would be picking them up. We'll need something to replace the CRJs in IAH.

paxhauler85
02-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Well bugger. I was thinking RAH would be picking them up. We'll need something to replace the CRJs in IAH.

Are these coming from our Freedom operation or the small fleet of UA 145's we have based in IAD?

btwissel
02-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Are these coming from our Freedom operation or the small fleet of UA 145's we have based in IAD?

hmm, never knew you guys had jungle jets in IAD. all i've ever seen are crjs

and good to see TSA folks getting more flying. now beat hulas over the head with a better contract.

flynavyj
02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
i saw beat him over the head with a main gear strut, would probably do the job better...then we'll spread the $28 million in profits amongst the rest of us, and call it a day as we apply to somewhere else....eh, im just grumpy after a 15 hr day.

Atreyu
02-13-2008, 10:04 PM
no news releases, but this has been coming out of the mouths of sim instructors for a while now, and mx came out to our plane in RIC on tuesday and confirmed the first new plane was coming in on thursday

a couple of weeks ago, there was mx on one of our aircraft in louisville (i think?) and a guy said "oh yea, you guys have some planes getting painted down over there from mesa

ExperimentalAB
02-14-2008, 08:07 AM
I don't know about Mesa's Jungle-jets, but right now I am sitting in First-class on a Mesa CR7, and must admit that this is THE most hard and uncomfortable seat I have EVER been in. I'd rather be in the Jumpseat of a SkyWest aircraft any day of the week - they are far more comfortable!!

I hope Trans States plans on gutting those aircraft...

BTW, still sitting on the plane at the gate - delayed due to MX...imagine that!

Edited to say that from my seat in row 1, I can count no less than 7 - yes folks, that's right - 7 MEL stickers, as well as the INOP placard on the armrest beside me! :eek: I should have waited for mainline...

AV8ER
02-14-2008, 08:53 AM
I hope Trans States plans on gutting those aircraft...

Have you been on one of our POS planes? You think they care?

Bmcfly23
02-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Im going out on a limb and believing 4 maybe 5 ...but the 14 or 22 or 30 or any other number you guys can count up to is ridiculous.

And you have to admit, the guy who started the rumor of thirty had to be friendly with his captain to get help counting that high. jk

Cheers to the hulas crews..

ExperimentalAB
02-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Have you been on one of our POS planes? You think they care?

I've flown most, if not all of them, and come to think about it, you're absolutely right LoL.

Atreyu
02-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Im going out on a limb and believing 4 maybe 5 ...but the 14 or 22 or 30 or any other number you guys can count up to is ridiculous.

And you have to admit, the guy who started the rumor of thirty had to be friendly with his captain to get help counting that high. jk

Cheers to the hulas crews..
yea, i Agree with 4-7

no way anything more than 8, we DEFINITLEY don't have enough people for that

flyinaway411
02-14-2008, 10:04 PM
but I'm certainly glad for all ya'll working in his sweat-shop...ya'll deserve it!

And you have to admit, the guy who started the rumor of thirty had to be friendly with his captain to get help counting that high.

i count two morons posting on here, guess i must be above average

ExperimentalAB
02-14-2008, 10:48 PM
i count two morons posting on here, guess i must be above average

Have you got a problem with me again? Sorry dude, but I can talk all I want about Hulas - I earned that right...! Get over it.

flybywire44
02-15-2008, 05:35 AM
Have you got a problem with me again? Sorry dude, but I can talk all I want about Hulas - I earned that right...! Get over it.

If you're a regional pilot you're in the sweat shop as well bro.

Thats great news for TSA! I'm sure the regionals will, for the short team, learn from MESA's mistake of abusing pilots.

reevesofskyking
02-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Not a rumor anymore,
internal news release on our site now

flyinaway411
02-15-2008, 09:33 AM

Amen Brotha

Atreyu
02-15-2008, 09:33 AM
It's only 3

Still not too shabby, that's about 6 extra lines of flying I'd guess

grossole
02-15-2008, 09:42 AM
It's only 3

Still not too shabby, that's about 6 extra lines of flying I'd guess

I couldn't decide if its three or four. They say four once, then three, then two internal and two new planes. And also three new planes starting service, then two more? The numbers are confusing.

ExperimentalAB
02-15-2008, 10:58 AM

Thats great news for TSA! I'm sure the regionals will, for the short team, learn from MESA's mistake of abusing pilots.

Absolutely, but don't try and fool anyone into thinking that all sweatshops were created equal!

reevesofskyking
02-15-2008, 11:00 AM
they way I took it was loosing two on american, and then 4 airplanes total.
so a net gain of two airplanes, 48 to 50

but the four that we get will goto the united flying

Atreyu
02-15-2008, 11:36 AM
they way I took it was loosing two on american, and then 4 airplanes total.
so a net gain of two airplanes, 48 to 50

but the four that we get will goto the united flying
Hopefully with all the new flying we get for United, maybe they'll decide to open an ORD or IAD base :o

A LOT of people would like that, especially commuters. No more two leg commutes thru other hubs, just one leggers

reevesofskyking
02-15-2008, 12:12 PM
I would not hold my breath on that one,

I have not heard anything from the company that they have even thought about it.

I would agree, that would be nice

flyinaway411
02-15-2008, 03:39 PM

as previously stated, you're a moron. you can talk about earning whatever, but pretty much all you did hear is pass a checkride. a regional is a regional man. you need to get over it. its a place to get time and get out. who cares who gets whose flying. just fly your a$$ off and get out. im so sick of reading your jibberish!

ExperimentalAB
02-15-2008, 05:21 PM
as previously stated, you're a moron. you can talk about earning whatever, but pretty much all you did hear is pass a checkride. a regional is a regional man. you need to get over it. its a place to get time and get out. who cares who gets whose flying. just fly your a$$ off and get out. im so sick of reading your jibberish!

You know that not only did I pass a checkride (which over 65% of the class either never got to take, or busted at least once), but I also spent enough time on the Line to know that it wasn't right for me. I don't care if you're perfectly happy there - I wasn't, and so I found better. I'll put my time in here, as opposed to Trans States, before I "get out," thank you very much!

And when have I ever complained about who was getting what flying? Actually, I thought I was saying how glad I was ya'll were getting more. Some people just can't be happy! Whatever...

btw, calling somebody a "moron" on an Online forum? Very big of you...again. Feel free to add me to your block list ;)

flybywire44
02-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Absolutely, but don't try and fool anyone into thinking that all sweatshops were created equal!

If you're someone who is staying at MESA for life then you might have a problem. Heck, even if you're staying at Skywest for life you might have a problem... Get in and out. ;)

Pilotpip
02-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Flyinaway,

"It's a place to get in, get time and get out." Tell that to the captains that have been there for YEARS because they can't get out. Let me guess, you're probably a newbie sitting on reserve because there's no way anybody that's been there more than 6 months talks like that.

Three planes. I'm glad I bailed. They already have enough coverage sitting on reserve to man those things. If you're in the bottom 30 or so on the FO seniority list you're going to be sitting in that right seat for quite a while.

Experimental echoed my exact feelings. I'll build my build my time somewhere that people actually LIKE working.

flyinaway411
02-15-2008, 07:28 PM
top 30 of fo list, so you refigure out how long ive been here. another person who doesn't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. again, i dont care who got what planes or how many, it doesnt matter. the only reason i post here is because i get tired of hearing arrogant skywest pilots voice their useless opinions and criticisms about the tsa pilot group or things they think they know about. and plenty of captains can get out, they choose not to because of the (what i think to be not so good) excuse of "i cant take the paycut" or "maybe in a year or so, its hard because i live in stl." that is their personal decision, just as leaving was yours, but plenty can get out. its a regional and its a place to build time quickly, and get the hell out, if you choose to do so. also, the reserve coverage is not what you say it is, trust me. you guys need to get educated or shut up.

ExperimentalAB
02-15-2008, 07:40 PM
top 30 of fo list, so you refigure out how long ive been here. another person who doesn't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. again, i dont care who got what planes or how many, it doesnt matter. the only reason i post here is because i get tired of hearing arrogant skywest pilots voice their useless opinions and criticisms about the tsa pilot group or things they think they know about. and plenty of captains can get out, they choose not to because of the (what i think to be not so good) excuse of "i cant take the paycut" or "maybe in a year or so, its hard because i live in stl." that is their personal decision, just as leaving was yours, but plenty can get out. its a regional and its a place to build time quickly, and get the hell out, if you choose to do so. also, the reserve coverage is not what you say it is, trust me. you guys need to get educated or shut up.

You're just mad at the world.

flyinaway411
02-15-2008, 07:45 PM
well that means nothing to me. i think the "get in and get out" attitude is a pretty healthy one. come to think of it, im actually a pretty happy guy. i just dont like you.

reevesofskyking
02-15-2008, 08:35 PM
well that means nothing to me. i think the "get in and get out" attitude is a pretty healthy one. come to think of it, im actually a pretty happy guy. i just dont like you.

In alot of ways I agree with what you have said, just do not take the time to say it.

As for experimental, I am not mad at the world, and I am mostly content with what I am doing.

To some degree there is some truth to the fact some CA have been year for years, well I guess that is true, why they stay is completly different, I agree there is more to it that they cannot leave, JR CA's leave every month.

I think is fair to ***** about the CO or the Mangement all you want, but also be fair and state why you stay too.

I will be open to say this. I am content, I like how my schedule works for the most part. I am stubborn now, and I want to see the contract through, support that guys that have been from when this contract was signed, I can learn from them. I think TSA is an alright place if you can make through and learn, regardless of how bad the pilot groups dislikes the low time guys, the have always taken care of them, and really none of us there after the furlough got any less of a treatment.

I want to stay and give back to the pilot groups, and above all else, I dont have the time to go anywhere else right at the moment.

I showed you my hand, time see your cards.

so when I complain about something, thats alright, I choose to stay here, and now you know why.

flyinaway411
02-15-2008, 08:44 PM
well said reeves. and good for you! we have a good group of pilots here, your just a sample of that. thankfully the weak ones are at other companies dealing with substandard pay proposals with no union backing.

Pilotpip
02-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Flyin,

I'm happy you're that high up on the seniority. Had I been that high, I would have stayed too. However, there were quite a few FO's moving back from RIC because of the cuts there, and the movement will stop if the hiring at the major levels slows. 11 hour four days get really old, really fast. Most of the captains I consulted felt that I was doing what they would have done had they known how crappy that company is. Hulas paid $20k or so to give me a few hundred hours and get me to the company I wanted to go to in the first place. I worked as a ramper for two years there, got to see hulas, and all the idiots in scheduling for two years working at an FBO across the field. My education is just fine, thank you.

Had not gotten an offer from RAH, I would have had no problem staying. I probably would have bid reserve so I could fly more. The low lines were that bad.

TSA has a good MEC right now and a very united group of pilots. I hope you guys kick the crap out of Hulas on this next contract, and get a ton of retro pay for working on the old contract for so long. My rat sticker is staying on my bag, and GJ will have to find another way home if I have anything to say about it.

ExperimentalAB
02-16-2008, 01:19 PM
well said reeves. and good for you! we have a good group of pilots here, your just a sample of that. thankfully the weak ones are at other companies dealing with substandard pay proposals with no union backing.

Yes. Reeves is a really good guy, but dude, you are freakin' nuts.

reevesofskyking
02-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Yes. Reeves is a really good guy, but dude, you are freakin' nuts.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Just cause I stayed, does not make me nuts.

I dont take, nor need medication, I am just as healthy now as I was before I was hired.

I knew what I was getting into when I got hired, and I will say this again, I had no expectations, nor have I been dissappointed.

What I do have going for me is the ability to think on my own, or what my wife tells me to think, and make my choices for what ever reason, and then being able to live with the outcomes.

That is what I do from month to month.

For me, this is not the worst thing I have done.

The day I become nuts is when I sit and dwell on the fact that some other pilot group got a better contract, but do nothing to support our efforts. There are other things that I see, and happen to me everytime I go on a trip, but I will be nuts when the little things that **** me off now, I will not be able to let it go and become bitter and haggered and not wanting to do this anymore.

I still like coming to work, I still like getting the amount of time off that I do, and I cannot get that anywhere else right now.

Bottom line, I did that to myself, and there are many more people out there that I feel like this place has something to offer them. It is not for everyone, but it is for some.
You make out of it what you put in.

I did this to myself and I willing to live with it. Nuts is doing this, and blaming it on someone else

Reeves

POPA
02-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Hopefully with all the new flying we get for United, maybe they'll decide to open an ORD or IAD base :o

A LOT of people would like that, especially commuters. No more two leg commutes thru other hubs, just one leggers

I doubt TSA will open another base. Even with all of the flying they do or have done out of PIT, ORD, and IAD, they've gone for years with just the RIC and STL bases. It seems to work for them so far. Another base wouldn't be terrible, but you definitely don't want to end up with what we've got here at CHQ. All of these outstation bases really hurt our schedules by spreading the flying over too many lines. I haven't looked closely at the distances, but off the top of my head I'd be willing to bet that all of our 145 bases are within a five-hour drive of another base. Now that CLE is opening, we've got three bases in Ohio alone.
I'm happy for the TSA pilot group that you guys are getting more flying. I don't know how you'll staff it (especially on the CA side) considering what I hear from the people who are still there, but I don't know of many harder-working groups of pilots.

the turtle
02-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Well if you get 825 from Mesa, thats the one the chick smashed in ROA back in '01

Atreyu
02-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Wow, alot of TSA bashing in here, all because I posted that we got 3 more jets.

I commute out of ORD to go to work at TSA instead of working for Skywest or CHQ side on the 190's. Why? Because I'm at a regional for my 1000hrs of PIC, which will happen the quickest here as well. I was in the first few classes that came to Trans States after the mass exodus occured, and as bad as everything is, I have nothing to complain about.

Only thing I'm jealous about is how hot the skywest flight attendants are....

ExperimentalAB
02-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Reeves - No worries man, I was calling flyinaway nuts, not you!

Koolaidman
02-17-2008, 04:48 PM
As long as you guys have the attitude of "get in, get my 1000 PIC, get out", you have no reason to stay and fight for a better contract. That is why places like Mesa and TSA have crappy work rules and continue to stick around.

ExperimentalAB
02-17-2008, 04:58 PM
As long as you guys have the attitude of "get in, get my 1000 PIC, get out", you have no reason to stay and fight for a better contract. That is why places like Mesa and TSA have crappy work rules and continue to stick around.

Bingo my friend!

Foxcow
02-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Well if you get 825 from Mesa, thats the one the chick smashed in ROA back in '01

I remember hearing about that a while ago :eek:

STILL GROUNDED
02-29-2008, 10:02 PM

That will be 175's Duck.

ExperimentalAB
03-01-2008, 08:37 AM
That will be 175's Duck.

Dream on dude...that is very short-sighted to hope for!

STILL GROUNDED
03-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Dream on dude...that is very short-sighted to hope for!

First of all that was directed at the Duck, he gets it. Secondly, what don't you guys get? That is not a hope of mine or any other dreamer who would like to go fly big metal at a what was once Legacy carrier. Furthermore read some of my posts the last thing I am is short sighted. I am however also a realist to a point and if you don' think "the powers that be" are not working on a way for Continental customers to be flying on larger regional jets you are in la-la land, Dude.

PS: It's not a bad thing to be a dreamer if it were most of us would not be in here.

Atreyu
03-12-2008, 08:16 PM
so far we have 834mj :-x

Nevets
03-13-2008, 11:07 PM
the only reason i post here is because i get tired of hearing arrogant skywest pilots voice their useless opinions and criticisms about the tsa pilot group or things they think they know about.

It's not just skywest pilots that do that. But I agree that it seems like its very fashionable for people here to bash TSA and MESA.

I don't know how you'll staff it (especially on the CA side) considering what I hear from the people who are still there, but I don't know of many harder-working groups of pilots.

Maybe they should consider bargaining for a clause in their contract to allow Mesa pilots to transfer over with longevity when their aircraft transition (ala ASA did for SKW).

How about for those that follow you? Just because you "have the attitude of get in, get my 1000 PIC, get out" doesn't mean that you can't "fight for a better contract" while you are there.

Nice attitude.:rolleyes:

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1